Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Rimfire Scope Question (Page 2 of 2)
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/24/2023 2:15:08 PM EDT
[#1]
OP, don't know if you're still watching this thread, but I bought a VX-1 3-9x40 Leupold for my CZ 455 on a fantastic clearance and Leupold turned the parallax down for $15. That might have included the shipping, it's been a while.
Link Posted: 1/14/2024 11:39:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Logcutter] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Rob01:

Under $700 is a good place now for scopes. Below are some to look at:

Vortex Strike Eagle 5-25
Vortex Venom 5-25
Vortex Diamondback Tactical 6-24

Arken EP5 5-25
Arken SH4 6-24

Athlon Helos BTR 6-24
Athlon Midas BTR 4.5-27

Bushnell Engage 6-24

Burris RT-25 5-25

My choice would be the Vortex Strike Eagle or the Arken EP5. Both have a lot of elevation to dial to farther ranges. If you shoot to 200 you will probably want to try farther and it's good to have the elevation.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Rob01:
Originally Posted By SOCOM76:
I can do upwards of $700.

Under $700 is a good place now for scopes. Below are some to look at:

Vortex Strike Eagle 5-25
Vortex Venom 5-25
Vortex Diamondback Tactical 6-24

Arken EP5 5-25
Arken SH4 6-24

Athlon Helos BTR 6-24
Athlon Midas BTR 4.5-27

Bushnell Engage 6-24

Burris RT-25 5-25

My choice would be the Vortex Strike Eagle or the Arken EP5. Both have a lot of elevation to dial to farther ranges. If you shoot to 200 you will probably want to try farther and it's good to have the elevation.

If you're on ExpertVoice, they recently had the Athlon Ares UHD glass mil reticle 3-18x recently for well under $700.  I don't know how often they put stuff "on sale" like that though.

I picked one up and am quite pleased.  It tracks accurately and repeatedly so far, has down to 10 yards parallex, and the glass doesn't suck at all.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

As a bonus, my Burris XTR rings were too high, and Arken 34mm rings were inexpensive and a perfect fit, with the scope .4 mils off center to the right when mounting.  

I'm now a huge fan of zeroing at the indoor range.  No wind makes it easy to get your windage zero dialed in.
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 7:46:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gearjammer351] [#3]
I needed this thread.

Last weekend I bought three guns, and one is a rimfire that needs a scope. I couldn't justify spending more money now, so I rummaged around in the closet and found ONE scope: an 8-40x42mm and I slapped that sucker on my new .22.

I haven't shot it yet. It looks silly, but it'll live there for a bit until I figure out a scope that's a good fit for this gun.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 5:24:02 PM EDT
[#4]
What issue would I have with scope parallax set to 100 as opposed to 60?
View Quote

Place your head on the stock inconsistently and you will shift your impact on the target.  Getting the parallax just right eliminates that shift.

Set you gun up steady on bags or bag and bipod.  Have crosshairs on target.  Move your eyeball off the comb and watch your crosshairs “move” on the target.   That’s the amount of error from parallax.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 5:31:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By FighterFixer1:
My .22s have optics that will focus down to 10 yards.  A Vortex Diamondback Tactical 4-16 and a US Optics T12 3-12.

I attempted to use my expensive Razor 4-27 once and learned that it was completely unsuitable for any precision work under about 50 yards....can’t focus that close and it’s hard to even see the 1/4” dots.
View Quote

Ha! I did that recently with a U.S. Optics 3.5-17x.  No bueno in close.  

Today I had a zeiss Conquest iirc mine is a 3.5-10x44.  Still not great at 50 yards as it lacks adj parallax.  I might even throw on an old Tasco I have sitting around because it does have adj parallax.  I was shooting on a Green Monster and the black army version.

My eyes got a break when I switched rifles to a cz with a Weaver grand slam or classic on it that had obj parallax adjustment.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 5:33:17 PM EDT
[#6]
I found a scope that has parallax adjustment of 50y to infinity. Will I experience any blurriness at any particular ranges?
View Quote

10 yards.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 8:00:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Any distance below the minimum focus distance will be increasingly blurry as you get closer and closer from that distance.

I have a Leupold 8.4-25X 50 mm scope that is great but is limited to 50 yards minimum because of that minimum focus distance.  

I bought a scope, dedicated for rimfire rifle, solely because it has that short minimum focus distance.

Consider selecting a close focus scope now so that sometime in the future, when you find yourself doing something new (shooting closer), your scope will already be ready for it.  

There are so many good ones out there.  Just look at the specifications.
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 1:16:13 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm still really loving the Athlon Ares UHD glass mil reticle 3-18x on my son's lefty Bergara B14r.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 1:55:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Burnsome-] [#9]
Great thread and info.

Anybody have a recommendation for a 35x power scope for use on a BMR 22lr that can adjust parallax down to 25 yards.  Used for 22 competitions at 25 and 50 yards, with occasional reaching out to 100 & 150

Been looking at this one below.  A friend has it on his CZ457 and it seems pretty nice.

Cabela's Covenant 7 Tactical Rifle Scope - 5x35x56mm

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 2:12:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By BigPolska:
I think parallax adjustment for short range distances is very important for rimfire
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 4:50:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TODD-67] [#11]
Originally Posted By Burnsome-:
Great thread and info.

Anybody have a recommendation for a 35x power scope for use on a BMR 22lr that can adjust parallax down to 25 yards.  Used for 22 competitions at 25 and 50 yards, with occasional reaching out to 100 & 150

Been looking at this one below.  A friend has it on his CZ457 and it seems pretty nice.

Cabela's Covenant 7 Tactical Rifle Scope - 5x35x56mm

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/17185/CABELLAS_SCOPE_RETICLE_png-3224061.JPG
View Quote

If that picture is accurate the sub tension lines are way to heavy for precision rimfire. If you are looking at high magnification look at the sightron 45x fixed power.

If you are looking at dialing magnification up and engaging targets at different distances than the vortex 5x25's that were being discussed are where it's at for the money.

On a high variable power rimfire scope you want repeatable tracking with the light bullet and wind susceptibility. The vortex does that pretty well for the money.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Rimfire Scope Question (Page 2 of 2)
Top Top