Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 10:01:00 AM EDT
[#1]
The police had all the guy's information from the traffic stop and there is no imminent public safety threat for pen theft. The proper way to handle this for all the non "respect muh authority" types would have been to pass that information on to the proper people to write up charged and summon him to court to answer for it. Tasing the guy and breaking his leg isn't it, and the town is going to pay for it.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 10:03:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By FunYun1983:

There is no such thing as a 'cop's pen', it just a pen.

Either all pens are worth police chases and violent arrest, or they are not.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By FunYun1983:
Originally Posted By C3H5N3O9:
Originally Posted By BrayD:
Originally Posted By BrayD:
Originally Posted By Abrenneman:
Originally Posted By CouchCommando22:

I would say it’s more of a parenting issue that created that divide. Dude played a game and lost. Actions have consequences. Don’t be a snarky punk then cry about it.

It has nothing to do with the constant excessive force and total disregard of the Bill of Rights.

Shouldn’t steal things and then not comply with lawful orders. Not much to it.

If it's acceptable to break a person's leg for not complying in giving up a pen, then it could be argued it's acceptable to do significantly more harm for not complying in giving up one's guns.

Try taking a cop’s gun and see what happens.

There are plenty of videos of police in various encounters demanding people who legally own guns and aren't breaking the law to give them up so they could investigate whether they're stolen or not.

Except that’s not what happened here, so it’s irrelevant.  It’s was the cop’s pen.

There is no such thing as a 'cop's pen', it just a pen.

Either all pens are worth police chases and violent arrest, or they are not.

Really?
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 10:05:00 AM EDT
[#3]
I am pretty sure if I work in a bank and I did this to someone that took a pen I would be in jail
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 10:05:54 AM EDT
[#4]
The penis mightier
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 10:09:12 AM EDT
[#5]
I don't let other people use them, but I have two custom pens I made, one for my late wife one for me.

They are probably worth $300-$400 each.

But the sentimental value is through the roof.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 10:12:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By luscioman:
I am pretty sure if I work in a bank and I did this to someone that took a pen I would be in jail
View Quote

You aren’t a sworn officer that can legally detain and make arrests.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 10:15:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By FistPeso:

View Quote

He's not idiot who gets worked up over a pen.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 10:21:30 AM EDT
[#8]

Cup those thugs balls
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AbsoluteLemur:

I would say it’s more of a parenting issue that created that divide. Dude played a game and lost. Actions have consequences. Don’t be a snarky punk then cry about it.

Kiss that boot just a little harder

Cup those thugs balls

Problem is that we disagree about who the thug is.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 10:23:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By RLR350:
I’m pretty sure I know how this could have been avoided.
View Quote

By the cop not being a child?
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 10:23:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By bionicmonkey:
Doesnt look broken to me.
View Quote

Thank you Doctor.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 10:26:12 AM EDT
[#11]
was it a Pilot G-2? I'd open a #10 can of whup ass on anyone who ran off with my G-2.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 10:28:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Damn, if I broke the legs of coworkers who stole my pens, I would've had to lay hands on every single motherfucker that I ever worked with. Pen thief cocksuckers.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 10:39:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Covertness:
There is theft. Pen, watch, wallet, paper clip, doesn’t matter.  If it’s ok to steal a pen what else is it ok to steal?  Where do you draw the line?  Guy fucked around and found out.

I’ll have a sweet tea.
View Quote

Your argument could also be used for magazine restrictions, assault weapons bans, FBI check for firearms purchase permits, and 60 day holds after the sale of a firearm.  What else will gunmen use?

The danger is about how the cop will escalate other emotional issues.

Enjoy your sweet tea.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 10:55:31 AM EDT
[#14]
This is why you always use a cheap, preferably department issued, pen.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 10:56:19 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By DamascusKnifemaker:
Must have been a Montblanc pen.
View Quote

Probably a BIC.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 10:56:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Someone got disrespected.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 10:58:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JeepersCreepers] [#17]
Originally Posted By Piratepast40:

Your argument could also be used for magazine restrictions, assault weapons bans, FBI check for firearms purchase permits, and 60 day holds after the sale of a firearm.  What else will gunmen use?
View Quote

Why does every thread turn into "the kings men are gonna confiscate our guns!"

I swear libertarians could derail a thread about titties.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 10:59:37 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By zach_:
Damn, if I broke the legs of coworkers who stole my pens, I would've had to lay hands on every single motherfucker that I ever worked with. Pen thief cocksuckers.
View Quote

The struggle is real!  But after thousands of pens that walked off, I’ve yet to whip someone’s ass for it.  It’s a pen.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 11:07:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: UV18] [#19]
I agree with the comments here. Petit theft should be tolerated and nothing done to recover what was stolen.

Please look up your state law and understand the $ amount for the difference between a misdemeanor and the next higher classification of crime. Then don't get made when someone steals it.

ETA- Are we supposed to just ignore the chase side and him taking off from the car? GD never disappoints.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 11:08:54 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By TAG_Match:

The struggle is real!  But after thousands of pens that walked off, I’ve yet to whip someone’s ass for it.  It’s a pen.
View All Quotes

If you whipped a few asses, your pens would stop walking off.  

I kid.  I kid.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 11:11:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Norinco982lover] [#21]
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 11:23:22 AM EDT
[#22]

I kid.  I kid.
View All Quotes

I kid.  I kid.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 11:33:05 AM EDT
[#23]
That website has AIDS.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 11:33:29 AM EDT
[#24]
Sounds like that cop needs to be tossed into a cell for the rest of his life.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 11:34:22 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By JimEb:
It's become an industry now to fuck with police in the hopes you can entice one of them to snap.  Hopefully you sustain just enough 'damages' to enjoy your Red Billy Lotto payday.

It's a game of balancing the fine line.   Don't take it too far where you end up dead or permanently injured.  Also need to provoke just enough to receive the desired result to paint you firmly in the victim category and not seen as the agitator.  DUI arrests can be painfully annoying with this.
View Quote
If more and more cops werent low IQ enraged retards it wouldnt be a problem.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 11:40:01 AM EDT
[#26]
I guess taking a pen equals permanent bodily injury and possible death. People wonder why there is a divide between LE and the public. Some fine protecting and serving. Murderers and rapists in the loose and this is how they spend their time.
View Quote

Whats that saying................ humm............  oh yes! FAFO.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 11:40:17 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Norinco982lover:
How many of you commenting in this thread are a police officer who have had someone try to steal your pen on a traffic stop?

I am.

This lady was upset for getting a ticket for her several months expired registration and when I handed her a pen to sign the ticket she wouldn’t give it back.

The conversation went like:

Her: give me my license
Me: give me my pen
Her: it’s just a pen
Me: it’s department property

We went back and forth like this for a full minute or so before she finally gave the pen back, I gave her the ticket and her license and she went on her merry way.

I absolutely would have been able to legally arrest her for committing the crime of theft in my presence.

If you resist arrest, I am able to use whatever force is necessary to effect the arrest.

I would argue that I had a duty to recover the pen as it was issued to me and not my property to give away.
View Quote

If we search your house and find hotel, bank, insurance, and other logo pens, should you be legally arrested?

This thread is full of privilege, arrogance, hubris, and abuse of authority.  We don't hire you to chase and abuse people that pissed you off by taking your pen.  We paid to train you to be emotionally mature and not a little crybaby bully.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 11:45:20 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 11:46:10 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By JimEb:

This.  So many times these videos lure us with a promise of showing us an outrageous travesty to get us worked up over.  Instead it’s just two assholes colliding and we don’t know who to root for.  
View Quote

QFT.................  this right here!  

I REALLY like that................  mind if I qoute that every time someone posts one of these clipbait things and I'm supposed to get all worked up and upset?
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 11:46:49 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 11:49:43 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By JeepersCreepers:
Reasonable if it was a Zebra F-701.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/1/2024 11:49:54 AM EDT
[#32]
Sheesh. A maglight I understand, but a pen?
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 11:53:57 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By UV18:
I agree with the comments here. Petit theft should be tolerated and nothing done to recover what was stolen.

Please look up your state law and understand the $ amount for the difference between a misdemeanor and the next higher classification of crime. Then don't get made when someone steals it.

ETA- Are we supposed to just ignore the chase side and him taking off from the car? GD never disappoints.
View Quote

I definately think that we should treat the theft of a pen as a very serious matter.  We should also treat an officer losing a department issued pen with the same gravitas.  Losing a Bic should be at least a week unpaid leave.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 11:55:05 AM EDT
[#34]
I can understand. I’ve lost some nice pens before.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 12:00:55 PM EDT
[#35]
Did the officer go home safe that night?  That’s all that matters.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 12:08:12 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 12:10:49 PM EDT
[#37]
Bray could have just stopped, and returned the pen when the officer first brought up the issue.

Bray could have stopped when the officer was behind him, lights on.  Or, maybe yielded to the vehicle, if he somehow believed the cop behind him wasn't really after him, in particular, but someone else down the road, or something.

No.  Bray sought escalating police interaction.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 12:12:32 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Bama-Shooter:

If in my early days if they drove off with one of my Cross pens then I would chase the person down and retrieve it. It's MY property.

Even a cheap pen is MY property. However if tomorrow I was still handwriting tickets, having to get signatures and the person PURPOSEFULLY drove off with my cheap pen.

I would go back to my department, download the video, use the attached information from the citation, file a report, go see the magistrate and swear out a warrant for arrest for the person.

Then one day in the future when he is driving around all smug with himself thinking how he stole that cops pen and got away with it. That running a stop sign traffic stop is going to pop a warrant for arrest.
View All Quotes

I'm so glad we moved away from having signed citations. People would hold my pen hostage while they lectured/cussed me.

Never give them control of the citation book. I also switched from good pens to cheap pens for traffic cites. So I could just walk away.

What would you have done if someone drove off with your pen? I am not being sarcastic. Genuine question

If in my early days if they drove off with one of my Cross pens then I would chase the person down and retrieve it. It's MY property.

Even a cheap pen is MY property. However if tomorrow I was still handwriting tickets, having to get signatures and the person PURPOSEFULLY drove off with my cheap pen.

I would go back to my department, download the video, use the attached information from the citation, file a report, go see the magistrate and swear out a warrant for arrest for the person.

Then one day in the future when he is driving around all smug with himself thinking how he stole that cops pen and got away with it. That running a stop sign traffic stop is going to pop a warrant for arrest.

Do you guys not have a supply cabinet with boxes of pens in them?
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 12:13:19 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By L_JE:
Bray could have just stopped, and returned the pen when the officer first brought up the issue.

Bray could have stopped when the officer was behind him, lights on.  Or, maybe yielded to the vehicle, if he somehow believed the cop behind him wasn't really after him, in particular, but someone else down the road, or something.

No.  Bray sought escalating police interaction.
View Quote

It takes two to tango.  The cop was a willing participant in the escalation.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 12:13:31 PM EDT
[#40]

View All Quotes
I guess taking a pen equals permanent bodily injury and possible death. People wonder why there is a divide between LE and the public. Some fine protecting and serving. Murderers and rapists in the loose and this is how they spend their time.

Where exactly does "snarky punk" fall on the use of force continuum?
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 12:16:04 PM EDT
[#41]
I'm conflicted, but I also think thieves who knowingly deprive someone of their own property should learn the FAFO philosophy.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 12:19:20 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 12:21:32 PM EDT
[#43]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By luscioman:

Everyone can make arrests if they witness the crime being committed which is exactly the circumstance luscioman is describing. So, if he tased someone and broke their leg for stealing a pen what is the likely outcome for him?
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 12:22:29 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Piratepast40:

If we search your house and find hotel, bank, insurance, and other logo pens, should you be legally arrested?

This thread is full of privilege, arrogance, hubris, and abuse of authority.  We don't hire you to chase and abuse people that pissed you off by taking your pen.  We paid to train you to be emotionally mature and not a little crybaby bully.
View Quote

I certainly hope that department issued pen is only used for official business also. I'd love to see a lost or stolen report for said department issued pen.

I see these types as giving out littering tickets at accident scenes also.

Link Posted: 5/1/2024 12:23:08 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Norinco982lover:
How many of you commenting in this thread are a police officer who have had someone try to steal your pen on a traffic stop?

I am.

This lady was upset for getting a ticket for her several months expired registration and when I handed her a pen to sign the ticket she wouldn’t give it back.

The conversation went like:

Her: give me my license
Me: give me my pen
Her: it’s just a pen
Me: it’s department property

We went back and forth like this for a full minute or so before she finally gave the pen back, I gave her the ticket and her license and she went on her merry way.

I absolutely would have been able to legally arrest her for committing the crime of theft in my presence.

If you resist arrest, I am able to use whatever force is necessary to effect the arrest.

I would argue that I had a duty to recover the pen as it was issued to me and not my property to give away.
View Quote

BTDT, cleared the call and moved on with my life.

Link Posted: 5/1/2024 12:25:33 PM EDT
[#46]

Nope.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SmilingBandit:

I'm so glad we moved away from having signed citations. People would hold my pen hostage while they lectured/cussed me.

Never give them control of the citation book. I also switched from good pens to cheap pens for traffic cites. So I could just walk away.

What would you have done if someone drove off with your pen? I am not being sarcastic. Genuine question

Do you guys not have a supply cabinet with boxes of pens in them?

Nope.

That's absurd.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 12:27:24 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Scott-S6:

Everyone can make arrests if they witness the crime being committed which is exactly the circumstance luscioman is describing. So, if he tased someone and broke their leg for stealing a pen what is the likely outcome for him?
View Quote

You can make a citizens arrest for a misdemeanor?  Well, ain't that some shit.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 12:29:27 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Creatyre:

"Followed him home"

You mean with lights and sirens and the suspect refused to stop? Because that's what happened.
View Quote

Sounds like a failure to stop when commanded and pursuit was initiated. Pursuit terminated in suspects driveway, because suspect was still being a snarky cunt.

It's a fucking pen. Just give it back.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 12:31:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GDaawg] [#49]
It's funny but not the hill I'd ride the lightning on.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 12:32:34 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By rb889:
It wasn’t about the pen. It was the disrespect.

Officer roid rage needs a pack of bic clicktops, a big bottle of xanax, and 5-10 in the pen for grievous bodily injury, and/or attempted murder.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top