Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/13/2024 12:00:57 AM EDT
Trying to find a laptop that charges off of this seems difficult when doing keyword searching. Anyone have one they recommend that's reasonably priced? Trying to consolidate my mobile solutions to require fewer bricks and adapters.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 12:05:56 AM EDT
[#1]
My Dell Inspiron 2 in 1 charges off USB C.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 12:07:50 AM EDT
[#2]
My wife has a company supplied Dell that is usb powered

RD
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 12:12:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ToyCop:
My Dell Inspiron 2 in 1 charges off USB C.
View Quote

Probably needs the dell power brick though. My work issued Dell inspiron-whatever will not charge off a USB-C car charger or regular 2 amp wall plug. My macbook air will charge from any usb-c power source including the same ones I use for my phone.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 12:16:19 AM EDT
[#4]
A fair number of lenovos have had it a while. My X13 is USB-C and it's about 4 years old.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 1:07:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 1:24:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Hayashi_Killian:
Trying to find a laptop that charges off of this seems difficult when doing keyword searching. Anyone have one they recommend that's reasonably priced? Trying to consolidate my mobile solutions to require fewer bricks and adapters.
View Quote

It's not that simple.  There are different USB-C power and recharging standards and different manufacturers use different types.

Take a look at this article to see the mess.

https://tidbits.com/2021/12/03/usbefuddled-untangling-the-rats-nest-of-usb-c-standards-and-cables/

For example, my OnePlus cellphone uses USB-C Warp Charging, which is different than the USB-C Power Delivery, which is different than Anker's, which is different than the iPhones, etc.  

I tested Ankers' charger on my OnePlus and it charged, but slower, like it got into a "safety mode" because both fast charging systems are different.  It was the same when I used the OnePlus charger on the Anker battery bank.  

So, in the end of the day, if I want to charge my OnePlus in a few minutes I need its own charger, the same for the Anker battery bank.  And if the device uses Power Delivery, it will need a charger compatible with it. And so on.

Link Posted: 5/13/2024 5:37:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BFskinner] [#7]
Macbooks all charge off USB C now.  Macbook air requires the lowest output charger and will work with any brand as long as it puts out around 30 watts which are not much bigger than a phone charger adapter.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 7:01:14 AM EDT
[#8]
One of my company laptops uses USBC to charge.
HP RMN:HSN-141C-4

And it looks like it has a port for the normal round power charger, but came with a USBC power brick HP L65505-003

Hope it helps
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 9:07:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Most modern laptops charge off of USB-C these days. Personally my next laptop will likely be one of the new System 76 models but my current work laptop is a Mk1 Toughbook ZF-55 and it supports USB-C charging (still has the barrel plug option though). Just have to be careful about what USB-C chargers you use. For example, most Dells have to use a USB-C charger that supports 20V but the OEM Dell chargers are still backwards compatible with 12V and 5V devices (like iPhones and Raspberry Pi's).
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 9:14:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Microsoft Surface Laptop Go charges off USB C or it's dedicated power connector.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 9:16:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By wookie1562:

Probably needs the dell power brick though. My work issued Dell inspiron-whatever will not charge off a USB-C car charger or regular 2 amp wall plug. My macbook air will charge from any usb-c power source including the same ones I use for my phone.
View Quote

Not all USB-C cables and power supplies are created equal.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 9:31:47 AM EDT
[#12]
MacBook Pro
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 12:44:42 PM EDT
[#13]
You are looking for a laptop/charger/cable that complies with USB PD. Or Power Delivery.

even with the correct charger, the cable is also important.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 1:36:26 PM EDT
[#14]
My framework laptop only charges off USB-C.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 10:17:02 PM EDT
[#15]
I'd say more have it than don't at this point, as long as we're talking new production devices.  The only laptops we have that won't charge from USB-C/Thunderbolt are engineering workstations with massive 240w PSUs.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 10:20:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By MMcCall:
I'd say more have it than don't at this point, as long as we're talking new production devices.  The only laptops we have that won't charge from USB-C/Thunderbolt are engineering workstations with massive 240w PSUs.
View Quote
That's about to change. PD spec now goes to 240.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 10:26:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By GraboidHunter:
Microsoft Surface Laptop Go charges off USB C or it's dedicated power connector.
View Quote

This

It's what they issued me at work. You pretty much need a dock to go with it, though.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 10:28:12 PM EDT
[#18]
All Macs.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 10:30:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By right_rudder:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

damn I just bought several 100+watt cables.  lol
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 10:40:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Josh:

View All Quotes

We added These  to the Apple Store a few months back
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 10:41:37 PM EDT
[#21]
View All Quotes

Nice!

Link Posted: 5/15/2024 10:57:48 PM EDT
[#22]
View Quote

Nice. I don't follow IEEE submissions so I'm usually late to the party.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 11:06:47 PM EDT
[#23]

View All Quotes

You and Josh might want to double check me, but I believe the spec is now 100 and 240.
the "60" has been depreciated so anything that's listed as PD is going to minimum be 100w.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 11:19:51 PM EDT
[#24]
You and Josh might want to double check me, but I believe the spec is now 100 and 240.
the "60" has been depreciated so anything that's listed as PD is going to minimum be 100w.
View Quote

I have to wonder if moving to such a high wattage spec is going to start prematurely dropping the full charge capacity of these cells.  Fast Charging is cool and all, but battery chemistry hasn't changed all *that* much.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 11:25:30 PM EDT
[#25]

I have to wonder if moving to such a high wattage spec is going to start prematurely dropping the full charge capacity of these cells.  Fast Charging is cool and all, but battery chemistry hasn't changed all *that* much.
View All Quotes

I'm not sure this is for faster charging, but for running more powerful computing devices.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 11:59:37 PM EDT
[#26]

I'm not sure this is for faster charging, but for running more powerful computing devices.
View Quote

Definitely, but it won't take long before someone decides it's good idea to shove it into their iPhone
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 12:02:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: lazyengineer] [#27]
Depends on the unit.  My Surface Pro will charge off of a 20W USB power block and pretty much any USB-C cable.   If you have higher watt rated machine, you'll need higher watt rated stuff - but be of note that the official listed watt rating, is worst case scenario with a margin and so often higher than you actually need.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 7:50:29 AM EDT
[#28]

View Quote
I can't speak for everything but a properly designed system should not.

The 240 watt rating is needed because some systems need that much power to 1) run the whole system at full power and 2) charge the battery at normal rate (not necessarily "fast charge").

On Apple devices there's a subsystem that monitors power consumption and power available and adjusts as needed.
There is also a chip on the battery that monitors everything from charge to charge rate, temps, etc.

what you'll see happen is, if using a lower power source the battery will charge if the system usage is low (like asleep or web surfing)
If you're stressing the system it will drain the battery but at a rate less then if it was battery alone.
Whats happening is the system is taking the power from the charger and if that's not enough, compensate by using the battery.

The new PD spec is for larger laptops or even desktops that can fit within that envelope and run. It won't over charge the battery if properly designed.
Top Top