Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Posted: 5/12/2024 9:11:22 PM EDT
Our mixed Doberman/Corgi (Dorgi) is 12 and went to the vet for swollen lymph nodes - 2 at the neck and 1 of 2 in her legs.

Blood was clear of infections, but I agreed to biopsy and found out that there was lymphona in 1 of the nodes.

The new vet I use is not as much of a hustling used car type as the old vet.  

The new vet recommends going to a K9 oncologist. In looking at the cost, this is not an option for our family.

No suggestions for pallative care, "bring her back when she needs to be put down" is about all I got.

What are my best options for pallative care? I saw some recommendations for high protein and some steroids.

Other than being somewhat more tired than my other dog, there's no obvious pain or misery (yet).
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:36:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rodent] [#1]
Personally I would not put an old dog through chemo whether or not money is a factor.

I think your vet is right - just bring her back when she tells you she is no longer enjoying life.

Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:56:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GlutealCleft] [#2]
Steroids will temporarily shrink some types of tumors, but only temporarily. And in the cases in my animals that it's worked, when it stops, the tumors seem to really hit hard and FAST.

My advice... Start the steroids, and also pick a day in the near future, and schedule with an at-home vet.  Ideally, before the cancer gets really bad.  Sure, it may be a week or two too "early", but I don't see the reason in letting it get bad first.  It might be a little harder on the family to let go when they're not suffering yet, but it's far kinder on the dog.

Link Posted: 5/13/2024 5:21:39 PM EDT
[#3]
I agree with the mention of using an in-home vet. We had to deal with lymphoma a year ago. 12 year old ridgeback. She developed a cough and for a month it continued to get worse. When it got to where she was having a coughing fit every 30 min, we took her to an emergency vet. It was a long visit but they finally determined she had fluid in her chest cavity, drew out 3L . She seemed fine after that but within a week it was back to the very frequent coughing fits. Had the in-home vet come and do the deed.

Brings a tear to my eyes typing this. She was the best dog, I wish our two now were as good (in time...). Hindsight: we waited too long but she hid her ailment so well, it was hard to know.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 5:24:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Cantshootstrate:
Our mixed Doberman/Corgi (Dorgi) is 12 and went to the vet for swollen lymph nodes - 2 at the neck and 1 of 2 in her legs.

Blood was clear of infections, but I agreed to biopsy and found out that there was lymphona in 1 of the nodes.

The new vet I use is not as much of a hustling used car type as the old vet.  

The new vet recommends going to a K9 oncologist. In looking at the cost, this is not an option for our family.

No suggestions for pallative care, "bring her back when she needs to be put down" is about all I got.

What are my best options for pallative care? I saw some recommendations for high protein and some steroids.

Other than being somewhat more tired than my other dog, there's no obvious pain or misery (yet).
View Quote

Sorry about your goodest Girl Cantshootstrate, chokes me up even reading this...

I have two large dogs, both of them have gotten into something and we had to rush them to the Doggy Hospital in St. Louis, for a weeks stay. Each stay costs me 2500+...

We try our best to keep anything up out of dog reach, but sometimes you let your guard down and they are they to grab something.

Their latest thing is to grab something, anything they can get, run out the back doggy door, then under their ""Treasure Tree" they decide to eat it, shred it, bury it, or leave it lay.  They both know that they are guilty of too.  If you bring something in and in a nice voice ask who had it, the guilty party heads to hide behind the couch in the living room.

They annoy the shit outta me, but I love them like my own kids.

Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top