Caliber: 5.56x45mm NATO/.223 Rem
Magazine: 30-round detachable box magazine
Action: Semi-auto short-stroke gas piston system with rotating bolt
Barrel: Cold hammer-forged, chrome-lined, with ported muzzle brake
Controls: Left-side charging handle, ambidextrous controls
Ejection: Unique forward-firing system
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 4:10:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Comedic relief means I won't even attempt to watch this one.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 5:51:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Currently out of production, but great military gun?  Seems like a contradiction.  Think only Saudi Arabia and a couple of Belgian units used it.  I have one, and think it’s interesting, but wouldn’t consider it great by any means.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 8:55:05 PM EDT
[#3]
7.6 lbs for the FS2000 tactical.

About 20 years ago I played around with an airsoft version.

It was not as bulky as people said it was at the time.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 10:53:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Very cool rifles as a reference piece. I have one and like it. It’s not something that gets shot because spares are costly and depending upon the part, scarce.

It’s neat as a reference piece to AUG fans and SCAR fans.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:38:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Monty Python - The Fish Slapping Dance
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:07:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: lazyengineer] [#6]
Watching him screwing with the jammed up ejector flap trap door was not a big endorsement.  His very fear that the curious system was going to be a source of problems, became a big gun going down for a good bit, problem.  Though it wasn't the chute that was the issue, but the mechanical system under the flap, that was the problem, a casing went the wrong place, and jammed up the entire thing.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:09:41 AM EDT
[#7]
I have had one since new, competed with it, ran courses with it, and it is enigmatic. It's accurate, reliable, compact, durable, and with practice, is competitive. The weight is odd in a "the scales have to be lying, this thing ain't that heavy" kind of way.

Nothing in the vid is wrong, and yes, the stock muzzle brake is loud AF, but the tuna and trout schtick gets old.

Mine doesn't like 75 and 77 grain ammo, it likes the 68/69 grain loads much more. And when people clear it at matches they have the habit of either twisting the charging handle, breaking the latching bit, or breaking the latching bit with a super hard HK slap.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:16:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By lazyengineer:
Watching him screwing with the jammed up ejector flap trap door was not a big endorsement.
View Quote

After thousands of rounds through mine doing all sorts of crazy stuff with it, it has never happened to me.

The only thing I could think of is pulling the handle back on a loaded chamber rather than racking it, and lifting the toilet seat and sticking a big pudgy finger in there to dislodge the round from the elevator switch. Which is just like putting your finger into the ejection port of an AR before the round ejects and releasing the bolt. It's not something you do by accident.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 1:38:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By homeyclaus: It's... compact...
View Quote

Didn't see that one coming
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 2:37:35 PM EDT
[#10]
My mid-5xxx serial FS2000 as configured at the moment...
Attachment Attached File

A very old picture of the upper receiver disassembled after I had the stock muzzle device removed and barrel rethreaded...
Attachment Attached File

I've always liked the FS2000.  The operating system is pretty funky but I've never had any issues with it.  I also try to avoid sticking my finger in the chamber and fucking around with it unnecessarily.  

The trigger isn't that bad, though mine is "gen 2" era so I don't know if FN made it worse in later versions.  Dare I say, better than a stock AUG trigger maybe?  Kinda tired of the universal comparison being a gucci AR trigger.  Yes, everything sucks compared to those.  If that's all you can think of, you'll never enjoy anything else.

Never really intended to buy one of them, when I called Tanner Sport Shop to put money down on the PS90 preorder, they said they still had some of these FS2000 things unspoken for.  I was young, dumb, early in my career, and single, so I said sure.  It was a great dumb choice.  
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 6:31:31 PM EDT
[#11]
I love my FS2000, highly underrated gun IMHO.

I also think it's an incomplete thought. Part of the reason it's so bulky is it was originally going to host a central battery in the stock for a range finding integrated scope and smart grenade launcher. As far as I know none of that got beyond the prototype stage. I really wish FN would develop a 2nd generation F2000 that continues to evolve the design (and add a last round bolt hold open).
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 5:55:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Armed_Scientist:
I love my FS2000, highly underrated gun IMHO.

I also think it's an incomplete thought. Part of the reason it's so bulky is it was originally going to host a central battery in the stock for a range finding integrated scope and smart grenade launcher. As far as I know none of that got beyond the prototype stage. I really wish FN would develop a 2nd generation F2000 that continues to evolve the design (and add a last round bolt hold open).
View Quote

+1

It's honestly not even that bulky.

The ergos are really good for what it is.

Link Posted: 5/9/2024 7:13:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By SpacemanSpiff:

+1

It's honestly not even that bulky.

The ergos are really good for what it is.

View Quote

Compared to the Rfb(308)..the Fs2000 looks like it caught the freshman 15..
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 7:30:00 PM EDT
[#14]
I believe he might be a little jaded on bull pups. The ergos are not bad. If it weighs 7.9 pounds or whatever it doesn't feel like it. I've had that jam in the video before and it was a bear to get unstuck. However I still really like mine and will never sell it.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 10:15:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KitBuilder] [#15]
I think these are both right around 8 pounds. I need to get a good scale.

Attachment Attached File

The F2000 has decent ergonomics. The mag changes take a little getting used to, mainly due to the gasket situation. Some people rip those gaskets out, but I think it's smart that FN added them. It's limited to old school USGI profile mags though (which doesn't bother me either).

Overall I prefer the AUG A3 because I like the A3 bolt release and it makes reloading very fast, comparable to an AR. The F2000 doesn't have that going for it.
After a bunch of practice, I can use a full mag to release the empty mag from my AUG, but that cannot be done with the F2000.

I also prefer the AUG's pistol grip and VFG. I'd like to find one of the plain factory plastic handguards (F482800030) for this F2000, but they seem to be unobtanium. I got one of the FN aluminum fore-end rails before they dried up. What I should've gotten was the factory grenade launcher.
It's pretty slick how it just replaces the handguard.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 7:25:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By lazyengineer:
Watching him screwing with the jammed up ejector flap trap door was not a big endorsement.  His very fear that the curious system was going to be a source of problems, became a big gun going down for a good bit, problem.  Though it wasn't the chute that was the issue, but the mechanical system under the flap, that was the problem, a casing went the wrong place, and jammed up the entire thing.
View Quote

Biggest POS gun I’ve ever owned.

The ‘lifter’ under the toilet seat broke, the charging handle broke, the front sight post was too short and fell off, the barrel loosened in the receiver, and to top it off it wasn’t even 100 percent reliable
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 3:21:27 PM EDT
[#17]
I had an early one and put a few 1000 rds through it. It for the most part ate what ever I fed it, but did have a number of malfunctions that were spent cases jammed up into the receiver. When that happened the gun was shut down indefinitely until it you could get in there and get it out, and the lifter could do its thing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top