Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/13/2024 6:19:28 PM EDT
Wife snagged an All American 915 pressure canner for $25.  It doesn't have the standard vent tube and weight, in place of that it's a little spring loaded swing arm thingy.  Any idea what I'm looking at here, gents?

Link Posted: 5/13/2024 6:21:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Made of Genuine Aluminium(TM).

You should be able to find parts.  If you do use it, do so only as a canner and don't cook any food directly in it.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 6:21:40 PM EDT
[#2]
What my mother always used. Just have to watch pressure more closely & adjust temps. Or just convert to weight.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 6:23:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By California_Kid:
Made of Genuine Aluminium(TM).

You should be able to find parts.  If you do use it, do so only as a canner and don't cook any food directly in it.
View Quote

Absolutely.  We have an instapot for direct cook stuff.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 6:24:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By hbilly:
What my mother always used. Just have to watch pressure more closely & adjust temps. Or just convert to weight.
View Quote

So it's just a manual release/requires constant babysitting?
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 6:27:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Hell of a deal.

I'm 87% sure the part in question is referred to as the "control valve" on p42 of this manual: https://www.allamerican-chefsdesign.com/admin/FileUploads/Product_49.pdf

I think you can use it as is or upfit it to the newer weight system.

I'd try contacting their CS if you're in doubt. Or maybe just put some water in it and run it outside to see how it regulates.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 6:28:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: buck19delta] [#6]
It’s easily a $300 score, big ones run as much as $500.00.  

No rubber seal, it’s the Cadillac of pressure canners, I scored a big one for $75.00 along with a literal entire pick up truck load of canning / kitchen equipment, jars, knive sets, rice cooker, quesadilla maker and a ton of other items etc in a $75 package deal.  Guys wife / step mother left him and his daughter / her step daughter sold off all her kitchen shit for $75 when she failed to come get her stuff out of storage after their divorce. Was around $1500.00 in parts n pieces, I totaled it all up later. The canner alone is $400.00 now.

Good score op, manuals are freely available for those, all American offers full support for their products.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 6:31:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Yes OP, the thingamjigger is a different style than the weighted pressure relief.

Straight up to vent
Loose to the side to regulate
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 6:34:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By usptac:

So it's just a manual release/requires constant babysitting?
View Quote

Basically. Just watch your heat till its up to pressure. Adjust accordingly to hold said pressure for
however long the product you're canning calls for. Only requires "babysitting" while heating up. Then
you adjust heat to keep at pressure you want.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 6:34:53 PM EDT
[#9]
I would get a new vent tube and jiggler. You don't have to worry about the pressure gauge being off and you don't need to babysit it. I actually replaced the parts of an old national #7 with all American parts.

They're pretty cheap. I actually also have a spare vent tube and gaskets. Spare things for all my canners.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 6:41:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Here is a link to the source
Place for all your needs

I like having both gauge and weighted jiggler because I can track the pressure with the gauge, it doesn't have to be perfect to let me know it's totally depressurized. The all American jigglers are nice because the sound is very positive. I have a small pressure cooker that has the round presta jiggler and it's a gentle hiss. It doesn't matter if I'm cooking squirrels, but I like a distinctive sound for canning.

This is what you want
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/13/2024 6:43:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Link didn't work. Copy and paste this

https://www.pressurecooker-outlet.com/All-American-Pressure-Cooker-Parts.htm
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 6:45:55 PM EDT
[#12]
This is why I love you guys even if most of you have me blocked

Thanks for the input.  I'll be switching to the jiggler weight setup.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 6:48:18 PM EDT
[#13]
I prefer the flip valve over the weighted jigger, you don't have to worry about loosing your water and it will require less heat since it does not loose any steam.

When canning, crank your heat and let it steam out the valve full blast for 5 minutes to purge the air in the canner.  Then flip the valve and turn down the heat when it gets to the correct pressure.  You will have to monitor it occasionally and possibly adjust heat to stay at the proper pressure.
When you are done, let it cool till the gauge is at zero before testing the valve for pressure.  A tiny short hiss is fine, but no more than that.

All American has the parts to change your canner over to the weighted style if you'd prefer that style.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 6:53:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Discblade:
I prefer the flip valve over the weighted jigger, you don't have to worry about loosing your water and it will require less heat since it does not loose any steam.

When canning, crank your heat and let it steam out the valve full blast for 5 minutes to purge the air in the canner.  Then flip the valve and turn down the heat when it gets to the correct pressure.  You will have to monitor it occasionally and possibly adjust heat to stay at the proper pressure.
When you are done, let it cool till the gauge is at zero before testing the valve for pressure.  A tiny short hiss is fine, but no more than that.

All American has the parts to change your canner over to the weighted style if you'd prefer that style.
View Quote

I'm the kinda guy that would elect for a stick-burner over a pellet smoker.  I involuntarily invite frustration into my life all of the time (hey I married a redhead).  Maybe I'll stick with the swing arm
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 8:43:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Well, there it is..

All American Pressure Canner Petcock

wood.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 9:17:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 50-140] [#16]
I have the All American 915, I got rid of the petcock and went with the pressure regulator stem and regulator weight.

Most universities have a food safety program, they will check the accuracy of your top and steam gauge for a nominal fee $5 iirc.  

It's very important that you have gauge checked.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 9:26:04 PM EDT
[#17]
I’d be afraid of that thing you have without reading the instructions first. Even then I’d prefer the jiggle weight.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 9:31:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Looks like mine. Got mine from my grand mother.
If I can find it tomorrow, I’ll check it out.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:35:08 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By flippflopped:
I’d be afraid of that thing you have without reading the instructions first. Even then I’d prefer the jiggle weight.
View Quote

Trust me I have a healthy respect for pressure vessels.  I’m not looking to fuck around because I definitely don’t want to find out.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:38:38 AM EDT
[#20]
My money is on it doesn't seal properly. If it does, steal of a lifetime.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:45:18 AM EDT
[#21]
Mom and dad used one like that for years. Good find OP..
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:59:29 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By NAM:
My money is on it doesn't seal properly. If it does, steal of a lifetime.
View Quote

If that's the case it can probably be fixed I would think. Maybe lapping compound?

It's not uncommon for them to have a tiny bit of seepage when you first get them until the lid seats.
Top Top