BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 51
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:20:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By wookie1562:

Veritasium did an interesting video on game theory. One of the takeaways was kind of a sequence of success. No plan < bad plan < good plan

The difference between having a bad plan and good plan was almost negligible. But both were tremendously better than no plan at all. (ie Bears, Panthers, Commanders, Jags, Giants)

Has GB lost some SB opportunities in the last few years? Sure. Is it because of their skill position drafting? Most likely not.

Lafleur or Gute recently postulated an interesting idea that if GB defense had generated just a couple more takeaways last season (differential 0) that they likely advance to final playoff rounds.

Gute has been hit or miss on drafting skill players in the first 3 rounds and GB hasn't drafter higher than 12 since 2009. He's found both studs and duds in later rounds which gives some credence to the strategy of drafting often with 13 picks this year.

With a new D-coordinator and some high defensive picks, they're still sitting on 8 picks for the rest of the weekend. It'll be very exciting to see what this team does in 2024.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By GenYRevolverGuy:
I'll never understand this GB front office. 5 picks in the top 100, and only one is from a premium position

Veritasium did an interesting video on game theory. One of the takeaways was kind of a sequence of success. No plan < bad plan < good plan

The difference between having a bad plan and good plan was almost negligible. But both were tremendously better than no plan at all. (ie Bears, Panthers, Commanders, Jags, Giants)

Has GB lost some SB opportunities in the last few years? Sure. Is it because of their skill position drafting? Most likely not.

Lafleur or Gute recently postulated an interesting idea that if GB defense had generated just a couple more takeaways last season (differential 0) that they likely advance to final playoff rounds.

Gute has been hit or miss on drafting skill players in the first 3 rounds and GB hasn't drafter higher than 12 since 2009. He's found both studs and duds in later rounds which gives some credence to the strategy of drafting often with 13 picks this year.

With a new D-coordinator and some high defensive picks, they're still sitting on 8 picks for the rest of the weekend. It'll be very exciting to see what this team does in 2024.

I didn't say skill positions. I said premium positions... as in the ones that cost more.

QB, WR, DE, OT, and CB are all pretty expensive these days. Top end WRs are $30M+ with the good ones well into the $20M range. DEs and OTs are high $20Ms for the great ones. CBs are knocking on $20M. Hell, even Guards are getting up there after the crazy FA they had this year.

In a normal draft, you get 3 picks inside the top 100, and you should probably use 2-3 of those picks on these positions.

Green Bay had 5 picks in the top 100. After their first round OT, they took two LBs, a S, and a RB.

Outside of a few special guys, the good LBs make $10M or less per year. Safeties are making $10-15M, but they had a market collapse in FA this year, and good RBs are all over the NFL for less than $5M.

Even if you like your current starters at the premium positions, you should keep drafting there depending upon where you have depth and who is up for FA soonest.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:50:31 AM EDT
[#2]

Interesting approach.
View Quote

Just a guess but it could be there are more 5th and 6th year seniors right now due to the covid crap right when they started college.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:01:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Apparently a college HC that just finished dead last in his own conference NOT going to the NFL is a top two news story in all of sports according to ESPN.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 10:14:40 PM EDT
[#4]

I didn't say skill positions. I said premium positions... as in the ones that cost more.

QB, WR, DE, OT, and CB are all pretty expensive these days. Top end WRs are $30M+ with the good ones well into the $20M range. DEs and OTs are high $20Ms for the great ones. CBs are knocking on $20M. Hell, even Guards are getting up there after the crazy FA they had this year.

In a normal draft, you get 3 picks inside the top 100, and you should probably use 2-3 of those picks on these positions.

Green Bay had 5 picks in the top 100. After their first round OT, they took two LBs, a S, and a RB.

Outside of a few special guys, the good LBs make $10M or less per year. Safeties are making $10-15M, but they had a market collapse in FA this year, and good RBs are all over the NFL for less than $5M.

Even if you like your current starters at the premium positions, you should keep drafting there depending upon where you have depth and who is up for FA soonest.
View All Quotes
I'll never understand this GB front office. 5 picks in the top 100, and only one is from a premium position

Too much need at the positions they drafted vs the amount of depth at the premium positions you listed.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 6:33:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By TinSpinner:

Just a guess but it could be there are more 5th and 6th year seniors right now due to the covid crap right when they started college.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TinSpinner:

Interesting approach.

My BIL coaches small school college baseball.  This is the primary reason.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:30:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:33:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:40:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Tank Dell got injured in a night club shooting in Florida. Saw article on Yahoo
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:46:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By StarCityShooter:
View Quote

I was going to post an article link yesterday when I saw that, but after reading past the sensational headline, I read that he was released from the hospital a few hours after being admitted.

The article said a fistfight broke out and then a third party 16 year old began firing into the crowd.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:53:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By StarCityShooter:
View Quote

Well he's not dead so his username checks out.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:58:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By RSG:
View Quote

Geeesh, if the are going to sign ex-Cowboy players, i would rather they resign Romo and not Zek.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:04:22 AM EDT
[#12]
A Cowboys Fan Reaction to Re-Signing Ezekiel Elliott
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:09:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Who Knew Ezekiel Elliott at Center Wouldn’t Work ???? | Cowboys vs 49ers | 2023 NFC Divisional
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:47:53 AM EDT
[#14]
View Quote

who is this Matt Verderame and why did he give Falcons an A?  lol
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 11:01:12 AM EDT
[#15]

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 11:03:27 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Requiem:

View Quote
"Call me crazy, but I'm a huge fan of the Penix pick. The quarterback landscape could be great in two years. It could be barren. But if the Falcons are truly building toward the future, why not make the inevitable transition easy. I think there's a lot of pro-Kirk Cousins sentiment out there, but Cousins will be 36 in August and is coming off an Achilles injury. He has also never reached a conference title game, so it was time to explore all options."

Look Matt... Taking a quarterback isn't the problem. Taking THAT quarterback at NUMBER EIGHT is the problem.

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 11:06:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: David_ESM] [#17]
Via the Athletic, CBS "The NFL Today" pregame show is axing Phil Simms and Boomer Esiason, bringing on Matt Ryan.

Longtime NFL analyst stalwarts Phil Simms and Boomer Esiason are out, while Matt Ryan is in on the network's pregame show, according to sources briefed on the move and Esiason, who announced his news Monday morning.

Ryan will be joined on set by host James Brown, Nate Burleson and Bill Cowher, with J.J. Watt on a part-time basis. Burleson and Cowher also had expiring contracts.

Edit:

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 11:07:29 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By David_ESM:
"Call me crazy, but I'm a huge fan of the Penix pick. The quarterback landscape could be great in two years. It could be barren. But if the Falcons are truly building toward the future, why not make the inevitable transition easy. I think there's a lot of pro-Kirk Cousins sentiment out there, but Cousins will be 36 in August and is coming off an Achilles injury. He has also never reached a conference title game, so it was time to explore all options."

Look Matt... Taking a quarterback isn't the problem. Taking THAT quarterback at NUMBER EIGHT is the problem.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Requiem:

Funny how supposed “experts” continually fail to grasp that very basic concept.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 11:08:09 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 11:11:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: lilMAC25] [#20]
View Quote

Worst starting RB in NFL last season….

If it’s more than league minimum with some performance incentive clauses, it’s a bad contract.

Edit: After some thought, no matter the terms (unless it’s 1 day $1 retirement contract) it’s a BAD contract.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 11:12:35 AM EDT
[#21]
Via the Athletic, CBS "The NFL Today" pregame show is axing Phil Simms and Boomer Esiason, bringing on Matt Ryan.

Longtime NFL analyst stalwarts Phil Simms and Boomer Esiason are out, while Matt Ryan is in on the network's pregame show, according to sources briefed on the move and Esiason, who announced his news Monday morning.

Ryan will be joined on set by host James Brown, Nate Burleson and Bill Cowher, with J.J. Watt on a part-time basis. Burleson and Cowher also had expiring contracts.

Edit:

View Quote

“Even though that part of my career is over I look forward to what is next.”

You’ve been demoted multiple times in the past 7 years and you’re damn near 70.

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 11:12:56 AM EDT
[#22]
View Quote
After the first round there was talk from Jerry that made people believe the Cowboys were going to go RB in the 2nd/3rd round. They ended up not drafting any running backs... We'll see.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 11:14:47 AM EDT
[#23]
After the first round there was talk from Jerry that made people believe the Cowboys were going to go RB in the 2nd/3rd round. They ended up not drafting any running backs... We'll see.
View Quote

All.

In.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 11:15:32 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By lilMAC25:

If it’s more than league minimum with some performance incentive clauses, it’s a bad contract.
View All Quotes

Personally, I’d rather sign a hungry 22 year old undrafted UFA.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 11:16:47 AM EDT
[#25]
View All Quotes

The players they wanted to fall to them (Benson and JBrooks) didn’t fall to them. Sometimes that works out much better than you expect. See Emmitt Smith.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 11:23:31 AM EDT
[#26]

The players they wanted to fall to them (Benson and JBrooks) didn’t fall to them. Sometimes that works out much better than you expect. See Emmitt Smith.
View All Quotes

Or more recently: Micah Parsons.

I lot of people forget the Cowboys actually traded DOWN to draft him.  From the Eagles, no less.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 11:39:03 AM EDT
[#27]
The Broncos acquired defensive end John Franklin-Myers from the Jets in exchange for a 2026 sixth-round pick.

A five-year veteran, the 2018 fourth-round pick has recorded 135 tackles, 21 tackles for loss, 61 quarterback hits, two forced fumbles, three fumble recoveries, one interception and 19.5 sacks in his career.

"It is something we have been working on the past couple of weeks," General Manager George Paton said Saturday. "He is a player that we have always respected. He is durable. For three straight years he has not missed a game, and four straight years of 54-plus pressures. He can play all down the line of scrimmage. The one thing that sticks out on tape is the relentless motor this guy plays with. We are excited to get him. ... He is going to help our defensive line."

Franklin-Myers has started 50 of a potential 51 games over the last three seasons for the Jets, and he has posted at least three sacks in each of the last four seasons.

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 11:57:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: David_ESM] [#28]
$13.4M for the option year.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:45:39 PM EDT
[#29]
$25.7M for Lawrence, $6.1M for Etienne.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 1:59:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Via The Athletic: Jason Kelce heading to ESPN for 'Monday Night Countdown' pregame show

The recently retired Jason Kelce is headed to ESPN to be part of its "Monday Night Football" pregame show, sources briefed on the move told The Athletic.

Kelce, who just retired after what is considered a Hall of Fame career with the Philadelphia Eagles, was sought after by multiple networks, but is slated to land on ESPN's "Monday Night Countdown."

ESPN declined to comment.

Kelce and his brother, Travis, have a popular podcast called "New Heights." Jason, 36, has been interested in media and drew interest from NBC, CBS and Amazon, among others. He and his wife, Kylie, already had a pre-existing relationship with Amazon as they did a documentary series called, "Kelce," which followed him around during his final season. Amazon Prime Video's Thursday Night set is already pretty packed. NBC and CBS were both interested in adding Kelce to their Sunday desks.

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 2:07:16 PM EDT
[#31]
Via The Athletic: Jason Kelce heading to ESPN for 'Monday Night Countdown' pregame show

The recently retired Jason Kelce is headed to ESPN to be part of its "Monday Night Football" pregame show, sources briefed on the move told The Athletic.

Kelce, who just retired after what is considered a Hall of Fame career with the Philadelphia Eagles, was sought after by multiple networks, but is slated to land on ESPN's "Monday Night Countdown."

Kelce and his brother, Travis, have a popular podcast called "New Heights." Jason, 36, has been interested in media and drew interest from NBC, CBS and Amazon, among others. He and his wife, Kylie, already had a pre-existing relationship with Amazon as they did a documentary series called, "Kelce," which followed him around during his final season. Amazon Prime Video's Thursday Night set is already pretty packed. NBC and CBS were both interested in adding Kelce to their Sunday desks.

View Quote

It’s somewhat fascinating how Jason Kelce is so likeable while his little brother is a colossal douchebag.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 2:13:06 PM EDT
[#32]
View Quote

Wtf!?
How is this moving forward?

I guess the good news is the Zek jersey my wife bought me years ago is back in play.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 2:13:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Schefter reporting that the Commanders never thought about taking Drake Maye. Their decision was between Jayden Daniels and JJ McCarthy.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 2:23:07 PM EDT
[#34]

Some of these are surprising, and some are kind of wild.

The two extremes I find funny are both in the AFC West. The Raiders have basically decided not to invest at WR after the Davante Adams deal, and despite the Chargers basically leading the league in WR draft resources, they could have the worst WR room in the league if their 2nd round pick Ladd McConkey doesn't hit.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 2:28:46 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Hunter-Killer:

It’s somewhat fascinating how Jason Kelce is so likeable while his little brother is a colossal douchebag.
View All Quotes

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 2:29:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Schefter reporting that the Commanders never thought about taking Drake Maye. Their decision was between Jayden Daniels and JJ McCarthy.
View Quote

I can't claim to be well informed about this year's QB class, but based on what little I have heard, that's a nutty claim.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 2:40:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: David_ESM] [#37]

I can't claim to be well informed about this year's QB class, but based on what little I have heard, that's a nutty claim.
View Quote
I'm assuming he is suggesting that they may have initially been fielding interest in trading back out of 2 (Minnesota? New York? Etc) and taking JJ with a slightly lower pick. If he is insinuating they were thinking of taking JJ at #2, that is definitely a bit nutty.

Edit: But the Falcons took Penix at 8... So, I could see the Commanders doing something equally nutty as well.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 3:15:52 PM EDT
[#38]
Little follow up on the Bateman extension last week:

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 3:27:15 PM EDT
[#39]

View Quote

Not really. You didn’t have any friends growing up that had a little/older brother who was a shitbag?
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 3:28:13 PM EDT
[#40]
Bills sign WR Quintez Cephus to a 1 year deal. Former 5th round pick, with Detroit from 2020-22.

22 career games, 6 starts, 37 receptions, 568 receiving yards and four touchdowns.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 3:30:16 PM EDT
[#41]

View All Quotes

I like how he felt the need to add on “Pro Bowl” after “All Pro.”
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 3:30:33 PM EDT
[#42]

View All Quotes

It’s the Redskins.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 3:33:26 PM EDT
[#43]
$15.6M for Waddle and $13.3M for Phillips.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 3:33:55 PM EDT
[#44]
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 3:35:54 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Maverick52:

Not really. You didn’t have any friends growing up that had a little/older brother who was a shitbag?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Maverick52:

Sure.

Though “he’s tolerable enough to be friends with and his brother is a shitbag” is a bit different from “he is very likable and his brother is the biggest asshole I’ve ever met.”
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 3:37:43 PM EDT
[#46]
$16M.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 3:51:12 PM EDT
[#47]

Edit:

View Quote

Thank goodness...that show was boring as f*ck with them on it. I'm sure they've made enough to be just fine...
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 3:54:12 PM EDT
[#48]

It’s the Redskins.
View All Quotes

It’s the Redskins.

I think it's reasonable to expect things to improve after a top to bottom leadership change.

But, here we are.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 3:57:06 PM EDT
[#49]
Bills sign WR Quintez Cephus to a 1 year deal. Former 5th round pick, with Detroit from 2020-22.

22 career games, 6 starts, 37 receptions, 568 receiving yards and four touchdowns.
View Quote

coming off full year suspension for betting.

Buffalo Rumblings headline-
Report: Bills to gamble on former Lions WR Quintez Cephus

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 4:02:50 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By TheHunstman:

Thank goodness...that show was boring as f*ck with them on it. I'm sure they've made enough to be just fine...
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TheHunstman:

Edit:

I watched maybe a grand total of 30 minutes of it over the past few years, but based on what little I saw, the show felt like four nursing home residents and their black caregiver.
Page / 51
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top