Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/4/2024 9:52:38 AM EDT
Nobody seems to know about this gun but it’s actually a great platform at a great price point. It’s well balanced, side charging, aesthetically nice and consumed cheap steel cased .223 better than almost anything else in my collection. It’s the most reliable of the lesser cost guns in my collection so it’s my choice as a trunk gun.

I wish more people were buying them so they continue to get made.

i miss you tumblr pictures
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 10:10:44 AM EDT
[#1]
First I’ve heard of it. It looks a lot like my XCR but cheaper.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 10:16:01 AM EDT
[#2]
$1800?

Looks kind of homemade?

Where do I sign up?
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 10:19:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By FightingHellfish:
$1800?

Looks kind of homemade?

Where do I sign up?
View Quote

One lightly used Makasi went around $900 plus, tax, etc. recently.  New look to be around $1,400 on Gb.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 10:22:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By 10mmillie:
First I’ve heard of it. It looks a lot like my XCR but cheaper.
View Quote

Yeah, that’s the closest seeming to it of everything I own. My XCR has also run flawlessly with shitty ammo.

Link Posted: 5/4/2024 1:33:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Citizen904] [#5]

How my 16” Rifles compared:
Scar- great overall, addicting recoil impulse, expensive

Spear LT-if side charging might be Scar equal

Bren 2-does nothing poorly, great all around

XCR-ultra reliable, wish stock more intuitive, lefties might not like charging handle

Makasi-great all around, when used unbeatable bang for buck

MCX Gen 1-solid do everything gun at used prices, excellent balance

ARX100-super light, stiff controls when new, great value, most ambi, not 100% with underpowered .223 ammo

Galil Ace-ultra reliable, decent value, pointlessly heavy, would be amazing if 1.5 lbs lighter

Perun X16-excellent balance and overall weight, good ergos, rare, exotic aesthetics, great stock, okay reliability with cheap .223, expensive

Crusader Templar-blems a good value at $899, charging handle too pointy, not 100% with underpowered .223 ammo, too heavy (Gen 2’s are lighter)

556xi-some nostalgic Swiss styling elements, reliable with cheap .223 ammo, stock hard on the collar bone (personal placement), decent value if bought right ($1.0k), keymod dated, xi trim a must to swap charging handle sides

Carmel-seemed decent all around except mine was the most ammo sensitive gun in my collection - it hated / wouldn’t cycle underpowered .223, not the heaviest but could’ve stood to lose a lb

BRN180-okay reliability with cheap .223 ammo, charging handle not available on my preferred side, very light, great handling, good value when used

JAKL-pretty good all around except front heavy and the charging handle on my 13.7” was super hard to actuate at times, some stovepiping with cheap ammo, my JAKL pistol functioned better all around but was still front heavy.

LE Trade In Colt 6920-light, very reliable with cheap ammo (not sure at higher round counts), old school charging handle location, no folding stock, best non-piston cheap option though a used piston Makasi is very close for bang for buck

Cost factored in I’d probably grab a braced 11” Bren 2 pistol ahead of any of these for a go to option.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 9:44:52 PM EDT
[#6]
The website doesn't state it, but what type of bolt lock up does it use? I assume rotating bolt.

I already have ARs and an XCR. If spare parts are easily available for the Makasi, I could see myself picking one up.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 8:35:55 PM EDT
[#7]
I already have a Bren 2 but great writeup and fantastic collection. Now do medium caliber piston guns.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 2:53:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Moving to 1 Great 5.56 Option
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 8:52:20 PM EDT
[#9]
I know looks aren't everything, but damn that thing is ugly. But much like some of the women who have come into my life in my past, I still wouldn't say no to having one.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 12:44:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Brigade has a "budget" Makasi available on there website. It comes with a cheap A2 grip, no mbus sights and only one mag. It's on sale right now for $1176 shipped.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 4:33:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By ClickClickBoom1:
Brigade has a "budget" Makasi available on there website. It comes with a cheap A2 grip, no mbus sights and only one mag. It's on sale right now for $1176 shipped.
View Quote

That’s an insane deal. I’m moving some things out of the collection and will replace with multiples of the new Makasi pistols. Love this platform.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:34:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Unfortunately I don't think these are going to have staying power in the market.
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 2:56:23 AM EDT
[#13]
ARX has a higher throughput gas setting. Works fine with lower power ammo.
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 5:26:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Unfortunately I don't think these are going to have staying power in the market.
View Quote

Agree. It’s an exceptional platform. I’m going to scoop them up while they’re available.
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 9:27:00 PM EDT
[#15]
There is almost zero exposure on the Makasi. I know the Faxon ARAK is back but it was off the market for years and even with their latest production run there are less that 800 examples and that platform had a lot more media coverage.
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 5:39:25 AM EDT
[#16]
Interesting looking rifle never even heard of one before reading this post. Might grab one if I can find it cheap enough.
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 7:30:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: stiglitz_actual] [#17]
Originally Posted By AEnemaBay:
I know looks aren't everything, but damn that thing is ugly. But much like some of the women who have come into my life in my past, I still wouldn't say no to having one.
View Quote

agreed

not my thing, especially compared to others in the list, but if they can produce them and spare parts another US made offering is good
Link Posted: 5/23/2024 12:49:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Citizen904] [#18]
The current 20% off deal is pretty good. That’s $1,055 after discount for the 10.5” pistol version. I’ve got an order in. I’m hoping colors other than black don’t take longer to ship due to waiting on cerakoting.
Link Posted: 5/23/2024 4:06:23 PM EDT
[#19]
It doesn't look any worse than an AR-180, and looks way better than the crop of plastic wonder rifles- Bren, ACR, ARX, etc...

OP: What's the spare parts situation like?
Link Posted: 5/23/2024 4:31:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Citizen904:
The current 20% off deal is pretty good. That’s $1,055 after discount for the 10.5” pistol version. I’ve got an order in. I’m hoping colors other than black don’t take longer to ship due to waiting on cerakoting.
View Quote

I ordered my rifle on the 15th and is still showing "in production"

Link Posted: 5/23/2024 4:35:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ClickClickBoom1] [#21]
Originally Posted By lew:
It doesn't look any worse than an AR-180, and looks way better than the crop of plastic wonder rifles- Bren, ACR, ARX, etc...

OP: What's the spare parts situation like?
View Quote

The barrel, barrel nut, bolt, firing pin, fcg, safety and mag release are all AR-15.

The gas piston systems seems to share a lot with the BRN180 and recoil springs appear to be fairly common.
Link Posted: 5/24/2024 6:12:17 AM EDT
[#22]

View Quote

I ordered 3 yesterday morning and they moved the order to production by the afternoon. Sounds like it’s 2-3 weeks turnaround. I don’t need anymore but this current 20% off deal makes me want to get more.

Link Posted: 5/24/2024 4:28:34 PM EDT
[#23]
The barrel, barrel nut, bolt, firing pin, fcg, safety and mag release are all AR-15.

The gas piston systems seems to share a lot with the BRN180 and recoil springs appear to be daily common.
View Quote

That solves that. Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/24/2024 4:38:01 PM EDT
[#24]

I ordered 3 yesterday morning and they moved the order to production by the afternoon. Sounds like it’s 2-3 weeks turnaround. I don’t need anymore but this current 20% off deal makes me want to get more.

View Quote

If they make a .300 blackout pistol I'll buy another.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 12:25:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Citizen904] [#25]
I need to find a 1913 brace with a tall interface like the Bren braces. Until then it’ll be cobbled together with spare parts.

The idea of adding a $350 B&T or ACR stock/ adapter to an $1,100 rifle isn’t sitting right but they sure look pretty good.

multiple sign post
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:18:04 PM EDT
[#26]
I need to find a 1913 brace with a tall interface like the Bren braces. Until then it’ll be cobbled together with spare parts.

https://i.ibb.co/r7nDZzp/IMG-3916.jpg

The idea of adding a $350 B&T or ACR stock/ adapter to an $1,100 rifle isn’t sitting right but they sure look pretty good.
https://i.ibb.co/Jq4wnYt/IMG-3894.jpg
multiple sign post
View Quote

I have a B&T in FDE waiting for mine.
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 11:55:28 AM EDT
[#27]

I have a B&T in FDE waiting for mine.
View Quote

Nice. Post pics when you get it on?
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 3:00:02 PM EDT
[#28]
ARFcom makes it such a pain to post pictures. When they allow me to host them from Google I'll start posting pictures.

I can send whoever is willing to post the photos the pictures.

Link Posted: 5/27/2024 9:26:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Not interested because its a side charger.

Link Posted: 5/28/2024 5:26:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By ChickenDaddy:

View Quote

Most of the people who want an AR-15 alternative prefer the side charger.
Link Posted: 5/28/2024 8:08:15 PM EDT
[#31]

Most of the people who want an AR-15 alternative prefer the side charger.
View Quote

Yep, 100%.
Link Posted: 5/29/2024 4:06:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By ChickenDaddy:
View Quote

You are certainly in a very small minority. While I'm not going to complain about my ARs with the standard-type charging handle, side chargers are far superior.
Link Posted: 5/29/2024 6:05:30 PM EDT
[#33]
Some Makasi 10.5” screen grabs…
Link Posted: 5/30/2024 12:06:06 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By lew:

You are certainly in a very small minority. While I'm not going to complain about my ARs with the standard-type charging handle, side chargers are far superior.
View Quote

Not when it comes to readily sealing dirt out of your rifle.
Link Posted: 5/30/2024 1:46:04 PM EDT
[#35]
The charging handle on the Makasi and the Robinson Arms XCR are sealed. The BRN 180 appears to be somewhat open to the elements.
Link Posted: 5/30/2024 7:01:44 PM EDT
[#36]
The charging handle on the Makasi and the Robinson Arms XCR are sealed. The BRN 180 appears to be somewhat open to the elements.
View Quote

Exactly. The FAL's had that charging handle arrangement for over sixty years. No one to my knowledge has complained about that being an ingress point for dirt.
Link Posted: 5/30/2024 9:32:07 PM EDT
[#37]
My Dan Haga B&T stock arrived today. It appears to clamp on without a cross bolt so I'll be able to align it just where I want it.

I'm still waiting for my Makasi to be shipped. It was ordered on the 15th of this month.
Link Posted: 6/1/2024 1:25:11 PM EDT
[#38]

View Quote

Has your ‘production’ status changed on your order? I ordered mine about a week later and I’m hoping to see it switch over to shipping soon.
Link Posted: 6/1/2024 2:52:03 PM EDT
[#39]
My status still says production.
Link Posted: 6/1/2024 6:36:37 PM EDT
[#40]
My status still says production.
View Quote

Cool. Hopefully a shipped notice hits soon.  I’m curious to check out the pistol version.
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 4:54:36 AM EDT
[#41]
Neat guns for sure and nice to see another American company. I’m a fan of the FAL.
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 8:20:53 AM EDT
[#42]

The gas piston systems seems to share a lot with the BRN180 and recoil springs appear to be fairly common.
View Quote

If that much of it is AR, then what is FAL?
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 9:58:47 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Jeeps-And-Guns:

If that much of it is AR, then what is FAL?
View Quote

It looks like the rear takedown lever design and the side cocking handle are FAL inspired.
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 10:12:06 AM EDT
[#44]
Not much is FAL.

Ys more of a AR180 that takes AR15 parts and looks sort of like a FAL.
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 11:08:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JoshNC] [#45]
Not much is FAL.

Ys more of a AR180 that takes AR15 parts and looks sort of like a FAL.
View Quote

Not really an AR180 either. It has a truncated AR15 bolt carrier. It’s an AR15 iteration with some bizarre other features. An external piston does not make an AR180.
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 1:08:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ClickClickBoom1] [#46]
The piston system is a pretty close copy to the BRN180 and the original AR18.

I have a Makasi on the way and from the little that is out there they appear to be well made and reliable so far.

If I was looking for a true AR-15 alternative it would be the BREN 2, SCAR and XCR in no particular order. My personal preference is the XCR it's been on the market for 18 years.
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 1:28:34 PM EDT
[#47]
The piston system is a pretty close copy to the BRN180 and the original AR18.

I have a Makasi on the way and from the little that is out there they appear to be well made and reliable so far.

If I was looking for a true AR-15 alternative it would be the BREN 2, SCAR and XCR in no particular order. My person preference is the XCR it's been on the market for 18 years.
View Quote

The BREN 2, SCAR and XCR are all great rifles. I sold one of each in the last month out of my collection because the Makasi isn’t delivering much less and it’s available starting at $1,055 under the current promotion. In a world where that good of a gun is available that cheap, it’s tough to justify the $2k+ rifles.
Link Posted: 6/5/2024 3:00:12 PM EDT
[#48]
I just got the Shipping notification for my Makasi rifle. It was three weeks and one day from order to ship.
Link Posted: 6/5/2024 6:40:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Citizen904] [#49]
I just got the Shipping notification for my Makasi rifle. It was three weeks and one day from order to ship.
View Quote

Nice! Post pics when you get it? Sounds like I won’t be seeing mine move to shipping until around the 14th. I’m starting to get antsy to see how these pistols are gonna turn out.

Top Top