Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 5/12/2024 6:18:48 PM EDT
I’ve had some Romanian AKs over the years, most all of them were SAR or CUR rifles with dimpled receivers. They were built with new commercial parts of varying quality.

Recently, I bought an older WASR-10/63 and it appears this rifle is actually a factory refurbished military AKM that had a new semi-auto receiver added. It’s dated 1975 and the entire barrel assembly, carrier group, top cover, and gas tube are all factory matching. The quality is much better than any SAR series rifle I ever owned with a perfectly straight gas tube and sights. I guess I never realized that Cugir in Romania did this, and I think this may be the only commercial AK that is legit a factory refurbished military AKM. Very interesting… Cugir built these new for the Romanian army then refurbished them later on for export.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:33:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks like a good find!
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:37:15 PM EDT
[#2]
The barrel should also be new.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 12:29:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Nice
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 8:19:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Farmer-Ted:
The barrel should also be new.
View Quote

I’m not so sure it is. It doesn’t have the little ramp built into the chamber like the SAR series or the later WASRs. I think this one still has its original barrel.
Link Posted: 6/7/2024 11:18:44 PM EDT
[#5]
I heard once upon a time a lot of basically new rifles were demilled and re-built on semi receivers for civilian sales. Not sure if there is any truth to it.
Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top