Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Dogs got the cat (Page 3 of 4)
Page / 4
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 12:59:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Dogs are not humans. They don’t act or think like humans. Regardless of how many Disney movies you’ve seen. And I own and love dogs and cats. They’re well behaved, but trust them to go against nature….NO.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 1:21:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Prey drive is real especially in GSDs… Prey drive is very real with GSDs/Mal’s in a packAttachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 1:34:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: King_Mud] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By midmo:

Re-reading OP, it looks like barn cat followed OP out into the field so was presumably alive.
View Quote
Don't sweat it. Most of GD can't read anyway and the rest might actually believe it was a zombie.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 1:37:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Mr_Nasty99:

Why is it completely acceptable for a cat to hunt small animals and be okay around kids, but a dog that hunts a small animals in a pasture is suddenly a threat to the child?

Even domesticated animals are still animals... it doesn't matter how much a person loves them.
View Quote

You mean besides the fact that the dog can kill a child quite easily and a cat, if it attacks like it is rabid, may give you no more than a stitches?

Oh, nothing. No difference at all.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 1:45:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By ramairthree:

My life is filled with dozens of friends, colleagues, relatives, etc. that have had dogs chase down and get a squirrel, snake, rabbit, possum, raccoons, etc. even a cat wandering into their fenced yard from someone else-
Without ever harming one of the kids or family members.

Prey drive and aggression are very different things.
View Quote

Prey drive is a form of aggression, certainly when the target is killed.  You might use the word aggression to mean aggression towards people, but that doesn't change the definition of the word.  Concern about the possible intersection of strong prey drive in big/strong animals and small/weak humans or pets is valid.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 1:48:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By X-CaptHook:
Don’t tell your daughter. Regardless of what type of story you have to make up. No point in her hating the dogs just for doing dog things.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/1/2024 1:50:14 PM EDT
[#7]
that's so freaking sad.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 1:52:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By AmericanPeople:

How do people come to this viewpoint?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SnapCity:
Time to kill the dogs.

Some people may have sociopathic tendencies, are trying to be edgy, maybe not that bright or could be a-holes.

My GSD has a prey drive towards cats, bunnies and squirrels. He has never gone after a little kid or any dog of any size.

OP's dogs thought they were going after a little critter on the property. It's as simple as that.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 2:01:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Prey drive.  If the cat was running away this kicks in and instinct takes over.  Unfortunate but the dogs probably didn’t know what they were chasing till they were on it.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 2:01:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Duke117] [#10]
Originally Posted By uncle_big_green:

Some people may have sociopathic tendencies, are trying to be edgy, maybe not that bright or could be a-holes.

My GSD has a prey drive towards cats, bunnies and squirrels. He has never gone after a little kid or any dog of any size.

OP's dogs thought they were going after a little critter on the property. It's as simple as that.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By uncle_big_green:
Originally Posted By SnapCity:
Time to kill the dogs.

100% THIS.
An unidentified furry creature in tall grass.

What’s so ridiculous about some of the responses here advocating for removing the dogs is that according to OP, the conditions were such that no clear field of view was available to the dogs to provide IFF.

If they saw the cat on an open area and still elected to kill it, maybe a different story.
Given the circumstances, it was over long before any recognition of a family cat could have been made.

As far as drawing parallels between what happened and a sudden, newfound risk to children? Bullshit..
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 2:03:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Just go to the pound and get another cat. If it turns out that by getting new cats you are just feeding the dogs, quit getting cats.

We had a Sheppard that hated all other animals except her sister my husky. We would find dead coyotes, she killed a neighbors pitbull, killed a lap dog, if it strayed into her territory she was going to kill it. She was also the most loyal protective dog you could ever ask for.

My dad told anyone who ever came to our house to not bring their dogs because Sadie would kill them. His advice was not listened to one time and that’s how she got the lap dog.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 2:07:20 PM EDT
[#12]

View Quote

There's a lot of people here that are pure douchebags.

Which is actually an insult to douchebags as they serve a purpose.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 2:08:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Your dogs are assholes.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 2:10:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Breed of Peace
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 2:11:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Duke117] [#15]
Holy Fuck…that’s a plot twist I didn’t see coming
Let’s see if the dog killing sociopaths show back up to eat their words..

OP, go apologize to your dogs.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/1/2024 2:11:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Have the low T city folk showed up ye..........
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 2:12:18 PM EDT
[#17]
See OP's update in OP, and some of you can eat (more) crow.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 2:16:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By HK_FTW:
Well my barn cat was back in the barn this afternoon when I got home from the shop alive and well.  I walked out to the scene of the crime and sure enough there is a dead cat.  I never considered the possibility of another black cat getting caught out there.
View Quote

So your dogs saved you from an unfamiliar animal that was stalking you. They should get a steak, not be re-homed.

Link Posted: 5/1/2024 2:21:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By RoccoOnFire:

So your dogs saved you from an unfamiliar animal that was stalking you. They should get a steak, not be re-homed.

View All Quotes
Well my barn cat was back in the barn this afternoon when I got home from the shop alive and well.  I walked out to the scene of the crime and sure enough there is a dead cat.  I never considered the possibility of another black cat getting caught out there.

this.

even if it had been the barn cat they did a good deed.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 2:22:50 PM EDT
[#20]

View Quote

Yeah I'm going to eat crow while they have steak and eggs tonight.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 2:23:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Dishwashers have killed more cats than my GSD.

I need a t-shirt with that.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 2:25:22 PM EDT
[#22]

View Quote

100%  excellent work!!
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 2:38:07 PM EDT
[#23]
LOL

Well not for stranger kitty I guess.  

I thought that was kind of weird behavior for GSD's and a cat they were accustomed to.

Link Posted: 5/1/2024 2:56:41 PM EDT
[#24]
About 20 yrs ago I buried our outside cat, Brewster.  I found him dead in the road.  The next day my wife called me at work and
said, "Brewster is on the back porch."  It turned out I buried a cat that looked just like Brewster.  I was glad he wasn't dead.  He
was the best cat I have ever known.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 3:29:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Sauce:

Prey drive is a form of aggression, certainly when the target is killed.  You might use the word aggression to mean aggression towards people, but that doesn't change the definition of the word.  Concern about the possible intersection of strong prey drive in big/strong animals and small/weak humans or pets is valid.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Sauce:
Originally Posted By ramairthree:

My life is filled with dozens of friends, colleagues, relatives, etc. that have had dogs chase down and get a squirrel, snake, rabbit, possum, raccoons, etc. even a cat wandering into their fenced yard from someone else-
Without ever harming one of the kids or family members.

Prey drive and aggression are very different things.

FFS if every dog that pounced on a bird that bounced off a window, dug up a mole, chased and/or caught a squirrel or rabbit,
Etc. was going to kill children there would be like 87% less kids alive out there.

The entire thing we are discussing is danger/aggression towards people.  

And it ends up not even being the barn cat.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 3:36:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 3:40:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Mow the vegetation.  Don't blame the dogs.
View Quote
LOL, You think they would not have done this if it was a pristine golf course or much shorter grass?
Originally Posted By Kiju:
well, good to see that the Holy German Shepard is a fuck up, after all...
condolences to your daughter, for the loss of her friend.
View Quote
I have a Chocolate Lab and another Large 100+ pound mutt.

I had put hands on the Chocolate lab, to get her to drop the neighbors cat, who somehow got into our fenced in back yard.
She thankfully didn't kill the cat (I prefer to avoid neighbor drama if possible), but she sure slung the shit outta that thing.

Either of my dogs will open an extra large can of whoop ass on any animal that sets paw in their backyard.
Both of my neighbors big ass Pits have came over (before I fenced in the section for the dogs) and got a pretty good beat down.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 3:43:33 PM EDT
[#28]

A goose wandered off the farm where my daughter was working so my daughter and another hand drove out to pick it up and bring it back.

Turns out it was a different goose and they'd essentially rolled up and stolen a goose out of someone's front yard.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 4:03:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By mnd:

A goose wandered off the farm where my daughter was working so my daughter and another hand drove out to pick it up and bring it back.

Turns out it was a different goose and they'd essentially rolled up and stolen a goose out of someone's front yard.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By mnd:

Goosenapping. Is that FBI or DNR jurisdiction?
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 4:49:33 PM EDT
[#30]

Re-reading OP, it looks like barn cat followed OP out into the field so was presumably alive.
View All Quotes

Definitely odd, at least as far as my experience goes anyway.
Are you sure the cat was alive when they found it?

This is what I'm wondering too. Are you sure the dogs weren't picking up on whatever just killed the cat?

I just reread it, and OP says he didn't know the cat had followed him into the pasture because of the overgrowth from the rain. He never says that he knows the cat is there, until the dogs 'pick up on something.'

Pretty sure, later he responded that he didn't call them off because he didn't know it was the cat.

I've heard cats fighting, and it's usually very loud. It may be something that was very obvious to OP, but he never says that he sees the cat alive or fighting. The cat may have already been dead/dying.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 4:53:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By -Obsessed-:

You mean besides the fact that the dog can kill a child quite easily and a cat, if it attacks like it is rabid, may give you no more than a stitches?

View All Quotes

Why is it completely acceptable for a cat to hunt small animals and be okay around kids, but a dog that hunts a small animals in a pasture is suddenly a threat to the child?

Even domesticated animals are still animals... it doesn't matter how much a person loves them.

Obviously the dog is a bigger threat to a small child's life. I didn't mean it as an attack against cats or cat owners. But I don't think a parent would let any animal or object be around a small child that might injure and mame the child.

I was pointing out that it's completely expected for one domestic animal to give into its instincts, but not the other.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 4:56:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Think of all the birds your dogs saved.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 4:58:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HecklerKac] [#33]
Sorry about the cat

Dont take it out on the dogs for doing what dogs do though

Edit: Dont tell your daughter either...nothing good will come from it
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 5:05:01 PM EDT
[#34]
Wow...the amount of grown men on here that are fantasizing about killing a dog over dogs killing a cat is crazy. Go get some help immediately.

Some weirdos out there holy shit
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 5:06:19 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By HecklerKac:
Wow...the amount of grown men on here that are fantasizing about killing a dog over dogs killing a cat is crazy. Go get some help immediately.

Some weirdos out there holy shit
View Quote

Goes both ways, plenty around here that want cats dead.  I just don't get it (either side).
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 5:06:52 PM EDT
[#36]
Sorry about the cat

View Quote

OP updated, cat came back.  Turns out the dogs killed a different, similar looking, cat.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 5:09:31 PM EDT
[#37]

Yeah I'm going to eat crow while they have steak and eggs tonight.
View Quote
Shit happens OP.  At least you don't have to tell your daughter the cat disappeared.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 5:09:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HecklerKac] [#38]

View All Quotes

Dogs chasing and killing cats has been happening since time and memorial. There are literally phrases and sayings and jokes and cartoons based on it. To assume that a dog is in any way unsafe around humans just because it wants to chase or kill small animals is insane.

Cats guys especially can be some fuckin weirdos.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 5:10:54 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By DV8EDD:

OP updated, cat came back.  Turns out the dogs killed a different, similar looking, cat.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DV8EDD:
Sorry about the cat

Yeah I just saw that....shits wild
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 5:21:59 PM EDT
[#40]
EDIT for pet cemetery

View Quote

Lol WTF?!

This thread just got epic!
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 5:24:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SnapCity] [#41]
View Quote

Pendulum swings both ways.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 6:34:44 PM EDT
[#42]

View Quote

I know a few adults who have had life changing injuries from domestic cats.   You’re underselling the damage cats can dish out.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 6:35:55 PM EDT
[#43]
Black cats do have 9 lives
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:33:34 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By PeepEater:
Tools that don't work correctly get thrown away.
View Quote

Living tools don't train themselves, and even then, will do stoopid shit.

People that think like you shouldn't own dogs.

My wife has cats, and I can't stand them, they're filthy creatures that don't belong in my home, I'd take them all to the pound tomorrow, but I'd take a bullet for my dog.

Some people love cats, they're just not my thing, I guess.

Glad it worked out op, it's never fun to see a little kid in pain.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:46:21 PM EDT
[#45]
All is well that ends well I suppose.

I would be leery of them if they killed another member of the family pack, but killing an intruder is just what they do. Steaks it is!

Glad no rash decisions were made.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:49:19 PM EDT
[#46]

EDIT for pet cemetery

View Quote
Sounds like the dogs did their job.  I hate dealing with it but my dogs keep the neighborhood fairly free from stray cats which for some reason like getting into my yard.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 8:05:46 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By fingas:
Sounds like the dogs did their job.  I hate dealing with it but my dogs keep the neighborhood fairly free from stray cats which for some reason like getting into my yard.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By fingas:

EDIT for pet cemetery

Dogs are still predisposed to eat OP kids though, what do we do about that?
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 8:16:01 PM EDT
[#48]

Because the dog obviously has tendencies that are not compatible with safe rearing of a 6 year old child.

I had a cat that hated my newborn and would just randomly attack her.

That cat is long gone. Sorry, but pets are not the same level as children and if you risk ones safety for the sake of keeping the other around you fall into the same group of people who are surprised when their innocent pibble mauled their toddler to death.

Animal shows any aggression at all, then they just deemed themselves disposable. You can't train out aggression.
View Quote
My GSPs will maul anything furred (except other dogs), feathered and one time finned that I haven't specifically showed them was in my care. Yet I would, without reservation, leave them in a daycare unattended knowing the only outcome would be two happy dogs and a bunch of smiling kids.  My dogs have super high prey drive but know that other humans aren't prey , I don't know that I've ever heard them growl at a human being except when a homeless guy ran towards my wife who was pushing a stroller with my two year old in it.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 8:17:11 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By wakeboarder:

Do you bring your houseplants as well?
View Quote
Don't give my wife any ideas.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 8:17:33 PM EDT
[#50]
I know you said shepherds, but you can tell us.
They were pitbulls, weren't they?
It's ok.
Page / 4
Dogs got the cat (Page 3 of 4)
Top Top