Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/15/2024 7:11:40 PM EDT
I am interested in a ruger Alaskan guide rifle chambered in 416 ruger. The barrel is threaded 5/8-18 which is not ideal. I would like to have it rethreaded to something that I can use a Griffin Armament taper mount muzzle device with but would prefer to avoid cutting the barrel down any if possible so the front sight does not have to be removed and reinstalled.

Would it be possible to the rethread to 5/8-24 right over top of the current threads?

Rifle
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 8:47:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 9:37:49 PM EDT
[#2]
No.  
It would be far cheaper and easier to have a direct thread adaptor made for your silencer.  

You might be able to have whatever QD adaptor you want modified to fit - find one with smaller diameter threads that can be drilled and threaded appropriately for this rifle.  Might not be feasible depending on the shape of the adaptor - it might not be reasonably able to be secured for machining.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 10:22:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Hughes Precision makes thread adapters for most of the exotic ass threads Ruger likes to use on their braked rifles. Or, Ecco Machine can bore out a smaller Griffin Taper mount  and rethread it.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 8:30:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By walldj45:
What about using a hub can?

https://www.eccomachine.net/product/direct-thread-mounts/
View Quote

This is an option, the can is a hub can but I would prefer to keep the taper mount on it since I use it with a couple rifles, this can definitely be a backup plan though.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 8:31:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By 1168RGR:
Hughes Precision makes thread adapters for most of the exotic ass threads Ruger likes to use on their braked rifles. Or, Ecco Machine can bore out a smaller Griffin Taper mount  and rethread it.
View Quote

Having a muzzle device modified may be the best option, I will look into that.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 11:16:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By SoVa:

Having a muzzle device modified may be the best option, I will look into that.
View Quote
I had it done years ago by Class 3 Machining, I don't think they do that kind of thing anymore, and Ecco just stopped accepting new work until they get caught up.  I'd recommend Paul at Country Custom Metalsmithing , he does awesome work, and is an authority on lever guns.  Tell him Aaron sent you.
Top Top