Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 6:32:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Yeremyahu] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
midcap: All that mattered was the George W got Saddam for his daddy.

I am still trying to figure out what Iraq had to do with the GWOT.
View Quote
This was not about the senior Bush.  As an example of the preexisting plans concerning the Global War on Terror you can consider that the Patriot Act was ready to roll before 9/11.  The very influential Project for the New American Century, founded in 1997 by Irving Kristol and Robert Kagan, was advocating for stringent action against Iraq from its beginning.  They sought to transform the Middle Eastern Arab and Iranian states as entities unable to exert independent geopolitical will.

PNAC dovetailed with the Yinon Plan that was published in 1982 by Oded Yinon, a man who would become a prominent advisor of Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon.  The Yinon Plan was a strategy of destabilization to be used to bring about the territorial expansion of Israel into the borders of so called Greater Israel.  The Yinon Plan, like the Project for the New American Century, sought to create chaos in the states neighboring Israel through a means of direct action, indirect action, and surreptitious manipulations of internal politics. The Yinon Plan identified Iraq as the prime candidate for overturning of government.

The West's use for Iraq was as a check on the Islamic Republic of Iran and as a source of oil, after Iraq exhausted itself against Iran it was of no more use, and the oil could be obtained from other places.  Iraq then had lost its use to the West, and it's legacy rocket program posed a concern for Israel and the Gulf Arabs so it had become a problem.  One could imagine what political power a radicalized Fatah could have wielded if it had been boosted with Iraqi patronage in light of the power of Hamas and Hezbollah under Iranian patronage.  For the Bush Administration turning 9/11 into the Global War on Terror allowed them to progress efforts against Iraq, and arrogantly anticipated this would lead to easy action against Iran and Syria.  After Israel's 1981 Operation Opera strike on Iraq's nuclear facility, Iraq would never have had the ability to produce nuclear weapons in Saddam's lifespan, and it's chemical weapons program was dead after the First Gulf War.  The schizoid worries of those things were deliberately exaggerated because the figure of Saddam provided an inspiration of independence to other Arab countries, and specifically to the Palestinians.  Certainly, Saudi Arabia was happy to not have a strong Iraq next door, but all it's done is invite Iran into the vacuum to reassert its traditional role as hegemon of Mesopotamia.  ETA: We could also wonder what kind of geostrategic maneuvers Putin could have pulled off with an existent Baath Iraq in 2014, especially if he could have developed a peace accord between it and the Islamic Republic of Iran.

This is only tangentially related to the topic at hand but had Gaddafi been allowed to progress he would have developed a natural gas field in Libya's coastal waters, and his close economic ties with Italy would have allowed Italy to rank up its standing in the European Union as one of the major players.  Gaddafi's death was a consequence of the Invasion of Iraq, and as a consequence of his death Europe was flooded with huge numbers of North and Subsaharan Africans as invaders under the guise of refugees and welfare migrants.  ETA: Those developments were amenable to the both the World Economic Forum/Ehud Barak faction as well as the Neocon/Netanyahu faction of the West.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 6:33:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Getting rid of Saddam was worth it.  The 18 more years weren't.  We should have gone in, deposed him, gotten things semi-stable, and left.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 6:34:19 PM EDT
[#3]
If you're not taking over (like we did in Europe and Japan)  then they're of limited value.  At least the colonialists extracted some riches and left some remnants of their culture and governmental expertise.

Link Posted: 5/1/2024 6:46:09 PM EDT
[#4]
It’s was a pointless endeavor. I lived for a year in Iraq as an advisor to former Baathist Iraqi Army officers. It was a very interesting experience, and the one thing it taught me is that Sadaam should’ve been left in power. Lots and lots of great young men and women lost with nothing of note gained.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 6:48:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FMJshooter] [#5]
Like it or not somebody has to stand up for the west when It's getting openly shat on by scumbags.

Invasion was righteous, then it turned into one catastrophic planning failure after another.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 6:50:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By FMJshooter:
Like it or not somebody has to stand up for the west when It's getting openly shat on by scumbags.

Invasion was righteous, them it turned into catastrophic planning failure.
View Quote

Righteous for what reason? None of the Iraqi ruling party had anything to do with 9/11. Literally nothing at all, and as I later found out, most of them were very against the idea of doing something like that.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 6:51:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By mgwantob:

Righteous for what reason? None of the Iraqi ruling party had anything to do with 9/11. Literally nothing at all, and as I later found out, most of them were very against the idea of doing something like that.
View Quote

Iraq had as much to do with 9/11 as Poland had to do with the Reichstag fire.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 6:54:23 PM EDT
[#8]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

The only connection to 9/11 was a renewed concern for unresolved threats from actors who had already made it clear they'd like to hurt us.

Iraq would have likely armed or equipped a group like Bin Laden's in a heartbeat.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 6:55:53 PM EDT
[#9]
We should have gone in, done what needs to be done, and left immediately. The sticking around to rebuild everything we destroyed thing just isn't working for us.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 6:59:07 PM EDT
[#10]
I was in Afghanistan early.  I remember Iraq being brought up in April of 02 after one of our mission briefs.  I did the typical, "wait...what?!" double take to the person that mentioned it.  

I thought it wasn't a good choice back then with the limited information I had about the why, and after 15+ deployments, I still think it wasn't a righteous choice on our part.

Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:02:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Bohr_Adam:

The only connection to 9/11 was a renewed concern for unresolved threats from actors who had already made it clear they'd like to hurt us.

Iraq would have likely armed or equipped a group like Bin Laden's in a heartbeat.
View All Quotes

The thing is though, the Ba’ath party in Iraq definitely did not want to re-live that rodeo they experienced in the early 90s. Because of that, Saddam and crew veered heavily from anyone wanting Sharia law. They saw the writing on the wall.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:02:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FMJshooter] [#12]

View Quote

Read some of the official reasons for entering. Saddam openly shat on the U.S and Nato for a decade, the west basically lost all influence over the entire region (starting under Clinton) and we paid for it. Bush had to reestablish our influence, he really had no choice. Really it dates back to Carter.

It would not have just worked out on it's own. I don't understand why many conservatives seem to think that things that happen outside our borders will magically work themselves out.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:09:59 PM EDT
[#13]

Read some of the official reasons for entering. Saddam openly shat on the U.S and Nato for a decade, the west basically lost all influence over the entire region (starting under Clinton) and we paid for it. Bush had to reestablish our influence, he really had no choice.

It would not have just worked out on it's own. I don't understand why many conservatives seem to think that things that happen outside our borders will magically work themselves out.
View All Quotes

Read some of the official reasons for entering. Saddam openly shat on the U.S and Nato for a decade, the west basically lost all influence over the entire region (starting under Clinton) and we paid for it. Bush had to reestablish our influence, he really had no choice.

You only saw what you were meant to see. The reality was a very different scenario. I too was brainwashed by the official narrative until I literally lived amongst these people on a day to day basis for an extended period of time.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:12:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FMJshooter] [#14]

You only saw what you were meant to see. The reality was a very different scenario. I too was brainwashed by the official narrative until I literally lived amongst these people on a day to day basis for an extended period of time.
View Quote

Lol please don't tell me you're a war for oil retard.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:13:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By DonS:

But I'm right. War is just about imposing your will.

The people who think they are peaceful have the same impulse to impose their will as any others.

John Lennon's Imagine, a love song to communism, suggests ending religion and private property. That can't be imposed without force.

All the Karen's, all those who support some form of political action, want their will imposed on others. If others don't comply it has to be forced.

View Quote

What does all of this have to do with my post?  Next time don't quote me, just post your post on its own two legs.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:15:43 PM EDT
[#16]

View All Quotes

What are you talking about? I’m a “no war” retard. Did you serve in Iraq in a position where you actually interacted on a daily basis for an extended period of time with high level former Ba’ath party officials and Anbar tribal sheikhs? I did, and I know what I am talking about.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:18:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:30:47 PM EDT
[#18]

What are you talking about? I’m a “no war” retard. Did you serve in Iraq in a position where you actually interacted on a daily basis for an extended period of time with high level former Ba’ath party officials and Anbar tribal sheikhs? I did, and I know what I am talking about.
View All Quotes

Maybe he meant me.
I’m a war for oil type.
Iraq has what, like 15-20% of the oil in the Middle East?
Close to 10% of the oil in the world?
We should have kept it after going to the trouble of a war.

Then done the same to Venezuela.

And after those two examples told Canada they were now part of America, each province counts as a state, or they’d be getting the same treatment.  
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:31:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Cincinnatus:
People like to pretend that had we not invaded, the world would have frozen in that moment, and nothing would have happened.

The French and Chinese were undermining the sanctions…

View Quote

Care to explain in what meaningful way? The Russians quit exporting aircraft repair parts and munitions to Iraq in 1992 and it grounded about 95% of Iraq’s air power by 2001. Iraq lost all of their French aircraft as they were evacuated to Iran in Desert Shield and seized. Iraq had no means of projecting power by 2003, not even to protect their own borders. They had hardly any useable artillery ammunition when the war kicked off in 2003. Many units were sent into battle with no ammunition in the invasion which is why they immediately surrendered. I personally interviewed a battery commander of a D-20 equipped unit who was sent to the front lines with 11 152mm shells for like 8 guns. He ordered his troops to depress the barrels to the ground, hoist the white flag, and wait to be captured. It was hopeless.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:32:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FMJshooter] [#20]

View Quote

If they weren't Iranians then no you don't. Read Yeremyahus post at the top of the page, he seems to be in the know. Iraq was the low hanging fruit.

You have to start in the 70's and work up from there to even get a glimpse of the big picture, it's incredibly complex and I'm not really qualified to explain a 1/4 of it.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:32:59 PM EDT
[#21]

View All Quotes

You said the Iraqi ruling party had anything to do with 9/11, as if implying it countered some official narrative.

Since then, you've repeated more disconnected stuff.

You say you were brainwashed by a narrative which you don't even seem to remember correctly.

Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:33:08 PM EDT
[#22]
A few trillion dollars out the door.  Money well spent?

Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:35:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MikeJGA] [#23]
It was NEOCON/Deep State bullshit, is what I said then and now.  FGB was a sock puppet for Rummmy, Chaney, Tennet.  The justification was a pack of lies and they tricked Powell into selling it.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:35:53 PM EDT
[#24]

Care to explain in what meaningful way? The Russians quit exporting aircraft repair parts and munitions to Iraq in 1992 and it grounded about 95% of Iraq’s air power by 2001. Iraq lost all of their French aircraft as they were evacuated to Iran in Desert Shield and seized. Iraq had no means of projecting power by 2003, not even to protect their own borders. They had hardly any useable artillery ammunition when the war kicked off in 2003. Many units were sent into battle with no ammunition in the invasion which is why they immediately surrendered. I personally interviewed a battery commander of a D-20 equipped unit who was sent to the front lines with 11 152mm shells for like 8 guns. He ordered his troops to depress the barrels to the ground, hoist the white flag, and wait to be captured. It was hopeless.
View All Quotes
People like to pretend that had we not invaded, the world would have frozen in that moment, and nothing would have happened.

As he said, it's like you think the world would have frozen at that moment.

And meeting a former regime guy in Iraq who actually supported fighting Americans is like meeting a German in 1946 that admitted to being a Nazi. Believing them? That's a different story.

Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:37:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Is Iraq invading anyone since? No, so yes it was worth it.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:38:28 PM EDT
[#26]

You said the Iraqi ruling party had anything to do with 9/11, as if implying it countered some official narrative.

You say you were brainwashed by a narrative which you don't even seem to remember correctly.

View All Quotes

I said they had nothing to do with 9/11 and they didn’t. The narrative in 2003 was fear mongering to try to make people think the Iraqis posed an additional threat, specifically with WMDs. Sure, they had a few dated chemical weapons but nothing they could project and certainly nothing nuclear as was said.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:38:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:39:42 PM EDT
[#28]
No.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:40:10 PM EDT
[#29]
OPs answer: No.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:41:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Yes
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:42:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Nope.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:42:42 PM EDT
[#32]

And meeting a former regime guy in Iraq who actually supported fighting Americans is like meeting a German in 1946 that admitted to being a Nazi. Believing them? That's a different story.

View All Quotes

The Arab dictators kept a balance in that region for 40+ years. Now the real crazies are running the show.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:43:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By mbg0001:

Given what we know now, I doubt GWB was given the accurate correct intel on Sadam's programs, capabilities and intents.

What was presented to the public?  It was justified.

What actually happened?  We took a contained cancer, metastasized it, then allowed it to migrate throughout the Middle East, SE Asia  and Europe.

For better or worse, this is a portion of the world that only understands total war.  Should have either waged it that way, or bottled them up and let them stew.
View Quote

I think the first part is understated. The GWOT was one of the first major deep state operations utilizing the President as the unwitting leader, in my opinion.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:43:43 PM EDT
[#34]

Yes.  You are describing the effects of the sanctions.
View All Quotes

Yes.  You are describing the effects of the sanctions.

You said the Chinese and French were undermining them. How?
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:44:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Not worth it for we the people, worth it for big gov/politicians.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:45:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By LonghornAR:
Not worth it. We would have accomplished the same without the nation building part. In the greater scheme of things, having Iraq counterbalance Iran was a necessary evil for that shithole of a region.
View Quote

Saddam was not a counterbalance to Iran. I was with the Elf 1 mission in 1985. Iran and Iraq were a huge destabilizing problem. We eliminated one-half of the problem. That was a bad on our part. We have a bad habit of not finishing the job.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:48:08 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:48:51 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:52:13 PM EDT
[#39]

View Quote

The world could be very different today; all wars are banker wars, they profit the most have for the last 100 years.

It has been speculated that the bankers are the top tier puppet masters, they are the ones behind the WEF and the New World Order curtain.

That the massive profit from the post 9/11 wars including Iraq is what is funding the woke movement, mass immigration into the West, the control of the MSM, Hollywood, the corporate world, Western governments, the systematic destruction of the West and the ushering in of a global governance.

Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:55:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Cincinnatus] [#40]
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:57:09 PM EDT
[#41]
I’m out. That war, and all of the dead young men and women as a result, was perhaps the biggest mistake in the history of this country.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:59:03 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By aggiesq:
knowing what we know now, bad choice. but understandable at the time.
View Quote

As others have also said the above pretty much sums up what I believe about it now.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:59:26 PM EDT
[#43]
I still haven’t come to terms with it. Or with the Afghanistan pullout. I know I have a lot of personal baggage I haven’t fully dealt with though. Hopefully someday day I’ll find clarity and can put it behind me.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:59:52 PM EDT
[#44]
It was worth it for the friends we made and the fun we had along the way.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 8:01:52 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Socio:

The world could be very different today; all wars are banker wars, they profit the most have for the last 100 years.

It has been speculated that the bankers are the top tier puppet masters, they are the ones behind the WEF and the New World Order curtain.

That the massive profit from the post 9/11 wars including Iraq is what is funding the woke movement, mass immigration into the West, the control of the MSM, Hollywood, the corporate world, Western governments, the systematic destruction of the West and the ushering in of a global governance.

View Quote

Wow! That is a lot of fantasy there. Did you get that from a Wacko comic book?
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 8:07:13 PM EDT
[#46]
I think it's interesting that most people seem to take as an axiom the absolute falsehood that there were no weapons of mass destruction in Iraq.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 8:08:37 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Josh:
I think it's interesting that most people seem to take as an axiom the absolute falsehood that there were no weapons of mass destruction in Iraq.
View Quote

A lot of people like to pretend that Iraq didn't gas the Kurds and cause a generational loss of life. Near genocide. But I guess some are probably too young to know that.

Those chemical weapons are weapons of mass destruction.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 8:09:52 PM EDT
[#48]
Waste of Blood and Treasure. But we had to get it on.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 8:11:07 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By TaskForce:

A lot of people like to pretend that Iraq didn't gas the Kurds and cause a generational loss of life. Near genocide. But I guess some are probably too young to know that.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TaskForce:
Originally Posted By Josh:

It's ironic this is the site I went to in 2004 to get the stories cnn wasn't reporting on, with people who were there finding a bunch of shit and posting pics and posting when they could.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 8:11:17 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Falcon09:
I was pissed when we got the cease fire call over the radio during Desert Storm, we should have finished the job then.
View Quote

Why?  FSH was an asshole, but we have left lots of asshole leaders alone.  FGHWB fucking gave FSH the green light to invade Kuwait. Our mandate was to push his forces out of Kuwait when that was done we were supposed to stop hostilities.  FWIW, I was there also
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top