Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/6/2024 10:07:45 PM EDT
I've never seen any instance where this thing even offers the slightest resistance before...

Got a DD MK18 upper, trying to install a BRT gas tube, and the roll pin absolutely will not move.
I've put 30 seconds of torch on it, and broken two 1/16" punches.. it won't move a bit.

Anyone encountered this before?  I'm not even sure how this is physically possible.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:16:58 PM EDT
[#1]
My DD gas tube pin was also crazy tight. I actually bent the first punch trying to get it to move. Wound up breaking that punch at the bend so it was only about 1/2" long and used that with a big hammer. Then used a regular punch once it had broken free to get it all the way out.

And yeah same thing, BRT tube swap.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:30:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JBecker_72:
My DD gas tube pin was also crazy tight. I actually bent the first punch trying to get it to move. Wound up breaking that punch at the bend so it was only about 1/2" long and used that with a big hammer. Then used a regular punch once it had broken free to get it all the way out.

View Quote

You're the man... used the tip of one of the broken punches with a major whack, and that finally got it started, and then it came right out.

Why?

Port in the stock tube has also got to be double the size of the one that BRT sent.  Again, why?  This is a brand new upper and based on how it shoots, it appears to me they went back to the major overgassing of the pre 2017 timeline from what I understand... anyhow, should be fixed now.

Thanks again.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:34:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:39:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By xciapup:
Not all punches are the same.
View Quote

I already have and love the G tool for getting a new gas tube roll pin installed; so much easier than tweezers and a prayer... I'll definitely add that to my cart for next time they have a sale.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:40:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By DVCNick:

You're the man... used the tip of one of the broken punches with a major whack, and that finally got it started, and then it came right out.

Why?

Port in the stock tube has also got to be double the size of the one that BRT sent.  Again, why?  This is a brand new upper and based on how it shoots, it appears to me they went back to the major overgassing of the pre 2017 timeline from what I understand... anyhow, should be fixed now.

Thanks again.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Why?

Thanks again.

If I’m understanding what you’re saying correctly, the “port” size in the gas tube itself being large has nothing to do with overgassing.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:42:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By WUPHF:

If I’m understanding what you’re saying correctly, the “port” size in the gas tube itself being large has nothing to do with overgassing.
View All Quotes

Why?

Thanks again.

This.^^^

Also to add, current DD 10.3" GP diameter is 0.070", a decrease from the over sized GP diameter of the late 2Ks.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 11:16:52 PM EDT
[#7]

View Quote

True, I would expect a DD factory upper to regulate via the barrel port size, which I'm not actually going to measure or even look at right now.

All I can tell you for sure is:

1) I had a post 2017 RIS II DD MK18 upper that was strongly, but manageably gassed to where it would function well with a carbine buffer tube/sprinco white (like a stock M4 spring) and H3 buffer with an RC2 on.
2) This brand new production RIS III MK18 upper is WAY overgassed, ejects far forward unsuppressed with anything short of an A5 tube/Sprinco green/A5H4, and still ejects to 2:00 with that setup with an RC2.

If BRT did their thing correctly, I should be at or below the total gas level of the first upper; I input unsuppressed with stock everything and an H1 into their spec sheet.  So if its good there, I should be able to go to H2/3 with a can and be right where I want to be... will find out soon.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 11:18:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: j3_] [#8]
I'd try the correct size punch.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 5:16:38 AM EDT
[#9]

True, I would expect a DD factory upper to regulate via the barrel port size, which I'm not actually going to measure or even look at right now.
View Quote

As with any factory upper, the barrel GP diameter is the determining factor with system gassing.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 7:15:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JBecker_72] [#10]

Why?

Thanks again.
View Quote
Glad you got it to work. As for the tube size, the stock one is just a milspec tube. The gas port in the barrel is what determines how it runs. The BRT tube is just a restrictor so to speak.

I have an 11.5" DDM4V7s upper and I wouldn't necessarily say it was over gassed bad. But I decided I'm not going to run it unsuppressed so may as well make it run optimally for that. I also pretty much only use 5.56 military clone ammo like M193, M855, and MK262. So I went with a .057" tube and am running it with a H2 buffer and regular carbine spring. It ejects that ammo at a consistent 3:30-4:00 ejection pattern with my YHM Turbo 3.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 7:20:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Glad you got it to work. As for the tube size, the stock one is just a milspec tube. The gas port in the barrel is what determines how it runs. The BRT tube is just a restrictor so to speak.

I have an 11.5" DDM4V7s upper and I wouldn't necessarily say it was over gassed bad. But I decided I'm not going to run it unsuppressed so may as well make it run optimally for that. I also pretty much only use 5.56 military clone ammo like M193, M855, and MK262. So I went with a .057" tube and am running it with a H2 buffer and regular carbine spring. It ejects that ammo at a consistent 3:30-4:00 ejection pattern with my YHM Turbo 3.
View Quote

@JBecker_72

Preset tube or configurable?
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 7:53:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By TGWLDR:

@JBecker_72

View Quote
Preset tube
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 8:00:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Preset tube
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TGWLDR:

@JBecker_72

Preset tube

Similar to my mine minus the spring, Sprinco blue on my end.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 8:37:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DVCNick] [#14]

View Quote

Wow that seems really small.  They sent me an .073" tube based on my inputs.  (I see yours is an 11.5 barrel as well)
I definitely will shoot it unsupressed at least half the time though, will see how she runs soon.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 9:44:05 AM EDT
[#15]

Wow that seems really small.  They sent me an .073" tube based on my inputs.  (I see yours is an 11.5 barrel as well)
I definitely will shoot it unsupressed at least half the time though, will see how she runs soon.
View Quote

Yours sounds to be a 50/50 supressed/unsupressed option.

And yeah, 10.3" vs 11.5" are 2 different animals.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 10:12:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: CATM] [#16]
Keep your broken punch, clean up the tip of it and use it as a starter punch. Always use a starter punch to get the pin moving. Then follow with a regular 1/16" roll pin punch. 1/16" punches are so fragile that even Snap-On and Proto punches will bend on a carboned-in roll pin.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 11:11:18 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By CATM:
Keep your broken punch, clean up the tip of it and use it as a starter punch. Always use a starter punch to get the pin moving. Then follow with a regular 1/16" roll pin punch. 1/16" punches are so fragile that even Snap-On and Proto punches will bend on a carboned-in roll pin.
View Quote

Will do, thanks.
I feel like they had to put something on this pin (rocksett?) to get it that tight... Upper is new with less than 500rds on it.
I've taken apart a number of factory built uppers, and just off the top of my head, on Colt, LMT, PSA, BCM, Laure, I've never seen a gas tube roll pin that didn't easily tap right out as long as the barrel was well stabilized.
New pin went in as normal, so that would seem to eliminate an undersized hole in the gas block as a potential cause?
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 9:50:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Get a set of these. You won't regret it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H407C1O?tag=arfcom00-20
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 2:09:09 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 9:00:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: OTDR] [#20]
I've never seen any instance where this thing even offers the slightest resistance before...

Got a DD MK18 upper, trying to install a BRT gas tube, and the roll pin absolutely will not move.
I've put 30 seconds of torch on it, and broken two 1/16" punches.. it won't move a bit.

Anyone encountered this before?  I'm not even sure how this is physically possible.
View Quote

There is a reason for all this, video explains. Once the pin was initially pounded in with holes not concentric, can be hard to pound out.

McMaster Carr Part # for the 5/64" Reamer is 2995A113

The problem with using the 5/64" punch for alignment is its about .005" smaller in diameter than the gauge you are going to make. Thus the punch goes thru but the gauge does not.

Gas Tube Roll Pin Problems and Resolution Tips

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top