Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/30/2024 4:27:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AzzFaceKillah]
They are about the size of a hummingbird, my favorite animal. But they have whiskers. They sing all night because apparently their aren't a lot of females of the species. So they really gotta put that effort in.

I whistle back to them sometimes, those little birds always whistle back.

I'll be damned if they don't remind me of my Grandfather and Grandmother, when I'd visit.  We'd always go fishing in May. and in May, the mayflys  would be may flying.  Always the best time for fishing. We'd fill 2 or maybe 3 o f the old igloos with a enough bream and cat for the year to feed 3 families.

I love this time of the year in Georgia.

Link Posted: 4/30/2024 5:18:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Blackberry Smoke "The Whippoorwill" | OFF THE AVENUE E140
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 5:22:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 5:25:12 AM EDT
[#3]
One of my favorite birds, I don't here them around here.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 5:36:46 AM EDT
[#4]
I look forward to hearing them when we're down at camp. I never realized they were so small.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 5:57:26 AM EDT
[#5]
I hate those fucking things.  Never fails, every time, right when I'm almost asleep.....

I did learn about the chuck wills widow a couple years ago when I took my nod on vacation and was wandering around at night.  I figured they were related.  

Link Posted: 4/30/2024 6:03:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Taom:
One of my favorite birds, I don't here them around here.
View Quote

I have a hummingbird that has been here for 5 years, little ruby throat but he a has come back for 4  years. This  year he came back with a girlfriend. They are pollinating most of my garden, but honestly.

I just like seeing them together.

He came  here  five years ago and his 5th he brought his little lady. I'd never even seen a mating pair of hummingbirds till 3 weeks ago.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 6:05:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By brandon_:
I hate those fucking things.  Never fails, every time, right when I'm almost asleep.....

I did learn about the chuck wills widow a couple years ago when I took my nod on vacation and was wandering around at night.  I figured they were related.  

View Quote

In the South it's a lullaby.  I pity you.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 6:11:57 AM EDT
[#8]
When I was a kid one used to sit on a big rock outside my bedroom window and carry on. It must have been his favorite spot.  What most people don't know is: they are FUCKING LOUD.  Like really loud.  Wake up panicked from a dead sleep loud.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 6:15:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: StromBusa] [#9]
Originally Posted By sbude57:
I look forward to hearing them when we're down at camp. I never realized they were so small.
View Quote

They run bigger here, very selective for territory location.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 6:20:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Definitely reminds me of childhood.  Most ground nesting migratory birds are in massive decline. Sometimes I would actually see them in the gravel roads before sun up.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 6:31:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Love hearing them,  along with loons, and killdeer.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 7:04:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By AzzFaceKillah:
They are about the size of a hummingbird, my favorite animal. But they have whiskers. They sing all night because apparently their aren't a lot of females of the species. So they really gotta put that effort in.

I whistle back to them sometimes, those little birds always whistle back.

I'll be damned if they don't remind me of my Grandfather and Grandmother, when I'd visit.  We'd always go fishing in May. and in May, the mayflys  would be may flying.  Always the best time for fishing. We'd fill 2 or maybe 3 o f the old igloos with a enough bream and cat for the year to feed 3 families.

I love this time of the year in Georgia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIxfVSS_65o
View Quote

Preach it!  Amen!
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 7:06:58 AM EDT
[#13]
I'M SO LONESOME I COULD CRY (1949) by Hank Williams

First line OP!
One of the greatest songs ever written.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 7:16:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By StromBusa:

View Quote

This. Around here they are smallish, retarded looking owls.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 7:29:31 AM EDT
[#15]
All i know is that Randy’s love is longer than the song of one
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 7:31:50 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By 1badf350:
All i know is that Randy’s love is longer than the song of one
View Quote

Wonder how old Randy Travis is doing these days. I know he had a stroke. Then before that he was arrested for being found drunk on the steps of a Baptist church. Dude has some demons.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 7:51:42 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By colklink:

Wonder how old Randy Travis is doing these days. I know he had a stroke. Then before that he was arrested for being found drunk on the steps of a Baptist church. Dude has some demons.
View Quote

He’s the reason I started listening to country music. Saw him at the Georgia Mountain Fair circa 1990 (IIRC).  Dude could sing!
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 7:54:37 AM EDT
[#18]
Have them on my hunting lease,love to hear them when I'm camping.

Last year during Turkey season had at least 2 near me they "sang" most of the night.Reminded me of growing up in Ky.

It's quiet on 4K acres of piney/hardwood forest in SE Tn.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 7:56:35 AM EDT
[#19]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By StromBusa:

The ones I see are bigger than a sparrow.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 7:58:14 AM EDT
[#20]
It’s cool the first time you hear one.  

But then after an hour of constant “whip-poor-will-whip-poor-will……” you just want that damn thing to shut up.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 7:58:15 AM EDT
[#21]
They were going off when i got to my turkey spot saturday morning.  Can’t remember the last time i heard so many.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 8:05:36 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Bandhunter:
They were going off when i got to my turkey spot saturday morning.  Can’t remember the last time i heard so many.
View Quote

They'll be done long before then.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 8:09:55 AM EDT
[#23]
We’ve got a couple CWW which hang around our camphouse. I love going to sleep listening to them.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 8:11:08 AM EDT
[#24]
This time of year we have a few you hear at night. Love hearing them.

Also when we have a owl is real cool.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 8:27:05 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By redfish86:

He’s the reason I started listening to country music. Saw him at the Georgia Mountain Fair circa 1990 (IIRC).  Dude could sing!
View Quote

Agreed. Not like these Jason Aldean fags populating ' country ' music these days.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 9:00:49 AM EDT
[#26]
Don't seem to have the whippoorwhill in my part of north Georgia. Too bad, I wouldn't mind hearing that.

Love that particular Hank William's tune. A couple years ago, I restored two old Victrolla hand cranked record players. One from 1916 and one from 1921. It pleases me to shut off everything electric, wind those up, and listen to Hank while sipping something cold.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 9:09:04 AM EDT
[#27]
Sometimes you have to stop to smell the roses, or in this case, listen to the woods.

We don't whippoorwill much around here but we definitely loon and barred owl calls at night and nobody misses the calls of the pterodactyl sand hill cranes.

Link Posted: 4/30/2024 9:10:25 AM EDT
[#28]
My favorite has always been the red-wing blackbird.  When they show up, spring is coming on fast.  My wife is the same.  We both can't wait to hear em!

Link Posted: 4/30/2024 9:12:36 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 9:29:57 AM EDT
[#30]
It's nice for about 5 minutes.

Then, 4 hours later at 2 am and I'm trying to sleep in my tent and there is still a CONSTANT "whipoorwill, whipoorwill, whipoorwill" and I'm ready to break out the shotgun and thermals.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 9:34:59 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By QRB:
Don't seem to have the whippoorwhill in my part of north Georgia. Too bad, I wouldn't mind hearing that.

Love that particular Hank William's tune. A couple years ago, I restored two old Victrolla hand cranked record players. One from 1916 and one from 1921. It pleases me to shut off everything electric, wind those up, and listen to Hank while sipping something cold.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/30/2024 9:36:46 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Ridgerunner9876:

Then, 4 hours later at 2 am and I'm trying to sleep in my tent and there is still a CONSTANT "whipoorwill, whipoorwill, whipoorwill" and I'm ready to break out the shotgun and thermals.
View Quote

You’re doing it wrong. Just think of it as a lullaby or counting sheep.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 10:08:02 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Paul:
Sometimes you have to stop to smell the roses, or in this case, listen to the woods.

We don't whippoorwill much around here but we definitely loon and barred owl calls at night and nobody misses the calls of the pterodactyl sand hill cranes.

View Quote
One of my favorite memories of living in Maine is listening to the Loons on the lake as the sun is setting, when the wind calms down and the water is like glass. Eerie and beautiful at the same time.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 10:14:56 AM EDT
[#34]
I'm so Lonesome I Could Cry
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 10:18:48 AM EDT
[#35]
They are far bigger than a hummingbird.
Nothing is similar in size to a hummingbird except a few bugs.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 10:20:25 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Oldgold:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By QRB:

These two fellas... My kinda people.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 10:20:51 AM EDT
[#37]
We have one in the woods behind our house. Heard him Last night.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 10:21:51 AM EDT
[#38]
Ever hear a chuck will widow?  Related. Theyre fucking LOUD!
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 10:22:43 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By ARMinnesota:
They are far bigger than a hummingbird.
Nothing is similar in size to a hummingbird except a few bugs.
View Quote

Yeah but as birds go, they are pretty small. And the whisker make em look like mice.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 10:24:58 AM EDT
[#40]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WXYjm74WFI

First line OP!
View Quote

Came to post this.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 10:26:02 AM EDT
[#41]
Seldom hear them anymore. I guess the habitat has been overrun with houses and the like. Just like the Bobwhites. A shame.

The Meadowlarks seem to have lessened in quantity too. I enjoyed seeing those guys take off. Sort of ungainly looking.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 10:27:50 AM EDT
[#42]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WXYjm74WFI

First line OP!
View Quote

First thing that came to mind.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 10:28:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: eracer] [#43]
Originally Posted By kennyrock12:
My favorite has always been the red-wing blackbird.  When they show up, spring is coming on fast.  My wife is the same.  We both can't wait to hear em!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3QicOAiBXk
View Quote

When I was an 8 year-old boy my Daisy Red Ryder slayed a bunch of those.  The red patch on the wing made a nice sight picture.

Today of course I'd never harm one.  They are cool birds with a melodious song.

I love hearing the whipporwhils this time of year.  Loons up north are the best.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 10:28:45 AM EDT
[#44]
They make some great sleeping music. I rarely hear them now but they were here when I was a kid.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 10:34:01 AM EDT
[#45]
The sound of the mourning dove takes me back to my childhood.
Growing up in the south.
I never hear them here in the NW.

Link Posted: 4/30/2024 10:38:51 AM EDT
[#46]

View Quote

Yep. I sleep like a baby with loud frogs, crickets, loons, etc. Whippoorwills are annoying as fuck when I'm trying to sleep.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 10:42:23 AM EDT
[#47]

View Quote
Yep, that and the barred owls. I was woke up by that this morning right outside my window.

Link Posted: 4/30/2024 10:50:49 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By AzzFaceKillah:

They'll be done long before then.
View Quote

Tell them that.  It was 5am
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 10:54:12 AM EDT
[#49]
In South Africa there is a bird related to the whippoorwill that sounds like a whippoorwill singing backwards, I called it a willowhippoor. I can't remember what they are actually called but my name for it made sense.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 11:07:53 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top