Posted: 5/3/2024 8:21:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: medicmandan]
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 8:35:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 8:36:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 9:02:14 PM EDT
[#3]
I tried it and I made the chunks a little bigger than 1.5"x1.5"I would say to trim any hard fat off the belly, it doesnt render well and becomes kinda rubbery
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 9:09:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Burnt ends don’t last long around my house. Cube, season, bring to temp slowly (over an hour or so) season again, drop in a pan with sauce of your choice, (bbq and a bit of honey or maple syrup), back on the smoker to carmelize and finish.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 10:18:29 AM EDT
[#5]
I think I like them better unsauced, but the sauce can really impact flavor. I used whatever we had last time and didn't like them as much as before.
This sauce was good though... I smoke them in strips then cube before saucing. Get a combo of bark and soft meat. I also like seasoning, smoking, and slicing like brisket.

Link Posted: 5/4/2024 3:03:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:34:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:29:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Millennial] [#8]
I'm going to do Schuey's or Chud's Pork Belly recipe this week.  Just picked up 6 LBS of Pork Belly at Sams today myself.  Gonna smoke it with hickory and applewood chunks on a simple charcoal weber.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBLaQsimPg4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGBGcSkTpsw

I also got a 4.5LB chuck roast I'm going to tie around and do like a Texas style brisket tomorrow.  It's only 4.5LB so I think it's safe to start in the morning rather than overnight.  I really wanted a Brisket but a) 15+ LB is a lot of meat to cook randomly for no occasion and mostly b) Sams only had one whole brisket and it looked terrible.  They did have a bunch of brisket flats, but I'd rather buy pork belly than just brisket flat... so I did.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 1:21:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Millennial:
I'm going to do Schuey's or Chud's Pork Belly recipe this week.  Just picked up 6 LBS of Pork Belly at Sams today myself.  Gonna smoke it with hickory and applewood chunks on a simple charcoal weber.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBLaQsimPg4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGBGcSkTpsw

I also got a 4.5LB chuck roast I'm going to tie around and do like a Texas style brisket tomorrow.  It's only 4.5LB so I think it's safe to start in the morning rather than overnight.  I really wanted a Brisket but a) 15+ LB is a lot of meat to cook randomly for no occasion and mostly b) Sams only had one whole brisket and it looked terrible.  They did have a bunch of brisket flats, but I'd rather buy pork belly than just brisket flat... so I did.
View Quote
Chud's is the reason I do strips when I do them.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 9:07:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Millennial] [#10]
That Chuck I mentioned earlier came out great.

It was a behemoth, 4.5LBS.  I put a wrap of butcher twine on it to hold the whole thing together cooked it Chud-Brisket style. Rubbed with pepper/Salt/Garlic.  Smoked on the weber kettle using minion method at 250F with two chunks of pecan and a chunk of hickory.  Spritzed the toasty bits occasionally with 1/2 ACV, 1/2 apple juice.  Took about 6 hours at 250F to hit a stall @ 151F, so I foil-boated it with 1/2 stick of butter tossed in the bottom of the boat.  Bumped it up to 275F to push through the stall and instead of spritzing ACV from here on out, I occasionally mopped some of the rendered fat from the boat onto the open top to really crisp up that bark.  The boat was so full of fat/juice it was overflowing.  It probed tender at 201F after a little over 3 hours so I pulled it and let it rest an hour and we dug in.  

It was DAMN close to being great-brisket-good despite just being chuck roast.  If I ordered brisket somewhere and was served that, I probably wouldn't have noticed it was sliced chuck roast and been happy with it.  At $5.99/LB it's not like it was cheaper than brisket save for the fact it was 1/4-1/3 the size of an actual Brisket - so perfect for a normal family dinner and took half the time to cook.  Next time a big chuck roast is on sale, I'll have to squirrel one away to the freezer.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 1:41:28 PM EDT
[#11]
looks like a success OP!

I like doing a batch of these and Malcom Reed's smoked beans so the smoker is going as guests arrive, that way they get to see it in action a little. They're always a hit.  By that time the pork is already done and staying warm.  Sauce was thickened before they were eaten.

Link Posted: 5/13/2024 6:36:25 PM EDT
[#12]
I did a batch that turned our alright following Chud's recipe iirc.  I much prefer just seasoning and cooking them like a brisket.  I've also done crispy skin pork belly which was pretty awesome, too.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 6:47:31 PM EDT
[#13]
I was going to make pork belly burnt ends, but decided to cure bacon instead.
Link Posted: Yesterday 11:34:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By spyderboy03:
I think I like them better unsauced, but the sauce can really impact flavor. I used whatever we had last time and didn't like them as much as before.
This sauce was good though... I smoke them in strips then cube before saucing. Get a combo of bark and soft meat. I also like seasoning, smoking, and slicing like brisket.
https://i.imgur.com/ScBywOQ.jpg?1
https://i.imgur.com/hscWNZp.jpg
View Quote

I see you are a man of wealth and taste (Meat church Voodoo and Honey Hog I believe).
Link Posted: Yesterday 3:53:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By DV8EDD:

I see you are a man of wealth and taste (Meat church Voodoo and Honey Hog I believe).
View Quote
Lol yep! Made 7+/- pounds Saturday night for Sunday day. Same combo and I didn't sauce this time. I did add some butter and brown sugar though. So good!
Link Posted: Today 12:22:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By spyderboy03:
Lol yep! Made 7+/- pounds Saturday night for Sunday day. Same combo and I didn't sauce this time. I did add some butter and brown sugar though. So good!
View Quote

Great combo!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top