Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/9/2023 10:01:49 PM EDT
Ive been an avid 2 wheel biker since I was a kid, took my road bike with me when I was in the army, and have ridden 2 wheels most of my life.  That said, life and various misadventures (I have had significant injuries to both a shoulder and an ankle) have taken their toll and I just don't ride anymore.  I have gone through the rebuld/improvement/update phase a couple times on my old bikes, but my 300lb ass just can't hack it anymore.  I work too much and have more excuses than a busload of teenagers about why I can't get in shape, but it all boils down to everything hurts.  Every time I have tried to get back in shape in the last 5 years, I have ended up over-doing things and ending up barely able to stand the next day week.  

Then COVID destroyed everything and my workload doubled and then got bigger yet, so I was coming home from work with no motivation to do anything while my co-workers were "working from home" and doing things like posting on facebook about cleaning their gutters or remodelling their basement.  Now all of my co-workers are required to be back in the office (whining all the way) and my workload has relaxed a bit and I am running out of excuses for why I cannot finish this project and get back to losing weight and getting in better shape.  I have had a couple of friends pass away lately, and one guy was the same age as me, so this is no longer a theoretical "I'll get to it someday" kinda problem, I need to get on this.   But none of that is the point of this thread.  

The point of this thread is I traded a rifle for a trike a while back, - a Terratrike Rambler and it solved many of my issues, but one significant issue that remains is that I live on a hill, have quite an incline even on my driveway, and I managed to exhaust myself on more than one occasion to the point where I couldn't make it back up my driveway at home, or even stand up.  So, I decided to electrify this trike so no matter how hard I overdid things, I could always get home.  I looked up GRIN in canada and bought one of their geared hub motors (TDCM IGH) and what I thought was enough kit to make my trike go on its own (to get me home when I went out riding).  That was probably a mistake, because I had nothing but problems and nothing ever fit right (or in some cases at all), so I was back to no trike since it is still all taken apart in my garage.  In hindsight, I should have just purchased a different electric trike (that would actually work) but I am stubborn and stupid, and I don't want to waste the time and effort I already put into this.  Plus, I know my own personality well enough that when I have tried to buy my way out of problems, it rarely goes as planned.

SO, the point of this thread is twofold.  First, I need motivation to do this, I need to cut double digits off of my BMI, and I am not coordinated enough to do crossfit anymore.  Second, I know I will need specific help getting this trike back together, and I am hoping I can ask questions here when I run into individual problems and get some actual help assuming the bike community on here isn't bigoted against third wheels....  

Link Posted: 7/10/2023 8:26:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Let's start with your diet, what is it like?

You're not going to exercise your way out of a bad diet.
Top Top