Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/29/2023 8:51:31 PM EDT
I've seen literature everywhere that says you can can legally ship long guns via USPS across state lines for lawful purposes, e.g. hunting, you have to send it "in care of" someone and they're only holding it for you etc. OK check. I've spent a good 30 minutes googling around and cant find a stitch of info about mailing it back to your primary residence? I'm flying to Chicago to pick up an inherited shotgun and need to get it back to Florida. Can I just mail it to myself? Do I have to send it "in care of" to a different address or something?? Dealing with TSA and flying back with it isn't an option for me. I don't care what the law says I'm not telling anyone at a Chicago airport I have a gun.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 9:00:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cornhskr] [#1]
Are you an FFL?

You sure can send guns thru the USPS, but they are supposed to go to an FFL.

If it fits, it ships!!  What are you going to tell the clerk when you mail it?
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 9:10:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By cornhskr:
Are you an FFL?

If it fits, it ships!!  What are you going to tell the clerk when you mail it?
View Quote

A non FFL can send long guns through USPS and doesn't have to be an FFL. There's plenty of ATF literature covering this, the one most relevant is here:

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/may-nonlicensee-ship-firearms-interstate-his-or-her-use-hunting-or-other-lawful-activity

The question is can I mail it back to my primary residence? I can't find anything about that. Since I'm printing my own label and am never asked what's inside I don't plan on telling the clerk anything.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 12:02:24 PM EDT
[#3]
rent a car and drive back taking it with you.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 4:45:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DogtownTom] [#4]
Originally Posted By doktarZues:
I've seen literature everywhere that says you can can legally ship long guns via USPS across state lines for lawful purposes, e.g. hunting, you have to send it "in care of" someone and they're only holding it for you etc. OK check. I've spent a good 30 minutes googling around and cant find a stitch of info about mailing it back to your primary residence?
View Quote

It doesn't matter where you are when you mail a rifle or shotgun addressed to yourself in another state.

I'm flying to Chicago to pick up an inherited shotgun and need to get it back to Florida.
View Quote

By "inherited", was this by bequest, meaning you were specifically mentioned in the will? Or was it more casual, "Granddad would have wanted you to have his shotgun"?

Is there an executor?

To whom may an unlicensed person transfer firearms under the GCA?
....Another exception is provided for transfers of firearms to nonresidents to carry out a lawful bequest or acquisition by intestate succession. This exception would authorize the transfer of a firearm to a nonresident who inherits a firearm under the will of a decedent....
View Quote

Can I just mail it to myself? Do I have to send it "in care of" to a different address or something??
View Quote

You put "In care of" when you are shipping to someone else in another state. In this  case you will be in Illinois and shipping to yourself at your address in Florida. You just use your name, your own address.

Link Posted: 4/30/2023 4:51:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Amish_Bill] [#5]
Is it otherwise legal for you to posses the shotgun in Chicago? I'd google the details of checking it as luggage on your return flight.

It might cost you a few dollars for a cheap hardside case and a few padlocks, but the simplicity of having it fly back with you (as CHECKED luggage) is hard to ignore.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 4:52:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Are you an FFL?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Are you an FFL?

I am, he doesn't need to be.

Nope.

What are you going to tell the clerk when you mail it?  

You tell them nothing.
Notification is only required when shipping via a common carrier interstate to a nonlicensee. USPS is not a common carrier.

USPS- will accept rifles and shotguns from ANYONE. Handguns and other firearms like frames, receivers, AR lowers are not mailable unless you are a licensed dealer or manufacturer. Even holders of an 03FFL "Collector of Curios & Relics" cannot mail or receive by mail, a firearm other than a rifle or shotgun. Link to USPS regulations on mailing firearms:  USPS- mailing firearms

There is no requirement to notify USPS that you are shipping a rifle or shotgun. There are no forms to give them, you do not need to show them the FFL of the receiving dealer. You are not required to notify USPS that you are mailing a rifle or shotgun.

The ONLY persons REQUIRED to notify USPS that they are shipping a firearms are licensed dealers and manufacturers....and then only when shipping a handgun (and handguns are defined differently by USPS...basically any firearm that can be concealed on the person). If you are not a dealer and are asked to sign a Form 1508......don't do it! You would be falsifying a Federal document and the USPS clerk who asked you to do so is an idiot.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 4:53:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By JosephTurrisi:
rent a car and drive back taking it with you.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/30/2023 11:01:01 PM EDT
[#8]
I've seen literature everywhere that says you can can legally ship long guns via USPS across state lines for lawful purposes, e.g. hunting, you have to send it "in care of" someone and they're only holding it for you etc. OK check. I've spent a good 30 minutes googling around and cant find a stitch of info about mailing it back to your primary residence? I'm flying to Chicago to pick up an inherited shotgun and need to get it back to Florida. Can I just mail it to myself? Do I have to send it "in care of" to a different address or something?? Dealing with TSA and flying back with it isn't an option for me. I don't care what the law says I'm not telling anyone at a Chicago airport I have a gun.
View Quote

Yes you can mail it to yourself as long as it's legitimately your inheritance.

Some practical tips:
- If you can disassemble it to get it into a smaller box then do so.  Once boxes get longer than 48" the shipping rates go up and I think over 52" you can't print postage online.
- Pack it well, boxes are not treated gently in transit.
- Get a USPS account and print your own priority mail label.
- When you drop it off smile, hand the box to the clerk, ask for a receipt, and walk out.  Don't say anything about there being a firearm in the box as it's not required.

A thought on insurance: I've had to file claims and the only one I lost is where I didn't have proof of value of the item being shipped, as it was personally owned and had been purchased secondhand.  If the USPS loses/damages the package and the shotgun isn't specified in the estate inventory with an explicit value, then USPS will probably balk at paying out on a claim.  If the shotgun is valuable you may want to arrange for other insurance for it.
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 8:16:49 AM EDT
[#9]
About insurance . . .

I have an insurance policy on my firearms and it covers shipping, so that there is never a need to buy separate insurance from USPS or anyone else. It covers theft from a shooting bench, theft from a car, shipping, etc. and is quite reasonable (1/2 the cost of NRA insurance and 1/4 the cost of adding to homeowners insurance).

OP, check it out here: http://www.historicfirearms.com/

Link Posted: 5/1/2023 8:33:53 AM EDT
[#10]
The legal question is can an out of state shotgun transfer to you without a 4473?

Shipping long guns USPS I had no problem. I even told post master is was a gun, she didn't care or have any interest.
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 8:39:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By DogtownTom:
Notification is only required when shipping via a common carrier interstate to a nonlicensee. USPS is not a common carrier.
View Quote

Interesting. I did not know that USPS was not considered a common carrier. I thought "common carrier" was a catch-all phrase that meant any enterprise that ships stuff.
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 9:11:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: LenS] [#12]
Originally Posted By AR_Dale:
The legal question is can an out of state shotgun transfer to you without a 4473?

Shipping long guns USPS I had no problem. I even told post master is was a gun, she didn't care or have any interest.
View Quote
Inheritance is a special case called out in the BATFE regs. IFF the gun was willed to the person, NO FFLs are required even across state lines. Details are important. If it is a matter of the executor/personal representative merely saying "I knew that he wanted you to have this", it is a regular transfer and an FFL is required. That's why DogtownTom (FFL) asked that question above.
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 10:08:28 AM EDT
[#13]
You’re overthinking this, just fly with it. I’ve flown in/out of O’Hare many times with a firearm; both concealed in checked luggage and as it’s own checked baggage in a Pelican. It’s simple. Walk up to the ticketing gate, explain you have a firearm to check/declare, allow them to verify it’s unloaded (literally every time, they’ve asked me to handle all weapon manipulation), lock it up with a non-TSA lock, leave a piece of painters tape on the exterior of the case with your contact number in case TSA needs to inspect the contents after it’s been checked, and fly to your destination. Be one of the first off the plane so you can be in the baggage claim area when it comes out to prevent anyone from grabbing it.

Cheaper and probably less risky (where theft is concerned) than mailing it back to yourself.
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 10:47:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Lexington:

Interesting. I did not know that USPS was not considered a common carrier. I thought "common carrier" was a catch-all phrase that meant any enterprise that ships stuff.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Lexington:
Originally Posted By DogtownTom:

UPS, FedEx, DHS, etc are common (or contract) carriers. So are buses, airlines, trains, taxi's.
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 10:49:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DogtownTom] [#15]
Originally Posted By AR_Dale:
The legal question is can an out of state shotgun transfer to you without a 4473?.
View Quote

Sure, if it meets an exception in federal law. If the OP received the firearm by bequest, then its his at that moment. and does not require a 4473/NICS.
As always, state laws differ. If you live in a Commie state, they do Commie things.

I posted the link to the ATF FAQ's above.
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 1:18:39 PM EDT
[#16]
View Quote

I use Fedex, just tape the box up good bring it to a shipping center get insurance and tracking. And your GTG
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 5:57:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DogtownTom] [#17]
Originally Posted By m47181:

I use Fedex, just tape the box up good bring it to a shipping center get insurance and tracking. And your GTG
View Quote

What you gonna do when FedEx calls you to say they aren't going to deliver your gun? You know, because you violated their shipping policy.

UPS- As of September, 2022, UPS no longer accepts firearm shipments from nonlicensees and requires dealers to enroll in their FFL Shipping Program.
UPS Firearm Shipping:  https://www.ups.com/us/en/support/shipping-support/shipping-special-care-regulated-items/prohibited-items/firearms.page

You cannot ship firearms from a UPS Store, or other third party retailer. If the clerk says "No problem!"......well it is. It violates the carriers tariff. If you choose to ignore UPS policies expect to get nada on any insurance claim for loss, damage or theft. UPS may also seize or confiscate your firearm.

FedEx- As of September, 2021, FedEx no longer accepts firearm shipments from nonlicensees and requires dealers to enroll in their FFL Shipping Program.
FedEx Firearm Shipping: https://www.fedex.com/en-us/shipping/how-to-ship-firearms.html

You can no longer ship firearms from a FedEx Office location, or other third party retailer. If the clerk says "No problem!"......well it is. It violates the carriers tariff. If you choose to ignore FedEx policies expect to get nada on any insurance claim for loss, damage or theft. FedEx may also seize or confiscate your firearm.
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 1:38:14 AM EDT
[#18]
OP, respectfully stated you are making this far harder than it needs to be.

USPS Publication 52, Sect. 432.3b (1)

Handguns are different story, just a little more complicated, but not from what it looks to be your concern.
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 1:51:00 AM EDT
[#19]
Isn't IL one of those states it has to go through an FFL? I remember they had some BS about black powder firearms had to go through a FFL too.
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 2:43:35 AM EDT
[#20]
This is great info as I will be moving to NC in a few months and I was trying to figure out how to get my guns there.  Based on the info here, I will move handguns in my checked luggage and my long guns via USPS.
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 8:04:49 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Tango:
Isn't IL one of those states it has to go through an FFL? I remember they had some BS about black powder firearms had to go through a FFL too.
View Quote

That's for residents who are acquiring firearms, not for firearms being shipped out to non-residents.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 10:19:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: doktarZues] [#22]
Just following up. I flew into Chicago, rented a SUV so I could do the packing in the vehicle as it was freezing and raining and sleeting all day, went to a UPS store to get a box that was big enough (but not the right size), bought a razor knife and packing and tape and all that shit, cut and folded the box into an abomination that somewhat resembled a long rectangle, took it to the nearest USPS and mailed the metal parts to myself in Florida. It arrived fine in a couple days. Pretty sure that's the 2nd and last time I will ever have to go to Chicago.
Top Top