Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/13/2024 4:28:38 PM EDT
Looking for a small solar panel for use while backpacking/camping or in the backyard at home to charge small things like the firepit blower, ThermaCell mosquito repellant pots, etc.

Foldable/rollable is a plus, but not a requirement so long as it’ll fit in/on a decent sized pack.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 4:40:37 PM EDT
[#1]
I have this one and like it a lot

Big Blue 28 watt
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 5:00:13 PM EDT
[#2]
10W PowerFilm. Weighs about 0.6lb minus the usb car charger that is required
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 5:01:16 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a single panel RENOGY that isn't available anymore. VERy Good panel and the company is in deep in solar. https://www.renogy.com/e-flex-21-portable-solar-panel/
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 7:00:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Don't know if it's tier 1 but it works and it a little bigger than a laptop when folded.
There's a little flip out stand to prop it up.
Swisstech 30 watt

Link Posted: 5/13/2024 7:01:33 PM EDT
[#5]
There is a new 40 watt Jackery out that can be bought cheaper in a package deal on Amazon.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 7:22:04 PM EDT
[#6]
PowerFilm gallium arsenide, but they're spendy.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 7:45:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Gamma762:
PowerFilm gallium arsenide, but they're spendy.
View Quote

Got dayum, you weren’t joking. 5-10x more compared to rigid panels. Think I’ll stick with the older tech.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 7:57:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Look at Goal Zero. They have a variety of different products that can get that done.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 8:08:20 PM EDT
[#9]
For backpacking they’re all pretty much useless. Unless you’re hiking to outer Mongolia without stopping for resupply, you’re far better off using the weight for disposal batteries or a rechargeable usb charger. A 30 watt cell charges at 30 watts when conditions are ideal, otherwise they charge much slower…and they need to be out in the direct sunlight all day, which is tough when you’re hiking.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 8:18:16 PM EDT
[#10]
I use a big blue when out in the field, just got out of a 3 week exercise.

Works great in full sun, clouds and rain barely work so bring a power bank. I really like the Anker power bank I got, expensive, yes, worth it, yes.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 9:19:22 PM EDT
[#11]
10 watt is the bare minimum.  More is better.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 9:24:50 PM EDT
[#12]
I didn’t get it for back packing so I stepped up to 60 watt but it still folds quite small. Regardless there are various sizes available.

After watching videos and reviews I decided the best bang for my buck on price compared to real performance was Sunjack. I want straight to USB.

Here is the 25watt.

Amazon Product
  • Rugged, Durable, Waterproof. Weatherproof ETFE exterior layer improves performance and durability, extends the panel\u2019s lifespan, and requires less maintenance when compared to the PET exterior construction used by most portable solar chargers. The USB ports are waterproof rated IP67 \u2013 the printed circuit board (PCB) is coated with a waterproof seal and the junction box is silicone bonded to the panel. Designed for all weather conditions and environments - waterproof, shock-proof and drop-proof.

Link Posted: 5/13/2024 9:27:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By L119188:
For backpacking they’re all pretty much useless. Unless you’re hiking to outer Mongolia without stopping for resupply, you’re far better off using the weight for disposal batteries or a rechargeable usb charger. A 30 watt cell charges at 30 watts when conditions are ideal, otherwise they charge much slower…and they need to be out in the direct sunlight all day, which is tough when you’re hiking.
View Quote

This. If you are backpacking in, camping in one spot for a few days, and then heading home they can be nice, but if you are on the move, more batteries is the answer. A fully charged phone and a good size battery bank will last you a very long time if you aren’t fingerfucking your device of choice constantly.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 12:13:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By towerofpower94:
Looking for a small solar panel for use while backpacking/camping or in the backyard at home to charge small things like the firepit blower, ThermaCell mosquito repellant pots, etc.

Foldable/rollable is a plus, but not a requirement so long as it’ll fit in/on a decent sized pack.
View Quote

The most durable I know if isn’t made anymore-look for a used Bunton Solaris 26. Then buy one of these for it: https://www.diysolarforu.com/store/p3/Solar_Charge_Controller.html and use it to charge a 12V lithium battery in whatever size you are willing to carry.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 12:32:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Dark Energy just came out with a pretty nice looking one, no experience with it, but I like my Poseidon batteries.  Spectre Solar Panel
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 1:11:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: L_JE] [#16]
I have a 10W, 2 panel, Anker that I use out in the backcountry out west.  It's sufficient to keep my DSLR, GoPros and Garmin InReach Explorer+ going, in conjunction with a pair of 10,000 mAh batteries.  I'd have to look at my files, but I wouldn't be surprised if I'm shooting 300GB a week at times, or more,.  Up to about mid-October, that panel is sufficient enough, and food is the limiting factor by the two week mark.

Forget trying to charge while you are hiking.

And when you are charging, understand that your panel is a big wind sail.

Make sure it is truly secured if you are going to leave it unattended for the day, or that the electronics you are charging are secured enough that if the panel blows, the power cord will disconnect and not yeet your would-be attached electronics all over kingdom come.

ETA:
the panel and integrated electronics for two USB charging ports clock in at 12.5oz
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 1:44:31 AM EDT
[#17]
View Quote

^^^This guy knows what's up.

Skip the solar. Carry a 40,000 mAh battery.
These small panels just don't cut it.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 1:58:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: L_JE] [#18]
View Quote

Beyond the 5 or 6 day mark (with a pair of 10,000mAh battery packs), that's where the panel begins to come into play for me.

If you are constantly moving from A to B, forget it.  In my experience, I can't charge while moving.

But, if you are going to be doing some multiday camps over the course of 6+ days, that's where the panel begins to earn it's place with weight.

But, keep in mind that I'm chewing through some watt-hours with camera gear.  Then again, I'm often charging other people's gear with my 2 10,000mAh batteries, batteries that I'm recharging off of the panel.

My panel weighs 12.5 ounces.  Each 10,000mAh battery, 7.5 ounces.  Each camera battery, around 1.2 ounces.

Looking at most of my photos, no, the panel doesn't factor in.  It's only way out in Wilderness Areas that it earns its place.  

But, I do use the panel quite a bit when car camping.  But, that's not a weight-critical situation.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 4:36:50 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 6:18:36 AM EDT
[#20]
I've been very happy with the Anker.

Link Posted: 5/14/2024 7:48:28 AM EDT
[#21]
Thanks for the additional ideas.

I figured actually wearing the thing while hiking probably wouldn't be practical. More focused on setting it up at camp while hiking around during the day. I usually have a battery pack or two, but figured if I could swap one out for a panel the pack could charge during the day and then discharge into the phone/device at night. Rinse and repeat.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 8:34:40 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By L_JE:

Beyond the 5 or 6 day mark (with a pair of 10,000mAh battery packs), that's where the panel begins to come into play for me.

If you are constantly moving from A to B, forget it.  In my experience, I can't charge while moving.

But, if you are going to be doing some multiday camps over the course of 6+ days, that's where the panel begins to earn it's place with weight.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Climbing-Outings/20190805-Gannett-Peak-Wyoming/i-R6W7TrD/0/DMPMQf5cbXchVzSgjH5rvC9kV62hTXrBK2N2msqGR/L/2011Es2Az%20-%204128-L.jpg https://photos.smugmug.com/Starscapes/i-zG46CZB/1/zjbmpmgqvpCWMZ7zJLw2tgZhmqhPK68rf2FhFwSJ/L/_DSC1690X3%20-%201920-L.jpg
https://photos.smugmug.com/Starscapes/i-QZxjkSN/1/DZWSgbkwDtbPf9FzFWQ926NS2P6MdGbqVh55cK3pv/L/6086s3D1z%20-%204128-L.jpg https://photos.smugmug.com/Starscapes/i-sGFrfRN/2/DL4gxkzbR4t4mmJkbrdFXD2BNmQB2X54DDp86bpmp/L/_DSC6137A%20Composite%20B1z%20-%204128-L.jpg
https://photos.smugmug.com/Starscapes/i-2sZfDM2/4/CRVqsZMgW9g6Rtd2bD7ZwTxJV4gfdmntK3KGQ3VST/L/5463s%2B5402%2B5388%20Azds%20-%202160-L.jpg https://photos.smugmug.com/Starscapes/i-SCQrmwC/4/DF6Z9jMdxnqxXwfZVScWnHbHwBV2hRz4HzJfsVdTk/L/_DSC2434E1z%20-%204128-L.jpg
https://photos.smugmug.com/Climbing-Outings/20190816-Cirque-of-the-Towers/i-vhN53KK/0/Q2w2gSrN3Tz7Ckvq6hdvbGHPTsVjF4QwrHjQvndj/XL/_DSC0573Bz%20-%204128-XL.jpg https://photos.smugmug.com/Climbing-Outings/20190805-Gannett-Peak-Wyoming/i-nVTC44Z/0/LqcZ95GxW6xNkVPJK3Qfg7n2GWWXhRFMc9Xb4CRX/L/_DSC0533Cz%20-%201920-L.jpg

But, keep in mind that I'm chewing through some watt-hours with camera gear.  Then again, I'm often charging other people's gear with my 2 10,000mAh batteries, batteries that I'm recharging off of the panel.

My panel weighs 12.5 ounces.  Each 10,000mAh battery, 7.5 ounces.  Each camera battery, around 1.2 ounces.

Looking at most of my photos, no, the panel doesn't factor in.  It's only way out in Wilderness Areas that it earns its place.  

But, I do use the panel quite a bit when car camping.  But, that's not a weight-critical situation.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

https://photos.smugmug.com/Climbing-Outings/20190805-Gannett-Peak-Wyoming/i-R6W7TrD/0/DMPMQf5cbXchVzSgjH5rvC9kV62hTXrBK2N2msqGR/L/2011Es2Az%20-%204128-L.jpg https://photos.smugmug.com/Starscapes/i-zG46CZB/1/zjbmpmgqvpCWMZ7zJLw2tgZhmqhPK68rf2FhFwSJ/L/_DSC1690X3%20-%201920-L.jpg
https://photos.smugmug.com/Starscapes/i-QZxjkSN/1/DZWSgbkwDtbPf9FzFWQ926NS2P6MdGbqVh55cK3pv/L/6086s3D1z%20-%204128-L.jpg https://photos.smugmug.com/Starscapes/i-sGFrfRN/2/DL4gxkzbR4t4mmJkbrdFXD2BNmQB2X54DDp86bpmp/L/_DSC6137A%20Composite%20B1z%20-%204128-L.jpg
https://photos.smugmug.com/Starscapes/i-2sZfDM2/4/CRVqsZMgW9g6Rtd2bD7ZwTxJV4gfdmntK3KGQ3VST/L/5463s%2B5402%2B5388%20Azds%20-%202160-L.jpg https://photos.smugmug.com/Starscapes/i-SCQrmwC/4/DF6Z9jMdxnqxXwfZVScWnHbHwBV2hRz4HzJfsVdTk/L/_DSC2434E1z%20-%204128-L.jpg
https://photos.smugmug.com/Climbing-Outings/20190816-Cirque-of-the-Towers/i-vhN53KK/0/Q2w2gSrN3Tz7Ckvq6hdvbGHPTsVjF4QwrHjQvndj/XL/_DSC0573Bz%20-%204128-XL.jpg https://photos.smugmug.com/Climbing-Outings/20190805-Gannett-Peak-Wyoming/i-nVTC44Z/0/LqcZ95GxW6xNkVPJK3Qfg7n2GWWXhRFMc9Xb4CRX/L/_DSC0533Cz%20-%201920-L.jpg

Can you post some of those in HiRES please?

Those are amazing photos.

I have a 3 pound fold up 100 watt solar panel i take kayak camping, but I am not carrying that while hiking, not that I do any hiking anymore.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 8:37:24 AM EDT
[#23]
How many days is the trip and how many charges? Better to carry a battery bank
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:06:33 AM EDT
[#24]
Have quite a few goal zero, many others have died.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:07:49 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By tc556guy:
View Quote

Up to 5 days would probably be the longest. Mainly East Coast parks/AT trail section.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:45:34 AM EDT
[#26]

Up to 5 days would probably be the longest. Mainly East Coast parks/AT trail section.
View Quote

I'd say power supply (battery banks/packs) would be more useful to you for this purpose, but I'm no expert. Depending on the section and time of year, most of the AT is under the canopy and in the shade so refueling a solar panel or having it charge while you're under way is gonna be folly. A pair of fully-charged battery packs will probably fetch you enough to keep your phone and headlamp batteries charged up with no issues.

Again, I'm no expert.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:50:55 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By RTUtah:

I'd say power supply (battery banks/packs) would be more useful to you for this purpose, but I'm no expert. Depending on the section and time of year, most of the AT is under the canopy and in the shade so refueling a solar panel or having it charge while you're under way is gonna be folly. A pair of fully-charged battery packs will probably fetch you enough to keep your phone and headlamp batteries charged up with no issues.

Again, I'm no expert.
View All Quotes

Again, I'm no expert.

Probably right, but you can't forget about the new gizmo factor
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 10:09:33 AM EDT
[#28]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By tc556guy:

I think you are better served, much better served, with an extra 10,000mAh battery bank, for three reasons:
- duration of the outing
- weight
- low probability of favorable overhead conditions.

Out at Rocky Mtn NP, I could have broken even on something like a Jackery 300 or maybe even a 500.
Here's the logic:
3 to 5 days in the Park, and then coming out of the park to my NF campsite to resupply and edit photos.  Do that for a couple days/nights, and repeat.  The pinchpoint was always the task of recharging, and that either meant being on the road and charging off of my truck's alternator, or dropping down into town and charging at a bench outside the town library, or charging in a bar/restaurant/coffee shop.  I'm going to eat food one way or another, yes, but food at a restaurant is going to cost way more than what I would fix if I was back at my NF tent site.  I was setup outside of RMNP for 3.5 weeks. A lot of time in the park, but not enough road time between the park and my NF site to accomplish enough charging. And this is where a car-camping solar panel/battery setup pays for itself: it keeps me out of town, and spending money in town.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 10:21:13 AM EDT
[#29]

Again, I'm no expert.
View Quote

Right.  A pair.  One is kind of pushing it.  I think we were using one of my banks or the panel to top off your bank at times, and that was something like 6 days, or so.

With phones being the only camera for most people, it churns through Whrs.

Also, a real super compact Euro-AC to USB adapter would be clutch.  Literally something to keep in the car.  Just in case.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 10:24:45 AM EDT
[#30]
For backpacking they're all pretty much useless. Unless you're hiking to outer Mongolia without stopping for resupply, you're far better off using the weight for disposal batteries or a rechargeable usb charger. A 30 watt cell charges at 30 watts when conditions are ideal, otherwise they charge much slower and they need to be out in the direct sunlight all day, which is tough when you're hiking.
View Quote
When I picture "backpacking use" I figure the phone won't be in use for than a couple hours a day at most.  A solar charger can easily keep a phone topped up and usable if use is kept light and it mostly stays in airplane mode with the screen off.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:05:41 AM EDT
[#31]
I have a few of these solar battery banks. Lots of ports, wireless charging, flashlight. Its probably wishful thinking to believe the tiny solar cell will recharge the bank in any convenient time frame, but better than nothing i imagine. They hold up to drops well.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=solar+power+bank&crid=LC9F1Y8NMFO3&sprefix=solar+power%2Caps%2C247&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_2_11

On the side, i also have solar, hand crank am/fm/sw radio. A lot of recharge synergy between this and a power bank. Specifically the inclusion of shortwave for news outside my area. Digital tuning because analog nobs on these things arent precise.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08T1FB7J3?tag=arfcom00-20
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:24:32 AM EDT
[#32]
View Quote

Pretty much my thoughts.     Unless you're camping out in one static site for days at a time you've not going to get idea conditions for charging when you're on the move.
Even you're youtube thru hikers with all their rechargeable items plus cameras for their vlogs go with battery banks.
I usually take a 10,000 mAh bank for 3 days or less and it keeps my phone, nu25 headlamp, flex tail pump and plb charged as long as I have them all topped off before I leave.
I take a 20,0000 mAh bank on longer trips, but those are rare because either my wife doesn't want me gone that long or if she's with me SHE doesn't want to be gone that long.
Just my take, YMMV.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:43:33 AM EDT
[#33]
Yeah I'll second the get a big battery bank for however many nights you think you need power, its just the easier, simpler way to go. If you are actually on the move you can do shit like strap the panel to your pack to charge a smaller battery bank, which is well janky and how well it works is 100% dependent on where you are hiking and where the sun is, cuz even under ideal circumstances you are only getting 50-75% of whatever the panel is rated for and really to get much charge you need to get the panel working during the middle of the day when you are most likely on the move. If you are married to the idea of panel for some really really long hiking (multiday) then I'd get at least a 20-30W panel and try to take a midday break where you can get it oriented perfectly.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:52:39 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Mach:

I have a 3 pound fold up 100 watt solar panel i take kayak camping, but I am not carrying that while hiking, not that I do any hiking anymore.
View Quote

Link?
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 12:41:20 PM EDT
[#35]
I've had decent success attaching powerfilm to my pack running to a battery, anker or the like. The grommets on powerfilm come in handy for securing the panel to a pack or the ground/tree for a good angle to the sun. I run my phone all night for white noise though...not sure I'd need anything besides the battery, if I didn't.

I've also (limited) used a usb powered mini water pump to fill up my gravity bag filter. At base camp it's nice to be able to sit and rest while pumping lake or stream water to your bag.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 2:52:03 PM EDT
[#36]

Right.  A pair.  One is kind of pushing it.  I think we were using one of my banks or the panel to top off your bank at times, and that was something like 6 days, or so.

With phones being the only camera for most people, it churns through Whrs.

Also, a real super compact Euro-AC to USB adapter would be clutch.  Literally something to keep in the car.  Just in case.
View Quote

Yeah, especially if you're playing with your phone during down-day(s); you're gonna smoke the battery pretty quick and recharging the banks becomes an issue. I definitely had to plus my bank up using your solar panel on more than one occasion. But we we're often back there for a week straight and able to make it happen because we're were static and able to capitalize with good weather.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:28:59 PM EDT
[#37]

View All Quotes

Thanks.  The nighttime photos can be found here...
https://elevenby50.smugmug.com/Starscapes

@Mach
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 2:33:28 AM EDT
[#38]
I use mine in conjunction with 2, 10K mwh battery banks.  Use the panel to charge one bank all day at where ever I'm camping while I take the other with me.  

Link Posted: 5/15/2024 8:19:01 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By M-60:
I use mine in conjunction with 2, 10K mwh battery banks.  Use the panel to charge one bank all day at where ever I'm camping while I take the other with me.  

View Quote

That was my thought process. One charging while the other is with you if you have an established camp.

And as mentioned by someone else, my phone is my camera, so it does get used during the day.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 8:33:14 AM EDT
[#40]
View Quote

This is true. Already ran this rabbit hole. So have people who do a hell of a lot more backpacking than me.

Solar panels and backpacking dont go together.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 9:30:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Cooper1] [#41]
I have one of those small Anker banks. I think 26,800.

It seems endlessly charge phones over and over without running low.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 9:43:50 AM EDT
[#42]
Sorry OP, I can't help you on this one.

Being old school, I always viewed my time backpacking or camping in the wilderness as an opportunity to get away from things and enjoy nature.

A Kindle for reading while sipping on a vodka cocktail in a hammock is about as high tech as I will allow myself to go.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 11:58:10 AM EDT
[#43]

@Mach
View All Quotes

@Mach

You have been to some amazing places and taken amazing pics.

thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 9:41:14 PM EDT
[#44]

thanks for sharing.
View All Quotes

@Mach

thanks for sharing.
Thanks.  But, it's pretty much the same places everybody else goes.  It's just that they aren't dumb enough to bring that much camera gear, nor stay up all night.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 10:16:30 PM EDT
[#45]
The small ones built into battery packs are worse than useless.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top