Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/1/2022 5:00:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DOG556]
Any ideas to add some weight to the rail on a pistol. Even the heaviest lights are still pretty light. I was thinking maybe pour lead into the shell of a weapon light? I’m sure some company makes some type of weapon weight

Found this

https://stores.sjcguns.com/sjc-glock-frame-weight/
Link Posted: 3/1/2022 5:32:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/1/2022 5:40:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By reelserious:
here you go
View Quote

Yup that’s heaviest. Then do a heavy frame. Lighten the slide and springs. Gas pedal. Comp if your division allows it.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 6:17:04 PM EDT
[#3]
I wish that was all black
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 6:45:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Taylor Freelance has Brass backstraps for a lot of model of pistols.

They also sell them in different colors and if black really are not noticeable unless you pick up the pistol or tap on the backstrap.

Brass is illegal in some classes but aluminum is ok, which they make too.

Taylor Freelance
Link Posted: 3/5/2022 9:07:42 PM EDT
[#5]
https://w74guiderods.com/product/cr123a-tungsten-battery-2-pack/

I’d say a lot of people already have a weapon light and holster for their pistol already. Just add these battery. My TLR-1HL weighs 10 ozs with them, so 3 ozs more than the lok brass WML, while using equipment I already have. Light works, just with a reduced output.
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 7:16:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Why?
Is heavier better?  Are you sure?
Link Posted: 3/18/2022 12:07:03 PM EDT
[#7]
USPSA introduced flashlight allowance into Production/ Carry optics divisions.  No one at a high level has started using them for added weight.  Lok even came out with a brass flashlight that is really heavy.  No one is using it either.  I would recommend working on technique rather than trying to buy skill.
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 7:06:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By DernHumpus:
USPSA introduced flashlight allowance into Production/ Carry optics divisions.  No one at a high level has started using them for added weight.  Lok even came out with a brass flashlight that is really heavy.  No one is using it either.  I would recommend working on technique rather than trying to buy skill.
View Quote
Most of them are already shooting heavy ass guns aside from the occasional Glock.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 7:37:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Superluckycat:
Most of them are already shooting heavy ass guns aside from the occasional Glock.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Superluckycat:
Lots of guys still highly competitive with factory weight polymer guns.  If you came to my club match and made some statement that I am beating you because I shoot a Shadow 2, I would make a point to come back next month with a P10.

I guess my point is that heavy guns aren't necessary and they do have their drawbacks.  They're harder to draw quickly and transition with precision than a lighter gun.
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 8:53:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: txice] [#10]
Originally Posted By DOG556:
Any ideas to add some weight to the rail on a pistol. Even the heaviest lights are still pretty light. I was thinking maybe pour lead into the shell of a weapon light? I’m sure some company makes some type of weapon weight

Found this

https://stores.sjcguns.com/sjc-glock-frame-weight/
View Quote

Here's what I did. I bought a cheap Chicom X300 knockoff. I filled the battery compartment with tungsten weights and the front light housing with tungsten putty.   It's so heavy it's ridiculous. So heavy in fact that I'm a little nervous it will eventually damage the polymer rails under repeated recoil. I gotta weigh this thing one day. I havent really used it much on the range.  It was more of a project to see how it would turn out.  It turned out "good".  Way heavier than I thought.  The other guy is right though, it's so heavy that transitioning between targets is slower and you have the tendency to swing past.  Tough to stop this heavy mofo.  I guess it has pros and cons.
Link Posted: 4/22/2022 1:44:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Lots of guys still highly competitive with factory weight polymer guns.  If you came to my club match and made some statement that I am beating you because I shoot a Shadow 2, I would make a point to come back next month with a P10.

I guess my point is that heavy guns aren't necessary and they do have their drawbacks.  They're harder to draw quickly and transition with precision than a lighter gun.
View Quote
I've shot enough to know it's never the gun.
Link Posted: 9/13/2023 10:23:41 PM EDT
[#12]
I added the Taylor Freelance weight kit to my Canik TP9sfx and love it. I think I like the balance more than just the added weight. Full mags and weighted mag bases are nice too.
Link Posted: 11/7/2023 1:40:11 PM EDT
[#13]
My friend did the lead shot in the front of his weaponlight, light still functioned too.  He was running a G34 at the time.  He eventually took it off though as he was fine either way.  As others have said, the weight of the gun is less important the higher up you go.

My setup for 2024 will be the EAA/Girsan Regard and it's around a 35 oz. gun.  I'd be more concerned with the balance of the gun and how predictably it returns to point of aim from recoil.
Link Posted: 11/9/2023 4:50:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Too heavy is possible. Too light is a pain. I prefer something in the 40 to 45 ounce range but balance is also very important. An X5 Legion or Shadow 2 is about right for me and there is no need to add more crap.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top