Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/14/2024 6:18:20 AM EDT
I was in the third book of Solzhenitsyn's Gulag Archipelago. This part had a lot on the cruelty and outright murder committed by gulag camp guards.  During his stint, he said most of these guards were young brainwashed fellows who'd been born after the revolution. They would shoot anyone down on any whim or even perceived infractions.

In all the books he kept mentioning that the guards used Tommy guns. The guards monitoring work details away from camp, guards in camp or in watch towers. He also reported there were thousands of individual "islands" in the Soviet "Archipelago". If a decently large camp had five thousand, then it stands to reason a camp of such size would have at least 100 armed guards.

That was a slew of Thompsons.  I recall Roosevelt sent a lot of arms and aid to Soviet Russia during WW2. I wonder if it's possible to know how many were sent to them or bought by them?
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 6:21:18 AM EDT
[#1]
We should rescind the “lend lease” on all firearms 50 years and older.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 6:23:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Not related. Talking about homegrown subs with drums
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 6:25:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DrKlahn:
View Quote

They were written off decades ago.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 6:30:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Thump_rrr] [#4]
Originally Posted By fadedsun:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By fadedsun:

Yet I still can’t bring my M1 Garand back into the USA on my Form 6NIA 81 years after it was manufactured.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 6:30:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By billyhill:
View Quote

This.  He was talking about PPSH-41s.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 6:39:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FMJshooter] [#6]
Originally Posted By SkullFarmer:

View Quote

No, there were lots of Thompsons sent over. They became a sort of status symbol.

No idea on the actual number though.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 6:43:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Thump_rrr:

Yet I still can’t bring my M1 Garand back into the USA on my Form 6NIA 81 years after it was manufactured.
View Quote

Take it to Mexico and bring it in.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 6:43:54 AM EDT
[#8]
I saw an article where the author claimed that over 130 000 were send to russsia.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 6:46:59 AM EDT
[#9]
George Racey Jordan (January 4, 1898, New York - May 5, 1966, Los Angeles) was an American military officer, businessman, lecturer, activist, and author. He first gained nationwide attention in December 1949 when he testified to the United States Congress about wartime Lend-Lease deliveries to the Soviet Union, in the process implicating Harry Hopkins and other high officials in the transfer of nuclear and other secrets to the USSR.

1963 Final Speech of American Military Officer Major George R Jordan
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 6:47:02 AM EDT
[#10]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By billyhill:

The PPSH and all the variations of it made by the different countries are probably still plentiful in the millions.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 6:47:11 AM EDT
[#11]
When we sent over M-4 Shermans as part of Lend Lease, which the Soviets actually liked, they were shipped equipped with Thompson sub guns for the crew.  The Soviets put many of these in storage.  Iirc, a big cache was recently uncovered.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 6:56:23 AM EDT
[#12]
I purchased one of the Russian M1A1 parts kits when they were $600.  Everything was there except the center section of the receiver.  The thing was absolutely flawless, it had obviously never been fired, the bore was bright and shiny, there was no wear on the metal parts, the wood was perfect.

It had just sat in storage somewhere in Russia for decades, a firearm made by American craftsmen, paid for by the American taxpayer, given away to dirty communists for FREE, and when it was time to bring it home it had to be cut into pieces to render it useless.  Talk about fraud, waste, and abuse.  Absolutely disgusting.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 6:57:01 AM EDT
[#13]
I remember that in the early 2000s Sportsman's Guide advertised Thompson M1 "kits" that were said to be de-milled from Soviet Lend-Lease weapons that had been in storage since new.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 6:58:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By USMC2111:
I remember that in the early 2000s Sportsman's Guide advertised Thompson M1 "kits" that were said to be de-milled from Soviet Lend-Lease weapons that had been in storage since new.
View Quote

Those are the exact kits I referenced just above you.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 7:05:44 AM EDT
[#15]
A large amount of them are (or were) stored in the salt mines of Soledar Ukraine which was captured by Russians.

The Wagner troops were showing off all the crates Thompsons by the thousands in a video last year.

That action almost makes it guaranteed they will never be available in the U.S. market. Lots of surplus was in that mine from M1s to MG42s, PPsh, etc.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 7:49:56 AM EDT
[#16]
I watched a news report from a warehouse in Ukraine at the begining of the current war.  It was lend lease arms and ammo from ww2.  They broke open a wooden case of thompsons. Original markings on case. Never used guns.  It was beautiful.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 8:05:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: tsg68] [#17]
The Chinese had thousands sent to the Nationalists during WWII and we faced them in Korea later.  David Hackworth said there were piles of captured ones he would “liberate” for his little raider unit.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 8:43:59 AM EDT
[#18]
A friend of mine from grad school, formerly an officer in the French Army, living in Lichtenstein now. With a collector's license they are allowed to own any pre-WWII small arms. A couple years ago he got a call from his MilSurp dealer and ran over to this dealer's shop where he had two boxes of Thompsons found in some warehouse that was being torn down in Russia. One box was unfired M-1928's and the other was unfired M-1's. My buddy got one of each for about US$500 each.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 8:45:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: joekizanyu] [#19]
Deleted. Most of my "information" was incorrect, at best.

Link Posted: 5/14/2024 10:06:52 AM EDT
[#20]
"Tommy Gun" was/is a somewhat generic term for any submachine gun.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 10:11:58 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Ameshawki:
View Quote

Unless it was an MP40. Then it was incorrectly referred to as a Schmeisser.

Link Posted: 5/14/2024 10:18:06 AM EDT
[#22]
There were some parts kits brought in by Bowman becore the you crain invasion.

Not sure how many Robert got in though they sold for around 1200 bux a kit.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:01:15 AM EDT
[#23]
View Quote

Yep.  I remembered my step dad a ww2 vet saying the police were at the bank with tommy guns when they moved to the building next door to the old bank.  The bank was moving the cash in a wheelbarrow.   The town cops were holding AR15s.

He knew what a thompson was.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:03:25 AM EDT
[#24]
Every tank we lended them also came with I think 1 tsmg iirc
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:11:29 AM EDT
[#25]
View Quote

This. It's been more or less forgotten these days, but back then pretty much any submachine gun was referred to as a 'tommy gun'.

They could have been actual Thompsons, but I wouldn't assume so.

Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:20:03 AM EDT
[#26]
Wagner showed off the vintage US machine guns they captured in the salt mines in Ukraine. Theres a video if you search for it.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:24:04 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By DKUltra:
Wagner showed off the vintage US machine guns they captured in the salt mines in Ukraine. Theres a video if you search for it.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/110810/IMG_1754_jpeg-3214094.JPG
View Quote

Man I would love one of those.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:33:47 AM EDT
[#28]
We sent around 4,100 Shermans to Russia. Each one had five Thompsons as crew weapons. The Russians never unpacked them and they went into storage.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:33:57 AM EDT
[#29]
TheFirearmsBlog claims 137,000 Thompsons went to the USSR in total. There were 4,000 Shermans and about 1,000 Grants sent to the USSR, and each one came with a pair of Thompsons so that's 10,000 right there.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:42:46 AM EDT
[#30]
Oh, that's nice, give thousands of automatic weapons to commies but prohibit your own citizens from owning. Who's the commies now?
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:45:55 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By amprecon:
Oh, that's nice, give thousands of automatic weapons to commies but prohibit your own citizens from owning. Who's the commies now?
View Quote

The same Presidential signature is on both the National Firearms Act and the Lend-Lease Act.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:47:51 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By amprecon:
View Quote

Us. We always were.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 12:01:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Video showing the Soledar depot with Thompsons. Starts at 4:33. I'd bet there is more in some Russian depots.

Wagner Finds Only Antique Weapons In Ukraine's Underground Weapons Cache
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 12:02:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By PJF:
I purchased one of the Russian M1A1 parts kits when they were $600.  Everything was there except the center section of the receiver.  The thing was absolutely flawless, it had obviously never been fired, the bore was bright and shiny, there was no wear on the metal parts, the wood was perfect.

It had just sat in storage somewhere in Russia for decades, a firearm made by American craftsmen, paid for by the American taxpayer, given away to dirty communists for FREE, and when it was time to bring it home it had to be cut into pieces to render it useless.  Talk about fraud, waste, and abuse.  Absolutely disgusting.
View Quote

I remember when sportsman's guide sold those.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 12:12:12 PM EDT
[#35]
I’m not sure about Russia but here is a pile of Thompsons in Vietnam…

Link Posted: 5/14/2024 12:19:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ITCHY-FINGER] [#36]
Originally Posted By FMJshooter:

No, there were lots of Thompsons sent over. They became a sort of status symbol.

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/1477979615233095545.jpg

View Quote

Yes, many thousands were sent. A bunch of new-in-wrap M1's were captured by the Russians in a Ukrainian salt-mine armory. I believe a few Thompsons were sent with each tank we sent over but I'm sure a bunch were sent separately also.

Using the M1's for gulag guard duty makes sense since it would not make for logistics and resupply problems like a front-line unit.

edit: Beat by most everyone. It's a huge shame we gave anything to Russia.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 1:28:27 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By DKUltra:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/110810/IMG_1754_jpeg-3214094.JPG
View Quote

Damn
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 1:38:00 PM EDT
[#38]
We should rescind the "lend lease" on all firearms 50 years and older.
View Quote
I don't know how to tell you this, but Russia's not giving them back. Given the scale of WWII, there's likely still a lot of surplus floating around in various condition that will never make it back to American shores, and when it does come in, it doesn't seem to diffuse prices any. The market is willing to accept prices where they're at. Unless there's a significant decline in collector's interest, I don't really expect them to ever come back down.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 1:43:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Inneedofhelp] [#39]
Already mentioned.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 1:46:26 PM EDT
[#40]
View Quote

Yep, particularly if it was equipped with a drum mag.

Link Posted: 5/14/2024 1:59:05 PM EDT
[#41]

View Quote

OK, that makes sense. I guess "Tommy Gun" might have been a generic name for SMGs, like we southern folks use "Coke" to describe most carbonated beverages.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 2:01:13 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Snallygaster:
When we sent over M-4 Shermans as part of Lend Lease, which the Soviets actually liked, they were shipped equipped with Thompson sub guns for the crew.  The Soviets put many of these in storage.  Iirc, a big cache was recently uncovered.
View Quote

They didn't use the Thompsons at the time due to a lack of .45 ammo.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 2:01:52 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Flysc:

OK, that makes sense. I guess "Tommy Gun" might have been a generic name for SMGs, like we southern folks use "Coke" to describe most carbonated beverages.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Flysc:

That is my guess. He doesn't really strike me as a kind of person that was a gun expert.

More likely PPSHs.

Link Posted: 5/14/2024 2:05:59 PM EDT
[#44]
We should have never given them any weapons
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 2:10:00 PM EDT
[#45]

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/1477979615233095545.jpg

View All Quotes

Well, you found a pic. Those are Thompsons or copies. I now wonder if the Soviet murder machine liked the design and copied them.

Solzhenitsyn was often extremely detailed and specific in descriptions of some trappings of the military, prisons and camps. Hardware not so much, like with prison escape attempts where vehicles were used. He would use "car" or "transport truck". He did specify "Tommy Guns" a lot.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 2:19:05 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Fltot:
I saw an article where the author claimed that over 130 000 were send to russsia.
View Quote

If i recall my history, the Thompson was developed around the time of WW1 (and the Bolshevik revolution). Intent was to sell them to our military. I think they were also advertised as "ranch guns". They were rather expensive, so they later became famous as gangster guns because wealthy Prohibition era outlaws were a segment who could afford the outlay. You could also just mail order them before the 1930s. Mailman would just leave the crate on your front porch.

Link Posted: 5/14/2024 2:30:35 PM EDT
[#47]
When the RF took back Ukraynian territory that had the weapon storage mine on/in it there was footage of Thompsons being pulled out of the grease paper storage crates.

200,000 wooden crates of stored weapons .
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 2:54:57 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By OTHP:
There were some parts kits brought in by Bowman becore the you crain invasion.

Not sure how many Robert got in though they sold for around 1200 bux a kit.
View Quote

Yep. Got one. Low serial M1A1
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 3:03:54 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Squeefoo:
George Racey Jordan (January 4, 1898, New York - May 5, 1966, Los Angeles) was an American military officer, businessman, lecturer, activist, and author. He first gained nationwide attention in December 1949 when he testified to the United States Congress about wartime Lend-Lease deliveries to the Soviet Union, in the process implicating Harry Hopkins and other high officials in the transfer of nuclear and other secrets to the USSR.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XYRwOaQ_g0
View Quote

Absolutely fascinating and totally believable. I can see how he got unpersoned. McCarthy was right.

I also miss Paul Harvey's commentaries. Cool to hear him preamble that speech.  He was one of a kind and very popular when i was young.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 3:07:09 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By ServusVeritatis:
A large amount of them are (or were) stored in the salt mines of Soledar Ukraine which was captured by Russians.

The Wagner troops were showing off all the crates Thompsons by the thousands in a video last year.

That action almost makes it guaranteed they will never be available in the U.S. market. Lots of surplus was in that mine from M1s to MG42s, PPsh, etc.
View Quote

I'd forgotten about that story.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top