User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 10:47:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By _DR:

All the local Academy Sports here still sell 30 round PMags for 223 and 7.62x39, Hexmags and MFT 30s too.

Might just be your local management.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SuperX925:
Sales guy lied.

Academy doesn’t sell mags that have a capacity higher than 20 rounds, and they haven’t for at least two years.

No AR’s for the same reasons.

They got smacked hard after one of the mass shootings.

All the local Academy Sports here still sell 30 round PMags for 223 and 7.62x39, Hexmags and MFT 30s too.

I haven't been in a couple months. I may go check it out. First I've heard of anything like that.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 10:49:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By naes:

Take a close look at those 30 round mags next time you go.  

The ones in the TX stores are 30 round bodies limited to 20 rounds.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MedmanKS:

Same. Prices are a little high for something you can get online easily, but they have them. Bass Pro, too.

Take a close look at those 30 round mags next time you go.  

The ones in the TX stores are 30 round bodies limited to 20 rounds.

What?
I'm making a special trip tomorrow to check it out.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 10:50:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Never bought from them. Now I have a better reason.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 11:26:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 11:29:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Going the way of dicks is never good
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:27:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Spearweasel:
It is a great place to get shitty Chinese ______________________.
View Quote

The issue is that they don't offer anything over Amazon. They no longer have knowledgeable employees working in different departments.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:35:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By watgar:
Going the way of dicks is never good
View Quote

I'm gonna ruffle some feathers here...

All of the Dicks Sporting Goods around here, are 10x better than any Academy. They're all 2-stories with massive selections for every sport. They're all well-staffed with people asking to help, too.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:39:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Other than an occasional panic situation, there is no money to be made in guns, ammo and most weapon accessories.

Simply put, stores make far more money per square foot, with much less hassle and liability, by selling stuff other than firearms.

That is the real reason big box stores are getting out of the market.

Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:40:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By raider00:
I thought they just sold Jordons to hoodrats.
View Quote

I have never seen a pair of Jordans at academy.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:42:24 AM EDT
[#10]

View All Quotes
Sales guy lied.

Academy doesn’t sell mags that have a capacity higher than 20 rounds, and they haven’t for at least two years.

Hell, Academy in Austin has 30 round P-mags and 25round .22 mags. Pretty sure I saw an AR on the shelf last time I was at one.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:43:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By SoonerBorn:
Dicks went in hard on their customer base and ended up flopping.  Academy is a much slower pounding.
View Quote

Uh, phrasing!
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:52:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Linvx:
Other than an occasional panic situation, there is no money to be made in guns, ammo and most weapon accessories.

Simply put, stores make far more money per square foot, with much less hassle and liability, by selling stuff other than firearms.

View Quote

Truth.  Look at the places that are really making money.  They generally fit in two categories: (1) places like PSA, Primary Arms, etc. that are mainly warehouse logistics facilities which pump high numbers and (2) gun shops with ranges, which rely on the range to make money.

Link Posted: 5/14/2024 12:01:34 PM EDT
[#13]
New band name:  "The Way of Dicks"
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 12:05:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By ag04blast:

Truth.  Look at the places that are really making money.  They generally fit in two categories: (1) places like PSA, Primary Arms, etc. that are mainly warehouse logistics facilities which pump high numbers and (2) gun shops with ranges, which rely on the range to make money.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ag04blast:
Originally Posted By Linvx:

I think Academy could dominate the gun market if they decided to. The advantage they have is millions of dollars to spend on a website, and the ability to ship any gun to any store.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 12:09:59 PM EDT
[#15]
I'd like to see a current picture of a 30 round mag being sold at academy. Sutherland Springs fucked them.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 4:09:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By skink:
I'd like to see a current picture of a 30 round mag being sold at academy. Sutherland Springs fucked them.
View Quote

Agreed.  
I’m calling shenanigans.

Post pics boys.
I’d really like to see a photo of the claimed AR for sale in the Austin store.  

Link Posted: 5/14/2024 4:19:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By 917-30:

Bardstown, or do they have other locations?

I did some work at St. Joseph's school in Bardstown and checked out the KGC while I was there. Big store. Nice town too.
View Quote

There is a store in Louisville off the Gene Snyder (I265).
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 4:22:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By FIRE1:
I'm starting to wonder how long Academy will last at all. It sure sucks now compared to before it was sold. It is just a glorified clothing retail store now that only makes a half-assed attempt at stocking any actual sporting goods. Inventory is way down on all of the hunting and fishing stuff last time I was in there.Fucking bean counters are driving it into the ground.
View Quote

I have the same opinion. The store has become crap if you want anything other than clothing.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 4:25:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Our Academy’s gun section has been shit ever since Covid.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 5:51:51 PM EDT
[#20]

View Quote

Im in clarksville TN, we have one here, there is one in Nashville tn, and one in murfreesboro, and i believe smyrna TN, none sell over 30rd cap mags. and they are over priced when it comes to ammo. i have gotten there shorty 20rd ak mags before because they used to be $12-13 a piece a while back and i actually like the 20rd for both the AK/AR platform especially for self defense ammo.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 6:03:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By konger:

Hunting needs to be a constitutional right. Some states have written the right to hunt into their constitution in recent years. I believe without hunting, the 2nd will be abolished.
View Quote

That would mean admitting that you need to ask government wether state, local or federal, for permission to do so. we the people have to stop asking for permission from our government officials who work for us. Until this whole issue of who is incharge becomes crystal clear, nothing will change.

The 2nd amendment isn't there for you to be able to hunt or even go to the range and dump ammo. It's their so you can tell your government "no", so you can tell your government that they don't get to decide what you can and cant do, and that when they want to try and negotiate away your rights to firearm ownership, that you have the right to shoot the in the face and walk away.

The only correct way to negotiate with someone who wants to take your rights away is to walk up to that negotiation table, and shoot them, make it perfectly clear there is no negotiation. Because when you d=sit down at that table, even without saying anything, you have already signalled to the initiators that you are willing to negotiate even if you don't think you are, because you already started off by taking the easier path, and thus will likely continue to do so.

WE have to start saying "NO", don't ask, don't plead, don't haggle, Just no. if more and more people started doing that and even were willing to show and do the hard things, then wed get farther then we ever would in the broken courts or legislature system that is currently set up to wear the people down slowly and demoralize us ultimately so that we eventually lose the will to keep resisting without ever even firing a shot.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 6:05:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Mr_Nasty99:

Academy's are the last of the depressing department store era.

I don't understand how they're still around. My only guess is that little league sports keep enough foot traffic heading their way.
View Quote

Hopefully rural king doesn't follow suit, not sure how many there are through out the country, but I do like them alot more then academy.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 6:37:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By elgin25:

Hopefully rural king doesn't follow suit, not sure how many there are through out the country, but I do like them alot more then academy.
View Quote

Same with Scheels. Good Christian business. Suppressors, switch blades, ARs, animal traps, bulk ammo. Best memory was having a high school girl walk out my CZ Scorpion to the door and giving me a free tee shirt. Assault weapons are no big deal up here at Scheels.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 10:10:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JohnnyLoco] [#24]
They’re a good general sporting goods store, I can find a lot of stuff there I need that’s decently priced. I talked to guys at my local one’s gun counter, many of them veterans, they got hit hard in the Sutherland Springs lawsuits. The antigunners tried to hang them on the fact the dirtbag used a Colorado license for a gun with a 30 rd mag. Thankfully Academy won.

They stopped selling ARs a while back but never really had that good of a selection. The mag thing is dumb, but sometimes I buy 20 round mags anyway and of course it doesn’t affect ar-10 mags.

They also have good deals on pistols, usually have sales, I picked up a Lipseys Glock 17 gen 1 reissue marked down to around $350.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 10:12:40 PM EDT
[#25]

View All Quotes
Sales guy lied.

This.

Every academy in Texas has sold 30 rounders since I can remember. I worked their during undergrad.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 10:24:45 PM EDT
[#26]
This is long game gun control

Happening slowly in front of our eyes.

Systematically eliminating all the major players and taking the hobby/normalcy of having/shooting guns away from the eyes of younger consumers.  

Walmart was the first big domino

It’ll only continue and get worse.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 10:29:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Academy stores in GA are pretty good in my opinion.  Might not appeal to a lot of folks on here, because they are more hunting focused when it comes to guns vs tactical / AR / gamer gun stuff.  

Heavy on hunting stuff: camo, deer stands, feeders, calls, knives hunting ammo and hunting style scopes and reloading components.
Fishing and boating / kayaking stuff is good.
I buy their Magellan store brand clothing rather than Levis, NorthFace, Columbia and the other openly anti-2A clothing manufacturers.

They have decent pricing and good availability on rimfire ammo and bulk 9mm.  

They are definitely queen of the pigs of of big box stores and it's not even close.  

I bought a .22mag semi auto rifle a few months ago (had a bunch of gift cards)  and their gun sale process is slow and tedious, but it's defense against the current climate of lawfare.  

I stop by fairly often just to see what fishing tackle they have on clearance.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 10:46:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Amped] [#28]

Agreed.  
I’m calling shenanigans.

Post pics boys.
I’d really like to see a photo of the claimed AR for sale in the Austin store.  

View Quote

30 rounds not listed on the site but sold in my local store
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:00:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Thank God for Fin Feather Fur, Vance Outdoors and Rural King.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:04:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By green_bullet:
Went to my local Academy today. Almost no rifle mags. Sales guy said Academy is no longer selling any magazine with higher than 20rds. No ARs either.

Oh well. KYGun Co is up the road and has better pricing and selection.

Wont shop at Academy on principle now
View Quote

Thats terrible news.  Academy has always been great
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:05:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tsg68] [#31]
Originally Posted By AJ_Dual:
The sporting goods outfitters all do this eventually.

L.L. Bean, Abercrombie & Fitch, Eddie Bauer, Orvis... they all got out of hunting, fishing, and camping gear long ago. Or, they have a pittance of it for nostalgic branding reasons.

Selling outdoorsy lifestyle fashions, and then in the case of Abercrombie, not even "outdoorsy" at all, where you could get domestic sweatshop clothes and sell them at enormous profit margins... that's where the money was.

And once the sweatshops went to SE Asia? Katy bar the door.

And that mostly happened wayyy before the whole RKBA & Culture-War polarization over firearms got going. Places like Academy & Dicks are just late to the party.

Even Bass Pro & Cabela's... you're naive if you think the guns & fishing rods, or the fish aquariums & taxidermy mounts... are anything but loss-leader attractions to get your ass in the store to buy the Chinese or Bangladesh-made 5.11 pants and whatnot that's FRONT AND CENTER. And because they're captive to the branding, and can't figure out how to divest all the low-margin high cost stuff.

And the clothing & shoe section at Bass Pro & Cabela's gets just a smidgen bigger every year...

The likes of Dicks & Academy, they've just got urban/suburban baseball, softball, soccer, golf, disc golf, jogging, & yoga to fall back on, all more clothing & footwear heavy.

If you want a gun, go to a gun store. They're on "our side"... somewhat, sometimes...

View Quote

A&F and Eddie Bauer both sold their brand names to clothing retailers.

Dicks caved to the owner’s douchiness and Sports Authority was harrassed into it.

Most people don’t even understand that big box stores have to employ an FFL at every location that sells guns and that individual is responsible for all transfers it goes on their license.  Local law enforcement and FBATF love to harrass and sow doubt with the FFL’s working these stores in anti-gun jurisdictions and hope they quit or their bosses shut the gun counters down….often the stores attorneys will advise them to ditch guns altogether to avoid the harassment and liability.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:09:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Lifestyle leisure clothing brands, brah! Have you seen the new Fabletics? To die for!!!

Link Posted: 5/16/2024 2:48:24 PM EDT
[#33]
Straight from Academy customer service:

Thank you for contacting Academy Sports + Outdoors.  Our ultimate goal is for all our customers to be satisfied with their purchases.  This email is in response to the email you sent regarding if academy still sells  AR 15 type rifles and magazines over 20 rounds at any of its' stores.  At this time we do not , but we have different firearm  on our website  and in stores you could choose from.  So sorry  for the inconvenience.

Please feel free to contact us at 888 922-2336 if you have additional questions.

Sincerely,

Jacquelyn K.
Customer Care Team Member
Academy Sports + Outdoors

I notice all the guys that said their stores still carry them haven't posted recent pictures.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 3:30:23 PM EDT
[#34]
If they are selling clothing, I bet its mostly to females.

Don't most females RETURN most of the clothes they buy?

Wow, there's a profit model for you.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 4:15:23 PM EDT
[#35]
They'll always have a sweet spot in my heart for the cases upon cases of cheap UMC brass 9mm that was less than $150 delivered to my door.  I recall there being some cheap .45 deals too.  Too bad that was ~7 years ago.

I'm going to be real grumpy whenever I need to start buying ammo again.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 4:17:45 PM EDT
[#36]
I used to love browsing around Academy, but the last few times I've visited have been depressing.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 4:23:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AeroE] [#37]
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 9:33:27 AM EDT
[#38]
I prefer the Scheels down the road, but they have a very poor selection of mags.  The have mostly Magpul stuff and pretty much nothing else.

As for guns, they have more than Brazil.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 9:40:01 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 9:44:35 AM EDT
[#40]
Cabellas here has a large selection of mags.  Tend to be pricey but if you want it now, they are there.
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 12:52:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: naes] [#41]
Stopped at Academy today and confirmed they only sell 20 round mags at the local store.  

I still bet it’s the same everywhere.

They only had 4 different mags that looked like 30s but all are 20 round capacity.  
Pmag was 10 rounds.

Link Posted: 5/19/2024 12:56:51 AM EDT
[#42]
Sportsman’s Warehouse is also reducing stocks and their stores are becoming less populated with inventory. Not sure if they are going out of business or what.
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 1:10:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mousehunter] [#43]
A Murdocks just went in across the street from my nearest Acadamy.  Other than sporting shoes - and fishing equipment (if they keep that department stocked), I don't see myself shopping at Acadamy much anymore.  The Murdocks gun counter is small, but still better stocked than Acadamy.  
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Top Top