Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/28/2024 9:17:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: doc540]
Do they all ride like wooden ox cart wheels?

Learned from several posters in this thread.

Runflat tires ride smoothest with maximum recommended inflation.

Lowering the inflation rate only engages the stiff sidewalls.

Aired 'em up today and the ride smoothed right out.  

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:20:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: NCPatrolAR] [#1]
My only expereince with run-flats were the ones on Humvees and yes; they were miserable to drive on when you were on the RF insert
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:23:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By NCPatrolAR:
My only expereince with run-flats were the ones on Humvees and yes; they were miserable to drive on when you on the RF insert
View Quote

Those are a bitch to change out too!  Holy hell did I ever have a time with that when changing tires on my M1102 trailer.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:27:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Ride quality suuuucks with run flats

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:38:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Terrible ride. We tore a couple up and they needed replaced. The first one took a seasoned mechanic all day to swap, which including him making some tools to help.

They sell caulk tubes with installation lube, and that stuff stupid expensive.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:38:58 AM EDT
[#5]
I ran them on my Goldwing and they were fine by me.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:40:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Run flats on my wife’s car ride fine. Never know it unless I told you.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:41:34 AM EDT
[#7]
I’ve got some Bridgestone run flats on my Mazda CX-9 and the ride well. I didn’t intend on buying run flats but now that I have them, the peace of mind if I get a flat is I can easily get home if I’m in town or someplace safe if I’m on the road.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:50:29 AM EDT
[#8]
I have run flats on 2 cars. They ride and handle fine. I drove one totally flat (rebar went through it) home 40 miles at 1am when AAA said it would be hours for a tow truck. These are modern run flats that are basically just a reinforced side wall, not the old style with the rubber ring around the rim.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:53:29 AM EDT
[#9]
I had them on my BMW 335i and the ride sucked.  When I did have a flat due to a nail I pulled over right away, but the tire was not serviceable.  $600 to replace the single tire.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:53:36 AM EDT
[#10]
My BMW X5 came with run flats and no spare tire.  No room for one under the back area since the battery and electronics are located there.

I switched from the Pirelli Scorpion to standard construction tires and the ride quality improved and was much quieter.  

I added a pump and plug kit to the SUV and I'm also an AAA member.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 10:05:48 AM EDT
[#11]
They are garbage.
When I had a vehicle that came with them and no spare I risked it and went with Michilen Pilot Sports and wow what a difference.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:03:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for confirming what I suspected

I have the option of buying a used, emergency spare and a small jack and lug wrench if I replace these buckboard run flats.

They destroy the ride in my latest daily beater.

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:21:12 AM EDT
[#13]
On my fourth BMW with runflats.  As soon as they wear (usually around 20k miles), I immediately replace them with goflats and figure out a compact temporary spare.

All my BMWs came with Continental runflats.  I usually replace them with some type of Michelin goflat.

I'm going to put the new Bridgestone Driveguard 2 on my daughter's car when it's time to replace her tires and see how the ride quality is in that.

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:23:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By moreammoplz:
I had them on my BMW 335i and the ride sucked.  When I did have a flat due to a nail I pulled over right away, but the tire was not serviceable.  $600 to replace the single tire.
View Quote
Getting rid of the run flat winter tires that are on my bimmer this week, for some nice sticky Yoko tires.
But I don't hate my mechanic, so I'm giving him a whole new set of wheels to use too.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:24:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By doc540:
Thanks for confirming what I suspected

I have the option of buying a used, emergency spare and a small jack and lug wrench if I replace these buckboard run flats.

They destroy the ride in my latest daily beater.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/183309/bmw_528b-3200263.jpg
View Quote
Just get AAA and call it good.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:28:41 AM EDT
[#16]
I hated them on my 328i, so I replaced them with regular tires as soon as they were worn. Night and day with a quieter and softer ride. I did the same with my M4. I swear I could feel it when I ran over an ant with the runflats. Now the ride is softer and a little quieter - I think the rest of the ride and noise just comes from the VERY stiff suspension. I also went 10mm wider on the replacements to 275/30 up front and 295/30 in the back.

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:29:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: doc540] [#17]
Originally Posted By tifosi:
Just get AAA and call it good.
View Quote

Wait on AAA just to change a flat tire?

If I carry an emergency tire and a small scissor jack, I can change it myself.

I don't think AAA replaces tires if you don't have a spare.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:29:56 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By CarlosC:
I hated them on my 328i, so I replaced them with regular tires as soon as they were worn. Night and day with a quieter and softer ride. I did the same with my M4. I swear I could feel it when I ran over an ant with the runflats. Now the ride is softer and a little quieter - I think the rest of the ride and noise just comes from the VERY stiff suspension. I also went 10mm wider on the replacements to 275/30 up front and 295/30 in the back.

https://i.imgur.com/CoMcUxE.jpg?1
View Quote

M4 Rocket
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:35:01 AM EDT
[#19]
I run the Continental Sportcontact 6SSRs on my GTO and I dont have any complaints.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:44:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Lockstep] [#20]
Run flat or no, less side wall=rougher ride.o

Combine that with new cars suspension set up for higher speed, and less insulation/noise dampening materials to increase mileage numbers, results in noisy oxcart.

The wife's Porsche last set of tires were so low profile and stiff that they did not visibly get " flat".  It just held up the car anyway with a nail and no pressure.  

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 4:40:22 PM EDT
[#21]
My BMW has runflats.  I've had two damaged by road debris (19" wheels and lo pro tires and giant bricks are not a good match) and I was able to drive safely home after each time, then to the tire store to replace them.

The ride quality isn't that bad, I don't know why people say they're awful.  Maybe it's just my specific M spec car would have the same ride with regular or runflat.

I COULD go standard tire and toss a full size in the back, but I don't want to give up the space.  It's not a losing proposition for me.

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 5:21:57 PM EDT
[#22]
I fucking hate them all.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 5:36:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Pogo55:
I ran them on my Goldwing and they were fine by me.
View Quote

I didn't know they made motorcycle run flats for street bikes. Who made them?
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 5:37:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Yes they ride like crap on most BMW’s. Most of our customers opt to go to standard tires and grab a spare or a plug kit and air pump. Getting a better ride and cheaper tires on top of it.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 5:40:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 6:07:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By NCPatrolAR:
My only expereince with run-flats were the ones on Humvees and yes; they were miserable to drive on when you were on the RF insert
View Quote

Come on Man......did they get you out of harm's way.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:12:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:

View Quote

They were car tires.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:20:34 PM EDT
[#28]

View Quote

A lot of Goldwing guys run small car tires.

It looks whacky AF, but they do it.  I'm guessing it's a weight thing.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:23:11 PM EDT
[#29]
I don’t think so. I’ve had a couple sets of Bridgestone Driveguards and they are fine.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:29:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By usp4u:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By usp4u:

Darkside. They've been doing it for years. I assumed that's what he was talking about just wondered if I had missed anything.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:55:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: doc540] [#31]
Originally Posted By Nate19:
I don’t think so. I’ve had a couple sets of Bridgestone Driveguards and they are fine.
View Quote

Lucky guy you are.

My Driveguards are like wood oxcart wheels.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 10:05:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By dark_light:
View Quote

Exactly this. If your vehicle’s suspension is made for them, then they ride just fine. Most BMW’s, Mercedes, and vehicles that don’t come with a spare.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 10:08:58 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By dark_light:
View Quote

I have set of summer tires on rims.  A set of winter tires on rims.  What he said.  You can't tell the difference.  And they work.

Antifa warriors with pocket knives can't stop an all wheel drive turbo subaru on run-flats.  Really, nothing can.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:13:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Scoobysmak] [#34]
If it is one fault of my current car.....run flats as there is no area for a spare.....  

(I could be wrong but between cost savings and the EPA and fuel mileage trying to reduce weight the average joe got screwed....this is dumb).

I will say though I have only driven it with the run flats but based on other cars a bit more noticeable "thuds" with potholes and stuff but not out of control.  My biggest gripe is the excess cost and weight, rotational mass is a killer for performance/mpg but most people probably won't notice.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:56:26 AM EDT
[#35]
They are heavy and increase un-sprung weight, which is not good for high performance driving.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:00:28 AM EDT
[#36]
Heavy,worse fuel mileage, horrible ride, can't really drive too far on a flat.. Can't fix them. Complete crap.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:54:46 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By artburg:
Heavy,worse fuel mileage, horrible ride, can't really drive too far on a flat.. Can't fix them. Complete crap.
View Quote

My Conti 35 series run flats weigh 2 lbs. more than the non run flat version Conti. I checked Toyo and Pirelli and their same size non run flats weigh the same as my run flats. I drove 40+ miles on gravel and highway with a 3/4” hole in the tire. It was getting replaced anyways. Modern run flats have come along way.
I also carry a plug kit and inflator so I can fix a small puncture without ruining the tire if need be. They may not be the right answer for everyone but I’ve got no issues with them.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 11:00:26 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Alex_F:
My BMW has runflats.  I've had two damaged by road debris (19" wheels and lo pro tires and giant bricks are not a good match) and I was able to drive safely home after each time, then to the tire store to replace them.

The ride quality isn't that bad, I don't know why people say they're awful.  Maybe it's just my specific M spec car would have the same ride with regular or runflat.

I COULD go standard tire and toss a full size in the back, but I don't want to give up the space.  It's not a losing proposition for me.

View Quote

same here.  wife's bmw ride isn't bad at all.   tires are expensive, but hey, when she got a bolt through one a month ago, pressure went to single digits and we were still able to drive it 20 miles to get it fixed.   i'm a fan of them
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:42:03 PM EDT
[#39]
updated with new info

Air'em up to their max rate for the smoothest ride
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 1:36:16 PM EDT
[#40]
NOTE THE UPDATE
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top