Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/13/2024 9:51:50 PM EDT
What a cluster!   Are there no portable fire bottles used anywhere?   Passengers are going all over the place.

New video shows moments when nose of Delta plane briefly catches fire at SEA Airport
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 9:58:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Aren't airports federally regulated?
That should explain everything.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 10:54:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By BamaInArk:
Are there no portable fire bottles used anywhere?
View Quote

Over the years, I have put out two aircraft fires with portable fire extinguishers (two different airports and two different companies).  

Both times, I managed to put the fire out before the repair bill got too ridiculous.

Both times, I got bitched at (no punishment, just bitching) by someone in management for the 'mess I made' with the dry chemical from the extinguishers.

A person could start to suspect that management wants the plane to be written off as a complete loss, once the fire starts.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 11:04:41 PM EDT
[#3]
What proportion of the fleeing passengers grabbed their carry-on?
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 6:30:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 6:58:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: switchtanks] [#5]
What a cluster!   Are there no portable fire bottles used anywhere?   Passengers are going all over the place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9r17ccUn8U
View Quote

I’ve seen worse.

It does look like the fire originated in the forward avionics bay, for which I think of no aircraft that has any sort of fire suppression system. Best case scenario that I can think of is that ground personnel grabs fire extinguisher on a wall somewhere and dowse that fire before smoke gets into the cabin. Which given the timeframe, I would think it did.

But yeah. If you evacuate, it’s rarely organized
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 7:06:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JPN:

Over the years, I have put out two aircraft fires with portable fire extinguishers (two different airports and two different companies).  

Both times, I managed to put the fire out before the repair bill got too ridiculous.

Both times, I got bitched at (no punishment, just bitching) by someone in management for the 'mess I made' with the dry chemical from the extinguishers.

A person could start to suspect that management wants the plane to be written off as a complete loss, once the fire starts.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

That’s incredible that you were given any grief whatsoever for putting out an active fire on an airframe
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 7:08:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By switchtanks:

I’ve seen worse.

It does look like the fire originated in the forward avionics bay, for which I think of no aircraft that has any sort of fire suppression system. Best case scenario that I can think of is that ground personnel grabs fire extinguisher on a wall somewhere and dowse that fire before smoke gets into the cabin. Which given the timeframe, I would think it did.

View Quote

Only the engines have fire suppression.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:07:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Mach] [#8]

I’ve seen worse.

View All Quotes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9r17ccUn8U

I’ve seen worse.

I had a fire in the Electrical Equipment bay after a lightning strike at the gate, the smoke rose up through the walls and started coming out of the ceiling. At least on that jet there is no fire detection or suppression in the E&E bay.

In that video, I wonder if the E&E door was open because it is clearly melting an dripping something. It is amazing nobody got a fire bottle and tried to put it out, it looks like nobody noticed the fire  for a long time even the guys by the nose of the jet. Very strange.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 10:25:15 AM EDT
[#9]

That’s incredible that you were given any grief whatsoever for putting out an active fire on an airframe
View All Quotes

First one was over 30 years ago, so the details are a bit fuzzy.  I mainly remember that it was just complaints about 'the mess I made' by using a dry chemical extinguisher on a plane on the ramp.  The dry chemical extinguisher was just a few steps away from a direct path to the fire from where I was when I first saw the flames, so grabbing it seemed the most logical option.

Second one was maybe 20 years ago, and the plane was in a hangar being worked on.  I happened to be standing next to a dry chemical extinguisher when I saw the flames, so that was what I grabbed.  Again, the bitching was about 'the mess I made' by using a dry chemical extinguisher.  We had a few CO2 extinguishers, but they were all in another hangar (and were bulkier and heavier).

Either incident could have been better handled with "at least the fire was put out, but now that we have time to review what happened, was there anything that could have been done that would have resulted in a better outcome?" - after both incidents, I did think back through what happened and pick out points where I could have trimmed a small amount of time from my response.
But no, their choice was to complain to me about how I had created 'more work' by using the type of extinguisher that was closest at hand.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:16:36 AM EDT
[#10]

First one was over 30 years ago, so the details are a bit fuzzy.  I mainly remember that it was just complaints about 'the mess I made' by using a dry chemical extinguisher on a plane on the ramp.  The dry chemical extinguisher was just a few steps away from a direct path to the fire from where I was when I first saw the flames, so grabbing it seemed the most logical option.

Second one was maybe 20 years ago, and the plane was in a hangar being worked on.  I happened to be standing next to a dry chemical extinguisher when I saw the flames, so that was what I grabbed.  Again, the bitching was about 'the mess I made' by using a dry chemical extinguisher.  We had a few CO2 extinguishers, but they were all in another hangar (and were bulkier and heavier).

Either incident could have been better handled with "at least the fire was put out, but now that we have time to review what happened, was there anything that could have been done that would have resulted in a better outcome?" - after both incidents, I did think back through what happened and pick out points where I could have trimmed a small amount of time from my response.
But no, their choice was to complain to me about how I had created 'more work' by using the type of extinguisher that was closest at hand.
View All Quotes

It is truly amazing how stupid management can be.

I declared a medical emergency on a 15 mile final into JFK after the FA did 3 dings ( emergency signal ) and said a doctor on board says a first class passenger is having a heart attack and is laying in the isle. People will be up and
in  the isle attending to the passenger during landing.

I got criticized by senior management for declaring a medical emergency without calling dispatch and the contract aviation medical team on the radio for guidance.

Luckily the Chief Pilot corrected them and said that contacting dispatch and the aviation medical team was not appropriate or consistent with proper priorities and the Flight Operations Manual on a  15 mile final  and I that I took the proper course of action.

Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:23:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Mach:

I had a fire in the Electrical Equipment bay after a lightning strike at the gate, the smoke rose up through the walls and started coming out of the ceiling. At least on that jet there is no fire detection or suppression in the E&E bay.

In that video, I wonder if the E&E door was open because it is clearly melting an dripping something. It is amazing nobody got a fire bottle and tried to put it out, it looks like nobody noticed the fire  for a long time even the guys by the nose of the jet. Very strange.
View Quote
I think that was the ground power plug that lit up, and the dripping stuff was melted burning plastic or rubber.

Now that you mentioned it, I've never worked on a jet or turboprop with smoke detection or fire suppression in the avionics compartments. Seems like a place where you'd want one.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:32:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By SteveOak:

View All Quotes

I've seen worse.

But yeah. If you evacuate, it's rarely organized

Cargo compartments do as well. I've even seen lavatory trash compartments with a rudimentary extinguishing system.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 1:45:58 PM EDT
[#13]
I've seen it mentioned multiple times now that it appears to be the ground power electrical plug.  Not sure why any ground personnel didn't pull it.   Another thing I noticed was the aircraft exterior lights remained illuminated throughout.   Up until the very end you can still the cabin lights are still "On".   Unsure of power source of interior lighting for emergency ground egress however.   But with that green wing light On also I wonder if the pilots didn't turn off all power including ground power?
From my days flying in the C-130 turning off all power was a specific requirement for ground egress.  Battery Switch "OFF"  Perhaps there's some nuance here with passengers and aircraft still at a Gate, etc.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 2:33:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Turtle556] [#14]

View Quote

Some airbuses have cargo fire suppression
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 3:25:36 PM EDT
[#15]

View Quote

And the lavatory trash receptacle on older airframes.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 5:46:16 PM EDT
[#16]
I've seen it mentioned multiple times now that it appears to be the ground power electrical plug.  Not sure why any ground personnel didn't pull it.   Another thing I noticed was the aircraft exterior lights remained illuminated throughout.   Up until the very end you can still the cabin lights are still "On".   Unsure of power source of interior lighting for emergency ground egress however.   But with that green wing light On also I wonder if the pilots didn't turn off all power including ground power?
From my days flying in the C-130 turning off all power was a specific requirement for ground egress.  Battery Switch "OFF"  Perhaps there's some nuance here with passengers and aircraft still at a Gate, etc.
View Quote
Probably still on APU power. I don't know Delta's policy on evacuating an aircraft, but I do know that cabin emergency lights don't light the way out as well as the regular cabin lights do.

Based on what I witnessed on the ramp, nothing in that video surprised me. The smart ones either don't work there anymore or they are afraid of getting in trouble for doing something that they weren't trained to do, and the rest will stand by until directed to do something.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 6:11:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SpiritZeroThree] [#17]
View Quote

Our egress lighting (along with a couple other things) is powered by a set of emergency batteries, so even in the event of total power loss pax can in theory see the way out. Wouldn’t surprise me if there was a similar arrangement on a Bus.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top