Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 5/14/2024 10:35:16 AM EDT
The GSD is indisputably the dog of choice for ARF. In the past the Tacoma has held the same throne for trucks. Is this still the case in 2024?

Options:
New Tacoma (used ones are just as expensive as new ones)
Used Frontier (new they are just as expensive as Tacoma's but depreciate faster so low mileage used is an option)
Used Gladiator (like the Nissan these depreciate decently so used is an affordable option...wife likes this truck, I think they're ugly)
Is there another truck I should be seriously looking at?

No intention to ever resell. I'll keep for life or give to kids if I get tired of it.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 10:38:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Spent about two weeks in a ‘23 Frontier Pro-4x

Seemed to be a solid little truck. Interior seemed better put together than the ‘24 Tundra I had after it.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 10:41:07 AM EDT
[#2]
4.0 in a Tacoma is bulletproof.  Trans is just as good.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 10:41:08 AM EDT
[#3]
For basic off road, get an previous Tacoma. For comfortable dual use, something else?
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 10:43:07 AM EDT
[#4]
I like the looks of the GMC Canyon in AT4 trim
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 10:45:05 AM EDT
[#5]
The new generation Tacomas are thin on the ground and completely unproven. They just started shipping a couple months ago, and they're an all new truck complete with a new engine and transmission. Initial reviews are good, though.

The third gen trucks (2016-2023) are reliable, but the transmission behaves poorly in some highway driving situations.

The Frontier is the safest bet of the current production midsize trucks.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 10:46:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By walther1978:
4.0 in a Tacoma is bulletproof.  Trans is just as good.
View Quote

4.0L Tacomas haven't been built in about a decade.

4.0L 4Runners are still in production... for the next few months.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 10:47:01 AM EDT
[#7]
It’s too early to tell if the Tacoma is still king with an unproven powertrain. People like you bought them to use them for 200K miles plus across multiple generations. What I can tell you is the new ones are not a bargain or value priced.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 10:47:15 AM EDT
[#8]
I just bought a 2024 GMC Canyon AT4. It is my second Canyon. First one made eight years, never in the shop, 70K miles on it PLUS 60K towed miles. The new one is MUCH nicer in all areas. About 6-7% larger. Interior is great. Corners like a sports car. I like it. Oh... price was nice too.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 10:47:25 AM EDT
[#9]
New Tacomas have a turbocharged four cylinder engine and is made in Mexico.   Research carefully but I would not buy it.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 10:50:00 AM EDT
[#10]
My FIL has had Taco’s for the last 20 years. Every time get into my F150, he always says there’s so much room in it and that it rides better than his Toyota. Every time I get into his truck I always feel like a giant.

I don’t understand the love for the Tacomas.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 10:50:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By ThEWayOftheGUn1:
It’s too early to tell if the Tacoma is still king with an unproven powertrain. People like you bought them to use them for 200K miles plus across multiple generations. What I can tell you is the new ones are not a bargain or value priced.
View Quote

What new truck is?
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 10:51:10 AM EDT
[#12]
F350 7.3 Tremor
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 10:51:19 AM EDT
[#13]
It really depends what you want to do with it.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 10:51:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11boomboom] [#14]
Originally Posted By mooreshawnm:
The GSD is indisputably the dog of choice for ARF. In the past the Tacoma has held the same throne for trucks. Is this still the case in 2024?

Options:
New Tacoma (used ones are just as expensive as new ones)
Used Frontier (new they are just as expensive as Tacoma's but depreciate faster so low mileage used is an option)
Used Gladiator (like the Nissan these depreciate decently so used is an affordable option...wife likes this truck, I think they're ugly)
Is there another truck I should be seriously looking at?

No intention to ever resell. I'll keep for life or give to kids if I get tired of it.
View Quote

I vote used Frontier. It'll have less issues than the Gladiator and be more comfortable as a DD.

Originally Posted By Badlatitude:
It really depends what you want to do with it.
View Quote

This is the real question. Are you (OP) going to use it like a truck, or a car shaped like a truck?
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 10:52:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Pretty sure it was never king.   Popular, sure.  But King?  No.  Ill stick with an actual full size truck.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 10:53:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By bradbradbrad:
I like the looks of the GMC Canyon in AT4 trim
View Quote

Looks, just like Chrome don't get ya home. Every GM I ever drove was a complete smoking pile of shit. These were both company and private vehicles which were maintained better than required.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 10:54:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By 11boomboom:

I vote used Frontier. It'll have less issues than the Gladiator and be more comfortable as a DD.

This is the real question. Are you (OP) going to use it like a truck, or a car shaped like a truck?
View Quote

A truck. We have cars.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 10:57:07 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By AmericanPeople:
New Tacomas have a turbocharged four cylinder engine and is made in Mexico.   Research carefully but I would not buy it.
View Quote

The Tacoma has been Hecho en Mexico since 2010, and it hasn't really been a problem.

Other vehicles built there include GM's half tons, the Ram HD pickups, and a large share of the VW/Audi products sold here. I don't like it, but it is what it is.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 10:58:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11boomboom] [#19]

A truck. We have cars.
View Quote

I still vote Frontier. It has good enough stats for a light duty pickup and a history of being pretty reliable and cheap to maintain.

I'm a Tacoma guy, so take that for what it's worth.

ETA: A 2009-2010 Tacoma TRD Off-road short bed 4-door is about the perfect Tacoma for a DD 4x4 pickup, IMO. Before the implementation of the air pump that is expensive to repair and before the switch to a limited slip. The early 2nd gen Tacoma TRD had an actual electronic rear locker versus a brake-actuated "locking" rear end.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:01:02 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By GenYRevolverGuy:

What new truck is?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

What new truck is?

When you purchased a previous Gen Tacoma, even if it was priced similarly to its competitors, you knew that you were probably going to get 200K miles or more with basic maintenance. I would say that is Value....but that’s just me.

Maybe this one turns out to be great, who knows. Op if you buy the Taco, update us in ten years. I should be hear to listen, God willing.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:05:45 AM EDT
[#21]

When you purchased a previous Gen Tacoma, even if it was priced similarly to its competitors, you knew that you were probably going to get 200K miles or more with basic maintenance. I would say that is Value....but that’s just me.

Maybe this one turns out to be great, who knows. Op if you buy the Taco, update us in ten years. I should be hear to listen, God willing.
View Quote

Anecdotal, but I DD a 2009 Tacoma TRD Off-road that I've owned for 9 years. It has 193k miles on it and the only things I've had to replace is the clutch master cylinder (known TSB of dead or light clutch pedal in freezing conditions) and blower motor (was making squeaking noise).
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:08:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GenYRevolverGuy] [#22]
Originally Posted By CanaryCamaro:
My FIL has had Taco’s for the last 20 years. Every time get into my F150, he always says there’s so much room in it and that it rides better than his Toyota. Every time I get into his truck I always feel like a giant.

View Quote

Well, when the F-150 starts crapping cam phasers, IWEs, and water pumps, and when the annoying dumb stuff happens like door latches freezing open, steering wheel radio buttons fail, and the fuel door flaps loosely, a same year Tacoma keeps on going with little to no problems.

Obviously, there are trade offs and other things to think about, but generally speaking, the Tacoma ownership experience has been better than the F-150 ownership experience since forever. The F-150 is nicer to live with when it works, but that can be a pretty big caveat depending upon which engine you bought in which year.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:11:22 AM EDT
[#23]
We just bought my wife a 2021 Explorer to replace her 2015 F150.  We looked BRIEFLY at a Tacoma before we realized the back seat was an absolute joke and walked away.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:17:17 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By DernHumpus:
We just bought my wife a 2021 Explorer to replace her 2015 F150.  We looked BRIEFLY at a Tacoma before we realized the back seat was an absolute joke and walked away.
View Quote

The back seat is a major downside of the entire midsize class with the exception of the Ridgeline.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:20:34 AM EDT
[#25]

The back seat is a major downside of the entire midsize class with the exception of the Ridgeline.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:25:29 AM EDT
[#26]

The Tacoma has been Hecho en Mexico since 2010, and it hasn't really been a problem.

Other vehicles built there include GM's half tons, the Ram HD pickups, and a large share of the VW/Audi products sold here. I don't like it, but it is what it is.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AmericanPeople:

My Tacoma was made in Texas
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:28:07 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Tactical_Jew:

My Tacoma was made in Texas
View Quote

Same.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:29:05 AM EDT
[#28]
Daughter has a 2015 Tacoma. Nice little truck, but too small for me at 6'2". Much prefer a full size truck.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:30:28 AM EDT
[#29]
Never Nissan.
Never American. (Sorry, not sorry)

That leaves Toyota or Honda, at least to me. Honda is ghey, so just Toyota
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:31:40 AM EDT
[#30]

View Quote

You will when your stuff starts breaking or you try to go offroad.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:33:40 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By cmc201:
Daughter has a 2015 Tacoma. Nice little truck, but too small for me at 6'2". Much prefer a full size truck.
View Quote

I’m 6’4” and no issues. Have driven it cross country 3x to my house in Sevirville, Tn
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:35:17 AM EDT
[#32]
It never was, lol.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:36:05 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By _Nataraja_:

View Quote

If I’m gonna off-road, something has gone seriously wrong
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:44:05 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By _Nataraja_:

View Quote

Trucks aren't great for offroading.

The end of driveshaft #1
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:45:44 AM EDT
[#35]
If the bed is less than 8 feet long....sorry you don't have a truck.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:48:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11boomboom] [#36]
Originally Posted By Ulster:
View Quote

What if you have a standard bed F150?

Just asking because my Tacoma's bed is longer than the shortest F150 bed.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:50:41 AM EDT
[#37]

View All Quotes

So if I'm taller than the shortest guy in the room....does that make me tall?  
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:53:37 AM EDT
[#38]

View Quote
yea, I looked in a Gladiator parked next to it and it was even more laughable.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:54:03 AM EDT
[#39]
Goddamn Powerwagon man! Tacoma......What the hell...
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:55:11 AM EDT
[#40]

So if I'm taller than the shortest guy in the room....does that make me tall?  
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:55:27 AM EDT
[#41]

View Quote

Poverty is the only lens I can see a Tacoma looking good through.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:56:56 AM EDT
[#42]
I loved my Tacoma, but it didn't get any better MPH than half ton trucks so I've been in F150's ever since.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 12:02:27 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Homernomer:

Poverty is the only lens I can see a Tacoma looking good through.
View Quote

MSRP Tacoma $31,500 - $52,100
MSRP Canyon $36,000 - $54,300
MSRP Colorado $29,500 - $46,800
MSRP Maverick $23,815 - $34,855
MSRP Ranger $32,670 - $55,470
MSRP Frontier $30,030 - $42,900
MSRP Gladiator $37,895 - $52,995

Source cars.usnews.com
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 12:05:45 PM EDT
[#44]
Bought my Texas made Tacoma new in 2018. The V6 has enough power, and the transmission got a lot better after a couple thousand miles.

Was planning on a lift and bigger tires, but I travel a lot, and it handles well, and gets decent gas mileage the way it is.

Link Posted: 5/14/2024 12:08:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Blackmore] [#45]
Depends on how tall you are. I'm 6'5" and "tried on" a friend's Tacoma. No way would I fit well enough to buy one. Meanwhile my Maverick has enough head and legroom to be an everyday driver for me.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 12:11:00 PM EDT
[#46]

A truck. We have cars.
View All Quotes

A truck. We have cars.
Then why not a 1/2 ton?  I went from a Tacoma to a F150 and it does everything better for truck things.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 12:13:21 PM EDT
[#47]
i would be very hesitant to buy the first year of a new (or completely redesigned) vehicle.
Let somebody else work out the bugs for a year or two.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 12:13:44 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By showmeballer:
Then why not a 1/2 ton?  I went from a Tacoma to a F150 and it does everything better for truck things.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By showmeballer:

A truck. We have cars.

$
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 12:16:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HammerHammer] [#49]
I like my 2021 Tacoma a lot. It seems like most of the common complaints I hear about them are being repeated by people who don’t have one. It gets about 20-22mpg on the highway, has plenty of room in the front seats (back seats are adequate but not that spacious), the 3.5 V6 is plenty powerful, and there’s nothing wrong with the transmission/shifting. The weird shifting patterns were a real thing but it was limited to earlier year 3rd gens and now people just assume the newer ones still do it too; they do not.

Nobody can really say how the new 4th gen models will hold up, since they’re so new. They look cool though.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 12:19:46 PM EDT
[#50]

Well, when the F-150 starts crapping cam phasers, IWEs, and water pumps, and when the annoying dumb stuff happens like door latches freezing open, steering wheel radio buttons fail, and the fuel door flaps loosely, a same year Tacoma keeps on going with little to no problems.

Obviously, there are trade offs and other things to think about, but generally speaking, the Tacoma ownership experience has been better than the F-150 ownership experience since forever. The F-150 is nicer to live with when it works, but that can be a pretty big caveat depending upon which engine you bought in which year.
View All Quotes

Huh, it’s like you’re in my head.

I just bought a 2019 F-150 Platinum off a family member who was trying to get out from under it to buy a Ram 3500 diesel. The cam phasers are still operable, but they’re “ticking”, and it developed a sudden oil leak a month or so ago when the timing cover gasket failed.

She owed $29k on it, and dealership wanted to give her $23k. I needed a half ton pickup, this one is well cared-for, and most importantly it’s currently financed at 0%. I don’t have to put it in my name until it’s paid off, and there’s no way in hell I’d have been able to get a comparable truck for that price otherwise.

The local Ford dealership wanted $4,800 to tear it down and replace the seal on the timing cover, along with the cam phasers. Independent shop came in a $4k. I got all the parts to do it - and replace all the timing components - for $500. I have a buddy that was a Ford mechanic for several years, and he offered to do the work for $600.

Based on this post, I have a few more potential gremlins to keep an eye on. I can replace a water pump and handle the electrical stuff shitting the bed myself - but what’s an IWE?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Top Top