Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/1/2024 11:17:54 AM EDT
It’s finally time to upgrade and those are the discounted models at this time. I’m leaning towards the 15 Plus though my biggest concern is breaking it by sitting down with it in my back pocket. I saw a  few YouTube videos showing the Plus versions being more susceptible to flexing and breaking.

Has anyone had that happen? Or for that matter had both models and can give first hand experience and advice?

Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 11:19:27 AM EDT
[#1]
I’m still rockin the 7, so I am of no assistance. Lol
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 11:31:05 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a 15 Pro Max that I carry in a back pocket all the time. I’ve only sat on it a couple times and nothing’s happened. That being said, it’s just a matter of training yourself.

Also, if you can find someone to buy and ship to you, get a Canadian model with an actual SIM tray. The US models only have eSIMs and they’re a fucking pain in the ass.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 11:32:17 AM EDT
[#3]
I went pro max because of the 5x camera

Wish I could get it in a smaller phone
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 11:32:28 AM EDT
[#4]
When its time to replace my phone i tend to buy the newest one then hold on to it for a long time

I say get the newest
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 11:33:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By WhistlePig270:
View Quote

Ha! I’m on an 8 and the battery health failing is the main reason I’m upgrading
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 11:34:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By MMcCall:
I have a 15 Pro Max that I carry in a back pocket all the time. I’ve only sat on it a couple times and nothing’s happened. That being said, it’s just a matter of training yourself.

Also, if you can find someone to buy and ship to you, get a Canadian model with an actual SIM tray. The US models only have eSIMs and they’re a fucking pain in the ass.
View Quote

Thanks!  Why are the e sims a PIA?  I’d be getting it from ATT at Costco
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 11:35:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By ttushooter:
When its time to replace my phone i tend to buy the newest one then hold on to it for a long time

I say get the newest
View Quote

Same here
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 11:37:07 AM EDT
[#8]
15 Pro Max temporary Master Race.

Carry mine in an Otterbox Fre. Outstanding protection and doesn't add too much bulk to the phone.

I upgrade every other model and pass mine down to my wife with plenty of life left and in immaculate condition. She somehow manages to ruin them, which is why I don't spend $1,500 getting her a new phone. Instead she ruins the $1,000 trade-in value hand me down.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 11:38:28 AM EDT
[#9]
15 has the USB-C connector.

This has had problems with CarPlay (random disconnecting), if that's important to you.

If you're heavily invested in Lightning cables, this would be an extra cost.

I upgraded from an XS, but I mostly charge via wireless. The CarPlay disconnecting is annoying, but not a huge deal since I have a dash-mounted MagSafe mount/charger.

Link Posted: 5/1/2024 11:55:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Get the 15 and don't put it in your back pocket
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 11:57:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By NY12ga:

View Quote

They're not a pain.  Just different.  It's a non issue.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 12:00:16 PM EDT
[#12]
GF has the 15 Pro Max. It is slightly larger, slightly, then my S24+, and almost twice as heavy. The pictures she takes are breath taking.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 12:08:15 PM EDT
[#13]
I have the 14 and enjoy it. It wears the thinest bikini cover I could find, I'm not too hard on phones only dropping them and putting them underwater every once in a while kayaking.

I buy every-other model so I'm skipping the 15 and will wait for the 6.3" iPhone 16 out this fall.

Want more spacial videos.

iPhone 16 Rumors
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 12:35:19 PM EDT
[#14]
I’ve got the 15 Plus (work provided). Love the camera and battery life, but it’s larger than I prefer.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 1:37:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By TinLeg:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

If you have one phone and only one phone, that's configured by the carrier and never changed or replaced, it's fine.  I just spent three days without service on AT&T while they un-fucked an eSIM issue on their back end.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 5:52:10 PM EDT
[#16]

If you have one phone and only one phone, that's configured by the carrier and never changed or replaced, it's fine.  I just spent three days without service on AT&T while they un-fucked an eSIM issue on their back end.
View Quote
A perfect example of how our country is fucked.

Delete the eSIM, have them provision your service and issue a new eSIM. You should have been back up and running inside of 3 minutes.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 6:24:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Mall-Ninja:
15 has the USB-C connector.

This has had problems with CarPlay (random disconnecting), if that's important to you.

If you're heavily invested in Lightning cables, this would be an extra cost.

I upgraded from an XS, but I mostly charge via wireless. The CarPlay disconnecting is annoying, but not a huge deal since I have a dash-mounted MagSafe mount/charger.

View Quote

Really?

Multiple 4 hour drives with my 15 Pro Max and no CarPlay issues.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 6:39:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By right_rudder:
A perfect example of how our country is fucked.

Delete the eSIM, have them provision your service and issue a new eSIM. You should have been back up and running inside of 3 minutes.
View Quote

Well, yeah, in theory.  In practice, when they refuse to attach your number to the right IMEI and all you get on the phone is scripted diversity hires, it's a bit different.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 6:55:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By ttushooter:

I say get the newest
View Quote

Yup
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 6:59:36 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm still rockin the 7, so I am of no assistance. Lol
View Quote
I'm using a 6s.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:03:14 PM EDT
[#21]
I have a 15 promax and love it, I still have a 7 for work and would not want to go back to a small phone.

I too saw the videos of them being allegedly easy to break and it caused me pause but I decided to just go for it and buy AppleCare.  My old one was 5 generations old.

I keep mine in a thin minimalist case, and due to work I am in and out of the car all day. I sit down in the car with it in my back pocket probably at least 5 times a day and I haven’t had it bend yet.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:05:32 PM EDT
[#22]
I have the 15. It’s nice. But didn’t realize it had the usb-c and that’s been a huge pain.  Getting new cables.

USB-usb-c cables don’t seem to work with it. ESP with things like battery packs/ generators, car 12v adapters.

I wish I had got a 14 just for that.

The camera is way better than my wife’s 14 tho.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:12:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By right_rudder:
Get the 15 and don't put it in your back pocket
View Quote

Is this copacetic now?

Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:12:40 PM EDT
[#24]
View Quote

No, and it never will be unless you've got a Tricorder in there.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:18:08 PM EDT
[#25]

No, and it never will be unless you've got a Tricorder in there.
View Quote

Seems logical

Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:19:51 PM EDT
[#26]
I’d honestly wait and see what the 16 is going to bring to the table this fall.  I looked at upgrade options last week.  All are just slight improvements imo, we know the 15 had issues.  Might be best to wait a bit longer.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:20:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Only ever seen females carry a phone in their back pocket

16 will be out in a few months.

Link Posted: 5/2/2024 8:41:20 AM EDT
[#28]

Sucks to switch out the Lightning cables, but USB C is so much better, and my iPad Pro and MacBook already use the C. My AirPods are Lightning, but also wireless, so no biggie.

Backing up my 15 to my MacBook is also faster with the C than the Lightning was.

Link Posted: 5/2/2024 8:55:10 AM EDT
[#29]
I just went from the 13 to the 15.  

I like the 15 over the 13.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 9:02:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: cruze5] [#30]
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 9:31:16 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By IronOnMe:
I have a 15 promax and love it, I still have a 7 for work and would not want to go back to a small phone.

I too saw the videos of them being allegedly easy to break and it caused me pause but I decided to just go for it and buy AppleCare.  My old one was 5 generations old.

I keep mine in a thin minimalist case, and due to work I am in and out of the car all day. I sit down in the car with it in my back pocket probably at least 5 times a day and I haven’t had it bend yet.
View Quote

Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 9:31:56 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Rosta97:
I have the 15. It’s nice. But didn’t realize it had the usb-c and that’s been a huge pain.  Getting new cables.

USB-usb-c cables don’t seem to work with it. ESP with things like battery packs/ generators, car 12v adapters.

I wish I had got a 14 just for that.

The camera is way better than my wife’s 14 tho.
View Quote

Oh. Now that’s interesting. Anyone else have this issue?
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 10:24:42 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By cruze5:
iwent with the standard 15 with usbc

its whatever.

i am pissed it says my battery life is already at 97% and its not even a year old... WTF
i would usually get that after 2 years

they say the newer phone batteries last longer....   whatever.    this is the first phone i have ever bought Apple care because i did not have fail in first gen usbc iphone

i carry my phones in my front pockets..
View Quote
How many charge cycles are on your battery?
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 10:29:49 AM EDT
[#34]
Will the new ones fit in a front shirt pocket?
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 10:29:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Malhass] [#35]
It’s finally time to upgrade and those are the discounted models at this time. I’m leaning towards the 15 Plus though my biggest concern is breaking it by sitting down with it in my back pocket. I saw a  few YouTube videos showing the Plus versions being more susceptible to flexing and breaking.

Has anyone had that happen? Or for that matter had both models and can give first hand experience and advice?

Thanks in advance!
View Quote
otterbox case ?
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 10:37:21 AM EDT
[#36]
Android is what you seek
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 10:43:49 AM EDT
[#37]
If the camera function is important I would get the latest, and greatest. Apple Iphones have great cameras.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 10:45:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TinLeg] [#38]

View Quote

USB-A to USB-C can be tricky if not done right.  Cheap cables are often not done right.

To eliminate potential cable issues, use one recommended by Apple.  This one on the apple website, for example.  Apple Store Belkin Cable.

In general, it's best to use USB-C to USB-C wherever possible.  FWIW - almost all USB is going this direction, and Apple USB-C cables are some of the best.  I use them almost exclusively for all devices.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 10:49:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TinLeg] [#39]
Originally Posted By M4-AK:
Will the new ones fit in a front shirt pocket?
View Quote

Front shirt pockets are different sizes.  My 15 promax with a Peak Design case fits inside those shirts i have that do have front pockets.  It's quite heavy for a front pocket so I don't carry it that way.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 10:51:44 AM EDT
[#40]
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

My 7 got really really slow, I upgraded to a free iPhone 11.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 10:57:34 AM EDT
[#41]

View Quote

No. I was on Android and already had a bunch of USB C stuff when I switched to the Pro Max 15 …… zero problems and I use cigarette lighter adapters, charging blocks from Amazon on the phone and my AirPod Pros
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 11:39:53 AM EDT
[#42]

USB-A to USB-C can be tricky if not done right.  Cheap cables are often not done right.

To eliminate potential cable issues, use one recommended by Apple.  This one on the apple website, for example.  Apple Store Belkin Cable.

In general, it's best to use USB-C to USB-C wherever possible.  FWIW - almost all USB is going this direction, and Apple USB-C cables are some of the best.  I use them almost exclusively for all devices.
View Quote
All the above.

it's worth noting that all USB cables are not created equal.
The $5 cable you got standing in line at the gas station will likely charge fine but probably not sync data. And all USB C cables that sync data will not all sync at the same speed.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 11:41:10 AM EDT
[#43]
View Quote

Me too!
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 11:51:10 AM EDT
[#44]
Have a 15 Pro Max that I only carry in my back pocket. Had a 12 Max Pro that I only carried in my back pocket for 3 years. Not a problem with either one.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 11:55:55 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Narwhals:
Android is what you seek
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/2/2024 12:02:47 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 12:06:46 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By bluemax_1:

Really?

Multiple 4 hour drives with my 15 Pro Max and no CarPlay issues.
View Quote

The wife got a new 15 Plus and says that the Carplay won't stay connected. She's visiting family out of state right now so I haven't had a chance to mess with it. We got it up and running after she got the phone, but a few days into her trip it quit.

On another note, I was disappointed when we were shopping to find out that the Mini has been discontinued. Hopefully my 12 Mini will last a long time.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 12:11:27 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By cruze5:
View Quote
That's about right.

3% delta over 100 or less cycles when new isn't anything to worry about. The battery likely wasn't "100%" out of the box.
the battery is allowed a variance and yours is within that limit.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 12:12:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Clarinath] [#49]
The 15 Pro Max takes amazing pictures...

Attachment Attached File

That was taken from about 25 feet away.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 12:14:09 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By 549:

The wife got a new 15 Plus and says that the Carplay won't stay connected. She's visiting family out of state right now so I haven't had a chance to mess with it. We got it up and running after she got the phone, but a few days into her trip it quit.

On another note, I was disappointed when we were shopping to find out that the Mini has been discontinued. Hopefully my 12 Mini will last a long time.
View Quote

Kia / Hyundai?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top