Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 5:26:12 PM EDT
[#1]
The most important question for all of us is whether the direction of pentropy can be reversed.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 5:28:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 5:29:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Probably could have stopped for the lights and siren too…
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 5:31:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By linuxgnar:
I'm sure if a non LEO did this it would be no big deal.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 5:32:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 5:33:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By C3H5N3O9:

Wow, prices on those are steep.  Stealing one would be a state jail felony in Texas.  They definitely scream luxury though.  I’d have a whole pen holder full to lend out if I was a Saudi oil prince.
View Quote

My old lady is a pen geek and those are her "Holy Grail" pens.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 5:43:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By delemorte:

So it's cool to jack people up cause you are bored. Solid..
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By delemorte:
Originally Posted By JeepersCreepers:
Originally Posted By CouchCommando22:
Murderers and rapists in the loose and this is how they spend their time.

You should call and tell them where the murderers and rapists are.

So it's cool to jack people up cause you are bored. Solid..

Don't throw your hip out making that reach.

Link Posted: 5/1/2024 5:45:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By FistPeso:

But he made it to home base!
View Quote

I bet that is actually how he broke his leg. He was sliding in and must have jammed it causing a break.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 6:31:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Maybe it a nice, engraved one his wife or mother gave him when he graduated from the academy.

If so, he'd be stupid to use it at work and certainly doesn't excuse busting somebody up like that.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 6:39:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By UV18:
I agree with the comments here. Petit theft should be tolerated and nothing done to recover what was stolen.

Please look up your state law and understand the $ amount for the difference between a misdemeanor and the next higher classification of crime. Then don't get made when someone steals it.

ETA- Are we supposed to just ignore the chase side and him taking off from the car? GD never disappoints.
View Quote

This place gets worse everyday it seems.

The things that happened to this guy didn’t happen because he stole a pen. That’s like saying Dexter Reed was killed because he wasn’t wearing his seatbelt.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 6:43:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Bama-Shooter:

If in my early days if they drove off with one of my Cross pens then I would chase the person down and retrieve it. It's MY property.

Even a cheap pen is MY property. However if tomorrow I was still handwriting tickets, having to get signatures and the person PURPOSEFULLY drove off with my cheap pen.

I would go back to my department, download the video, use the attached information from the citation, file a report, go see the magistrate and swear out a warrant for arrest for the person.

Then one day in the future when he is driving around all smug with himself thinking how he stole that cops pen and got away with it. That running a stop sign traffic stop is going to pop a warrant for arrest.

View Quote

And if you used force to arrest him GD would lose their minds, and call for you to lose your job, go to prison, or worse.

It’s often not the initial violation, but what comes after that causes problems for people.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 6:45:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By SmilingBandit:

It takes two to tango.  The cop was a willing participant in the escalation.
View Quote

So, the police should never escalate? Just let people do whatever, and just walk away?

I get that it’s a pen, and many of you seem to be hung up on that. How much does something have to be worth before the police should care about it being stolen?
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 6:50:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By kozaki:

Dude, that already happens.

"Go online and fill in the form to get a report number for your insurance claim.  No, we won't send an officer to your location.  Good-bye. "

View Quote

Is the thief still there, do you know who it is?

I would absolutely have someone respond to a petit theft if it was reasonable the stolen item could be retrieved, or the thief could be arrested.

I get that some of you may live somewhere shitty, but it isn’t that way everywhere.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 6:52:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By mew:
Yep, $3 box of pens now $3 million civil lawsuit for pain and suffering with permanent injury. Brilliant move, and the Chief supports it!!! Damn that's dumb shit right there........
View Quote

I guarantee this guy won’t get 3 million or even close to it. They might give him 25k to go away, but that’s determined by lots of different factors.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 6:52:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By GenoGS:

So, the police should never escalate? Just let people do whatever, and just walk away?

I get that it’s a pen, and many of you seem to be hung up on that. How much does something have to be worth before the police should care about it being stolen?
View All Quotes

When we have police in this country that don't care at all when $1,000 walks out of a store or when a house is robbed we get a little testy over a person having their leg broken for a pen.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 6:53:36 PM EDT
[#16]

Are you suggesting that the officer had no control over the escallation of the interaction?
View Quote

If someone refuses to be arrested what do you expect the police to do?
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 6:54:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Imzadi:

Currious how you would respond if you got a call for random citizen having a cheap pen stolen from random citizen. Would you "swear out a warrant for arrest for the person"?
View Quote

I can’t answer for Bama, but I would absolutely take that report if they knew who the suspect was, and were willing to go to court 2–3 times to get it taken care of.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 6:55:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By scotchymcdrinkerbean:

It's a Space Pen, Jerry!
View Quote

It writes upside down!
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 6:55:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Creatyre:

So some other cop ends up having to tase him and ultimately break his legs while he resists and GD can make a thread about it.

The circle of life.
View Quote

My thoughts exactly.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 6:56:00 PM EDT
[#20]

It has nothing to do with the constant excessive force and total disregard of the Bill of Rights.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Abrenneman:

I would say it’s more of a parenting issue that created that divide. Dude played a game and lost. Actions have consequences. Don’t be a snarky punk then cry about it.

It has nothing to do with the constant excessive force and total disregard of the Bill of Rights.

Encounters generally go as smooth or as bumpy as the person decides to make them.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 6:56:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By KingNine:
A good pen is highly appreciated.

View Quote

Link Posted: 5/1/2024 6:57:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By jhereg:

It's a point though.   People will put a pen in their pocket or hold it in their hand without meaning to.  I've seen it many times over the years.  To the point where I started using pens w/ caps instead of click pens.   They seem to look at the pen w/o a cap w/ a "wtf am I supposed to do w/ this" when they're done and hand it back most of the time instead of accidently keeping it.  Having worked in a retail environment I have seen the migration of pens as people take them or even leave them.
View Quote

Is that what happened in this case?
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 6:58:22 PM EDT
[#23]

View All Quotes

Are you suggesting that the officer had no control over the escallation of the interaction?

We've seen that if a woman calls the police chief she can not only drive to her house, she can refuse to come to the back of her SUV, and even go into her house while a cop does nothing but follow her like a puppy. Why didn't the cop do that here?
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 6:58:46 PM EDT
[#24]

Interesting that us peons aren't allowed to use deadly force to protect property, but cops can to protect a disposable pen.
View Quote

That’s not what happened here, and continuing to say it only makes you a liar.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 6:59:59 PM EDT
[#25]

View All Quotes

Interesting that us peons aren't allowed to use deadly force to protect property, but cops can to protect a disposable pen.

The person that I replied to said that he was allowed to use any level of force needed. Any level of force includes deadly. So why don't you sit in the corner until you learn to read.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:03:07 PM EDT
[#26]

When we have police in this country that don't care at all when $1,000 walks out of a store or when a house is robbed we get a little testy over a person having their leg broken for a pen.
View Quote

Are the police there when the theft occurred?

Based on the chief’s statement I’m going to go out on a limb and say none of the police in that jurisdiction are letting a person walk out of a store after stealing anything.

That’s a misrepresentation. His leg was not broken over a pen.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:06:01 PM EDT
[#27]

We've seen that if a woman calls the police chief she can not only drive to her house, she can refuse to come to the back of her SUV, and even go into her house while a cop does nothing but follow her like a puppy. Why didn't the cop do that here?
View All Quotes

That irrelevant, just answer the question.

Either the police can use force to affect an arrest or they can’t.

I’m pretty sure I know what you think, and I know what the courts think, and they aren’t the same.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:09:03 PM EDT
[#28]

The person that I replied to said that he was allowed to use any level of force needed. Any level of force includes deadly. So why don't you sit in the corner until you learn to read.
View All Quotes

The cops did not use force to “protect a disposable pen” which is what you said they can do.

That is a lie. They used force to affect an arrest.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:14:30 PM EDT
[#29]

I’m pretty sure I know what you think, and I know what the courts think, and they aren’t the same.
View All Quotes

The police can use force that is commiserate with the crime at question.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:14:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By BillyDBerger:

Plenty in GD support deadly force for misdemeanors.
View Quote

Or less....
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:15:11 PM EDT
[#31]

The cops did not use force to “protect a disposable pen” which is what you said they can do.

View All Quotes

An arrest for what?
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:19:50 PM EDT
[#32]

My thoughts exactly.
View Quote

Please keep posting such. The mundane citizens need to see the difference of us having to let  burglars run down the street with a flat screen and the blue squad enforcing over a pen. Especially after the summer of love, covid and floyd.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:27:57 PM EDT
[#33]
Pics of pen?
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:28:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By JamPo:

WTF?!?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JamPo:
Originally Posted By Abrenneman:

I would say it’s more of a parenting issue that created that divide. Dude played a game and lost. Actions have consequences. Don’t be a snarky punk then cry about it.

WTF?!?

First time experiencing a bootlicker?
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:35:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Beltfed308] [#35]

View Quote

At some point a stick of gum or a pen should resonate some form of whether the juice is worth the squeeze, congratulations, blue squad for 1.84 US you just made another groundbreaking leap with gravity.

I sure hope that pen that was only being used strictly for official business and nothing else, is held to the same level of enforcement by the department. You wouldn't knowingly misuse official issued and apparently sensitive equipment now would you?
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:47:13 PM EDT
[#36]
Damn. He cared way more about that pen than the police cared when one of our work vehicles was stolen.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:50:22 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:53:35 PM EDT
[#38]

View All Quotes

Do you actually think that I said police should never escalate?  Because if so, the problem in this communication is you.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:55:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Imzadi] [#39]
Originally Posted By scuba_steve:

Enough.  Let's end this here.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By scuba_steve:

Enough.  Let's end this here.

Because it makes this particular cop look unhinged?
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:55:31 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By AA717driver:
He disrespected the cop. Bad things were bound to follow.

Gotta respect his authorituh…
View Quote

Can't believe it took six posts to get to this.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:58:53 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:59:06 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:59:16 PM EDT
[#43]

GD is entertainment.
View All Quotes

And if you used force to arrest him GD would lose their minds, and call for you to lose your job, go to prison, or worse.

It’s often not the initial violation, but what comes after that causes problems for people.

GD is entertainment.

So are police videos.
Cops Ask Woman to Kick-in her Ex-Boyfriend's Front Door! ALL HELL Breaks Loose
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 8:09:01 PM EDT
[#44]
Can someone make a poll of who/what is the best pen
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 8:10:56 PM EDT
[#45]
But we like Georgia Troopers when they're beating up college hippies!?!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 8:18:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Piratepast40] [#46]
I'm trying to find an instructor and law enforcement input for a 2-3 hour course on situational awareness, threat assessment and avoidance, and how to exit a situation or area.  The concept is predicated on the increase of gun violence in the city and the lack of action by the city.  I was pretty disappointed by law enforcement response.  It ranged from not providing input because of liability, stating that they would rather have people stay and be good witnesses, to puffery and the fact that their world class knowledge is too refined for civilians to understand.

This thread shows some of the same arrogant BS that I'm hearing locally.  We've got riots popping off, increased general levels of violence, increased crime, and the cops are willing to escalate an encounter with a shitbag smart ass to breaking his leg over a freaking ink pen.  Yet we ask for help in letting moms and grandmothers recognize and get out of trouble before they get trapped in it, and we get that we're either too stupid or the cops would rather you get closer to the shooting so you can be a witness.  You can't make this shit up!
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 8:19:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: phungus] [#47]
Originally Posted By GGF:
But we like Georgia Troopers when they're beating up college hippies!?!

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/200-816.gif
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/1/2024 8:20:07 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 8:25:15 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Norinco982lover:

Deadly force wouldn’t be used to protect the pen.

Deadly force would be used to effect an arrest if the suspect offered great bodily harm or deadly force resistance.

You wrote the laws. You then paid your taxes so I could be paid to enforce them. You’re also liable if I screw up.

It’s a twisted game man. How the world works.
View Quote

Well those laws are changing. How’s that working out for you?
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 8:26:13 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top