Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/28/2024 9:39:54 AM EDT
Destiny's main goal right now is survival.

The 21-year-old grew up in foster care in Florida and left the foster-care system at 16. Retail jobs helped her save enough money for an apartment, and she eventually became a manager at Family Dollar. She enrolled in college and maintained straight A's   for a while.

But Destiny, who asked to go by only her first name for fear of personal and professional repercussions, began to suffer from overwork while having multiple jobs during the pandemic, and her mental health faltered.

"I feel for those who are in my shoes and don't have a connection or a home base," said Destiny, who now lives in a small apartment in Alabama with her boyfriend. "You think you're alone, but there are so many of us who are in this situation. We're hopeless, feel like a failure, and we want to get it together. We just need better resources and time."

Eventually, Destiny dropped out of college and quit her job. She's struggled to get medication for her OCD and find stable employment beyond part-time gig work. She knows she's not alone in feeling stuck when it comes to investing in education or finding the right job.

"When I was a general manager, when I would hire people, I was hiring people who had master's" degrees, Destiny said. "They just couldn't find a job that used that degree or jobs they just weren't qualified enough for with their experience. I think a degree now is just pretty much a baseline education for most people with jobs."

A growing group of America's young people are not in school, not working, or not looking for work. They're called "disconnected youth" or "opportunity youth," and their ranks have been growing for nearly three decades. Experts say it's not just work and school; this group is often also disconnected from a sense of purpose.

It's creating a tale of two Gen Zs: those who have followed traditional milestones and others who are increasingly getting left behind. These aren't all young people taking gap years   the disconnected youth Business Insider spoke with want education and good jobs but are partly victims of economic circumstances outside their control. And that might cost them.

View Quote
moar
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:41:40 AM EDT
[#1]
This thread should be civil.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:44:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Stop helping except in extreme cases.

Sink or swim bitches. I think the kids will find a way if they were raised with morals and ethics.

If not there's always only fans and selling crack!
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:44:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By eagarminuteman:
View Quote

Four timeouts, two bans, 87 mod edits, and a thread lock….
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:45:23 AM EDT
[#4]
View Quote
you know it, good sir.

order yourself a plate of delicious cado toast and get your stahbucks and iphone and settle in.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:45:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Zoomers are just a made up generation of millenials that boomers created to make older millenials feel better about themselves.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:45:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Scoobysmak:

Four timeouts, two bans, 87 mod edits, and a thread lock….
View Quote

Nah, the thread is about zoomers. Not Ukraine.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:45:53 AM EDT
[#7]

Four timeouts, two bans, 87 mod edits, and a thread lock .
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:46:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By JLPettimoreIII:
Destiny's main goal right now is survival.

The 21-year-old grew up in foster care in Florida and left the foster-care system at 16. Retail jobs helped her save enough money for an apartment, and she eventually became a manager at Family Dollar. She enrolled in college and maintained straight A's   for a while.

But Destiny, who asked to go by only her first name for fear of personal and professional repercussions, began to suffer from overwork while having multiple jobs during the pandemic, and her mental health faltered.

"I feel for those who are in my shoes and don't have a connection or a home base," said Destiny, who now lives in a small apartment in Alabama with her boyfriend. "You think you're alone, but there are so many of us who are in this situation. We're hopeless, feel like a failure, and we want to get it together. We just need better resources and time."

Eventually, Destiny dropped out of college and quit her job. She's struggled to get medication for her OCD and find stable employment beyond part-time gig work. She knows she's not alone in feeling stuck when it comes to investing in education or finding the right job.

"When I was a general manager, when I would hire people, I was hiring people who had master's" degrees, Destiny said. "They just couldn't find a job that used that degree or jobs they just weren't qualified enough for with their experience. I think a degree now is just pretty much a baseline education for most people with jobs."

A growing group of America's young people are not in school, not working, or not looking for work. They're called "disconnected youth" or "opportunity youth," and their ranks have been growing for nearly three decades. Experts say it's not just work and school; this group is often also disconnected from a sense of purpose.

It's creating a tale of two Gen Zs: those who have followed traditional milestones and others who are increasingly getting left behind. These aren't all young people taking gap years   the disconnected youth Business Insider spoke with want education and good jobs but are partly victims of economic circumstances outside their control. And that might cost them.

View Quote
moar
View Quote

she's done all that by the time she;s 21? yeah, I'm throwing the bullshit flag on this one
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:46:38 AM EDT
[#9]
you know it, good sir.

order yourself a plate of delicious cado toast and get your stahbucks and iphone and settle in.
View Quote

Nothing about boot straps….

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:46:58 AM EDT
[#10]

Nah, the thread is about zoomers. Not Ukraine.
View Quote
what about when the Zoomas get drafted to fight WWIII in da ukraine?

*mind blown*

JLP3: does this mean Lujan's not coming?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:47:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Just give them Adderall , that ll fix it . What a soup sandwich.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:47:21 AM EDT
[#12]

Nothing about boot straps .

View Quote
fuck.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:47:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Naming her Destiny mapped her career choice.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:47:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: slow3v] [#14]
Either way, I can say indefinitely that life now is a bit more difficult than it was 30-40 years ago. All things being equal (and they are not), growing up and starting out now sucks dick compared to 40 years ago, at least from what all of my older peers tell me, my parents tell me, and what I have observed.

Every single older influential person in my life (there have been many) reminisce on the days of old, how much simpler things were, how much more enjoyable even little things were like being a late teen/early twenty something. The world of constant connection and constant societal influence is awful on the mind and awful on the psyche. I hope some day there are parallel societies, one that is connected and one that says to hell with this and is not. It won't happen, we're too far in, but the future is bleak for humanity.

-32 y/o.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:48:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By DDDDCheapAF:
Just give them Adderall , that ll fix it . What a soup sandwich.
View Quote
every pipeline welder i know has an Rx for adderall.

supposed to be some good shit.

i also know a CPA who has an Rx for adderall during tax season.

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:49:58 AM EDT
[#16]

Dang boomer’s have gone and ruined the Zoomers.

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:50:16 AM EDT
[#17]
There was recently a thread about building them homes and letting them live rent free forever.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:50:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Scoobysmak] [#18]

*mind blown*

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/253414/ezgif-3-7c68682ee8_jpg-3200201.JPG
View Quote

I would rent that…..

(ETA…provided that has OEM equipment)
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:50:29 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Jackslack:
View Quote
Both opportunities that literally did not exist when I was "Destiny's" age.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:50:40 AM EDT
[#20]

*mind blown*

View Quote

If Lujan ain’t coming then I ain’t going.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:51:45 AM EDT
[#21]

*mind blown*

View Quote

After seeing the HRC comparison pic I can't unseen it.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:53:09 AM EDT
[#22]
Meh, took me till my late 20s to take off. I struggled with college and min wage jobs. My college education prepared me for a field I ended up hating.

It turned out alright. I found good work that I enjoy.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:54:50 AM EDT
[#23]
every pipeline welder i know has an Rx for adderall.

supposed to be some good shit.

i also know a CPA who has an Rx for adderall during tax season.

View Quote

I know some dudes on it too , every one of them is a shit sandwich
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:58:55 AM EDT
[#24]
She can't get OCD meds because she doesn't have it. Guaranteed she's just another fake self diagnosed whiner who says they have it to try and get their way all the time.

And as. DG Manager, I doubt using the stripper name "Destiny" was necessary to prevent "professional repercussions".

I found this article, if even real, both pathetic and funny at the same time.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:59:52 AM EDT
[#25]
Soft times create soft people. Add in crushing inflation and a current society pushing communist values and here is what happens.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 10:06:40 AM EDT
[#26]
Kids growing up with no guidance turn into adults that have issues? No kidding.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 10:10:16 AM EDT
[#27]
Poor lil zoomas, but there are some smart ones.

Enrollment in vocational community colleges is up 16% since 2018, according to a January 2024 National Student Clearinghouse report, as younger generations are turning towards trades and careers instead of paying for college tuition.  

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 10:13:03 AM EDT
[#28]
Arm them and set them them loose to speak their truths.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 10:52:48 AM EDT
[#29]
Being hungry, penniless and sleeping in a old car with an empty tank in the cold can be a epiphany for some.

Just sayin'
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:02:42 AM EDT
[#30]
Sounds like thing are going to plan.  Disaffected youth are needed for the upcoming cultural revolution.  I don’t think they will be called the red guards though.  Maybe the rainbow brigade?
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:40:55 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By rtlm:
Naming her Destiny mapped her career choice.
View Quote

Oh, the irony
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:50:06 AM EDT
[#32]
As a parent of two Zoomas still in High School I'll put in my two cents.

The public school system is completely rotted.  The Democrats and their Teachers Unions have gutted American public education.  Instead of learning basic reading, writing and arithmetic they waste time on all kinds of stupid shit.  I would say someone graduating high school today is the equivalent of a 9th or 10th grader 30 years ago.

The internet and social media have been used to spread all kinds of poisonous ideas and to wreck our culture. Some of this is Democrats and some of it is China.

It's hard as a parent to stem the tide of these forces against your children.  And no older generations you didn't have it the same.  The school system was mostly sane up until the 90s. Your kids didn't have smartphones and social media or probably even the internet.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:54:34 AM EDT
[#33]
She's 21. She wants sex and fun, not to be working constantly to survive. She's a foster care ageout without parents to help a little, and she's trying.

She needs to get on a woodland fire crew doing something. Make some money. Work, fun, and become a woodland 9.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:30:46 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Laydown:
She's 21. She wants sex and fun, not to be working constantly to survive. She's a foster care ageout without parents to help a little, and she's trying.

She needs to get on a woodland fire crew doing something. Make some money. Work, fun, and become a woodland 9.
View Quote

That's the problem with all the free trade bullshit. People like her who could have had a job doing manual labor in a factory or wherever can't, because all the factories got shipped out to Mexico, China, or where ever, or the jobs are being done here on the cheap by immigrants.

Not everyone can code or do information/intelligent work, but our politicians have made it so that those people can't find work to do while fucking around in their 20's.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:33:25 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:34:24 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Jackslack:
Stop helping except in extreme cases.

Sink or swim bitches. I think the kids will find a way if they were raised with morals and ethics.

View Quote

The world's always needed whores and rum, I suppose... same difference
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:39:34 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By DeltaV42:

That's the problem with all the free trade bullshit. People like her who could have had a job doing manual labor in a factory or wherever can't, because all the factories got shipped out to Mexico, China, or where ever, or the jobs are being done here on the cheap by immigrants.

Not everyone can code or do information/intelligent work, but our politicians have made it so that those people can't find work to do while fucking around in their 20's.
View Quote
There's always Truck Driving School (they have refreshments and door prizes)

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:46:45 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Tallahasseezz:
As a parent of two Zoomas still in High School I'll put in my two cents.

The public school system is completely rotted.  The Democrats and their Teachers Unions have gutted American public education.  Instead of learning basic reading, writing and arithmetic they waste time on all kinds of stupid shit.  I would say someone graduating high school today is the equivalent of a 9th or 10th grader 30 years ago.

The internet and social media have been used to spread all kinds of poisonous ideas and to wreck our culture. Some of this is Democrats and some of it is China.

It's hard as a parent to stem the tide of these forces against your children.  And no older generations you didn't have it the same.  The school system was mostly sane up until the 90s. Your kids didn't have smartphones and social media or probably even the internet.
View Quote

It’s even worse for a kid like her who was in the system. I see how those kids are raised, and it’s an absolute disaster. Raising kids based on the advice of social workers is probably worse than abusing them.

At least your kids have you to help, and guide them, and 30 years ago kids like her had the schools. Today a kid like her has neither.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:48:04 PM EDT
[#39]
Fuck 'em, what are they going to do, vote for Democrats?   Also, if they vote for Democrats then the election was rigged.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:48:54 PM EDT
[#40]
I had two part time jobs in college and graduated with a 3.6 (out of 4) GPA. I had a buddy who worked full time at UPS as a sorter (graveyard shift), went to school full time, and had a young daughter to care for with his ex wife (who was a nut). I knew other people in similar situations.

Kids now are soft.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 1:04:14 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By magnum_99:
I had two part time jobs in college and graduated with a 3.6 (out of 4) GPA. I had a buddy who worked full time at UPS as a sorter (graveyard shift), went to school full time, and had a young daughter to care for with his ex wife (who was a nut). I knew other people in similar situations.

Kids now are soft.
View Quote

lol I’m doing the exact same thing, not all of us are.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 1:04:57 PM EDT
[#42]
Everyone should be faced with a challenging hardship early on and successfully deal with it to foster an appreciation for the things made available in this country.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 1:09:19 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By slow3v:
Either way, I can say indefinitely that life now is a bit more difficult than it was 30-40 years ago. All things being equal (and they are not), growing up and starting out now sucks dick compared to 40 years ago, at least from what all of my older peers tell me, my parents tell me, and what I have observed.

Every single older influential person in my life (there have been many) reminisce on the days of old, how much simpler things were, how much more enjoyable even little things were like being a late teen/early twenty something. The world of constant connection and constant societal influence is awful on the mind and awful on the psyche. I hope some day there are parallel societies, one that is connected and one that says to hell with this and is not. It won't happen, we're too far in, but the future is bleak for humanity.

-32 y/o.
View Quote

Constant connectivity and social media undoubtedly has a negative effect. But we also  do a lot of it to ourselves. The thread about using smart phones to track spouses and children was depressingly illuminating. Same with the surveillance networks many people set up around the homes and properties. Couple that in with rigidly scheduling/overscheduling their activities and huge academic demands. It takes helicoptering to a whole new level. Many parents don’t let their kids just be kids any more.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 1:40:13 PM EDT
[#44]
It seems that liberals or others try to create a new term that justifies every shortcoming that someone can have.

We don't need need more support/help/financial aid for those "in need," we need fewer people who think they deserve financial help from taxpayers.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 1:43:51 PM EDT
[#45]
Millennials: Boomers!
Boomers: Millineals!
Gen X: i DrANk fROm a wATEr HOse!
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 1:46:06 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By DVCER:
Poor lil zoomas, but there are some smart ones.

Enrollment in vocational community colleges is up 16% since 2018, according to a January 2024 National Student Clearinghouse report, as younger generations are turning towards trades and careers instead of paying for college tuition.  

View Quote

Nothing wrong with that.  People with skills in plumbing, electrical work, automotive repair etc will always be in demand.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:01:55 PM EDT
[#47]
Cut off government aid, ie welfare, snap, etc and see how fast they get jobs.  We need to stop incentivizing laziness.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:06:55 PM EDT
[#48]
A foster kid on psych meds is struggling?  No shit Sherlock.

Times are getting harder for sure, but overtly cherry picking your article focus doesn't make it more credible.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:10:52 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By slow3v:

-32 y/o.
View Quote
Its not more difficult, its different than yesteryears

1900 timeframe there were some really good sweatshops. Today we have Space-X sweatshop and the glory of working there
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:42:46 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top