Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/1/2024 1:24:49 AM EDT
Workers' comp claim denied after nurse's coworkers fail to give CPR

Prepare to be angry...

Oh, and "suddenly"
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 1:49:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Her sister believes her sudden cardiac arrest was brought on by the immense stress of being a front-line worker during Covid.
View Quote
...and this is where they lost me.

I just can't imagine being a nurse in any setting, though, and completely ignoring a person coding (especially a co-worker) and doing nothing but recording it on my phone.  Wonder if it was vertical video or not?
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 1:49:55 AM EDT
[#2]
WtF?  That's ridiculous.

Oh, and if you have cancer (fuck cancer BTW!), I wouldn't go to that facility.  They are clearly not qualified to do anything in the medical field.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 2:00:54 AM EDT
[#3]
That's infuriating. Trained medical professionals can't do anything but video a person suffering cardiac arrest.

Link Posted: 5/1/2024 2:13:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I just can't imagine being a nurse in any setting, though, and completely ignoring a person coding (especially a co-worker) and doing nothing but recording it on my phone.  Wonder if it was vertical video or not?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Her sister believes her sudden cardiac arrest was brought on by the immense stress of being a front-line worker during Covid.

This. They have a duty to try and help her (rather than video tape her, ghouls) if they have a human bone in their body. But I don't think it's a worker's comp issue. It's something, but not that.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 2:30:20 AM EDT
[#5]
If the nurse that did nothing gets fired, she has a promising future with Uvalde PD
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 2:40:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Hard to believe that level of incompetence but that's some nursing home level of care.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 2:50:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
That's infuriating. Trained medical professionals can't do anything but video a person suffering cardiac arrest.

View Quote

My dad was a firefighter. Back in the 80s, they responded to a person having a heart attack at a hotel conference room. When they got there, they found out the patient was a doctor, in a room full of doctors, at the hotel for a conference for doctors. None of them knew or did CPR and the guy ended up dead.

In high school, I was a cadet at our fire department. One time we were called out to a difficulty breathing call at a doctors office that specialized in respiratory illnesses. We arrived at the same time as the ambulance, gave her high flow O2, and the ambulance crew transported her to the hospital... 300 yards away.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 3:03:46 AM EDT
[#8]
We arrived at the same time as the ambulance, gave her high flow O2, and the ambulance crew transported her to the hospital... 300 yards away.
View Quote
Was she supposed to otherwise walk to the ER?
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 3:15:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

No... that one I kind of understand, but found it odd that nobody had even thought about giving her O2 before we got there. They could have put her in a wheel chair with an O2 bottle (both of which they had no more than 6' away) and wheeled her there before we even arrived.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 3:20:03 AM EDT
[#10]
In a former life I worked for a private prison. The medical staff were contracted to provide services to the inmates only and not the officers. The medical staff watched and wouldn’t provide any services when an officer collapsed from a heart attack. So other officers formed a line and took turns doing CPR until the ambulance arrived.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 4:30:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Last hospital I worked at, a nurse collapsed in the nursing station during shift change, unit manager said we couldn’t help her because she wasn’t a patient, they had to summon a ACT team from two floors down.   (Nurse ended up being okay).
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 5:39:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Sociopathy isn't as rare as most would think. A lot of people don't have a moral compass.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 5:46:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Just because folks work in the medical field doesn't mean they won't lock up in an emergency.

Had many of outpatient doctors office calls where over reaction or no reaction took place. Still hard to understand how all those folks can stand around and do nothing when she coded.

Frustrating if these events actually took place, but I'm skeptical this is the whole picture being presented by the news.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 5:52:45 AM EDT
[#14]
How many likes did they get from the tik tok video though?
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 6:22:33 AM EDT
[#15]

What has happened to the General Discussion?
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 6:30:22 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Oh, and "suddenly"
View Quote

Not sure if serious, but the story you linked says this happened 5/14/2020.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 6:41:36 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
In a former life I worked for a private prison. The medical staff were contracted to provide services to the inmates only and not the officers. The medical staff watched and wouldn’t provide any services when an officer collapsed from a heart attack. So other officers formed a line and took turns doing CPR until the ambulance arrived.
View Quote

If I was an officer there, I would not forget this.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 6:42:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm a nurse. I know plenty of nurses who can't give effective BLS.
Newer nurses in the acute care setting, with BLS included.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 6:44:02 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Last hospital I worked at, a nurse collapsed in the nursing station during shift change, unit manager said we couldn’t help her because she wasn’t a patient, they had to summon a ACT team from two floors down.   (Nurse ended up being okay).
View Quote

I do not believe that for a second.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 6:46:49 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
It was vertical unless they cropped it heavily in the video.   "I think she's having a seizure."   Nope, thats not a seizure at all.  

Guess they have never witnessed someone slowly dying.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 6:59:19 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess you've missed the stories about his fucked up past workplace.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:10:33 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It’s a common mindset in nursing, especially in areas outside of critical care.  
Just like no one is going to evaluate and treat a visitor (outside of CPR), they’re sent to the ED or a rapid response team is summoned to take them to the ED.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:11:27 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Just because folks work in the medical field doesn't mean they won't lock up in an emergency.

Had many of outpatient doctors office calls where over reaction or no reaction took place. Still hard to understand how all those folks can stand around and do nothing when she coded.

Frustrating if these events actually took place, but I'm skeptical this is the whole picture being presented by the news.
View Quote

This.

I made a thread about Medical personnel not being effective during a code. It happens.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:19:17 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

It’s an infusion clinic.  Their last emergency experience was 5 years ago, when the coffee shop opened 15 minutes late.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:19:50 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

No... that one I kind of understand, but found it odd that nobody had even thought about giving her O2 before we got there. They could have put her in a wheel chair with an O2 bottle (both of which they had no more than 6' away) and wheeled her there before we even arrived.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

At a facility which specialized in treating breathing issues.

One of the CV surgeons I work with tells every med, premed, and nursing student that comes to watch surgeries that when someone is in distress the 1st and easiest thing to do is give them O2 (in a hospital setting) from a mask.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:28:49 AM EDT
[#26]
Maybe the issue is with that “patient” and not her coworkers (the rest of the staff).  

There’s a few coworkers I’d not immediately spring into action to help.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:44:50 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

This.

I made a thread about Medical personnel not being effective during a code. It happens.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Leadership in emergencies like this are big, especially when those around you are inexperienced.

Making assumptions here, but if a doc was present at bedside  and was hesitant, unsure, or reluctant (somehow not qualified from the news reporting) and those nurses/techs around him/her were looking for direction and leadership I can see how easily this can turn into a cluster fuck.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:49:14 AM EDT
[#28]
Nurses generally suck at improvised response to an emergency.

They really need to get orders from the MD and go from there.  

It’s a joke to us (medic)
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:52:02 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

Unless those nurses were former medics
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 8:07:54 AM EDT
[#30]
Workers comp is probably denying because of causal relationship... Just because a heart attack happens while working, doesn't necessarily mean it is work-related. There may be other factors in play.

Link Posted: 5/1/2024 8:09:30 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup. They tend to be much better.  You can tell when dealing with them
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 9:19:37 AM EDT
[#32]
I suspect there is more to the story.  The employer may have contested causal relationship.  In my state, we presume medical malpractice, so a medical "misadventure" as they like to call it does not break the chain of causation.  So if you're in the hospital for a left leg injury and they amputate the right, the insurer is on the hook for both, probably.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 1:30:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

This.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Most folks in the medical field have never worked in an emergency setting, usually by choice.  ACLS (Advanced Cardiac Life Support) and PALS (Pediatric Advanced Life Support) used to be pass/fail- you could mess up a couple of small things but missing a critical component such as misidentifying a lethal dysrhythmia or giving the wrong med meant you failed the class and had to retake it.  I was an instructor for about ten years and you'd have nurses crying and doctors getting furious and storming out.  It was also common for doctors to start asking stupid questions that had zero bearing on the course material just to try to stymie the instructor and, in their minds, make themselves look smarter.  You'd have to stop them, tell them their question was irrelevant for the purposes of the course, you understood that they were a physician and most of us were just paramedics and cardiac care nurses* but we were there to teach them the core components as directed by the American Heart Association because we were the people who did this more frequently and had to do it by memory and without a team.  Too many people complained and the course has been dumbed down, going from being able to take the test with an open book (but you couldn't become an instructor) to essentially a group effort and nobody fails.    

You'd also be surprised how many people who teach CPR and 1st aid have zero actual experience applying it.  

*Like most fields, certain people tend to be good to very good in their areas.  Paramedics, if they're worth anything (and a lot aren't these days and like so many jobs, it seems to have gotten worse), should know this stuff blindfolded because of the conditions they operate under and having to make decisions without a doctor standing there telling them what to do.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 2:10:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

It was also common for doctors to start asking stupid questions that had zero bearing on the course material just to try to stymie the instructor and, in their minds, make themselves look smarter.
View Quote

There's always at least one asshole in every refresher that has to come up with irrelevant questions in the effort to display superior intelligence and deep thought on the subject matter or drag on and on with war stories about how they have been there done that.

Funny to hear even with the doc's this shit is still universal.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 2:26:06 PM EDT
[#35]
I can see Upland City of Hope having their lawyer sharks "hit" (per the video) more chairs of interviewees and or otherwise intimidate all persons in an effort to obfuscate key terms like patient, client, etc. to get their staff off

https://www.rn.ca.gov/practice/npa.shtml

CA CC&Rs for Nurses has at least 3 clauses for those shitbirds "nurses" to be disciplined or revoked:
https://govt.westlaw.com/calregs/Browse/Home/California/CaliforniaCodeofRegulations?guid=IF5CA22C04C8111EC89E5000D3A7C4BC3&originationContext=documenttoc&transitionType=Default&contextData=
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 2:36:05 PM EDT
[#36]
<------------not surprised.

Giving CPR would have interfered with gathering the video for the next Tik Tok or Insta.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 2:38:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Smile and wave nursing?
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 2:42:18 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Most folks in the medical field have never worked in an emergency setting, usually by choice.  ACLS (Advanced Cardiac Life Support) and PALS (Pediatric Advanced Life Support) used to be pass/fail- you could mess up a couple of small things but missing a critical component such as misidentifying a lethal dysrhythmia or giving the wrong med meant you failed the class and had to retake it.  I was an instructor for about ten years and you'd have nurses crying and doctors getting furious and storming out.  It was also common for doctors to start asking stupid questions that had zero bearing on the course material just to try to stymie the instructor and, in their minds, make themselves look smarter.  You'd have to stop them, tell them their question was irrelevant for the purposes of the course, you understood that they were a physician and most of us were just paramedics and cardiac care nurses* but we were there to teach them the core components as directed by the American Heart Association because we were the people who did this more frequently and had to do it by memory and without a team.  Too many people complained and the course has been dumbed down, going from being able to take the test with an open book (but you couldn't become an instructor) to essentially a group effort and nobody fails.    

You'd also be surprised how many people who teach CPR and 1st aid have zero actual experience applying it.  

*Like most fields, certain people tend to be good to very good in their areas.  Paramedics, if they're worth anything (and a lot aren't these days and like so many jobs, it seems to have gotten worse), should know this stuff blindfolded because of the conditions they operate under and having to make decisions without a doctor standing there telling them what to do.
View Quote

This.  100% this.

My favorite is when the local nursing home reverts everyone in BLS (CPR)
We will get CPR performed on pts that don’t warrant it.
Seizures, AMS, DIB, etc.  

It’s like we recert their hammer and they go looking for nails.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 2:46:01 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Leadership in emergencies like this are big, especially when those around you are inexperienced.
View Quote

100% agree.  Too many people get wrapped up in a situation, or observing a situation, and nobody is in charge.  Taking charge and assigning tasks is how you get stuff done effectively.

Why that is so rare sometimes, even in professions where it should be common place, is just beyond me.

Link Posted: 5/1/2024 2:46:33 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

In all fairness could be. This happened in 2020. Long shifts little pay. Shitty state bs Covid shit all adds to stress.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 2:47:51 PM EDT
[#41]
As an EMT back in the 90’s, my first cardiac arrest call was to a private hospital. We thought they gave us the wrong address, but as we ran in the door one of the nurses asked, “Do you know CPR?”. I’m not kidding.

The patient was septic and another ambulance company had brought her in. I have no idea why, there was a Level 1 Trauma Center less than a mile away (it was in Boston, they’re everywhere). Three crews responded and we got her to a real ER alive, but she passed away later that night.

Link Posted: 5/1/2024 2:49:06 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

This.  100% this.

Seizures, AMS, DIB, etc.  

View Quote

Holy shit.  How many of them die?  I know good Samaritan laws exist, but that seems more like medical malpractice.  

Too much TV.  Their instructors need to rethink what they are doing obviously.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 2:55:21 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

There's always at least one asshole in every refresher that has to come up with irrelevant questions in the effort to display superior intelligence and deep thought on the subject matter or drag on and on with war stories about how they have been there done that.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was also common for doctors to start asking stupid questions that had zero bearing on the course material just to try to stymie the instructor and, in their minds, make themselves look smarter.

Despite prefacing every class with a comment about how we (the instructors) were usually just paramedics and nurses and that we knew there were people with far greater knowledge about the minutia of the material being presented, we were there to teach what was required for their continuing ed credit and thus continued employment, it almost never failed.  Doctors are probably some of the very worst about it in my experience, especially when you'd get a cardiologist and there were other doctors in the room.  Dude, your extensive knowledge of all aspects of the circulatory system and surgical experience have zero bearing on the fact I need you to simply place the pads in the correct location on the mannequin, identify the rhythm correctly and choose the appropriate drug to administer at the appropriate dose and time and I need you to get down on your knees and demonstrate that you can perform chest compressions, use a bag valve mask and do rescue breathing at the prescribed rates.    

EMS training classes were rarely much better, there was usually at least one or two wankers who felt the need to ask stupid questions and more often than not it tended to be EMTs for whom the question was not even relevant as it wasn't in the scope of their allowed skills and the paramedic crew chief would be the one making the decisions.  That and coming up with just stupidly improbable situations.  It was the same way working safety on oil rigs; usually some knuckle dragger deck crew asking a question that had nothing to do with their job and they were just dragging out the weekly safety meeting.  Yeah, it seems to be a common theme in all businesses from what I've seen.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 2:57:03 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Let's say an inmate attacks one of the medical staff.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 3:18:28 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Holy shit.  How many of them die?  I know good Samaritan laws exist, but that seems more like medical malpractice.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.  100% this.

Seizures, AMS, DIB, etc.  

Nursing homes, even the expensive ones, tend to be the dregs of the medical community (no offense to the few good people who work in that field, I certainly couldn't do it).  It was always kind of a running joke that nobody died in a nursing home (more paperwork and more chance of getting investigated), they died in the care of EMS or at the hospital.  The crap you'd see would blow your mind.  First, you expect to run more calls to nursing facilities early Sunday morning.  Why?  Because the staff knows more families will stop by after church to take their family member off the storage shelf and play with them say hello to the family member stuck in a living hell living out their last days there.  So the staff goes around and everyone who has bed sores and other issues suddenly needs to go to the hospital and the family is told they were "doing fine until last night" so since we care so much we called EMS to take them to the hospital, even though the problem obviously didn't just start.  Some of them you'd walk in or get off the elevator and you'd see one of the staff signaling to the others to start CPR so they could say they'd been doing it all along and we'd have to transport (luckily standing orders have changed over the years to allow for cessation of efforts).  It was common to find them doing "CPR" on a dead body, on the bed with no CPR board (so no hard surface underneath to compress against), no meds and/or compromised airway, feeding pumps that had been forgotten about so the patient's feeding tube had backed up and they'd aspirated their liquid diet (guaranteeing aspiration pneumonia), "Oh they just fell out of bed" but the bruise is older than that, and on and on.  

I got a day off because the head nurse at one facility complained that I'd stopped CPR and pronounced their patient dead because it was Christmas morning and I obviously wanted to go home.  Well yeah, it was a late call and I did want to go home but the hospital was practically next door so that wasn't really a big deal.  The fact that the patient had rigor and was being bounced up and down on a still inflated bed was why I called them.  I didn't bother to run a strip (ECG) since there were obvious signs of death, primarily rigor mortis but no vitals, pupils fixed and dilated, etc, but because the nurse raised so much hell our director decided I got a day off.  That facility was so bad that anytime they'd call we'd automatically start a supervisor en route as a backup.  Needless to say everyone, even crispy critters, a bag of mush (jumper) and a decapitation got an ECG strip after that.  

Seriously, I'd greatly prefer someone shoot me in the head before sticking me in a nursing home.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 4:18:09 PM EDT
[#46]
I don’t really want to be angry so I might skip it.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 4:21:55 PM EDT
[#47]
If I end up in a nursing home, I hope the staff is more incompetent than the stories.  Better yet, I want a bounty to go to the staffer who takes me out.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 4:23:59 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
In a former life I worked for a private prison. The medical staff were contracted to provide services to the inmates only and not the officers. The medical staff watched and wouldn't provide any services when an officer collapsed from a heart attack. So other officers formed a line and took turns doing CPR until the ambulance arrived.
View Quote
Probably hte only medical job the staff could get.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 4:36:06 PM EDT
[#49]
Hold on-

There must be more going on than the video shows.

She was moaning, moving, breathing, …
And had a pulse but with low blood pressure…

But they are suing for not doing CPR?

Where is the video where she is not making noise or breathing and does not have a pulse and them not doing CPR?
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 4:48:58 PM EDT
[#50]
Someone's getting paid.  

A duty to act.  A breach of that duty.  

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top