Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/10/2024 3:31:18 PM EDT
The guy at the NAPA store says I need new rotors AND hubs! I don't remember them being 2 parts; can anybody confirm this?

Also, I don't remember having to pull the bearings to R&R brakes. I wonder if he's looking at the 4WD parts page?
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 3:43:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Did you look them up on Rock, Oreilly, AutoZone etc to see what they show?
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 3:46:17 PM EDT
[#2]
I did and they show a single assembly.

I don't remember having to remove the bearing assembly either. The local Les Schwab says the bearings come out too.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 3:52:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PvtJoeBauers] [#3]
I just did a quick Google image for 1998 Dodge Ram front rotor 2WD. That did show it’s a one piece unit like most older cars had. Dodge didn’t really update Rams until Mercedes or Daimler, whoever bought them.

Attachment Attached File

ETA That’s an eight bolt but same style.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 3:57:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FrankSymptoms] [#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By PvtJoeBauers:
I just did a quick Google image for 1998 Dodge Ram front rotor 2WD. That did show it’s a one piece unit like most older cars had. Dodge didn’t really update Rams until Mercedes or Daimler, whoever bought them.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/191323/IMG_3742_jpeg-3210550.JPG

ETA That’s an eight bolt but same style.
View Quote

That's what I remember.
I'd love to bring in the old rotor to the parts guy and see the expression on his face! He'll probably say "Oh, you said it was a 4wd truck." Which I didn't: I said 2wd at least 3 times.
Mine has 5 lugs. eta And it STILL requires pulling the bearing. This'll be a backyard job, I don't have the ca$h to have a mechanic do it.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 4:52:42 PM EDT
[#5]
New wheel seals, some grease to repack the bearings and you'll be gtg.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 5:48:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Okay I FD'd again. It's the right rear squeeking. I drove past my wife and that's what she heard.
LOTS less expensive, and less work. Thanks to all for responding! It's what makes Arfcom worthwhile!
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 1:30:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Don't worry about pulling the bearings, it's a cake job, I was doing those when I was 15 or 16 for my dad. I'm sure youtube can help you out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top