Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/1/2024 2:57:25 PM EDT
Got a bid to encapsulate / insulate the crawl spaces that are under the 100 year old part of the house. While they're at it spray foam the area above the sill plate were we have some fiberglass bats   half ass shoved in  there.  Pretty common practice in old houses in Midwest, we've had friends do similar with good results.

It was not cheap but not that bad - low 4 figures.     Were on the schedule for 5/8 all was looking good.

Lunch time get a  call from sales weasel, "Hey Citadel was talking with Enious the Operations Manager, he's the last guy to sign off on the job you know.  Well Enious says since there where screens up and I didn't physically go into the crawl space, he's  about the debris we might be hauling out of there.  We can either do time and expense when we do the job or you can pay maybe $500 up front, how do you want to handle it?"

FUCK ME, to preserve peace in our time I offer $100, he got to go to Enious.  Enious says no, fine cancel the job oh and as you recall we paid the deposit on credit card we're going dispute that charge.  

Blah, bah blah.  

Dude I'm at work, lunch is over gotta go.

Fifteen minutes later, get an e-mail, Enious changed his mind we can do it for the extra $100.

Nope, either do the original price or deal's off, actually deals off anyways.

Was I an ass?  

Called the other outfit  who bid the job, "We don't need to see the stuff to haul it off as long as you don't have a crate of explosives or a bucket of mercury we're good.  I got strapping Apostolic  boys working in there, no problem."
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 3:12:28 PM EDT
[#1]
I was a GC for 25 years, the one thing that pissed me off more than anything was someone not honoring a contract price.  I always honored mine, even if it cost me bigly.  I would have probably told them to pound sand also.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 3:12:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Nope.

I've been past the up sale fuck fuck games for a while now.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 3:21:58 PM EDT
[#3]
well they put that true coat on at the factory.......
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 3:25:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Drumbic] [#4]
MANY will try to squeeze you for more AFTER the contract is in place.  And MANY get it out of people...  

Good Cancel.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 3:27:34 PM EDT
[#5]
really glad we used the credit card for this deposit - still suspect they're going to play fuck fuck to  keep the deposit
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 3:44:44 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't believe they'd be inclined to provide you good service after the initial scuffle.  Probably end up with a dead possum mysteriously stuffed up under the insulation - somewhere.

Link Posted: 5/1/2024 4:02:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Citadel:
Got a bid to encapsulate / insulate the crawl spaces that are under the 100 year old part of the house. While they're at it spray foam the area above the sill plate were we have some fiberglass bats   half ass shoved in  there.  Pretty common practice in old houses in Midwest, we've had friends do similar with good results.

It was not cheap but not that bad - low 4 figures.     Were on the schedule for 5/8 all was looking good.

Lunch time get a  call from sales weasel, "Hey Citadel was talking with Enious the Operations Manager, he's the last guy to sign off on the job you know.  Well Enious says since there where screens up and I didn't physically go into the crawl space, he's  about the debris we might be hauling out of there.  We can either do time and expense when we do the job or you can pay maybe $500 up front, how do you want to handle it?"

FUCK ME, to preserve peace in our time I offer $100, he got to go to Enious.  Enious says no, fine cancel the job oh and as you recall we paid the deposit on credit card we're going dispute that charge.  

Blah, bah blah.  

Dude I'm at work, lunch is over gotta go.

Fifteen minutes later, get an e-mail, Enious changed his mind we can do it for the extra $100.

Nope, either do the original price or deal's off, actually deals off anyways.

Was I an ass?  

Called the other outfit  who bid the job, "We don't need to see the stuff to haul it off as long as you don't have a crate of explosives or a bucket of mercury we're good.  I got strapping Apostolic  boys working in there, no problem."
View Quote

Maybe a dick, but I would have cancelled.   The price is the price.  If they start raising the price after the contract is signed it's a sign you should cancel the whole thing.

Link Posted: 5/1/2024 4:04:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Scumbag contractor. Good fire.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 4:05:47 PM EDT
[#9]
How do you not honor a contract price?  Isn't that what a contract is?
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 4:09:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Well, you offered $100.  So I think you committed yourself,
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 4:10:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Drumbic:
MANY will try to squeeze you for more AFTER the contract is in place.  And MANY get it out of people...  

Good Cancel.
View Quote

I had my house painted years ago and the guy tried that after they were done. “We used more paint. How would you feel about paying us more?”

Link Posted: 5/1/2024 4:14:08 PM EDT
[#12]
No, you did well and I'd follow through with that dispute for the deposit.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 4:14:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Klaatu_barada_nikto:
View Quote

Which they rejected, no acceptance.

Are you able to get the deposit back by the terms of the contract? You may be stuck with that one.

But no, you’re not the ass. We agreed to terms, honor them or walk.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 4:15:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Good cancel.

I might have told him for $500 less than the contract price he can write up a new contract and do the job.

Otherwise, pound sand.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 4:16:38 PM EDT
[#15]
View Quote

Which they turned down.  Deals off at that point.  Too bad they changed their mind later.

Link Posted: 5/1/2024 4:19:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Not happening.
I bet they figured since they already had your down payment they could squeeze you for more.
Wouldn’t doubt it’s a common practice of theirs since many people would feel trapped since they are already out money.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 4:23:12 PM EDT
[#17]
You did just fine by cancel.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 4:32:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Contractor here. Good cancel. Fuck those guys.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 4:39:28 PM EDT
[#19]
View Quote

Sounds like a Welch to me. Tagged for negative feedback thread.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 4:44:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: hellishhorses] [#20]
I made a deal with myself August 9, 2013 to never again accept a job if at any point it didn't pass my "sniff test".

If it ever gives me the feeling, I walk. No excuses needed. Find someone else willing to take your money.

Haven't started the job, haven't taken any deposit — I don't lose a wink of sleep.

If I've started the work, I'll feel obligated to get square and then I'm out — you don't own me just because you hired me.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 4:46:12 PM EDT
[#21]
What's your gut say.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 4:51:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Sandbowl1980:
What's your gut say.
View Quote
Mine says it's close to dinner time
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 5:02:58 PM EDT
[#23]
I took my wife’s van in to get detailed and was quoted $350 for full interior and exterior. Okay no problem. I go to pick it up and they said $500 because it was a van and had a third row of seating. I was quoted $350, we agreed on price, now you tell me it is more after the work is done. It was completely scummy how they did a false quote like that. I paid the $500 and did a $150 chargeback on the card. They did not dispute it.

Honor your word. If the cost goes up for reasons that make sense and are understandable, sure. If you are knowingly engaging in price alterations just to screw the customer, screw you buddy.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 5:05:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Good for you - maybe they won't do that to the next guy...

Red
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 5:11:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By CouchCommando22:
I took my wife’s van in to get detailed and was quoted $350 for full interior and exterior. Okay no problem. I go to pick it up and they said $500 because it was a van and had a third row of seating. I was quoted $350, we agreed on price, now you tell me it is more after the work is done. It was completely scummy how they did a false quote like that. I paid the $500 and did a $150 chargeback on the card. They did not dispute it.

Honor your word. If the cost goes up for reasons that make sense and are understandable, sure. If you are knowingly engaging in price alterations just to screw the customer, screw you buddy.
View Quote

Lol, it's not like it was a sedan that opened up into a van interior. Wtf was that guy thinking.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 5:56:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Charge more just in case there was “extra labor” needed?  They can’t even do an estimate correctly?  Definitely cancelling.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 6:14:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: floridahunter07] [#27]
I've had jobs cost me 10-15% more than expected (very rare, but it happens) on my side business and I just eat the cost and honor the contract price.

At the end of the day, the respect and referral business earned out of doing the right thing is the real payment to me... I'll make infinitely more money if you tell five of your friends or neighbors about me and even just one of them hires me, than I would by trying to take shortcuts or charging you extra outside of the contracted price because I had to spend an extra $200 on materials on a $2,000 job.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 6:17:46 PM EDT
[#28]
there where screens up and I didn't physically go into the crawl space, he's  about the debris we might be hauling out of there.
View Quote

He was increasing the price because he needed to remove screens for access or that there was debris that might need to be removed? What is the debris?
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 6:19:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Good on you OP, more people need to stand up for themselves.

Fuck Enious
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 6:34:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Self employed here in a different home service job but I don't blame you for canceling.

I underbid jobs here and there and bite the bullet.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 6:48:42 PM EDT
[#31]
View Quote
No. Offer was made, not accepted by Insulator - counter offered to accept the offer, which was denied. No obligation!

I am in construction and F THAT S!
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 6:53:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Contractor here. To hit you up for $500 after the deal was firmed up is a nickel and dime big time hack move. Sounds like you lucked out and got to see their true lack of integrity before moving forward on what could've  been a much bigger cluster for you...
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 6:56:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Trust is gone next bidder
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:04:46 PM EDT
[#34]
Nope, fuck off.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:07:14 PM EDT
[#35]
The fact that he bid it without going under to look and then just throwing out a number to haul debris away is BS. Its on him for not doing his job. Big Enos should fire his ass.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:08:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Fuck you buddy.  Take me off your schedule and return my deposit immediately.  The end.  

Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:11:05 PM EDT
[#37]
Good call, sir. Not an ass at all.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:16:54 PM EDT
[#38]
OP is the OG.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:22:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: StaccatoC2] [#39]
Originally Posted By Citadel:
really glad we used the credit card for this deposit - still suspect they're going to play fuck fuck to  keep the deposit
View Quote

Under maryland law and I believe a bunch of other states, you still owe them reasonable and expected profits if you cancel after the grace period most states have for contracts. In maryland someone has 3 days to cancel any contract, after that they can keep the R&E profit. Which conveniently courts have agreed is 33%, and by law we are only allowed to get a 33% deposit.

The only time I ever had any company I work for keep it was one dickhead that was being a problem. That is not saying your being a dickhead, just that one guy was.

ETa if you did the charge back before I had a chance to refund the deposit, aka as soon as you hung up the phone. You would lose in court, and I would take you there. But I am not one who would have tried to get extra out of you, so we would not be in this situation.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:43:50 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By mikepiet:

He was increasing the price because he needed to remove screens for access or that there was debris that might need to be removed? What is the debris?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By mikepiet:
there where screens up and I didn't physically go into the crawl space, he's  about the debris we might be hauling out of there.

Dead hookers and left over blow.
Top Top