Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/14/2024 11:28:07 AM EDT
Please share your secrets with me.

Situation:  I'm an arborist.  Tired of working with trash people, alcoholics, substance abusers, convicted felons, imbeciles, thieves, illegal/clapped out equipment, and people who are going to injure or kill me.  Looking to make a go of singleton work plus maybe one or two fully vetted ground guys as needed.  Want to build my own business so that I no longer have to work with clowns who have no business doing tree work.  Jobs need to be within a 30 mile radius.  Please share marketing strategies that have worked for you in your small business.  Bonus if you're a fellow tree service guy.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:29:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Notcalifornialegal] [#1]
Edit
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:33:37 AM EDT
[#2]
In the modern era you need a social media presence.  We built our business off of Instagram, Facebook, Youtube, and Tiktok.  If you make short form content on your phone showing what you do and your quality you will get more business. Tree and Lawn work will always be in demand because people are either too lazy or too unskilled to solve their own problems.

I am not a tree guy.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:34:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Social media can work really well if you're good at it
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:40:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Go to a city park and find the oldest, largest tree you can. Cut that down and when people ask you what you’re doing, give them your business card.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:43:21 AM EDT
[#5]
For that kind of work I think the first thing is get Google to list you as a business, even if its your house.  You want people to Google "tree service near me"  and your number pops up.  Step 2 is answer the damn phone and return calls.  I'm not a tree guy, but I've gotten plenty of jobs because I was the one guy who returned a call and showed up on time for the estimate.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:48:18 AM EDT
[#6]
You picked the wrong profession from my experience with arborists and those I know in the field
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:48:45 AM EDT
[#7]
I believe you will need a larger radius than 30 miles.

Yours will be a completely different business model than mine as I have just a few customers.

You'll likely need advertising and then a solid word of mouth game. Facebook is a good place to start both a page and Marketplace.

A radio spot on public station doesn't cost much.

Should be bonded.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:49:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Social media presence with good word of mouth/references.

I had a larger tree that needed to be taken down. Called a few places, got nonspecific quotes and generalized plans (maybe I can do it next week, etc.). Out of 5 places called, only one actually showed up for a quote, and it was sky high and almost a month out. I said fuck it and did it myself.

I don't like being hassled.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:51:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Burnsy] [#9]
Originally Posted By treejedi:
Please share your secrets with me.

Situation:  I'm an arborist.  Tired of working with trash people, alcoholics, substance abusers, convicted felons, imbeciles, thieves, illegal/clapped out equipment, and people who are going to injure or kill me.  Looking to make a go of singleton work plus maybe one or two fully vetted ground guys as needed.  Want to build my own business so that I no longer have to work with clowns who have no business doing tree work.  Jobs need to be within a 30 mile radius.  Please share marketing strategies that have worked for you in your small business.  Bonus if you're a fellow tree service guy.
View Quote
If I am more than 30 miles from you, why are you already telling me no?  

If I want specifically you, I am probably also willing to pay for your travel time and gas.  Give me a quote which includes that and let me decide.  If coming to give me a quote means you need payment for that, because it is outside of your range, tell me the cost for a quote and let me decide.  

You are turning down money without even giving me the option to pay it to you.

Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:56:08 AM EDT
[#10]
If you're referring to all of the scumbags in this industry, L to the OL.  Truth.  

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By dmtaylor64:
You picked the wrong profession from my experience with arborists and those I know in the field
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:57:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TheLookingGlass] [#11]
I'm retired but I own and rent out houses as extra income.

1 Do truly random drug and alcohol tests on everybody, at least once a month. You can get them for pretty cheap at walgreens.  If/when they fail, Give em one chance to prove it was just their first time.  Also try back to backs. Do a drug screening monday, then again on wednesday just to weed out the sneaky ones.

2. Make a funny sign or slogan for your vehicle(s) and t shirts so people will remember it. Extra points if it's kind of saucy or has some form of innuendo/double speak.  Since you do tree stuff, maybe try something about the size of the customers wood, or how hard wood is.  I'm not creative enough to actually think of anything LoL so that's on you.

4. ...Profit!...
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:57:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: rstrobel] [#12]
You need a solid website, google my business page (with reviews), and social media presence. If you can include a detailed "about us" page with a story about you, pictures of your family/kids/dog, etc. then that will help because people are comfortable with you when they call for the first time. We do this with our business and I constantly get first time calls that say something like "we love your dog/kids/fishing pics on the website". most competitors in our industry just have "he spends time in the outdoors with his family" on his website - they don't go into detail and we have very detailed pics, info on our favorite lakes to fish, etc. make it personal

For that industry I would invest in solid branding/logo/business card design and then plan on spending a bunch of time networking with realtors, landscapers, plumbers, nurseries, etc. - you want to be known by anyone and everyone who comes into contact with houses and may be asked "who can ______ our tree?" by their clientele. You need to both be known by those people and come up with some sort of system to stay in touch with them every few months - something like an email newsletter that shows "here's this crazy tree we cut down" or "look at this great before/after job we did for someone who is planning to list their house soon"

if you're looking for commercial work then hit up every property manager (especially the smaller/solo ones who are easily reached by phone/email), commercial RE agents, HOAs, etc.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:57:55 AM EDT
[#13]
I'm licensed and fully insured, but not bonded.

Originally Posted By Ridgerunner9876:

Should be bonded.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/14/2024 12:00:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Echd] [#14]
I really don't know how you plan to do that line of work without the sort you don't want to employ. The only thing that compares to those work crews are roofers.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 12:02:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By bandanabandit1:
Social media can work really well if you're good at it
View Quote

This, facebook and instagram before and after shots.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 12:02:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: crownvic96] [#16]
Do you have any certifications like from ISA?
Are there any botanical gardens or larger more commercial companies/organizations you can support?
Do you have social media presence or doing any sort of advertising?
Any reason why you are limiting yourself to just 30 miles?

It seems like you are just stuck with a narrow AOR just fucking around whacking trees down for/with methheads.

The folks I know that are really into being an arborist/gardening/landscaping are doing more specialty things like teaching classes, working for botanical gardens or places that have public or private gardens, wealthy clientele, or in specialty gardening/botany/landscaping wholesale/retail companies. And for the most part the ones on their own that have customers do it themselves and do an over/under with 1-2 other folks they trust who also have mostly complimentary businesses.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 12:05:21 PM EDT
[#17]
That's a good point.  

Honestly, it's a question of how much of a pain in the ass will the distance be, and can I legally do the work (license is good there, or no license necessary).

My days of doing guerilla style tree work are over.  I'm too old to be running afoul of the legal system or code enforcement.  

If the customer is willing to pay the freight, I'll go further than 30, but it's my preference to keep operations within 30 miles, just from the standpoint of logistics.  I've been with other services were we were clear out in the boondocks, multiple equipment failures, and then you're losing one or more days...

Originally Posted By Burnsy:
If I am more than 30 miles from you, why are you already telling me no?  

If I want specifically you, I am probably also willing to pay for your travel time and gas.  Give me a quote which includes that and let me decide.  If coming to give me a quote means you need payment for that, because it is outside of your range, tell me the cost for a quote and let me decide.  

You are turning down money without even giving me the option to pay it to you.

View Quote

Link Posted: 5/14/2024 12:08:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Burnsy] [#18]
That's a good point.  

Honestly, it's a question of how much of a pain in the ass will the distance be, and can I legally do the work (license is good there, or no license necessary).

My days of doing guerilla style tree work are over.  I'm too old to be running afoul of the legal system or code enforcement.  

If the customer is willing to pay the freight, I'll go further than 30, but it's my preference to keep operations within 30 miles, just from the standpoint of logistics.  I've been with other services were we were clear out in the boondocks, multiple equipment failures, and then you're losing one or more days...

View Quote
I only say it because I hate it when businesses do it.

More than once I have read some great reviews and researched a contractor and thought, this is my guy.  This is exactly who I want.  Call em they go, well you are 40 miles away, that is out of our service area.  Not a legal thing, I don't call contractors whom I haven't already checked on the county site as currently licensed to pull a permit. Just they don't want to drive that far.   But....I am willing to pay.  Throw a number at me here, I might say yes.  And they won't.  

For whatever it's worth, business that actually will charge for a quote, I have paid it.  Twice in my life, because I specifically wanted them.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 12:10:56 PM EDT
[#19]
I need an arborist - what area are you in?
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 12:13:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Morlawn66] [#20]
Have a decent pickup and wrap or sign it ,  have yard signs made . I don't do any social media or a Google listing but would if I was younger.  Reputation and referrals are a big deal , learn which customers to avoid , some jobs you don't want. Video the jobsites for damage claims . Be as professional as you can afford to be . Maybe do firewood in the winter , just a few random thoughts .

Link Posted: 5/14/2024 12:15:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By apexcrusade:
I need an arborist - what area are you in?
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/14/2024 12:22:21 PM EDT
[#22]
If you're referring to all of the scumbags in this industry, L to the OL.  Truth.  

View Quote

I met some of the industry stereotypes when I had a place in Florida.   I swear one guy was smoking meth 30’ up my palm tree.
Fast worker for sure.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 12:29:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Not to be a dick, but I'm gonna be a dick.
30 miles is like saying I wanna work from home. You have to be willing to go where the work is.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 12:36:36 PM EDT
[#24]
You've kept a list of the good customers over the years right?

I'm not a tree guy, but when mine gets slow he'll usually call around asking if I need anything done for a bit of a handshake discount.

Lots of people have stuff they need to have done, but just haven't had the time to call someone about it yet.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 12:38:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Morlawn66:
Have a decent pickup and wrap or sign it ,  have yard signs made . I don't do any social media or a Google listing but would if I was younger.  Reputation and referrals are a big deal , learn which customers to avoid , some jobs you don't want. Video the jobsites for damage claims . Be as professional as you can afford to be . Maybe do firewood in the winter , just a few random thoughts .

View Quote
That's an interesting one. Depending on types of trees could do firewood and/or logs/chips for smokers and/or mulch. "I haul for free" and can reuse the material to resell.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 12:47:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SwampApe] [#26]
If you’re near Orlando, I’ve got two big trees I need removed, and two tall palms that I can no longer reach with my pole saw. (I’m kind of broke right now, but I’ll cover your fuel & pay with services in kind.)

You can have at it,  and I’ll film it with lots of narration and accolades. My kid is a wizard at editing YouTube shorts.

We’ll have your phone ringing in no time!
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 12:54:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Drive around the nice part of town, and take some pictures of well maintained trees in front of expensive houses. Post the pictures on your Facebook as your own work.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 1:09:48 PM EDT
[#28]
I used to sell radio advertising, but I wasn't particularly good at it.

Targeted, shorter runs of radio and TV might be within your budget.  You can have a radio ad in the can and ready to go, and have it run for a few days after a storm.  The station I used to sell at had "weather triggers" specifically with that in mind.

You could also do local ads either on cable TV or with the streaming services like Philo.  You can target specific ZIP codes with these, and specific TV networks such as HGTV where everyone's in a home improvement mood already.

Also, maybe look for opportunities to network with insurance adjusters who tend to roll up on a lot of trees in bedrooms.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 1:17:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Social media, local fb groups, marketplace, instagram, tiktok.  X is great but not a business friendly site.  Linkedin is for white collar ball sniffing.  Word of mouth is crucial.

Register your company with google so you get in their address directory.  You'll get a lot more traffic from that than a website.  People will search for "Tree service near me", you'll pop up in the directory.

Forget about a website.  Google index is fucked and woke IMO.  If you don't have enough DEI and sustainability listed on your site, your results are on page 17 zillion.  Ask me how I know.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 1:29:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By mr_camera_man:
I used to sell radio advertising, but I wasn't particularly good at it.

Targeted, shorter runs of radio and TV might be within your budget.  You can have a radio ad in the can and ready to go, and have it run for a few days after a storm.  The station I used to sell at had "weather triggers" specifically with that in mind.

You could also do local ads either on cable TV or with the streaming services like Philo.  You can target specific ZIP codes with these, and specific TV networks such as HGTV where everyone's in a home improvement mood already.

Also, maybe look for opportunities to network with insurance adjusters who tend to roll up on a lot of trees in bedrooms.
View Quote

I have no idea what that costs, but I can't imagine radio and TV getting that much traction these days (too many people streaming music and shows.)

For marketing, I would get a Instagram, YouTube, and TikTok account created today. Find a couple tree trimming/ landscaping accounts that have shitloads of followers, and try to replicate everything that they do (no need to reinvent the wheel.) If that's too much to learn/handle, just record a bunch of content, and hire a cheap content editor or 'social media manager' to put something together. It's probably comparable in price to radio adds, and can generate tons of traffic.

While all of that is going on, just go door to door and ask for work. Remember, you're selling a solution to a problem and like someone posted earlier, tree trimming isn't something that most people think about very often. But if someone knocked on my door and gave me a decent price to do it right then and there, I'd gladly pay them to take care of that one problem I've been putting off (create a Square account and have the ability to accept CC payments right then and there. No one carries cash anymore and there are too many payment apps to rely on having the correct one.)
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 1:40:57 PM EDT
[#31]
https://www.bni.com/

Go visit a few local chapters in your area. Bring plenty of business cards. If you find a chapter you like join!!

Or find a similar networking group in your area.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 1:57:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Mr_Nasty99:

I have no idea what that costs, but I can't imagine radio and TV getting that much traction these days (too many people streaming music and shows.)

For marketing, I would get a Instagram, YouTube, and TikTok account created today. Find a couple tree trimming/ landscaping accounts that have shitloads of followers, and try to replicate everything that they do (no need to reinvent the wheel.) If that's too much to learn/handle, just record a bunch of content, and hire a cheap content editor or 'social media manager' to put something together. It's probably comparable in price to radio adds, and can generate tons of traffic.

While all of that is going on, just go door to door and ask for work. Remember, you're selling a solution to a problem and like someone posted earlier, tree trimming isn't something that most people think about very often. But if someone knocked on my door and gave me a decent price to do it right then and there, I'd gladly pay them to take care of that one problem I've been putting off (create a Square account and have the ability to accept CC payments right then and there. No one carries cash anymore and there are too many payment apps to rely on having the correct one.)
View Quote
Depends on the target market. Older people still stick with traditional media. They also have money and possibly mobility issues that makes tree trimming difficult and/or impossible.

Small businesses need to stick with Facebook & Instagram. Chasing everyone on every social media platform is a waste of time. The only other option I would recommend is Pinterest. YouTube long videos are probably not a priority now. If you want to provide user education - proper tree care, when do you need to call an arborist, is this tree dead or hibernating, etc. - you can do that on a more infrequent basis.

I work for a small company that provides home construction products and I administer our referral program. Potential clients fill out a form, it gets sent to the contractors, the clients get the contact info. Many contractors have FB accounts, some websites that are old/basic/outdated.

Before, after, and during shots and/or videos are what gets people. You can do an easy intro to all your vids. "Hi, I'm [Bob] with [Tree Topping Tools], and this is what we do." And show the work. One, your audience will see you, so you'll look presentable and hopefully trustworthy. Two, people love to see transformations.

Learn to love your smart phone (and probably have a backup). FB, IG, Venmo, Square, etc. all mobile friendly.

If/When you get a job in a neighborhood, use door hangers at neighbor homes. I don't mind getting a few door hangers or postcards in my door, but I absolutely detest solicitations.

Networking... I have no idea how the arborist business is, but maybe work with a local TruGreen or landscape company that doesn't do trees? I'm sure some homeowners will ask these for services and the workers might be "we don't do trees."
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 1:58:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Rustyprop:
https://www.bni.com/

Go visit a few local chapters in your area. Bring plenty of business cards. If you find a chapter you like join!!

Or find a similar networking group in your area.
View Quote

I'd find some local real estate agents/investors. Those people "know a guy" for literally everything that can be done to a property.

If you can become the go-to tree guy for a few busy agents, your network could spread like crazy.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 2:02:19 PM EDT
[#34]
run a small business they said....it'll be fun they said..
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 2:04:12 PM EDT
[#35]
I own a flooring business.  I have 4 guys in the field pretty much daily and I have a retail business.

Any trades person can be hit or miss, they are either just complete trash idiots or very good and primadonnas.  Pick your poison.  

Ive been doing this most of my life, so getting work isnt hard, albeit it has slowed from the covid days.  

I do local radio, facebook and even some paper advertising.  Some of my clients live in the boonies and dont have cell phones or the internet.  

But, all in all, most of my work comes from word of mouth and the fact that there arent many left here to choose from.  

I also do a shit ton of cash/carry sales which is my favorite, no drama from installers...
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 2:05:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By 0311SKI:
For that kind of work I think the first thing is get Google to list you as a business, even if its your house.  You want people to Google "tree service near me"  and your number pops up.  Step 2 is answer the damn phone and return calls.  I'm not a tree guy, but I've gotten plenty of jobs because I was the one guy who returned a call and showed up on time for the estimate.
View Quote

To expand on this.
Google will charge you to be the number 1 site when a search is done.
It might be a dollar a click, it might be $40 a click.
Look into how to make it work.  It’s truly a game changer in some industries.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 2:08:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Unfortunatly you need to be in a wealthy zip code or close to one.
MOST (not all)  folks couldn’t care less if the guy cutting their tree down is a crackhead, stolen equipment, etc.

People are dumb and if the guy is $1 cheaper they will go with him 99% of the time.

Hopefully you’re in an area that cares.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 2:08:25 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By mikeyb76:
Depends on the target market. Older people still stick with traditional media. They also have money and possibly mobility issues that makes tree trimming difficult and/or impossible.

Small businesses need to stick with Facebook & Instagram. Chasing everyone on every social media platform is a waste of time. The only other option I would recommend is Pinterest. YouTube long videos are probably not a priority now. If you want to provide user education - proper tree care, when do you need to call an arborist, is this tree dead or hibernating, etc. - you can do that on a more infrequent basis.

I work for a small company that provides home construction products and I administer our referral program. Potential clients fill out a form, it gets sent to the contractors, the clients get the contact info. Many contractors have FB accounts, some websites that are old/basic/outdated.

Before, after, and during shots and/or videos are what gets people. You can do an easy intro to all your vids. "Hi, I'm [Bob] with [Tree Topping Tools], and this is what we do." And show the work. One, your audience will see you, so you'll look presentable and hopefully trustworthy. Two, people love to see transformations.

Learn to love your smart phone (and probably have a backup). FB, IG, Venmo, Square, etc. all mobile friendly.

If/When you get a job in a neighborhood, use door hangers at neighbor homes. I don't mind getting a few door hangers or postcards in my door, but I absolutely detest solicitations.

Networking... I have no idea how the arborist business is, but maybe work with a local TruGreen or landscape company that doesn't do trees? I'm sure some homeowners will ask these for services and the workers might be "we don't do trees."
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By mikeyb76:
Originally Posted By Mr_Nasty99:

Everyone and their mother has a FB account. It's about setting up a professional and effective FB account, not just having one.

These days, it's foolish to not be on multiple platforms. Every platform consists of reels/short videos. Instagram and Facebook easily push your content to both platforms. The same videos uploaded to Instagram, can also be uploaded to TikTok (manually, but you can use the same file.) YouTube should have the 15-30 minute version of the short videos posted to Insta, FB, and TT.

I agree on the transformation videos being the biggest attention grabber. I follow a couple different landscapers that go around to the most overgrown properties they can find, and they offer to cut and clean it up for free. Those videos get hundreds of thousand of views.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 2:14:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bullseye100] [#39]
I currently own an auto repair shop (25 years). I've also done part time tree work for the past 30 years.  The very best advertisement is word of mouth.  That goes for the good and the bad.  The only difference is if you screw up a job the customer will tell everyone they know.  If you do a great job you're lucky if the customer tells 3 people. I haven't advertised my auto business for the past 23 years.  

I know you're already in the tree business but the best advice I got from my uncle when I took over his part time business was to leave the property BETTER than when you started the job.  We raked everything up at the end of a job no matter how big or small it was.  In the fall when leaves were on the ground we took them too.  Admittedly, we charged a bit more for yards heavily covered in leaves because we knew we'd be raking them up.

You're a brand new business.  You will likely have to do things like drive further than you'd like to give a free estimate (AND THEY SHOULD BE FREE). As you grow you can be a bit more selective.  Right now, just do what it takes to get the job.  That one job that seemed to far away could lead to countless other jobs in the same neighborhood.  I can't count how many jobs we got because a neighbor just walked up to us while doing their neighbor's tree and asked for an estimate. Work and look professional at all times.

Keep business cards on you at all times.  I'm very guilty of not having cards when I need them but I also don't need new customers either.

Facebook is free.  Set up an account for your business.  Like others mentioned, post before and after pictures.  Stress the thorough and clean job in the photos.

Link Posted: 5/14/2024 2:21:51 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 2:29:02 PM EDT
[#41]
Tree work attracts a certain quality of people. Best climber I know spends as much time in lockup as he does at work. Ground guys don’t make shit which attracts low IQ individuals.

I wish you luck, but unless you’re going to focus on high paying jobs in expensive communities it is unlikely you’ll be able to rid yourself of druggies and the illiterate.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 2:34:41 PM EDT
[#42]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Ridgerunner9876:
Should be bonded.
based on my limited experience I believe
Insured means that if you drop a tree on a car and get sued, you are covered.
Bonded means that if you drop a tree on a car, the car owner is covered.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 5:09:23 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Echd:
I really don't know how you plan to do that line of work without the sort you don't want to employ. The only thing that compares to those work crews are roofers.
View Quote

Truth.

And to the guy that suggested drug testing tree guys (or roofers), LOL. Good luck with that.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 6:45:38 PM EDT
[#44]
I carry $1,000,000 in personal injury and $500,000 in property.  That's one of the legal requirements for a license in my municipality.  And I've got separate riders for anything I drive, rent, or tow and another for my tools and gear.  Bundled with my truck, all of that is about $180 a month, which is, well, cheap insurance!  

Originally Posted By Leisure_Shoot:
based on my limited experience I believe
Insured means that if you drop a tree on a car and get sued, you are covered.
Bonded means that if you drop a tree on a car, the car owner is covered.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/14/2024 6:48:23 PM EDT
[#45]
A state in your profile would help , your in MA. I got work
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 6:48:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: treejedi] [#46]
Man.  A LOT of great stuff in here!  Thank you so much, guys! I appreciate all of you, and please keep the advice coming!  Some of this stuff I've been doing, some I had plans to, and some hadn't even occurred to me.  Wow.  Thank you!

Looks like I've got a lot of homework assignments.  
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 6:53:52 PM EDT
[#47]
I'm in Lincoln Nebraska, for those who have asked.  

I've got to say, was not expecting the work offers and PMs... That's a wow thing.  Gets me in my feels, and makes me think that there's a lot of good yet in this world.  Thank you, guys!
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 7:00:17 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Twisted10:
I own a flooring business.  I have 4 guys in the field pretty much daily and I have a retail business.

Any trades person can be hit or miss, they are either just complete trash idiots or very good and primadonnas.  Pick your poison.  

Ive been doing this most of my life, so getting work isnt hard, albeit it has slowed from the covid days.  

I do local radio, facebook and even some paper advertising.  Some of my clients live in the boonies and dont have cell phones or the internet.  

But, all in all, most of my work comes from word of mouth and the fact that there arent many left here to choose from.  

I also do a shit ton of cash/carry sales which is my favorite, no drama from installers...
View Quote

My dad was a plumber by trade and worked as a maintenance man at a Seminary for over 25 years. He did side jobs from toilet tank rebuilds to kitchen and bath remodels to make extra cash when my brother and I were teenagers and eating them out of house and home.

He was 100% word of mouth and had more side jobs than he could handle.

The idea of getting hooked up with some realtors, property managers, and/or insurance folks is a good idea to start out with. Get a base of reliable clients and they’ll spread your name.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 7:00:36 PM EDT
[#49]
I’ll pay to take the trees down but not the air fair
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 7:04:56 PM EDT
[#50]
The industry is made up of the dregs of society. Just the way it is, even the big guys. That said the best arborist and the ONLY arborist that I hired as well as recommended repeatedly over a span of 20 years was a husband and wife team. He retired a couple of years ago. Other than saws, he had a truck to haul logs and maybe a dump truck for smaller debris. I always did the clean up since I had the resources, he put it ground for me. The only other decent guy I knew was a single operator. He was a bit odd in that he built a shrine to Andres Stihl but other than that he was a clean dude. Again, climbing gear and no heavy equipment. Both these arborists did very well for themselves financially.

Do what you do best, do the smaller jobs that nobody want to bother with. If you are a decent professional looking operation you'll get plenty of word of mouth work. Take out a small ad in one of the Mint type coupon circulars. Put your card on bulletin boards, offer other things like cleaning gutters, putting up xmas lights and trailer delivery of stuff like mowers for repairs, debris hauling etc to fill gaps between jobs. Use a payment app like Square or others to make payment convenient for people. Always do what you say and always be on time.  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top