Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/28/2024 1:45:24 PM EDT
We Test The US Military's Newly Adopted .277 Fury Round

Posting for the drama 3062fps from the 13" barrel with 113gr solid copper TSX, gel and armor at 4 minutes in. want.png
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:41:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Just got done watching a few mins ago.
Seems like a serious round!
Barely any holdovers from 500-600 yds they said.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:43:57 PM EDT
[#2]
We've done this thread before, we'll do it again, but not matter how many times we do it, it'll still be retarded.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:57:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BladedRonin] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Nobody69s:
View Quote

I dont know about the rest of yall, but I get an feeling of dread every time he joked about the being pushed in prep for use against the PLA and armor.

I cant help but feel its not being pushed against external threats wearing armor, but perceived internal adversaries.    Proliferation of armor in the US is a thing.

No matter how much they say you dont need an AR15 against f35s, we all know thats not what they will use.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:58:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By BladedRonin:

I dont know about the rest of yall, but I get an feeling of dread every time he joked about the being pushed in prep for use against the PLA and armor.

I cant help but feel its not being pushed against external threats wearing armor, but perceived internal adversaries.    Proliferation of armor in the US is a thing.

No matter how much they say you dont need an AR15 against f35s, we all know thats not what they will use.
View Quote

I’m keeping 556 as a large part of my stuff.  

But I’m moving to bigger stuff too.  Just in case.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 4:01:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Bigshot64:

I’m keeping 556 as a large part of my stuff.  

But I’m moving to bigger stuff too.  Just in case.
View Quote

Im trying to get my bigger stuff to run reliably suppressed.  Thats been a chore.  Just added a JP enhanced ejector to my 308.  Lets hope that fixed some problems.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 4:01:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Terrible bullet design, too much of bullet profile is exposed, ANOTHER new DUD!🙄🤦🏻‍♂️
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 4:05:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kingdead] [#7]

View Quote
Wearing chest armor doesn't make you invincible. It may help stop an immediate kill, but you will still be hurt or if you are shot in the extremities you can still be incapacitated or killed. I'm not saying don't wear armor, but if you think the us gov purchased a new weapon to kill maga civilians you are too far gone.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 4:09:41 PM EDT
[#8]
The secret real reason for the new round to killing Termonators. They're thinking UGVs, not Ivan in plates.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 4:12:28 PM EDT
[#9]
1.5 mil at 700 yds, that's a pretty impressive BC.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 4:12:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Isn’t barrel life cut in half with this round or something?
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 4:14:48 PM EDT
[#11]
The future M-14
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 4:15:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kingdead] [#12]
Originally Posted By -OdieGreen-:
Isn't barrel life cut in half with this round or something?
View Quote
It's less though realistically I think a lot of barrels were lost to corrosion in ww2 and korea than the round being too hot. I'm not a fan of the new weapon but that's more do to a personal bias against SIG.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 4:16:54 PM EDT
[#13]
How does/will the commercially available ammunition (which I'm assuming will be brass cased) compare to 6.5 cm because 6.5cm with factory hornady loads are knocking on 3,000 fps at a similar bullet weight anyway.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 4:22:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Badlatitude:
How does/will the commercially available ammunition (which I'm assuming will be brass cased) compare to 6.5 cm because 6.5cm with factory hornady loads are knocking on 3,000 fps at a similar bullet weight anyway.
View Quote

Not from a 13" barrel
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 4:36:41 PM EDT
[#15]
I noticed that the blunt trama from hitting the ballistics dummy in the side plate was pretty rough on the ribs.  One question though.  I thought it was normal to wear soft armor under the main rifle plate, so wouldn't much of that impact be more evenly distributed and possibly not break as many ribs, or would it make little difference?
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 4:41:03 PM EDT
[#16]
View Quote

I think where the Creedmoor shines is barrel life and price/performace. .277 Fury with the steel/brass hybrid case should be superior in every other way that’s measurable. That case will never be cheap.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 4:51:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By billclo:
I noticed that the blunt trama from hitting the ballistics dummy in the side plate was pretty rough on the ribs.  One question though.  I thought it was normal to wear soft armor under the main rifle plate, so wouldn't much of that impact be more evenly distributed and possibly not break as many ribs, or would it make little difference?
View Quote
Hard armor is made in either 'stand alone' (no soft armor backing needed) or 'in-conjunction' (soft armor backing needed) versions
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 4:52:51 PM EDT
[#18]
View Quote

They're selling hybrid cased 277 Fury to civilians too.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 4:54:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Isnt that the rifle thats heavier than the Garand?
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 4:58:12 PM EDT
[#20]
The .gov is moving to the M5 for one reason…. Citizens with hard plates.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 5:00:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Cypher15:
Isnt that the rifle thats heavier than the Garand?
View Quote

XM7 is 8.5lbs, Garand is 9.5lbs. Slap on optic and can then it gets heavier…but optic and can
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 5:00:42 PM EDT
[#22]
View Quote

Yup
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 5:24:20 PM EDT
[#23]
I still don't understand why these are almost twice as much as the MCX. Too much of a premium for me. I was really excited about a modern large frame gun but damn.

Originally Posted By eurotrash:

I think where the Creedmoor shines is barrel life and price/performace. .277 Fury with the steel/brass hybrid case should be superior in every other way that’s measurable. That case will never be cheap.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I can't wait to see Creedmoor barrel assemblies for this thing. If it stays around that will certainly happen. This is one of those times I'd love to see a chart with everything plotted out so you can really see the difference of everythng. I know that 6.5 Creedmoor isn't as fast 6.8 Angry but like so many things I'd bet it's close enough. I think it would be cool if 6.5 Creedmoor kept working its way into military stuff. Not just as a precision round but some good fmj and specialty.

Originally Posted By sc16:
Terrible bullet design, too much of bullet profile is exposed

What does that mean?
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 5:32:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Terrible bullet design, too much of bullet profile is exposed, ANOTHER new DUD!🙄🤦🏻‍♂️
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 5:34:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:
I still don't understand why these are almost twice as much as the MCX. Too much of a premium for me. I was really excited about a modern large frame gun but damn.

I can't wait to see Creedmoor barrel assemblies for this thing. If it stays around that will certainly happen. This is one of those times I'd love to see a chart with everything plotted out so you can really see the difference of everythng. I know that 6.5 Creedmoor isn't as fast 6.8 Angry but like so many things I'd bet it's close enough. I think it would be cool if 6.5 Creedmoor kept working its way into military stuff. Not just as a precision round but some good fmj and specialty.

What does that mean?
View All Quotes

What does that mean?

White the 6.5 can get close, it would have to be like 26” barrel, loaded above max pressure us civvies deal with.

Also, sc16 can’t tell you what that means, because it doesn’t mean anything.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 5:40:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Kingdead:
Wearing chest armor doesn't make you invincible. It may help stop an immediate kill, but you will still be hurt or if you are shot in the extremities you can still be incapacitated or killed. I'm not saying don't wear armor, but if you think the us gov purchased a new weapon to kill maga civilians you are too far gone.
View All Quotes

If you have $$$, armor piercing doesn't do shit. If you can hump heavy weight, armor doesn't do shit.

You are better off blinding your enemies with over powered lasers.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 5:42:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By SuperHeavy:

If you have $$$, armor piercing doesn't do shit. If you can hump heavy weight, armor doesn't do shit.

View All Quotes

Sounds like power armor needs to become a reality to me.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 5:46:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SuperHeavy] [#28]
Originally Posted By Raider14:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Raider14:

If you look through history and out current ammo, it never could be effective against a near peer opponent. Bitch about m855 zipping through skinny enemies, but it never would have been effective against a guy armored like any 1st world nation or the guys who shop on Chinese websites.

A level 4 plate will stop a lead core 50 BMG. Energy might do you in though.

Physics and science are not on the side of the guy shooting the gun. It's very easy to stop a bullet, it's expensive to do that lightly. No modern infantry rifle will compete with modern armor.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 5:52:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Kuraki:

Not from a 13" barrel
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 5:58:52 PM EDT
[#30]

What does that mean?
View All Quotes

What does that mean?

I am curious as well.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 6:07:54 PM EDT
[#31]

View Quote

Why not just change that to a definite use against us. It's the truth.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:33:18 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Ronin72:

View Quote

Because China can't produce things at scale. Right.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:35:52 PM EDT
[#33]

View All Quotes

Sig will sell it to you, a civilian.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:37:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Shockergd:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Shockergd:

China will produce anything for profit sake not sure if that includes the PLA though
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:38:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TaskForce] [#35]

View Quote

I hate to break it to you and shatter the fantasy but most people don't actually believe the US army is going to kill us all every time they get a new rifle.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:38:44 PM EDT
[#36]
Neat. Maybe I'll be able to afford one and a few rounds eventually
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:39:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By noob5000000:
View Quote

Too niche. It's 5.56 and .308 forever boys.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:03:19 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By TaskForce:

View All Quotes

Maybe not forever,  but for at least another decade.

By then there will be a SFAR, PSA or similar in 6.8 Furry that will be just as gud for civilians.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:09:51 PM EDT
[#39]
View Quote

The basic brass cased stuff isn’t too bad, looking like $22 a box for range ammo. The hybrid stuff starts pushing $3 a round real quick tho lol
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:15:32 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By 50-140:
1.5 mil at 700 yds, that's a pretty impressive BC.
View Quote

Couldn’t find any data on that bullet.  The 110 TSX at 3100 fps, 6,000’ elevation and zeroed at 200 yards only gets to 440 yards at 1.5 mil holdover.  

140 grn 6.5 boat tail with a G1 BC of 0.586 same conditions only gets to 480 yards at 1.5 mil holdover.

The video implied this was zeroed at 100.  Something seems magical.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:20:31 AM EDT
[#41]

Not from a 13" barrel
View All Quotes

Not from a 13" barrel

This.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 3:07:17 AM EDT
[#42]
View Quote

Welcome fellow cartridge enthusiast!
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 3:40:34 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By billclo:
View Quote

I can't imagine wearing a plate carrier over a standard ballistic vest. Talk about uncomfortable, hot and heavy.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 3:44:42 AM EDT
[#44]

View Quote

A good friend of mine mirrored this exact sentiment to me. One thing I've come to learn is that our government will use any means nefariously for it's own greed and power.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 4:46:35 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Seneca-Cayuga:

I can't imagine wearing a plate carrier over a standard ballistic vest. Talk about uncomfortable, hot and heavy.
View Quote

The soft armor is integrated into the plate carrier. See the IOTV.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 6:09:49 AM EDT
[#46]
DoA

I doubt us peons will ever see the 80Kpsi rounds.  .277 Fury civilian offerings will only offer performance of the 7mm-08 in my research.   Sad, I'd love to play with the full power stuff.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 6:46:49 AM EDT
[#47]
Interesting video on an interesting cartridge. Seems rather over powered and heavy for general use. He also mentioned a lot of heat. Does not sound like a rifle meant for high volume of fire.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 6:56:38 AM EDT
[#48]

I hate to break it to you and shatter the fantasy but most people don't actually believe the US army is going to kill us all every time they get a new rifle.
View Quote

I hate to break it to you and shatter your masturbatory fantasy that you're safe, but you're not. You have already been labeled a domestic terrorist and your boy Joe has brought in enough people to make sure those that hate you stay in power. You are exactly where the Jews were just as the Nazis took power, Skippy. I want you to keep that in mind.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:02:59 AM EDT
[#49]

View All Quotes

I love GT, Charlie cracks me up, but I got this feeling that this week’s video and last week’s, are psyops. My first thought was to head off a Chinese invasion of Taiwan but it could be internal too.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:21:10 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By AEROMechanic:
DoA

I doubt us peons will ever see the 80Kpsi rounds.  .277 Fury civilian offerings will only offer performance of the 7mm-08 in my research.   Sad, I'd love to play with the full power stuff.
View Quote

The bi-metal cases were/are available for handloading. Not sure if anyone has taken them to 80k psi using pressure testing equipment though.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top