Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/29/2024 4:50:00 PM EDT
I'm right handed.  I'm VERY right handed.  Spent most of my life doing everything with my right hand with no regard to how this would affect muscular balance.  Since it's never too late, I'd like to try to fix a problem I've noticed.  It's most prevalent in pulling movements.  I can feel my right side lats doing much more work than my left side.  Now, how to fix this?  My thought is to do some movement like dumbbell rows with only my left hand to bring that side up to the same level of strength as my right.  First question, is this a reasonable theory? If not, what's a better approach?  If it is a reasonable theory, in what order should I do the movements?  I had thought of doing the dumbbell row first to sort of pre-exhaust the left side lats before hitting with regular barbell rows. I'm not sure that's appropriate for this situation because by my logic that side will already be tired when I switch to barbell rows and therefore my right side would do even more work. That seems like it would make the problem even worse.  On the other hand, I could do the barbell rows first and then finish off my left side with the dumbbell row.  That seems more logical but I'm curious as to what the hive thinks.  

Thanks for your thoughts.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 5:16:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Do you know which of your eyes are dominant? I think body weight exercises are the best way to gain balance. Chin ups and pushups going slow and deliberate so you use both arms consistently.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 5:45:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cruze5] [#2]
removed.  please keep that to yourself not a public forum  

-cruze5
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 6:42:09 PM EDT
[#3]
MAPS Symmetry

I would buy the above the next time it's on 50% off. (Actually, that would be now with code GETFIT... I just checked my E-mails. Good today and tomorrow.) And run it as written.

But what you want to do is Unilateral movements - dumbells and Kettlebells, not Barbells. Do your left side first, and match it with your right. Even if you CAN do more on your right - don't.

Always start weak side, and don't push any harder than that side can do on your dominant side.  That's how you got in this boat.

Now, that's somewhat easier said than done if you don't have big dumbells, but if you do that... it'll even out, at least mostly. The size should, regardless. Your agility... well, that's why you're right handed and not ambidextrous.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:07:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By QueenDeNile:
Do you know which of your eyes are dominant? I think body weight exercises are the best way to gain balance. Chin ups and pushups going slow and deliberate so you use both arms consistently.
View Quote

Cross.  Right handed but left eye dominant.

I get the same affect doing pullups.  I can feel my right side working much harder.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:08:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ASUsax:
MAPS Symmetry

I would buy the above the next time it's on 50% off. (Actually, that would be now with code GETFIT... I just checked my E-mails. Good today and tomorrow.) And run it as written.

But what you want to do is Unilateral movements - dumbells and Kettlebells, not Barbells. Do your left side first, and match it with your right. Even if you CAN do more on your right - don't.

Always start weak side, and don't push any harder than that side can do on your dominant side.  That's how you got in this boat.

Now, that's somewhat easier said than done if you don't have big dumbells, but if you do that... it'll even out, at least mostly. The size should, regardless. Your agility... well, that's why you're right handed and not ambidextrous.
View Quote

Wellllllllll crap.  I'm already doing that with concentration curls for the exact reason I created this thread.  Seems so obvious.  That must be why I missed it.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:43:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Progress your left side with the rows, and match it with the right side.

So if you do a set and get 7 reps (or whatever), do 7 with the same weight on the other side. Might feel easy, but it will ensure you get equal work on each side, and should close the gap a bit over time.
Top Top