Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/12/2024 8:32:45 PM EDT
What happened here?
Winchester 124gr. in a Glock 19.
The chip in the rim and scratches on the projectile were from a pair of pliers. Had to use a dowel to punch it out of the chamber. Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 8:35:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:16:46 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm no expert, but it looks like some serious over pressure to me! What caused it is the question. Overcharge of powder or a too tight crimp? Maybe excess case length?
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:41:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Winchester happened.

Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:05:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By BlitzPig:
Winchester happened.

View Quote

Pretty much
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:14:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By OmegamanX:
I'm no expert, but it looks like some serious over pressure to me! What caused it is the question. Overcharge of powder or a too tight crimp? Maybe excess case length?
View Quote

Case length is what I suspect. There's a ring around the neck in the 3rd photo. Possible the case pushed into the bore squeezing the neck too tight?
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:12:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Based on appearance I bet there is a non drilled or incompletely drilled flash hole for the primer.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 1:40:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By captain127:
Based on appearance I bet there is a non drilled or incompletely drilled flash hole for the primer.
View Quote

Hadn't considered this. This would explain the popped primer and ring at the neck.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 2:56:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: D_Man] [#8]
Originally Posted By captain127:
View Quote
Yep, with no flash hole in the case, the expanding gasses from the primer alone treated the entire cartridge as a projectile, pushing the case into the leade and causing that marking on the mouth.  The extractor claw held onto it's spot on the rim while the rest of the cartridge moved forward making that deformity there, and the primer popped out of the case because that was the only path to releasing the pressure.
Top Top