Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/7/2022 10:31:09 AM EDT
As the question asks, is 3 gun  or multi-gun losing popularity or feeling the effects of gas and ammo prices?  I don't hear of many ranges still offering a 3g program any more
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 10:47:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: reelserious] [#1]
ammo prices are killing everything. attendance  down 50% in my area.
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 12:34:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes.  I think we are down 30-40% up here.  Ammo availability and cost are the problem I think.  COVID to a lesser extent.  We are starting to see new shooters show up though.
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 12:49:43 PM EDT
[#3]
most of the guys that handload are still there, the guys that buy their ammo......gone
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 12:52:37 PM EDT
[#4]
I used to be pretty involved in local matches and even some National matches — however I won’t be doing any competitions this year. The cost to travel and supply ammo is prohibitive, lots of folks I talk too have said the same.
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 12:53:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Y'all lucky it's just ammo prices killing your 3gun.

Here, it's being legislated away through gun bans.

I fear my 3 gunning days are over.

Link Posted: 6/13/2022 4:16:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Girlieman:
Y'all lucky it's just ammo prices killing your 3gun.

Here, it's being legislated away through gun bans.

I fear my 3 gunning days are over.

View Quote

Get your airsoft guns to practice with before they ban those too.
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 6:59:35 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't know about three gun but run and gun competitions sell out as soon as registration opens.  Legion sold out in under a minute.  Both the 5k and 10k.  People drive to TN from all over the country.  R&G has been steadily growing even with the shit economy.
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 11:45:44 AM EDT
[#8]
I used to shoot 3 Gun back between 2008 and 2012 ish....I think.    After Obama, ammo sky rocketed and my days of 1000 round orders stopped.

On a whim, I decided to start browsing around on FB and google to see if there's still any matches within a couple/few hours away.  

NOTHING.  

WOW......3 Gun Nation no longer exists, most of the surrounding areas shut their websites down, can't even find anything for Rockcastle.  

Dang.

I guess my competition gear is about useless now.    My Glock and AR can be made practical, but my competition shotgun is kinda useless aside from just shooting clays.   Shell speedloaders, belts, etc.......all probably worth nothing now.

What a shame.  

I still don't have much interested in getting back into the sport as long as ammo is this insane.   However, I'm also a professional photographer and would love to find some events to cover for fun and/or possibly as work.
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 10:33:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By ktmexperiment:
I used to shoot 3 Gun back between 2008 and 2012 ish....I think.    After Obama, ammo sky rocketed and my days of 1000 round orders stopped.

On a whim, I decided to start browsing around on FB and google to see if there's still any matches within a couple/few hours away.  

NOTHING.  

WOW......3 Gun Nation no longer exists, most of the surrounding areas shut their websites down, can't even find anything for Rockcastle.  

Dang.

I guess my competition gear is about useless now.    My Glock and AR can be made practical, but my competition shotgun is kinda useless aside from just shooting clays.   Shell speedloaders, belts, etc.......all probably worth nothing now.

What a shame.  

I still don't have much interested in getting back into the sport as long as ammo is this insane.   However, I'm also a professional photographer and would love to find some events to cover for fun and/or possibly as work.
View Quote

Rockcastle shut down a good while back.

Our club still has the occaisional 3 gun event but not every month like they used to.
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 5:44:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Multigun is still very popular in the Phoenix area....  we still have 3 matches a month here

2 are 2/3 gun and one is just 2gun..... and are usually sold out
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 6:34:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Rockcastle was split up and sold off a couple of years ago, most of the property was bought by a developer.
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 7:40:56 PM EDT
[#12]
There are so many financial factors that are making it more and more difficult to continue to compete...individually, the costs aren't all the great, but when they are all added up, it becomes clear that shooting and competing is getting really expensive.

gun club membership.
gas to drive to the club to practice.
ammo to practice with.
buying reloading supplies.
buying match ammo unless you shoot reloads for big matches.
match fees.
travel costs (meals, fuel, hotel) for bigger matches.
match entry fees.
maintaining equipment so it is possible to remain competitive, rather than struggling to do well with outdated or worn out equipment.
buying gun cleaning, lubricating materials in order to maintain gear.

As time goes on, newer equipment that helps improve scores is invented.  The choices are to buy the newer equipment, or to accept lower scores by shooting with outdated equipment that handicaps the shooter.

occasional shooting isn't too expensive, but doing regular practice so one can remain competitive does get expensive.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 2:06:41 AM EDT
[#13]
It doesn't help that there isn't a universal rules set.  

3GN is gone.  

UML is suffering from really poor leadership and very poor attendance.  Surefire World Nationals was last month, and it drew eight shooters.  Eight.  https://practiscore.com/results/new/175247

I've heard good things about PCSL, but haven't looked into it too much.

Link Posted: 8/15/2022 4:24:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By xdoctor:
Surefire World Nationals was last month, and it drew eight shooters.  Eight.  https://practiscore.com/results/new/175247
View Quote

I doubt they would have had a major match with only 8 shooters.  That is only the 2 gun division you are looking at.  

They had 62 combined shooters. Still not much for a major, but more than 8.   We had 45 shooters at our local match here on Saturday.  It is picking up a little.
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 4:49:53 PM EDT
[#15]
We lost a pretty big venue for 3gun/multi gun in the North Texas area a few years back. There are other matches held around the area, but they seem few and far between.

I'm sticking to run and gun matches for the time being to get my fix.
Link Posted: 8/30/2022 10:56:26 AM EDT
[#16]
I help setup a local match and it's the only one I shoot anymore, I just don't have the extra money to throw at 3-Gun and that seems to be the case with most. Our matches are down over 50%.

I also run our private club matches which is mostly rimfire and even those are down 50% since covid, people just aren't shooting much anymore.
Link Posted: 9/15/2022 2:58:25 PM EDT
[#17]
There's not much in the south east.  They even cancelled Benning this year.
Link Posted: 9/15/2022 3:12:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Girlieman] [#18]
It's a bad time to get into what can be a spendy game and I think a lot of us who were/are willing/able to afford it are aging out...
I know personally... I'm getting tired of carrying/managing three guns and upwards of 5 types of ammo(pistol, rifle, birdshot, buck and slugs).
Shooting a 1gun match is easy by comparison... Lol.

But man... what a time I've had.
Shot 'Benning 2x
BlueRidge 3gun prolly 8 or 9 times plus a few other matches at Rock Castle...
Peacemaker a couple times...
Did the rocky mtn. World shoot at Wittington in NM...
Countless other multi gun matches at clubs all over the eastern US...

I did get my ATF Form6NIA For 2022, but... havent shot any US matches yet

Link Posted: 10/26/2022 2:37:16 PM EDT
[#19]
It's really died around here from what I've heard, I stopped shooting it several years ago.  Just too much shit to worry about and I never really liked shotgun.

My home club has 2 gun matches twice a year and I really like those.  If more clubs offered these regularly around here I'd drop some USPSA/Steel Challenge matches in favor of them.  I love shooting rifles on the move and not on a static range...hence why I almost exclusively shoot PCC in USPSA.
Link Posted: 11/10/2022 5:41:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Far less matches and far less people going in my area.

Prices of ammo, prices and availability of components, COVID throwing a wrench in stuff for events, the overall economy, fuel prices, etc.

A decade ago I could buy a hundred rounds of 9mm brass for about 20 bucks, a hundred rounds of birdshot for 20 bucks, and a hundred rounds of 5.56 for about 30 bucks.  Maybe less.  And reload for about half that.

There were about four places to do or three gun matches within an hour.  Half a dozen for pistol. Two were less than half an hour.
If we wanted to go further for something cooler, a drive a couple of hours away, eat out, hotel room, eat out, gatorades/snacks, ammo, match, eat out on way home-
Are now proportionally twice as much to take one of the kids to a match.
Link Posted: 11/10/2022 5:54:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Far less matches and far less people going in my area.

Prices of ammo, prices and availability of components, COVID throwing a wrench in stuff for events, the overall economy, fuel prices, etc.

A decade ago I could buy a hundred rounds of 9mm brass for about 20 bucks, a hundred rounds of birdshot for 20 bucks, and a hundred rounds of 5.56 for about 30 bucks.  Maybe less.  And reload for about half that.

There were about four places to do or three gun matches within an hour.  Half a dozen for pistol. Two were less than half an hour.
If we wanted to go further for something cooler, a drive a couple of hours away, eat out, hotel room, eat out, gatorades/snacks, ammo, match, eat out on way home-
Are now proportionally twice as much to take one of the kids to a match.

Plus-well-at least for USPSA pistol-
A decade ago over half the people would be shooting production.  Another 20 percent limited and another 20 single stack.
Single digit percent people would be shooting optics / open.
There might be a stage with some killer shots to make and another stage will a ball crusher design.

Life has other priorities and
I had stopped going a little before CO was coming out.
CO was supposed to be production with a slide mounted optic.

I started going back after a break about a year and a half ago.
It has ended up being expensive/modified guns production guns, expensive mag bases, etc.
I could go to a match and count on one hand the number of guys shooting production, SS, or even limited.

And..
At least the two places left under an hour from me,
The stages are way more oriented for 140 and 170mm mag guns getting through with no or one reload, farther/harder shots with optics, and designs more complicated and purposefully set up to come close to breaking the 180, having an Easter egg hunt to find targets, set ups to trip you up on a failure to engage, white no shoots near movers, etc.

Which is fantastic I guess if you are shooting a high capacity optic gun and a class in the top 10-15th percentiles.  And a serious dedicated practice and compete kind of guy.

Way less fun and amenable to new shooters, hobby shooters, low A and under type shooters.

Link Posted: 11/27/2022 7:55:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: j3_] [#22]
Two and three gun matches were regular at my gun club for a few years. There were also multiple instructor classes coming in and being held at our gun club at the same time period. A couple of people also made an effort and put on some matches at a local military base and another fairly local club during the same time period. I don't attribute the current lack of matches at these locations now to anything other than the guys that worked hard and put them on moved or moved on and no one stepped into their shoes. I shot the one and only tactical rifle match they had at my club yesterday. They mentioned having four a year with a couple maybe being two gun. That is what I heard last year at the one and only I know of they had that year. I miss shooting these type matches one or twice a month.
Link Posted: 7/5/2023 5:14:07 PM EDT
[#23]
I think I’m seeing more 2 and 3 gun matches open up. It depends on where you are at. I think 2gun will be more popular because people are scared to learn how to load and compete with a shotgun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top