Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/12/2024 2:07:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Switchback_Arms]
I am currently a Virginia resident and I'm in Virginia and I have a bunch of guns.

I'll be leaving at the end of the month to drive to Massachusetts where I'll be for a month.

Then I'm going to New Hampshire, Maine and Vermont all for about a month each.

I can't have a firearm in Massachusetts, but I can have and carry one after Massachusetts.

I can't buy a handgun in a state that I'm not a resident of, but I could buy a rifle.

So my question is; is there a legal way to get one of my firearms to me after I leave Massachusetts?

My immediate family will be with me, I'll have extended family that has access to my firearms back in Virginia.

What say all you?

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 2:39:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tarheel7734] [#1]
No as all handguns being shipped across state lines must travel through ffl for the most part.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 3:02:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DogtownTom] [#2]
Originally Posted By Switchback_Arms:
So my question is; is there a legal way to get one of my firearms to me after I leave Massachusetts?
View Quote

It's legal to ship a firearm addressed to yourself at an address in another state. See May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity?
But.....while legal, there is no practical means to do so with a firearm other than a rifle or shotgun.
USPS regs allow anyone to mail a rifle or shotgun, but handguns are only mailable by licensed dealers and manufacturers and require a USPS Form 1508.
UPS and FedEx have prohibited shipment of any firearm to or from a nonlicensee for a couple of years. FFL's are required to enroll in their FFL Shipping program before shipping any firearm.

Violate USPS regs and its a felony.
Violate UPS/FedEx ploicy and it means they don't have to honor any claim for loss, damage, theft or if discovered that you violated their policy they don't have to deliver your firearm.

Understand that "shipping to yourself" means exactly that. You can't have another person drop it off at the post office as a favor.

****Are you an FFL? If so you can acquire any firearm in any state as a licensee.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 3:03:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By tarheel7734:
No as all handguns being shipped across state lines must travel through ffl for the most part.
View Quote

Not true as far as legality, but true as far as practicality.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 3:32:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tarheel7734] [#4]
Originally Posted By DogtownTom:

View Quote

Op could not have anyone ship to him out of state.. op would have had to ship it to himself legally and that's why I said no as there is no way op could have accomplished this with what op stated, not to mention all the restrictions the carriers have.. So for op post my statement was true. I just simplified it to be to the point.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 3:45:48 PM EDT
[#5]
When you arrive in New England pop across the border to NH and drop off whatever you have at a dealer....I'm sure they'll charge you some sort of storage fee, and once your finished up in Mass grab your items and your good to go.

Just bring em with you.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 4:01:09 PM EDT
[#6]

Op could not have anyone ship to him out of state.. op would have had to ship it to himself legally and that's why I said no as there is no way op could have accomplished this with what op stated, not to mention all the restrictions the carriers have.. So for op post my statement was true. I just simplified it to be to the point.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

No sir.

OP most certainly could LEGALLY ship a rifle or shotgun to himself at an address in another state via USPS.
OP hasn't left VA and can ship it tomorrow if he wants.

If he ships to:
Switchback Arms
C/O Random R. Dude
1234 Main St
Somewhere, TX

It can be held unopened until Switchback arrives to take possession.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 4:03:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Jmo371:
When you arrive in New England pop across the border to NH and drop off whatever you have at a dealer....I'm sure they'll charge you some sort of storage fee, and once your finished up in Mass grab your items and your good to go.

Just bring em with you.
View Quote

It doesn't work that way.
If the dealer takes possession then it will take a 4473/NICS to retrieve his firearm. If its a handgun it would have to be transferred to an FFL in the OP's state.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 4:11:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tarheel7734] [#8]

No sir.

OP most certainly could LEGALLY ship a rifle or shotgun to himself at an address in another state via USPS.
OP hasn't left VA and can ship it tomorrow if he wants.

If he ships to:
Switchback Arms
C/O Random R. Dude
1234 Main St
Somewhere, TX

View Quote

Holy fuck fuck dude. I did not ever say op could not legally ship a rifle or shotgun to himself. For fucks sake.

No go back and look at the damn time frame op is talking about as well as op was also talking about handguns.. Jesus christ you people either don't comprehend English or just thick headed..

Law is, op has to personally ship from his current location to his receiving l9cation and op has to be present to receive the firearm as No one else can accept or receive it..

Op said that they had to travel from current location to a state where firearms not possible then eventually to a state where firearms are possible.. Now for rifles if he were able to time it then it would be possible, but most likely it might be difficult with the time in the No gun state and that's only for rifles and shotguns..

Now op mentioned carrying and handguns as he could purchase a rifle out of state.. common sense would lead an intelligent person to deduce that op wants to ship and carry a handgun on or about his person as op clearly mentions not being able to purchase a handgun..

N
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 4:24:47 PM EDT
[#9]

If the dealer takes possession then it will take a 4473/NICS to retrieve his firearm. If its a handgun it would have to be transferred to an FFL in the OP's state.
View Quote

Sounds like the OP could make some friends in NH or Me and they could hold onto a couple things for him for a month.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 4:31:54 PM EDT
[#10]

Sounds like the OP could make some friends in NH or Me and they could hold onto a couple things for him for a month.
View Quote

This would probably be the best option..
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:42:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DogtownTom] [#11]

Holy fuck fuck dude. I did not ever say op could not legally ship a rifle or shotgun to himself. For fucks sake.
View All Quotes

You wrote:"Originally Posted By tarheel7734:No as all handguns being shipped across state lines must travel through ffl for the most part."
That isn't true. Period. "Must" has a meaning. No law requires an FFL when shipping your own handgun TO YOURSELF at an address in another state.

No go back and look at the damn time frame op is talking about as well as op was also talking about handguns.. Jesus christ you people either don't comprehend English or just thick headed..

I'm not the one inventing imaginary federal laws bub.

Law is, op has to personally ship from his current location to his receiving l9cation and op has to be present to receive the firearm as No one else can accept or receive it..

Horseshit.
You would think posting the ATF FAQ response would be a clue, but apparent;y it wasn't.
Here it is again. Before you get to digging your hole of derp deeper, you should do some reading.
May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity?
Yes. A person may ship a firearm to him or herself in care of another person in the state where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner “in the care of” the out–of–state resident. Upon reaching its destination, persons other than the owner may not open the package or take possession of the firearm.

See anything in there about OP needing to be present to receive it? No, you fucking don't because that isn't required and never has been. You can ship your firearm to Cousin Eddy, tell him not to open the box, and when you get there in 87 days YOU open the box. Its legal and just that easy.

Op said that they had to travel from current location to a state where firearms not possible then eventually to a state where firearms are possible.. Now for rifles if he were able to time it then it would be possible, but most likely it might be difficult with the time in the No gun state and that's only for rifles and shotguns..

The legalities don't change as to the lawfullness of shipping your own firearm to yourself.
The issue is one of abiding by the carriers shipping policies.

Now op mentioned carrying and handguns as he could purchase a rifle out of state.. common sense would lead an intelligent person to deduce that op wants to ship and carry a handgun on or about his person as op clearly mentions not being able to purchase a handgun..

"Deduce"? Is that what you did?
When the OP clearly asked "So my question is; is there a legal way to get one of my firearms to me after I leave Massachusetts?" I answered his question. You didn't, giving some bullshit that was not only vague but incorrect, then getting butthurt because I brought the receipts.

Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:42:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DogtownTom] [#12]

View All Quotes

Yup....if he ships it to that address in NH or ME, addressed as noted above.

But "hold onto" doesn't mean the OP could stop at an out of state friends home, leave his firearms, then continue his journey. That wouldn't meet the shipping exception.
Dropping off guns at a friends house in another state is a transfer of possession and violates federal law.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:49:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DogtownTom] [#13]

View All Quotes

Well, which is it? This answer or the one twenty minutes before where you posted:
Originally Posted By tarheel7734:....Law is, op has to personally ship from his current location to his receiving l9cation and op has to be present to receive the firearm as No one else can accept or receive it..

Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:55:12 PM EDT
[#14]

You wrote:"Originally Posted By tarheel7734:No as all handguns being shipped across state lines must travel through ffl for the most part."
That isn't true. Period. "Must" has a meaning. No law requires an FFL when shipping your own handgun TO YOURSELF at an address in another state.

I'm not the one inventing imaginary federal laws bub.

Horseshit.
You would think posting the ATF FAQ response would be a clue, but apparent;y it wasn't.
Here it is again. Before you get to digging your hole of derp deeper, you should do some reading.

See anything in there about OP needing to be present to receive it? No, you fucking don't because that isn't required and never has been. You can ship your firearm to Cousin Eddy, tell him not to open the box, and when you get there in 87 days YOU open the box. Its legal and just that easy.

The legalities don't change as to the lawfullness of shipping your own firearm to yourself.
The issue is one of abiding by the carriers shipping policies.

"Deduce"? Is that what you did?
When the OP clearly asked "So my question is; is there a legal way to get one of my firearms to me after I leave Massachusetts?" I answered his question. You didn't, giving some bullshit that was not only vague but incorrect, then getting butthurt because I brought the receipts.

View Quote

Receiving the firearm is having possession of it. Atf answer is vague and states possession of firearm. Not hard to understand.. Majority of attorneys agree with that..

Keep telling yourself you are right and keep believing it.. everything I stated was correct. Especially about reading comprehension and handguns. You are buthurtt and lashing out  because you no comprehend English so you are trying to skew it..
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:56:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tarheel7734] [#15]

Well, which is it? This answer or the one twenty minutes before where you posted:

View Quote

Still not bright.. ie make friends.. stop on way to state and drop of weapons personally.. damn use your fcking brain and stop trying to think you are smarter than everyone else and right. Ffs..

Damn I was born TX and spent a shit ton of time there. Used to think highly of Texans till I moved. Now I realize how many really are..
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:59:58 PM EDT
[#16]

Receiving the firearm is having possession of it. Atf answer is vague and states possession of firearm. Not hard to understand.. Majority of attorneys agree with that..
View All Quotes

You should write a letter to ATF and tell them they are wrong and you are right.

Keep telling yourself you are right

I just quoted ATF FAQ's and regs.

and keep believing it.. everything I stated was correct.

No sir, you stated factual horseshit.

Especially about reading comprehension and handguns. You are buthurtt and lashing out  because you no comprehend English so you are trying to skew it..

Says the guy who can't spell butthurt.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:08:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DogtownTom] [#17]

Still not bright.. ie make friends.. stop on way to state and drop of weapons personally.. damn use your fcking brain and stop trying to think you are smarter than everyone else and right. Ffs..
View All Quotes

Which is an illegal transfer of firearms Einstein. OP asked about LEGALITY. You keep giving him advice that results in multiple felonies.

Damn I was born TX and spent a shit ton of time there. Used to think highly of Texans till I moved. Now I realize how many really are..

Me living in Texas has nothing to do with anything.
Me being an FFL for fifteen years does. It means I take the time to read the regs.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:20:09 PM EDT
[#18]

You should write a letter to ATF and tell them they are wrong and you are right.

I just quoted ATF FAQ's and regs.

No sir, you stated factual horseshit.

Says the guy who can't spell butthurt.
View Quote

And atf clearly states possession of the firearm. When the mail or ups arrives you must take possession of said package and said firearm whether you open it or not.. not hard to understand..
Attachment Attached File

1st legal definition of possession.
Actual possession, also called possession in fact, is used to describe immediate physical contact. This case from New York, explains that “actual possession is what most of us think of as possession—that is, having physical custody or control of an object.”

Thus receiving the firearm in the mail or by carrier is possession of the firearm..

Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:23:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tarheel7734] [#19]

Which is an illegal transfer of firearms Einstein. OP asked about LEGALITY. You keep giving him advice that results in multiple felonies.

Me living in Texas has nothing to do with anything.
Me being an FFL for fifteen years does. It means I take the time to read the regs.
View Quote

Loaning a firearm is not illegal transfer of a firearm and legal by federal law..

Federal Law: Under federal law, an individual may loan or rent a firearm to a resident of any state for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes, if they do not know or have reasonable cause to believe the person is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under federal law.

So keep trying to be smarter and being wrong..the op carries the firearm with them via their ccw and the firearm is in state legally. Just as op could leave the firearm there if they were staying with friends..

If op was selling it or a permanent gift then yes it have to go through an ffl.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:29:22 PM EDT
[#20]

It's legal to ship a firearm addressed to yourself at an address in another state. See May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity?
But.....while legal, there is no practical means to do so with a firearm other than a rifle or shotgun.
USPS regs allow anyone to mail a rifle or shotgun, but handguns are only mailable by licensed dealers and manufacturers and require a USPS Form 1508.
UPS and FedEx have prohibited shipment of any firearm to or from a nonlicensee for a couple of years. FFL's are required to enroll in their FFL Shipping program before shipping any firearm.

Violate USPS regs and its a felony.
Violate UPS/FedEx ploicy and it means they don't have to honor any claim for loss, damage, theft or if discovered that you violated their policy they don't have to deliver your firearm.

Understand that "shipping to yourself" means exactly that. You can't have another person drop it off at the post office as a favor.

****Are you an FFL? If so you can acquire any firearm in any state as a licensee.
View Quote

Re: the bolded assertion above.

What if the firearm owner (and recipient) purchases a label and addresses it to and from themselves?

This is similar to what some firearm manufacturers do for individuals to return firearms for warranty work.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:33:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By wookie1562:

What if the firearm owner (and recipient) purchases a label and addresses it to and from themselves?

This is similar to what some firearm manufacturers do for individuals to return firearms for warranty work.
View Quote

Warranty work is different and firearms manufacturers have an ffl. Problem comes in to possession. The person addressed to still has to take possession of said firearm when it's delivered.. The firearm is of course being delivered to the persons home of record or residence.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:38:06 PM EDT
[#22]

And atf clearly states possession of the firearm. When the mail or ups arrives you must take possession of said package and said firearm whether you open it or not.. not hard to understand..
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/380981/1000006259_jpg-3212943.JPG

1st legal definition of possession.
Actual possession, also called possession in fact, is used to describe immediate physical contact. This case from New York, explains that “actual possession is what most of us think of as possession—that is, having physical custody or control of an object.”

Thus receiving the firearm in the mail or by carrier is possession of the firearm..

View Quote

Sigh.
I tell you what, get your FFL. Read some ATF regs. Develop an understanding of the difference between "lawful possession of a firearm" vs "simple possession" and then get back to us. You can be holding a firearm in your hands and not be in lawful possession.

One day you'll realize that thousands of Americans ship firearm to out of state guide services and outfitters every year........lawfully. Thats because, for the purposes of federal firearms law, a gun owner that ships his own gun to an address out of state, addressed to himself.....is not an illegal transfer of a firearm under federal law. It's been that way for decades my friend. DECADES.

Again, you should write a letter to ATF telling them they've been doing it wrong since 1968. For nearly seventy years ATF has held that it is perfectly legal to ship a firearm to yourself.

And you disagree.
Attachment Attached File

What makes you look like a blithering idiot is your assertion that ATF is wrong on that shipping FAQ, but then you say it legal to  "ie make friends.. stop on way to state and drop of weapons personally..".
Thats dumb fucking unbelievable. That advice would cause the OP to commit a federal crime and the out of state friend to commit one as well.

Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:43:07 PM EDT
[#23]

Sigh.
I tell you what, get your FFL. Read some ATF regs. Develop an understanding of the difference between "lawful possession of a firearm" vs "simple possession" and then get back to us. You can be holding a firearm in your hands and not be in lawful possession.

One day you'll realize that thousands of Americans ship firearm to out of state guide services and outfitters every year........lawfully. Thats because, for the purposes of federal firearms law, a gun owner that ships his own gun to an address out of state, addressed to himself.....is not an illegal transfer of a firearm under federal law. It's been that way for decades my friend. DECADES.

Again, you should write a letter to ATF telling them they've been doing it wrong since 1968. For nearly seventy years ATF has held that it is perfectly legal to ship a firearm to yourself.

And you disagree.
/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/subnetfavoritelol-1033.gif

What makes you look like a blithering idiot is your assertion that ATF is wrong on that shipping FAQ, but then you say it legal to  "ie make friends.. stop on way to state and drop of weapons personally..".
Thats dumb fucking unbelievable. That advice would cause the OP to commit a federal crime and the out of state friend to commit one as well.

View Quote

Plenty of people are serving prison sentences for your so called simple possession vs lawful possession.. That's OK I'm done replying..
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:45:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DogtownTom] [#24]

Loaning a firearm is not illegal transfer of a firearm and legal by federal law..
View All Quotes

No sir, the TEMPORARY LOAN of a firearm is not an illegal transfer.

Federal Law: Under federal law, an individual may loan or rent a firearm to a resident of any state for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes, if they do not know or have reasonable cause to believe the person is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under federal law.

No shit Sherlock.
At this point I really feel embarrassed for you. OP is NOT loaning the firearm for temporary "sporting purposes". You might want to check up on what that term means.

So keep trying to be smarter and being wrong..the op carries the firearm with them via their ccw and the firearm is in state legally. Just as op could leave the firearm there if they were staying with friends..

A CCW has fuck all to do with anything.
Think for a minute why ATF tells you your shipment must not be opened by anyone but the owner.

If op was selling it or a permanent gift then yes it have to go through an ffl.

No sir. Again, you fail.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:50:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Just buy one on the street
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:53:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DogtownTom] [#26]

View All Quotes

That's exactly what ATF says to do "the package should be addressed to the owner “in the care of” the out–of–state resident..."
As in:
Switchback Arms
C/O Random R. Dude
1234 Main St
Somewhere, TX

Federal law allows for the direct return of a repaired or replacement firearm of the same kind or type to the person who sent it out for repair.  

Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:55:40 PM EDT
[#27]
No sir. Again, you fail.
View Quote

Lmao. You can not sell and ship a handgun or sell a handgun to someone in a different state without a ffl involved.. Again this is where reading works well with the op original.

Again you are trying to prove you are right with your bs without revelance to the original op..
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:56:23 PM EDT
[#28]

Plenty of people are serving prison sentences for your so called simple possession vs lawful possession.. That's OK I'm done replying..
View Quote

Name one case where someone followed ATF FAQ on shipping to themselves and went to prison. Just one. Shouldn't be difficult.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:56:59 PM EDT
[#29]

Warranty work is different and firearms manufacturers have an ffl. Problem comes in to possession. The person addressed to still has to take possession of said firearm when it's delivered.. The firearm is of course being delivered to the persons home of record or residence.
View All Quotes

Right, they do have an FFL, but with that example an unlicensed person can walk directly into fedex and put a handgun in transit. I can't recall if it was USPS or ATF but recently read another specific approved example of a hunter mailing their firearm ahead for a hunting trip. They should address it to themselves and under their name write "in care of" if it will be handled by someone else (like a hunting lodge or friend).

A rifle or shotgun owned by a non-FFL may be mailed outside the owner's state of residence by the owner to himself or herself, in care of another person in the other state where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. These mailpieces must:
Be addressed to the owner.
Include the "in the care of" endorsement immediately preceding the name of the applicable temporary custodian.
Be opened by the rifle or shotgun owner only.
Be mailed using a class of mail, product, or Extra Service that provides tracking and signature capture at delivery.
https://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c4_009.htm#:~:text=A%20rifle%20or%20shotgun%20owned,Be%20addressed%20to%20the%20owner

I'm not an attorney but I do believe that if someone generates and pays for a shipping label to mail a long gun to and from themselves, that it doesn't much matter who drops it off or picks it up. OP should be able to mail ahead a long gun via USPS at minimum.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:59:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DogtownTom] [#30]

Lmao. You can not sell and ship a handgun or sell a handgun to someone in a different state without a ffl involved.
View All Quotes

Lmao. You can not sell and ship a handgun or sell a handgun to someone in a different state without a ffl involved.

But thats not what the OP is doing. He's shipping to himself, you say he cannot.
Yet ATF disagrees with you.

Again this is where reading works well with the op original.

I'm not the one that can't understand what ATF has written.

Again you are trying to prove you are right with your bs without revelance to the original op..

Yet you have wholly and completely failed to provide any ATF regulation or federal law that disagrees with the ATF FAQ.

Link Posted: 5/18/2024 8:48:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 545days] [#31]
In many years of reading DogtownTom's posts on Arfcom, I have never once seen him post anything about ATF regulations or interpretations that wasn't correct.

This thread is no exception.

@DogtownTom  
Keep up the good work and don't follow in the footsteps of the many experts in their field who have given up on giving accurate advice here on Arfcom because they keep getting shouted down by random internet "experts" spouting incorrect information.
Top Top