Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/7/2024 11:08:39 PM EDT
Long story short, have had an 4X ACOG for years and just not getting the use I thought I would out of it. Looking to swap out for a Comp M4S. Problem is, never had one before. Had Comp M3s in the past and loved them. Wondering how much heavier is the M4 compared to the M3, and are they really that much bigger??? (some pics make them look huge!!).

Also, wondering how the blue tint is on the M4S. Looking online, doesn't seem to really be that much at all but so hard to tell.

Would love some owner feedback!! Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 2:11:22 AM EDT
[#1]
take a look at the comp m5s also , it's like an updated m4s

stronger body , less weight , smaller footprint
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 4:13:43 AM EDT
[#2]
there is no blue tint in any of my govt /le auction m4s i picked up. they are all super clear no tint at all or else i would have passed on them. i dont like tinted optics. the honeycomb filter screw in cap is shaded so i dont use them. maybe thats what youre referring to.

the m4s optic is the heaviest of all my aimpoint comp series red dots which i collect and use on clones. unfortunately to make things even heavier the heaviest possible version mount for the m4s is the larue high mount which i like the best due to unobstructed view over fsp m4 and m4a1 or mk18 block 1.

i think they make lighter weight high mounts but i wanted something that didnt look totally out of place so you might research that some if going the same route.

the m4 and m4s were shipped with an alkaline aa battery to us gov as per contract against aimpoints wishes so the batteries if alkaline give off gas within a sealed unit and can cause tint or hazing. thats just something to be aware of which none of my units had an issue with. thats the one and only negative thing ive ever heard about the m4s so far other than price is high and weight.

would make a good zombie apocalypse optic for sure. its top tier. an aimpoint m3 in larue high mount is probably better due to less weight. theres zero need for aa battery feature unless you just want one with batteries you can try to supply should things get super, super bad like civil war great depression ww3 all rolled into one. the old watch batteries last 8 years so lugging around a lithium aa on the side of optic seams kinda silly under normal circumstances.

Link Posted: 5/8/2024 4:14:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 1iviper:
take a look at the comp m5s also , it's like an updated m4s

stronger body , less weight , smaller footprint
View Quote

the comp m5s had some unusual issues ive not tried one yet. kinda scary.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 5:23:49 AM EDT
[#4]
M4S 9.4 oz
M3 7.8 oz
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:29:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By AK47_COMMBLOC:
there is no blue tint in any of my govt /le auction m4s i picked up. they are all super clear no tint at all or else i would have passed on them. i dont like tinted optics. the honeycomb filter screw in cap is shaded so i dont use them. maybe thats what youre referring to.

the m4s optic is the heaviest of all my aimpoint comp series red dots which i collect and use on clones. unfortunately to make things even heavier the heaviest possible version mount for the m4s is the larue high mount which i like the best due to unobstructed view over fsp m4 and m4a1 or mk18 block 1.

i think they make lighter weight high mounts but i wanted something that didnt look totally out of place so you might research that some if going the same route.

the m4 and m4s were shipped with an alkaline aa battery to us gov as per contract against aimpoints wishes so the batteries if alkaline give off gas within a sealed unit and can cause tint or hazing. thats just something to be aware of which none of my units had an issue with. thats the one and only negative thing ive ever heard about the m4s so far other than price is high and weight.

would make a good zombie apocalypse optic for sure. its top tier. an aimpoint m3 in larue high mount is probably better due to less weight. theres zero need for aa battery feature unless you just want one with batteries you can try to supply should things get super, super bad like civil war great depression ww3 all rolled into one. the old watch batteries last 8 years so lugging around a lithium aa on the side of optic seams kinda silly under normal circumstances.

View Quote

Great points and I had read that one needs to use the Lithium batteries instead for sure. Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:30:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By TGWLDR:
M4S 9.4 oz
M3 7.8 oz
View Quote

Thank you for this. Wasn't sure on the weight of the M3.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 12:36:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By AK47_COMMBLOC:

the comp m5s had some unusual issues ive not tried one yet. kinda scary.
View Quote
what issues were there with the comp m5 ?
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:55:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Yeah it's a weight. You will feel the difference.  However on a 14.5 the weight seems to be at least balanced with the stock mount.
Swapped in a lithium AA & it lasts a few years of normal use.  I do hate the brightness settings.  You have to click through all the low NV ones before you get to a decent bright sunlight setting.  Then if you do turn it off, have to cycle it all the way back, you can't go forward.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top