Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/13/2024 6:56:39 PM EDT

When older people see you doing better than them in life
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 6:59:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Michaelson] [#1]
Life is about choices. The Lion's Share of my situation is the culmination of past and current choices, good and bad.

I'm not rich or even well off by any stretch of the imagination. I am okay with that. If I weren't, I'd do something different.

I have a close family member who can't help but begrudge any good thing in other's lives. I'll be damned if I let myself be that miserable.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 7:01:33 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't.  Everybody is different.

When I see a young pup fly in with a more expensive airplane than I have I think "good on him".

Just me though, my life ain't a 1% but I enjoy it immensely and am very happy.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 7:04:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Boomer poors are grouchy, snappy, unhappy poors.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 7:07:09 PM EDT
[#4]
No. I didn’t do the college route and I have kids making more than me.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 7:08:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Grumpy Old Man 3 - Saturday Night Live
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 7:11:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Nick_Adams:
Boomer poors are grouchy, snappy, unhappy poors.
View Quote
So much this!
Now do Gen X, Millennials and Gen Zers...and the Greatest Generation and the Silent Generation. Round it out with the Lost Generation.
Don't forget those Founding Fathers fuckers.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 7:14:48 PM EDT
[#7]
People at any age get jealous of others of any age all the time.  
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 7:16:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Michaelson:
Life is about choices. The Lion's Share of my situation is the culmination of past and current choices, good and bad.

I'm not rich or even well off by any stretch of the imagination. I am okay with that. If I weren't, I'd do something different.

I have a close family member who can't help but begrudge any good thing in other's lives. I'll be damned if I let myself be that miserable.
View Quote

I'd argue a certain amount of luck is also involved. Some folk could be doing everything "right" but not be in the right place at the right time.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 7:18:39 PM EDT
[#9]
There has not been a single moment in my life where an older person or a younger person gave a single fuck about what I did or did not have.

Some of you need to go outside, look at the sun, and perhaps eventually touch a real vagina owned by a willing adult female.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 7:19:20 PM EDT
[#10]
An emphatic NO!  I want to see them all do well.  

But I see a lot of them making poor choices along the way.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 7:39:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By TechGal26:
People at any age get jealous of others of any age all the time.  
View Quote

This ^

Link Posted: 5/13/2024 7:42:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Poor people 50 or 60 years ago had a lot less than poor people today. A 21st century poor can afford to be fat, has a newish iPhone and enough gas money to drive to fast food at least once a day.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 7:43:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Oldgold:

View Quote

This. I have been lucky. But I have always been happy when others are lucky too. It has never seemed to come from my share, why would I care?
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 7:43:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Bulldog8:
Poor people 50 or 60 years ago had a lot less than poor people today. A 21st century poor can afford to be fat, has a newish iPhone and enough gas money to drive to fast food at least once a day.
View Quote

People used to be personally responsible for their choices.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 7:44:48 PM EDT
[#15]
No.  We have all of the money.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 7:44:59 PM EDT
[#16]
I had a girlfriend whose father kept insisting we were (she and I worked together) being paid too much.

No, Pops, you just pursued the course that you did.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 7:47:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: hatidua] [#17]
I'm not defensive.  Nor am I apologetic
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 7:53:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DDalton] [#18]
We're not allowed to say that an old person could have it worse than a millennial.

But to answer the question, I'm sure there are some prideful old folks who don't want to admit that they didn't make the most they could have out of life.

There's probably a few that understand that we can't all have equal outcomes, too.

A percentage maybe choose different values to judge whether their lives are good relative to younger folks, so maybe they don't believe their lives are worse, even when you've determined that they have worse lives.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 7:56:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By zaphar:

I'd argue a certain amount of luck is also involved. Some folk could be doing everything "right" but not be in the right place at the right time.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Bad luck for 70+ years? What next, blame it on bad karma...stepped on an ant, maybe?
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 7:56:47 PM EDT
[#20]
No.  Across the board, the younger folks in my family are making more $$$ than the older generation.  And the older generation seems happy about it.
I'm 1 generation removed from the trailer park.  My parents grew up 8 kids in a single wide trailer.  My grandparents lived their whole lives in the trailer park.  The first part of my life, we were in the trailer park, then apartments and duplexes.

My parents busted ass to better their life and so we could have a better one than they did.  My mom and aunts and uncles are happy and encouraging when we talk about work and retirement, even when they see that we're doing better than they did.

And hell, I hope my kid does better than me.  That way, if I somehow completely screw up my retirement, I can use him as my safety net.  
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 7:58:09 PM EDT
[#21]
I think that older people expect younger people to be better off.  I know I want my kids to do better than me, and I assume that their friends will too.

Link Posted: 5/13/2024 8:09:05 PM EDT
[#22]
As a Boomer, my life keeps me plenty busy to worry about anyone else’s.  If someone is really successful, good for them.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 8:26:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Joe_Pennsy:
There has not been a single moment in my life where an older person or a younger person gave a single fuck about what I did or did not have.

Some of you need to go outside, look at the sun, and perhaps eventually touch a real vagina owned by a willing adult female.
View Quote

Oh another boomer hate post. Why am I not surprised.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 8:27:11 PM EDT
[#24]
I flunked out of jelly school.  
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 8:30:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Old people get super defensive about most everything, I’ll likely be the same way.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 8:31:31 PM EDT
[#26]
I guess I'm a broken Boomer. I support and encourage anyone who is successful, how ever they define it. If someone younger than me is wealthier, good for them. I had my shot and did OK. I'm happy. The one thing I realize now is money isn't everything. I tell younger people to find what makes them happy, thats whats important.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 8:35:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JustDaniel] [#27]
Arfcom tech in a nutshell
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 8:40:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Homernomer:

This. I have been lucky. But I have always been happy when others are lucky too. It has never seemed to come from my share, why would I care?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Homernomer:
Originally Posted By Oldgold:

I am thrilled to see other people the same age or younger than me do well. I want succeeding generations to do better, and not just because of or solely due to inflation. American capitalism is all about upward mobility. And younger people making it proves that capitalism, for all the uncertainty and inequity, is still the economic system most reflective of human nature and aspirations.

Whether an engineer like my son in law or a rapper, more power to those younger than me raking in the bucks. Because ultimately, who is John Galt?
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 9:04:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Of course, since everyone knows "older folks" and "younger folks" are all members of specific cohorts with no individual life experiences.

If so, then why do we have threads about "younger people" complaining that they'll never own a house/retire/travel because of the hated "Boomers.?"

I lived a happy, but modest life. My son is much, much better off than me and I couldn't be happier. As a matter of fact, anyone that achieves their success through honest, hard/smart work earns my respect.

I see some the cool toys and lifestyles of some Arcommers and think "Damn! Good for you."

The only people I really despise are those who gained their and their families wealth through continued government "service."
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 9:18:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 10:51:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: zaphar] [#31]
Originally Posted By DDalton:

Bad luck for 70+ years? What next, blame it on bad karma...stepped on an ant, maybe?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DDalton:

You don't have to have bad luck for 70+ years to turn your world upside down.
There seem to be a few stories on here of divorced men being taken to the cleaners and being a bit bitter about marriage...
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 11:12:45 PM EDT
[#32]
The white guy had to be in his 60s in 1987. I had to 15. We were working as dishwashers in a family owned restaurant.
As an ignorant 15 yo I told the guy I got a raise. It wasn't much maybe $.50 above minimum wage. Boy did he go off the handle. Some snot nosed punk making more money than a grown man that was working at the restaurant long before he started working there.
So what generation would he have been? Whatever it was he was before the baby boomer.
Top Top