Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 4:56:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jsnappa] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ramairthree:
Hold on-

There must be more going on than the video shows.

She was moaning, moving, breathing, …
And had a pulse but with low blood pressure…

But they are suing for not doing CPR?

Where is the video where she is not making noise or breathing and does not have a pulse and them not doing CPR?
View Quote

Those are agonal respirations (no air exchange is happening), a reflex due to brain damage occurring, THE hallmark of impending death due to loss of circulation and oxygenation.  The outcome of severe brain damage shows she was dying.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 5:23:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By sandboxmedic:

Nursing homes, even the expensive ones, tend to be the dregs of the medical community (no offense to the few good people who work in that field, I certainly couldn't do it).  It was always kind of a running joke that nobody died in a nursing home (more paperwork and more chance of getting investigated), they died in the care of EMS or at the hospital.  The crap you'd see would blow your mind.  First, you expect to run more calls to nursing facilities early Sunday morning.  Why?  Because the staff knows more families will stop by after church to take their family member off the storage shelf and play with them say hello to the family member stuck in a living hell living out their last days there.  So the staff goes around and everyone who has bed sores and other issues suddenly needs to go to the hospital and the family is told they were "doing fine until last night" so since we care so much we called EMS to take them to the hospital, even though the problem obviously didn't just start.  Some of them you'd walk in or get off the elevator and you'd see one of the staff signaling to the others to start CPR so they could say they'd been doing it all along and we'd have to transport (luckily standing orders have changed over the years to allow for cessation of efforts).  It was common to find them doing "CPR" on a dead body, on the bed with no CPR board (so no hard surface underneath to compress against), no meds and/or compromised airway, feeding pumps that had been forgotten about so the patient's feeding tube had backed up and they'd aspirated their liquid diet (guaranteeing aspiration pneumonia), "Oh they just fell out of bed" but the bruise is older than that, and on and on.  

I got a day off because the head nurse at one facility complained that I'd stopped CPR and pronounced their patient dead because it was Christmas morning and I obviously wanted to go home.  Well yeah, it was a late call and I did want to go home but the hospital was practically next door so that wasn't really a big deal.  The fact that the patient had rigor and was being bounced up and down on a still inflated bed was why I called them.  I didn't bother to run a strip (ECG) since there were obvious signs of death, primarily rigor mortis but no vitals, pupils fixed and dilated, etc, but because the nurse raised so much hell our director decided I got a day off.  That facility was so bad that anytime they'd call we'd automatically start a supervisor en route as a backup.  Needless to say everyone, even crispy critters, a bag of mush (jumper) and a decapitation got an ECG strip after that.  

Seriously, I'd greatly prefer someone shoot me in the head before sticking me in a nursing home.
View Quote

Huh. We usually get our flood of admits from nursing homes on Friday night. I'm pretty sure they figure out that they're short-staffed for the weekend and have a very low threshold for "altered mental status" among all the patients who were A&Oxself only at baseline.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 5:47:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By jsnappa:

Those are agonal respirations (no air exchange is happening), a reflex due to brain damage occurring, THE hallmark of impending death due to loss of circulation and oxygenation.  The outcome of severe brain damage shows she was dying.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Hold on-

Where is the video where she is not making noise or breathing and does not have a pulse and them not doing CPR?

This, you can have a pulse and respirations and still need CPR/rescue breathing.  Remember, the blood has to be oxygenated and circulating for it to be effective- the primary, but not only, reason you see it done on a person with a palpable pulse and respirations is that they are too slow to effectively perfuse the organs, but that's not the only reason.  Same reason they teach putting an AED on someone who is breathing and may have a pulse but is acting inappropriately (with some exceptions such as say, knowing your family member or co-worker is a diabetic who doesn't monitor their blood sugar appropriately and probably needs some glucose again, etc)- the AED can pick up things you can't (without a monitor) and should recognize an abnormality that may need intervention.  

Yes, this is a gun forum, but most folks here would be much, much better served by spending money on some medical training and basic medical supplies rather than another gun class, a case of ammo or another gun.  You are much more likely to need medical training than you are your gun.  I'm definitely not saying don't own a gun, get training and continue to train, but the likelihood of needing one is statistically greater than the other, especially if you have older relatives and as our medical systems are overloaded.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 5:53:07 PM EDT
[#4]

View All Quotes
Hold on-

I thought the video was going to be them standing around fanning her or trying to give her water or something when someone walks up and says-
Hey, she has no pulse, start CPR.  
And then they had them for not doing CPR for five minutes or whatever she may not have had a pulse.

Read the first post above in a Johnny Cochran voice.

With a pulse in place, you got no case.

I think it’s going to be a tough case to hang on some NA, LPN, or ADN at a nursing home or infusion clinic that they didn’t start CPR on someone with a pulse.  They called the ambulance right away.  They’re not ER/ICU types, set up to get things going for an intubation, placing an AED, etc.  They’re not even checking blood sugar, getting an IV, apply O2, etc. like a brand new junior ambulance crew guy, etc.

These are essentially the counter guys at AutoZone with someone needing a NASCAR pit crew.

Something like 70% of people never get a pulse back when this happens, another 20% temporarily but still die.  
It’s horrible.  I don’t want to end up like that and wish she didn’t.  
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 6:00:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By tac556:

Holy shit.  How many of them die?
 I know good Samaritan laws exist, but that seems more like medical malpractice.  

Too much TV.  Their instructors need to rethink what they are doing obviously.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By tac556:
Originally Posted By 20229mm:

This.  100% this.

My favorite is when the local nursing home reverts everyone in BLS (CPR)
We will get CPR performed on pts that don’t warrant it.
Seizures, AMS, DIB, etc.  

It’s like we recert their hammer and they go looking for nails.

Holy shit.  How many of them die?
 I know good Samaritan laws exist, but that seems more like medical malpractice.  

Too much TV.  Their instructors need to rethink what they are doing obviously.

Never seen any die from cpr when it wasn’t needed.  Just a lot of pain.
The human body is weird.  It’ll take a lot of abuse. Sometimes.   Sometimes people die from lil shit.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 6:02:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By callgood:
Let's say an inmate attacks one of the medical staff.
View Quote

He’s getting two trays of food and maybe a third party puts money on his books.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 6:06:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Hold on-

View Quote

Nah.  That was agonal respirations.  She was dead
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 6:26:25 PM EDT
[#8]

View All Quotes
Hold on-

I’m not disputing any of that.  

I’m saying they have a video of people on the phone with EMS trying to get help and saying stuff like she had a seizure, she has a pulse but I can’t get a blood pressure, etc. and want to sue them for not doing CPR.

I was expecting a video of people standing around not doing CPR on someone with no pulse.

Not redshirts standing around with no idea coach just put them on the travel team as starters.

Link Posted: 5/1/2024 6:43:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jsnappa] [#9]

I’m not disputing any of that.  

I’m saying they have a video of people on the phone with EMS trying to get help and saying stuff like she had a seizure, she has a pulse but I can’t get a blood pressure, etc. and want to sue them for not doing CPR.

I was expecting a video of people standing around not doing CPR on someone with no pulse.

Not redshirts standing around with no idea coach just put them on the travel team as starters.

View Quote

When the 911 operator asked if the victim was breathing, the nurse said no.  
Her mistaken belief that the lady had a pulse and was having a “seizure” is irrelevant when considering a proper response to the victim’s condition.  They were watching her die until the friend showed up and started CPR.

Even the door greeter at Walmart would have had an AED hooked up long before the moron was befuddled by zero blood pressure.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:18:14 PM EDT
[#10]

Her mistaken belief that the lady had a pulse and was having a “seizure” is irrelevant when considering a proper response to the victim’s condition.  They were watching her die until the friend showed up and started CPR.

Even the door greeter at Walmart would have had an AED hooked up long before the moron was befuddled by zero blood pressure.
View Quote

That friend... man.. total boss lady showing up a bunch of whack nurses and a Dr. Gupta

Wonder if that doc was even born here..
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:21:05 PM EDT
[#11]

View Quote

Again, I’m not arguing that.
Nor can I think of anywhere I have not seen an AED nearby lately.

I’m saying the piece led with the insinuation that skilled, serious medical professionals in a serious medical facility stood callously by a pulseless co-worker and maliciously were letting them die.
And I was expecting a video of that.

But what we have are some people thinking they have a pulse, thinking they had a seizure, that they’re moaning, trying to get help, etc. who may be useless, clueless, etc. but with no malicious intent whatsoever. And a defense lawyer should have zero difficulty demonstrating that.    And that is why I wondered what more is going on.

Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:22:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Scollins:
WtF?  That's ridiculous.

Oh, and if you have cancer (fuck cancer BTW!), I wouldn't go to that facility.  They are clearly not qualified to do anything in the medical field.
View Quote

RIP Bill Paxton. I believe his family successfully sued the heart surgeon that killed him
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:57:49 PM EDT
[#13]
That's nuts. It happened on the job and doesn't seem she was grossly out of shape and brought on by shitty lifestyle choices. Probably forced her to get vaccinated as well.

I've had two ER bill claims denied. One when someone hep C positive got blood all over my arm and gloves. Cracked up hands were covered, but the blood was there awhile before I could clean myself.  Said no open wounds were exposed, claim denied.

Other was hep C positive person got some spit in my eye.  Claim denied, can't be transmitted through saliva in the eye. How the fuck am I supposed to know that when I'm not in the medical field?

At least these were just ER bills for a doctor to say I had nothing to worry about. Being in her/her family's shoes would make me livid.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 10:34:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By dangerranger61007:
That's nuts. It happened on the job and doesn't seem she was grossly out of shape and brought on by shitty lifestyle choices. Probably forced her to get vaccinated as well.

I've had two ER bill claims denied. One when someone hep C positive got blood all over my arm and gloves. Cracked up hands were covered, but the blood was there awhile before I could clean myself.  Said no open wounds were exposed, claim denied.

Other was hep C positive person got some spit in my eye.  Claim denied, can't be transmitted through saliva in the eye. How the fuck am I supposed to know that when I'm not in the medical field?

At least these were just ER bills for a doctor to say I had nothing to worry about. Being in her/her family's shoes would make me livid.
View Quote

Ok, you seem to have some experience with this.
What is the aspect of the suit?

First, I thought we were going to see people standing by doing nothing on purpose.
Then we saw people not knowing what was going on but trying to help.
Were they after criminal charges?  Don’t see a purposeful crime.
Were they suing the employer, other workers?  This was not a crack team of lifesaving critical care types in a serious medical setting.
And I don’t seem to understand the workman’s comp aspect of the suit.
She wasn’t electrocuted by some unsafe wiring, the roof didn’t fall on her, etc.

I get they are mad some little clinic, assisted living, etc. staff didn’t go to town like paramedics on an a critical care ambulance or docs and nurses in an ER or ICU-
It’s horrible it happened.
But I’m 100% sure if I do the Fred Sanford while at the ophthalmology clinic or drop like Luke Perry from a stroke while in some urology office or at the orthopedics clinic getting my shoulder looked at-
There are going to be some unfamiliar, unskilled, non-A-game people involved to start with.  

Link Posted: 5/2/2024 10:37:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Master_Blaster:
Sociopathy isn't as rare as most would think. A lot of people don't have a moral compass.
View Quote

About 1 in 20 people.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 10:57:12 AM EDT
[#16]
In my medical army guard unit an another unit soldier walked in to talk to a DR and he fell out in the middle of the conversation and the DR was on him and was doing CPR ASAP. He lived and the ambulance took him out of there.
I wonder about some of them sometimes that they cant do anything without lab tests or and ECG
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 5:03:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dangerranger61007] [#17]
Originally Posted By dangerranger61007:

View Quote

I'm not a lawyer, not in the medical field, and not well versed in workers comp.  I just have to put my hands on nasty drug addicts all the time.  I was surprised when they didn't cover my exposure claims.

I think criminal negligence charges would be a huge stretch, she wasn't a patient under care of medical staff.  Lawsuit against the facility/employees for not stepping in, possibly, but I doubt that would go anywhere.

Workers comp is the best angle for her, but workers comp will argue it wasn't work related.  Ideally, her employer would just make sure she's taken care of, but apparently that isn't happening either.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:20:46 AM EDT
[#18]

I’m saying the piece led with the insinuation that skilled, serious medical professionals in a serious medical facility stood callously by a pulseless co-worker and maliciously were letting them die.

But what we have are some people thinking they have a pulse, thinking they had a seizure, that they’re moaning, trying to get help, etc. who may be useless, clueless, etc. but with no malicious intent whatsoever. And a defense lawyer should have zero difficulty demonstrating that.    And that is why I wondered what more is going on.

View All Quotes

She had no pulse.  They didn’t properly assess her and failed to perform early cpr as a result.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:40:28 AM EDT
[#19]
I get that nursing home staff isn't on par with the Rapid Response team at a large hospital that does CPR almost every shift.

They're not ACLS

But they are BLS, and are held to the standard of doing BLS properly.  It's kinda why they take BLS and test out every few years.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 1:00:58 AM EDT
[#20]

She had no pulse.  They didn’t properly assess her and failed to perform early cpr as a result.
View Quote

Ok, that threw me off a little.

I didn’t assume someone would be trying to get a bloodpressure on a person unless they had a pulse.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 1:22:01 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By RevolverRO:
Last hospital I worked at, a nurse collapsed in the nursing station during shift change, unit manager said we couldn't help her because she wasn't a patient, they had to summon a ACT team from two floors down.   (Nurse ended up being okay).
View Quote
Thats when the manager gets a broken jaw and the nurse gets treated anyways.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top