Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/15/2024 7:19:34 PM EDT
I have some teak decking squares that were originally manufactured and sold by Smith & Hawken (which is no longer in business).

Each square is about 18" on a side. They are intended to be joined together to make a decking surface that can be used (for example) on top of a patio.

The decking squares come with some stainless steel clips and some stainless steel wood screws - however it's not immediately clear to me how those are intended to be used together in order to join the decking squares. Inasmuch as I don't see a way to use the wood screws with the clips, perhaps the screws are supposed to be an alternative attachment method to using the stainless steel clips - but perhaps I'm missing something.

Here is a photo showing the top side of two squares placed next to each other:

Attachment Attached File

And here is a photo showing the underside of a square, along with some of the clips and screws:

Attachment Attached File

Here is another photo showing more clips and screws:

Attachment Attached File

And this is an image purporting to show how easy it is to join the squares together - it is a fuzzy screen capture from this catalog:

https://sweets.construction.com/swts_content_files/1293/E781403.pdf

Attachment Attached File

From that image, it looks like they are using two clips per side of a square to join them - without using screws.

The wording that accompanies that image is as follows:

Teak Decking

Our teak decking has been specified for a greater variety
of settings than any other furnishing we offer. The 18"
square slatted panels link via concealed stainless-steel
hardware, creating an ultra-stable platform for outdoor
dining, entertaining, dancing and special events.
Constructed entirely from teak, it also suits damp locales,
such as locker rooms, bathrooms, commercial foyers and
restaurant kitchens. It can easily be laid over an existing
flooring material and sets up quickly on any flat surface,
even crushed stone. Can be mounted permanently or set
up and broken down as needed. Squares may also be
used individually to form a pathway or steps up a slope.

Deck Kit (Set of 24 Panels, 6' x 9' Total) 761734

Deck Squares (Set of 4 Panels, 3' x 3' Total) 761726

E A SY TO A S S E M B L E

18" square panels slot together using stainless-steel clips
to form a stable, flat platform, floor covering or pathway.
Versatile enough to be used for permanent or temporary
installation. Hardware included.

So - has anyone actually worked with this teak decking?

Do you agree with my assumption that the screws are provided as a more permanent alternative to using the clips to join the squares? If so, how would you likely use those screws? Vertically, to attach the squares to some substrate? Horizontally (or at an angle), from the top, to join one square to another? Something else?

Link Posted: 5/16/2024 8:55:15 AM EDT
[#1]
It appears to me that the screws hold the clips to the substrate and the squares snap into the clips...but I'm going by the provided information, I don't actually know anything about that product.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 9:48:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: targetworks] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SigOwner_P229:
It appears to me that the screws hold the clips to the substrate and the squares snap into the clips...but I'm going by the provided information, I don't actually know anything about that product.
View Quote

Yes, thanks, that's probably how it is intended to work.

The reason why I initially doubted that is because the location of the hole in the clips is half-covered by the edge of each square - such that you could not put down a square with the clips and then screw in the screw, rather you would need to either preplan the screw locations fairly precisely and screw down the clips (which seems like it would be too prone to failure), or, more likely, go one square at a time, put the clips in place, and somehow hold them in place so that they don't move, lift up the edge of the square, and screw down the clip, then tilt the square back down and snap into place.

Maybe even with half of the hole in the clip being covered up by the edge of the square, there would be enough of the hole that remains uncovered to permit marking the location for screwing in the screw (but I don't think that you could properly start the screw while the square is laying down in place within the clip). Or maybe you could just put down a square without the clips, mark the intended clip screw hole locations, remove the square, drill pilot holes at those marked locations and then screw down the clips, then put the square into the clips.

Seems like either way it would be prone to clip positioning errors, which would inevitably result in misalignments occurring. The clip edges presumably have some 'springiness' or 'give' to them, and so perhaps that means that precise alignment is not necessary (within certain limits, anyway). You'd be constantly juggling the positions of four clips at a time, which could become a chore.

[This must be the answer] Then again, maybe the 'springiness' means that you could put down a square with clips, apply enough lateral pressure to each clip to expose the full hole (putting the covered edge of the clip under some tension), screw in the clip, and rely on the 'springiness' of the other side of the clip to hold the next square in place even if the clip is offset slightly in that fashion. I will have to make some measurements or do an experiment or two - maybe indeed that is the way that they are intended to be installed, with the 'springiness' of the clip edges designed with sufficient tolerances to handle that kind of offset.

There must be an easier way, you'd think...

Link Posted: 5/20/2024 9:53:51 AM EDT
[#3]
I think I would start by laying out one course of squares "dry", and marking the outer corners of the leading edge. Snap a chalk lie between the marks and center your clips on that line. Lay your first course in the clips, clip the second course in, mark the leading edge corners, snap another line, install more clips. Rinse and repeat.
Trying to screw the clips down in the process of laying the squares would be a huge pain in the ass.
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 7:13:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By SigOwner_P229:
View Quote

Yeah that's pretty clear from those instructions.
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 8:27:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By targetworks:

Yes, thanks, that's probably how it is intended to work.

The reason why I initially doubted that is because the location of the hole in the clips is half-covered by the edge of each square - such that you could not put down a square with the clips and then screw in the screw, rather you would need to either preplan the screw locations fairly precisely and screw down the clips (which seems like it would be too prone to failure), or, more likely, go one square at a time, put the clips in place, and somehow hold them in place so that they don't move, lift up the edge of the square, and screw down the clip, then tilt the square back down and snap into place.

Maybe even with half of the hole in the clip being covered up by the edge of the square, there would be enough of the hole that remains uncovered to permit marking the location for screwing in the screw (but I don't think that you could properly start the screw while the square is laying down in place within the clip). Or maybe you could just put down a square without the clips, mark the intended clip screw hole locations, remove the square, drill pilot holes at those marked locations and then screw down the clips, then put the square into the clips.

Seems like either way it would be prone to clip positioning errors, which would inevitably result in misalignments occurring. The clip edges presumably have some 'springiness' or 'give' to them, and so perhaps that means that precise alignment is not necessary (within certain limits, anyway). You'd be constantly juggling the positions of four clips at a time, which could become a chore.

[This must be the answer] Then again, maybe the 'springiness' means that you could put down a square with clips, apply enough lateral pressure to each clip to expose the full hole (putting the covered edge of the clip under some tension), screw in the clip, and rely on the 'springiness' of the other side of the clip to hold the next square in place even if the clip is offset slightly in that fashion. I will have to make some measurements or do an experiment or two - maybe indeed that is the way that they are intended to be installed, with the 'springiness' of the clip edges designed with sufficient tolerances to handle that kind of offset.

There must be an easier way, you'd think...

View Quote

You got it.  Explains why they are no longer in business too.

I’d predrill between the top slats and screw the flat panel to your substrate
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top