User Panel

Classic car delusion (Page 2 of 16)
Page / 16
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:30:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Kanati] [#1]
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:32:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By STL_Nik:
Nostalgia is the biggest liar you will ever meet. I hear boomer car guys go on and on about how fast their muscle car was and how modern cars are shit.
They are completely delusional, modern 4 cylinders make equal or more power than your giant v8s made. Modern cars don't need a complete tear down and rebuild every 50k miles like the cars of yesteryear.  Line any of those old muscle cars up next to a modern Mustang or Charger, it's night and day. 14 seconds used to be a fast qt mile, guys are daily driving cars that are running low 8's.

Yes the modern car is harder for people to work on themselves but if you're not a complete dumbass it is doable.

Old cars are cool but lets be honest about how great they really were.

*edit*
Before anybody starts with dyno numbers, those old school numbers are complete horseshit and has been proven time and time again.  Put them on the dyno, yall were lied to about what those cars made.
View Quote

No one that isn't gender confused is getting a chubby over a 4 cyl.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:34:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Notcalifornialegal] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Curdmugeon45:

View Quote

Depends on the 4 cylinder.

That 9k rpm monstrosity they have in the s2000 is pretty lit.

Also this mf be a 4 cylinder too.

Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:35:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By SoCalExile:
The irony is nowadays an old grocery getter is rarer and more interesting (IMO) than the hi-performance cars of that day.
View Quote
not to me, but cars are like beer, if it makes you happy.....I don't give a shit.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:35:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Kent] [#5]
OP doesn't get it and is triggered easily by other's opinions.

If 1/4 mile times are the end-all be-all for you, go down to the new car dealer and write a huge check.  Easy as that, and requires zero appreciation for the mechanical aspects, and there's no need to be a "car guy" at all.

60's cars are fun because they are so easily customizable and buildable/rebuildable.

Modern muscle is horribly expensive, and might as well have the hood welded shut as far as real performance mods.  Sure, you can nip around the edges, as long as you don't mind destroying the warranty on your $60K+ new car for even the simplest of tunes.   Literally anyone can have a scary-fast modern muscle car if their checkbook is big enough, and they can drive it home, park it in the garage and never touch it except for the occasional wipe with a diaper.  

Which would I rather have for a DD?  Modern.
Which would I rather take on a road trip?  Modern.
Which one handles better and is faster at the drag strip?  Modern (as long as you sign the check on one of the expensive cars/packages)

But if you like to wrench (and not just upload a new tune by clicking a button on your laptop), and can appreciate actual mechanical machines, old muscle has a lot over modern.  

FYI -- been wrenching all my life.   Have had mostly modern muscle (Mustangs, Camaros, Corvettes).  But I also can really appreciate the true sole of classic muscle.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:36:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Dunderway] [#6]
You can't pull up a lawn chair at a white New Balance convention in the Dairy Queen parking lot if you're driving some modern four banger.

Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:36:52 AM EDT
[#7]
I will just leave this here

Repair Cost Are Out of Control: $5,600 Bill for Some Tail Lamps?!

Repair Cost Are Out of Control: $5,600 Bill for Some Tail Lamps?!
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:37:43 AM EDT
[#8]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Nostalgia is the biggest liar you will ever meet. I hear boomer car guys go on and on about how fast their muscle car was and how modern cars are shit.
They are completely delusional, modern 4 cylinders make equal or more power than your giant v8s made. Modern cars don't need a complete tear down and rebuild every 50k miles like the cars of yesteryear.  Line any of those old muscle cars up next to a modern Mustang or Charger, it's night and day. 14 seconds used to be a fast qt mile, guys are daily driving cars that are running low 8's.

Yes the modern car is harder for people to work on themselves but if you're not a complete dumbass it is doable.

*edit*
Before anybody starts with dyno numbers, those old school numbers are complete horseshit and has been proven time and time again.  Put them on the dyno, yall were lied to about what those cars made.

Even the rice hating V8 guys will usually smile at Subaru noises.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:38:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Boomers in jorts
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:39:34 AM EDT
[#10]
My 2020  Corolla outruns my 68 Chevelle by a long shot.  Not even close. Chevelle goes only in a straight line.  Cornering is no fun.  I’d rather get in a wreck in the Corolla than Chevelle too.  Chevelle is a death box.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:41:12 AM EDT
[#11]
rabble rabble rabble
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:41:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Kids today...

One thing that seems to be playing out is that these new modern wonder cars will disappear. They are now completely dependent on software to function. That means circuit boards, screens, software etc. That stuff has a shelf life of a jug of milk. Wonder why there are tons and tons of old cars still here? Does anyone with even a room temp IQ think any modern cars are going to be around that long in the future? Not a chance. They will fail to function due to all the electronic systems and die out. They will not be rebuild-able in their as new state, since none of those components will exist or be offered.

I'm seeing this even now with my "old' 2000 Corvette. There are a few circuit board boxes that will fail, rendering some systems inop and as of now there aren't any aftermarket companies offering solutions. On a 'Vette, which may have the biggest aftermarket of any car ever. GM is not releasing the IP on the software or circuits, and likely never will. My car is old enough though that it will still run if these systems fail and can't be replaced, since it's mainly ABS, traction control etc. New cars? Everything runs through a screen and computers. If that computer goes down and is not supported then the entire car will become worthless. 20 years from now is going to be a very interesting time in the car world. And there will still be a lot of the old cars around.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:42:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Stillnothere:
Classic cars have the designs that people love. The best rebuilds are when someone takes a classic body and installs all new internals so its a much more modern vehicle. Revology does this with their Mustangs, downside is the cost unfortunately.
https://revologycars.com/car/1968-shelby-gt500kr-convertible/
https://revologycars.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/66mustang_22_fastback_parked_in_front_of_vickers_metal_works-2.webp
View Quote

I'm a few weeks out from getting my '67 Mustang back. It's been in the shop for a full frame-off since January last year. Someone asked me why i spent so much time, money, and effort on that car since I'd never get my money back. I replied that 1) the car just looks cool, and 2) I wasn't planning to sell it...my son will still be able to drive it in 30 years when I'm gone.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:42:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By pale_pony:
I had an on again off again relationship with a Kawasaki 750 2-stroke I swore was actually trying to kill me

Looking back,  it pulled a 12-second quarter mile. One of the slower bikes I've ever owned
View Quote

That's why they were called Widowmakers.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:43:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By xviperx420:
My 67 cougar had a stupidly anemic 289 with less than 150 horsepower, and that was after I put a hotter cam into it. Foot to the floor, top speed was maybe 70.
View Quote

My '67 Mustang had the 200 ci inline 6 cyl. It could hardly get out of it's own way.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:43:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By pale_pony:
I had an on again off again relationship with a Kawasaki 750 2-stroke I swore was actually trying to kill me

Looking back,  it pulled a 12-second quarter mile. One of the slower bikes I've ever owned
View Quote

Same here, I rode every size of those Kawasaki 2 strokes and that is the reason they seemed so fast.

Cool bikes but my Yamaha RZ350 was more fun, I'm sorry I got rid of that one.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:44:09 AM EDT
[#17]
I actually haven't heard this in a while.  Back around the year 2000, it was actually a point of discussion whether you should just buy some 1960s-70s muscle or pony car vs. ricing out a Honda Civic.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:44:53 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By wakeboarder:

Liberals think and act on emotions instead of logic and reason
View Quote

It's been attributed to everyone and their brother, Churchill paraphrased it, before anyone starts, but the original is better (keeping in mind "republicain" referred to the progressives of that era).

“He who is not a républicain at twenty compels one to doubt the generosity of his heart; but he who, after thirty, persists, compels one to doubt the soundness of his mind.”
                                         Anselme Polycarpe Batbie

The Lost in the 50s car show is this weekend in Sandpoint. Thousands and thousands of people come in for it, mostly to celebrate the enduring love of style and individuality over technology.

Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:45:53 AM EDT
[#19]
I like neat cars.

I have a 53' F100 with a 351W that sounds cool and looks cool but will never be very fast.
My dream car is a 911 Turbo.
My daily is a decidedly uncool Subaru that I can take camping so it all works out.

OP has a point, but I ain't mad about it either way.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:46:25 AM EDT
[#20]
Stupid people think that classic cars are about nostalgia. I’m not a boomer. When I had a 1966 charger, I made friends wherever I went, and it was mostly young kids coming up asking about the car.  

On another matter, why does every pissed off malcontent posting at this forum insist on including the word “boomer” in their posts? Weren’t you people taught to respect your elders? What the hell is wrong with you? Maybe this is why your kids don’t respect you, ridicule you behind your back, if they even bother, speak to you.

You probably think you’re edgy and cool, but you’re just a Democrat stooge. In case you haven’t noticed, the Democratic Party holds onto power by dividing the country into groups and then making them hate each other. It isn’t just ivy league idiots hating Jews. It’s gun, toting, so-called conservatives, who should know better, Convincing themselves that “boomers” are the cause of all of their problems. What a fucking joke. Your parents must be so embarrassed. your kids must be so ashamed.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:47:04 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By SouthHoof:
<----boomer
I have owned a '66 Fairlane GT/A 390ci, C6 auto since 1990.  Just a couple small things done to give it something near the EXAGGERATED horse power rating. Ain't no way that car ever had 335hp. The car is mostly original to the average car guy.

OP is entirely correct.

In a head to head with the average modern 4cyl, I'm betting I could almost keep up.  I would certainly fall WAY behind in cornering because coil springs & hydraulic shocks coupled with drum brakes are wholly inadequate. I've said it often, that Fairlane is a slug.
View Quote

Hook your car's rear bumper to the rear bumper of the 4cyl, and see who drags who around the parking lot.
Yeah, new cars are better at efficiency, safety, pretty much everything. Now give the designers of today's vehicles the exact same tools the designers in the 60's were using and see what they come up with.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:48:15 AM EDT
[#22]
My 67 cougar had a stupidly anemic 289 with less than 150 horsepower, and that was after I put a hotter cam into it. Foot to the floor, top speed was maybe 70.
View Quote

Really?

Back when I was a Ford guy, a friend's older brother had a '67 Mustang when we were in high school.  He could make that thing dance, brother.  Many stock 289/302s were destroyed in his car--I was present for two of them.  Many C4s died for his ride.  Never got out of the primer red stage, and any money he had went toward tires and usually another engine...but even stock, he could get that thing over 110 on the speedo and did so frequently.  It wasn't the speed that impressed me so much--I always thought anybody could press their foot to the floor--but the things he could make that car do.  Bootlegger turns effortlessly, getting sideways through intersections, crazy driving that you just couldn't do well without practicing, and Lord help him, he did.  I've been a Chevy guy since 1990, but I still want a 1967 Cougar, if for no other reason than as a tribute to a time where I was thoroughly both scared shitless and extremely impressed/jealous.

An example:  One Winter day in our little mountain town, about twenty of us teenagers were grouped up at our bus stop--our high school was 20 miles away in another town.  It's about 0630 in the morning and cold as fuck, and quiet like it is when everything is snowed/iced up and frozen.  We're standing around, watching our breath fog up as it left our bodies, and...what's that?  Is that a sound?  Is that a car engine?  A screaming car engine?  And is it getting closer?  We all start looking around, and suddenly a junky primer red 1967 Cougar comes sideways through the intersection off to our left, perfectly lines up with our road without fishtailing, and starts heading for us.  At a certain distance it locks up all four tires, and comes to a perfect stop in front of our group.  We're all staring in shock at this car, and this great golden bear of a teenager leans over and opens up the passenger door (window didn't roll down) and says "Six!  Want a ride?"  I'm not going to lie--my first thought was "Oh, HELL NO!" but there were a shitload of other kids standing there, waiting to see how big my balls were.  I got in.  I lived.

J.R. died of heart failure in his 50s years ago.  I lost touch with him after high school like so many others, and when I finally looked him up again, I was years too late.  I don't think he ever knew how much influence he had on a young Sixtigers, and how I became addicted to old cars afterwards.  The '80s were a great time for us guys that liked old cars, and J.R. was probably the lead guy of a handful of boys that cemented my love for this stuff.  Wherever his is now, I'll bet his hair is on fire and he's breaking the law--grinning from ear to ear.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:49:36 AM EDT
[#23]
Because contrary to most car guy's beliefs. Quarter-mile times don't mean anything and nobody cares. Shocking I know.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:50:02 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Rbass:
Kids today...

One thing that seems to be playing out is that these new modern wonder cars will disappear. They are now completely dependent on software to function. That means circuit boards, screens, software etc. That stuff has a shelf life of a jug of milk. Wonder why there are tons and tons of old cars still here? Does anyone with even a room temp IQ think any modern cars are going to be around that long in the future? Not a chance. They will fail to function due to all the electronic systems and die out. They will not be rebuild-able in their as new state, since none of those components will exist or be offered.

I'm seeing this even now with my "old' 2000 Corvette. There are a few circuit board boxes that will fail, rendering some systems inop and as of now there aren't any aftermarket companies offering solutions. On a 'Vette, which may have the biggest aftermarket of any car ever. GM is not releasing the IP on the software or circuits, and likely never will. My car is old enough though that it will still run if these systems fail and can't be replaced, since it's mainly ABS, traction control etc. New cars? Everything runs through a screen and computers. If that computer goes down and is not supported then the entire car will become worthless. 20 years from now is going to be a very interesting time in the car world. And there will still be a lot of the old cars around.
View Quote

I was thinking 98-01 Corvette as I read your first paragraph.  Then I got to the second and saw you covered it.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:50:15 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By LittlePony:

About the only thing they do better. Besides ease of service is longevity, Anything 69 and older does not really have circuit boards to worry about.

Otherwise, modern cars blow them out of the water in every single respect.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By LittlePony:

About the only thing they do better. Besides ease of service is longevity, Anything 69 and older does not really have circuit boards to worry about.

Otherwise, modern cars blow them out of the water in every single respect.
Pretty much.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:51:08 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By dlshady:

Well, I really hope you feel better now that you've gotten that off your chest.  I surely feel more enlightened now.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By dlshady:

*edit*

Well, I really hope you feel better now that you've gotten that off your chest.  I surely feel more enlightened now.

I'm convinced OP is Deej
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:57:02 AM EDT
[#27]
Sorry but I'd rather have a 69 Camaro than an 8 second Honda Civic. Why? Because a 69 Camaro was cool n 1969 and it's still cool now.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:57:59 AM EDT
[#28]
1966 Shelby 427 Cobras routinely went from 0 to 100 and back to 0 in 13 seconds.

I've yet to see small aisian cars with fart mufflers do that.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:59:17 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By fast_fairlane:
Someone is upset they keep getting gapped by old iron.

It's okay, Riceboi, just put some more stickers on your glass and a bigger fart can.
View Quote

You're exactly the guy OP is talking about.

Most of that "old iron" can't "gap" a Chrysler minivan.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 12:02:45 PM EDT
[#30]

Came to this thread looking for this
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 12:02:54 PM EDT
[#31]
I'm 55. Not booming yet.
In the 80's we built small blocks and raced all the time.
The being said, besides the many cool as shit mid to late 60's cars I had, I wouldn't want anything but the rolling chassis to play with.
They were slow, didn't want to stop and handled like shit but were the shit back then.

Link Posted: 5/14/2024 12:04:42 PM EDT
[#32]

View Quote
Incorrect

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/14/2024 12:04:49 PM EDT
[#33]
View Quote

My 67 Cougar had the 4bbl 289 that put out 225 horsepower, it was called the 'Super 289'.
The 2-bbl put out around 200.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 12:04:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Rbass:
Kids today...

View Quote

The Corvette is a low volume car predominantly sold to old men that don't drive them much. Sales are well under 30k units most years. There's not nearly as much demand/money for some of those parts as you might think.

In situations where the demand exists, the industry will find a solution.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 12:05:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: giantpune] [#35]
Originally Posted By TheLookingGlass:
Old vehicles don't spy on you and report your location and driving habits to the insurance companies.

/end of thread
View Quote

Not to mention getting hacked.  Year after year, tesla gives out free cars as prizes when they get raped at the pwn2own conference.  Details and presentation dropped yesterday for the zero-click exploit chain where the attackers got remote code execution on the infotainment system of one of them over the cell network (or any computer pretending to be a base station).  The guys who performed the attack and wrote it up called out the fact that other cars in the competition were even easier to pwn.  

https://www.synacktiv.com/sites/default/files/2024-05/tesla_0_click_rce_cellular_network_offensivecon2024.pdf
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 12:05:43 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Singlestack_Wonder:
1966 Shelby 427 Cobras routinely went from 0 to 100 and back to 0 in 13 seconds.

I've yet to see small aisian cars with fart mufflers do that.
View Quote
I think they made less than 400 of those things in like 7 model years and less than 1000 total cobras (including small blocks) lol.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 12:05:52 PM EDT
[#37]
Attachment Attached File

But seriously, old cars aren't necessarily cool due to horsepower/quarter mile/speed. They're cool because you don't see them day in and day out, they have a very cerebral sight/sound/smell (loads of raw unburnt fuel. Yummy!) and it's just a fun novelty. Sorry your husband won't let you get one OP.

I highly doubt you're having as much fun in your Camry as I am rowing gears in this.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 12:10:24 PM EDT
[#38]
Just because you say it with conviction, it doesn't mean shit to me!
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 12:10:29 PM EDT
[#39]
Attachment Attached File

Rump rump rump rump means something.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 12:13:26 PM EDT
[#40]
OP is very misinformed.  The Ford 427 Cammer produced 616 horsepower with single four-barrel carburetor and 657 horsepower with dual four-barrel carburetors.  Yes that is at the flywheel with no accessories.  Where your delusion is comparing apples and oranges.  Those numbers are for a carbed engine running points...no computer...no turbo...no EFI.  Now take that engine and put 30k worth of boost, electronics and injection on it, then come back and tell how great your 4 banger is.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/14/2024 12:16:02 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By wakeboarder:
Cars are for getting from A to B
View Quote

If you do it right, you can enjoy getting from A to B.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 12:17:09 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By GenYRevolverGuy:

The Corvette is a low volume car predominantly sold to old men that don't drive them much. Sales are well under 30k units most years. There's not nearly as much demand/money for some of those parts as you might think.

In situations where the demand exists, the industry will find a solution.
View Quote

Do you not see the point? Guess not. None of your new favorite cars will survive. The aftermarket "industry"  will not exist to keep any of them going. The factories will not support them past their minimum commitment, as it is vastly in their best interests to get all of their old cars off the roads. Who do you think is going to keep all the computer cars going? The Corvette is a great example that even with the most robust aftermarket of any car the electronics are still going to kill it. Mechanical parts are cheap. Software and electronics hardware for highly specialized applications such as all the different model cars, are not. Modern cars are the walking dead. You can believe that or not, but we are into the time frame now where it is beginning to happen and it's easy to see.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 12:18:02 PM EDT
[#43]
I think the dick measuring guys are kinda missing the point.  The way my old cars are setup, they are probably running like 14 second quarter miles.  I dont ever drive them as fast as they could go.  So not really much point in my trying to make them into 13 or 12 second cars, because I dont even use all the power they have currently.  About the only time they hit the redline is when I broke the tires loose and I'm doing doughnuts.  

It doesnt matter to me that my newer cars *can* go faster.  All that matters is my car goes as fast as I want it to.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 12:20:59 PM EDT
[#44]
I prefer the old cars and the old days. I don't care if they were slower.

American Graffiti (1973) - Music Video - Johnny B. Goode

Link Posted: 5/14/2024 12:21:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: oscardeuce] [#45]
Can’t beat the style!

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 12:23:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Number_Six] [#46]
They are completely delusional...
View Quote

Joe Walsh - A Life Of Illusion
Joe Walsh - A Life Of Illusion

Will my 67 Skylark cold start as easy as a modern Kia?  No.
Will my 67 Skylark handle as well as modern Kia? No.
Will my 67 Skylark be as quiet as a modern Kia? No, it has flowmaster mufflers.
Will my 67 Skylark stop as well or go as fast as a modern Kia? No.
Does my 340 v8 4barrel get as good gas mileage as modern Kia? No.

But it does something that no Kia (Hundai, Honda, EV...) can ever do: Make me want to buy one!
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 12:23:47 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By fast_fairlane:
Someone is upset they keep getting gapped by old iron.

It's okay, Riceboi, just put some more stickers on your glass and a bigger fart can.
View Quote

I'll play that game with my toyota...
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 12:26:40 PM EDT
[#48]

*edit*
View Quote
While it's true that modern cars are available with far greater performance than classic cars, it's a bit ridiculous to say that old cars needed complete engine rebuilding every 50,000 miles. Especially in a rant thread about being delusional.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 12:32:04 PM EDT
[#49]
View Quote
My son in laws Corolla hauls ass on the autobahn, same with my daughters Miata.

Never would believe we would be cruising along at 90 plus MPH most of the time with ease.

My wife's 2012 V6 Charger is faster than my 73 Roadrunner I had in High school. And gets way better gas mileage than the old big block mopar.

My sons 1980 F150 was much faster than our 1932 A model as well.

If the gov and EPA would go away car makers could make vehicles that are easy to maintain and still get good gas mileage.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 12:33:12 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By WI_Bill:
The guy who survived the Baltimore bridge hit escaped his car by rolling down the manual window.
View Quote
One thing I wish trucks still had.
Page / 16
Classic car delusion (Page 2 of 16)
Top Top