Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/14/2024 12:19:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: leib109]
In other words, what doctrines from other denominations do you think possibly have merit? As a Protestant, one of the things I think Catholics and others have gotten right is the true presence of the Eucharist. I could see that Christ possibly meant that the bread and blood really are His when he plainly said “this is my Body” and “my blood of the Covenant.” (Matthew 26:26-28). When I take communion at a Protestant church with the little wafer and grape juice in a disposable plastic cup, there seems something flippant and disrespectful about the practice that doesn’t accord Christ’s sacrifice with the gravity and respect it deserves. I think this stems from the belief that the bread and wine are merely symbolic of Christ’s body and blood.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 12:39:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Gullskjegg] [#1]
Originally Posted By leib109:
In other words, what doctrines from other denominations do you think possibly have merit? As a Protestant, one of the things I think Catholics have gotten right is the true presence of the Eucharist. I could see that Christ possibly meant that the bread and blood really are His when he plainly said “this is my Body” and “my blood of the Covenant.” (Matthew 26:26-28). When I take communion at a Protestant church with the little wafer and grape juice in a disposable plastic cup, there seems something flippant and disrespectful about the practice that doesn’t accord Christ’s sacrifice with the gravity and respect it deserves.
View Quote

Personally, me being a Methodist turned Catholic; I will answer your question to the merits of the members.  I think what is missing in Catholics, typically cradle Catholics more-so than converts, is the zeal for their faith compared to protestants.  From my observations the problem stems from complacency of the parents which leads to ignorance of the faith, it's a bad cycle, and the 2nd Vatican Council in the 1960's really bore the rotten fruit we see today.  But, it will correct and the correction appears to be picking up speed.

To your point, which I find beautiful, and a major reason for my conversion:  The protestant attitude (especially early on) towards the Church from which they left was quite vitriolic, and placed the Eucharist front and center.  When they designed their services they did so with the intent to remove any inclination of the real presence and to convince people it wasn't supernatural, and went so far as to refute the Gospel of John (due to John 6).  

Here are a couple of quotes on the subject:

“Thus the mass is an evil thing, and God is displeased with it, because it is performed as if it were a sacrifice and work of merit."  "The Mass is the greatest blasphemy of God, and the highest idolatry upon earth, an abomination the like of which has never been in Christendom since the time of the Apostles." "Take away the Mass, destroy the Church.” – Martin Luther, 1546

“Any indication inferring the real presence of the sacrifice of the Mass are to be eliminated. I object to communion being placed on the tongue.  If the bread is placed on the tongue of the communicate, it gives the impression that the bread he is receiving is not just ordinary bread such as you would eat at the table and that the man who gives the communion is not just an ordinary man but one that has some sort of special powers. Just to make it clear that the people think nothing happens.” - Martin Brucer, 1549 on the rubrics of the Anglican service.

"Replace the Catholic Mass with a Protestant communion service.  The new service is entirely audible, entirely in English, communion is to be given under both kinds and any prayer such as the Iudica Me (Judge Me) and the offertory prayers which could be interpreted as even implying sacrifice are removed." - Thomas Cranmer, 1556
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 2:03:52 PM EDT
[#2]
From one of the major religious texts of Tibet, paraphrased only slightly:'  Any reasonable person knows the Gods aren't real, but we should act as though they were.".
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 3:04:55 PM EDT
[#3]
In other words, what doctrines from other denominations do you think possibly have merit? As a Protestant, one of the things I think Catholics and others have gotten right is the true presence of the Eucharist. I could see that Christ possibly meant that the bread and blood really are His when he plainly said “this is my Body” and “my blood of the Covenant.” (Matthew 26:26-28). When I take communion at a Protestant church with the little wafer and grape juice in a disposable plastic cup, there seems something flippant and disrespectful about the practice that doesn’t accord Christ’s sacrifice with the gravity and respect it deserves. I think this stems from the belief that the bread and wine are merely symbolic of Christ’s body and blood.
View Quote

If you want to read a great book on Christ's real presence in the Eucharist you should read "Jesus and the Jewish roots of the Eucharist" by Brant Pitre. I'm a little over half way done and have a hard time putting it down. Christ's presence was a huge part of me taking RCIA this year for an Easter Virgil baptism 2025
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 3:14:53 PM EDT
[#4]
View Quote

Most denominations get communion wrong. But they try to keep it simple and quick. But I won’t go any farther on that.
As far as doctrine, Jesus warned about the Doctrine of Men. Over, and over, and over.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 4:13:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Sartorius] [#5]
One of the hindrances listed in Buddhism:

Sensual desire means the appetites of the body for food, sex, possessions, experiences. All these wants can cloud the mind and make practice difficult, if not impossible.
View Quote
This sounds a lot like Paul and others' discussions on the natural man.

If I were ever to leave my current faith (Mormon), I'd likely become a Buddhist.

On the Eucharist/Communion thing, I'm solidly in the "it's purely symbolic" camp. It represents something of great and eternal importance. But the items themselves are just bread and water/wine. You could use white bread, wheat bread, 7 grain, pumpernickel or soda crackers. Doesn't matter. It's symbolic.  (ETA: In my opinion. I appreciate that Catholics believe differently.)
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 4:49:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Sartorius:

If I were ever to leave my current faith (Mormon), I'd likely become a Buddhist.

On the Eucharist/Communion thing, I'm solidly in the "it's purely symbolic" camp. It represents something of great and eternal importance. But the items themselves are just bread and water/wine. You could use white bread, wheat bread, 7 grain, pumpernickel or soda crackers. Doesn't matter. It's symbolic.
View Quote

You deny the Holy Spirit.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 5:31:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Sartorius] [#7]
Originally Posted By Anastasios:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

On the Eucharist/Communion thing, I'm solidly in the "it's purely symbolic" camp. It represents something of great and eternal importance. But the items themselves are just bread and water/wine. You could use white bread, wheat bread, 7 grain, pumpernickel or soda crackers. Doesn't matter. It's symbolic.

The OP started with this: "In other words, what doctrines from other denominations do you think possibly have merit?:

Which suggests that he's asking for opinions. What I said was my opinion, and probably not just my opinion.

(ETA: The Buddhism comment was one I could espouse. Obviously, the view on communion is not. I only mentioned it because it had already been raised by others, and I was, again, offering my opinion.)

You could've said "I believe you deny the Holy Spirit.", which would've been an opinion.

Instead you make what looks like a statement of fact. Only the Holy Ghost or I know if this is actually a fact.

So, <never mind>, please continue on with your absolute certainty and I'll continue on with mine.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 7:48:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Gullskjegg:

Personally, me being a Methodist turned Catholic; I will answer your question to the merits of the members.  I think what is missing in Catholics, typically cradle Catholics more-so than converts, is the zeal for their faith compared to protestants.  From my observations the problem stems from complacency of the parents which leads to ignorance of the faith, it's a bad cycle, and the 2nd Vatican Council in the 1960's really bore the rotten fruit we see today.  But, it will correct and the correction appears to be picking up speed.

View Quote

As a cradle Easter/Christmas Catholic, I blame our CCD classes. They were utter trash.  Basically preteens and teens fucking around at someone's house.  Not sure we even had a Bible.

My kids are in the classes now- far better organized, set curriculum,  parent involvement, etc.  But 30 years and a different state might help.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:05:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Anastasios] [#9]
The OP started with this: "In other words, what doctrines from other denominations do you think possibly have merit?:

Which suggests that he's asking for opinions. What I said was my opinion, and probably not just my opinion.

(ETA: The Buddhism comment was one I could espouse. Obviously, the view on communion is not. I only mentioned it because it had already been raised by others, and I was, again, offering my opinion.)

You could've said "I believe you deny the Holy Spirit.", which would've been an opinion.

Instead you make what looks like a statement of fact. Only the Holy Ghost or I know if this is actually a fact.

So, , please continue on with your absolute certainty and I'll continue on with mine.
View All Quotes

So, , please continue on with your absolute certainty and I'll continue on with mine.

Forgive me for hurting you.

John 6:53-58
53 Jesus said to them, “Very truly I tell you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink His blood, you have no life in you.
54 Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day.
55 For my flesh is food indeed and my blood is drink indeed.
56 Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me, and I in them.
57 Just as the living Father sent me and I live because of the Father, so the one who feeds on me will live because of me.
58 This is the bread that came down from heaven. Your ancestors ate manna and died, but whoever feeds on this bread will live forever.”
-------

"Christ was crucified in the flesh and His blood was shed on the Cross, and on the third day He was raised in a glorified state. We received the grace of of Christ's sacrificial offering by coming to Him in faith and by receiving Holy Communion in faith. In Communion, we truly eat His flesh and drink His blood, and this grants the faithful eternal life, with Christ abiding in us and us in Him."

"There is no room left for any doubt about the reality of His flesh and blood, because we have both the witness of His words and our own faith. Thus when we eat and drink these elements, we are in Christ, and Christ is in us" (Hilary of Poitiers, Bishop, Confessor and Doctor of the Church.  Born ~310 AD, Died ~ 367 AD)
-Orthodox Study Bible

Link Posted: 5/15/2024 12:17:59 AM EDT
[#10]

53 Jesus said to them, "Very truly I tell you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink His blood, you have no life in you.
54 Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day.
57 Just as the living Father sent me and I live because of the Father, so the one who feeds on me will live because of me.
58 This is the bread that came down from heaven. Your ancestors ate manna and died, but whoever feeds on this bread will live forever."
-------

"Christ was crucified in the flesh and His blood was shed on the Cross, and on the third day He was raised in a glorified state. We received the grace of of Christ's sacrificial offering by coming to Him in faith and by receiving Holy Communion in faith. In Communion, we truly eat His flesh and drink His blood, and this grants the faithful eternal life, with Christ abiding in us and us in Him."

"There is no room left for any doubt about the reality of His flesh and blood, because we have both the witness of His words and our own faith. Thus when we eat and drink these elements, we are in Christ, and Christ is in us" (Hilary of Poitiers, Bishop, Confessor and Doctor of the Church.  Born ~310 AD, Died ~ 367 AD)
-Orthodox Study Bible
View All Quotes

53 Jesus said to them, "Very truly I tell you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink His blood, you have no life in you.
58 This is the bread that came down from heaven. Your ancestors ate manna and died, but whoever feeds on this bread will live forever."
-------

-Orthodox Study Bible
That was me expressing annoyance at your attempted mind-reading. I most certainly do not deny the Holy Ghost.  And I'm familiar with all those scriptures and believe them to be given symbolically. We appear to read and interpret these differently.

I had a much longer response written. But per the OP's original question, I'll leave it as the concept of transubstantiation, or trans-elementation, as I've also heard it, to be a doctrine from other denominations that I cannot espouse.

Continuing on the OP's request, a concept that I could also espouse is the three primary principles of Sikhism:
Be always absorbed in meditation and prayer.
Make an honest income by honorable methods.
Share earnings and selflessly serve others.

Link Posted: 5/15/2024 2:04:14 AM EDT
[#11]
That was me expressing annoyance at your attempted mind-reading. I most certainly do not deny the Holy Ghost.  And I'm familiar with all those scriptures and believe them to be given symbolically. We appear to read and interpret these differently.

I had a much longer response written. But per the OP's original question, I'll leave it as the concept of transubstantiation, or trans-elementation, as I've also heard it, to be a doctrine from other denominations that I cannot espouse.

Continuing on the OP's request, a concept that I could also espouse is the three primary principles of Sikhism:

View All Quotes

-------

-Orthodox Study Bible

Be always absorbed in meditation and prayer.
Make an honest income by honorable methods.
Share earnings and selflessly serve others.

What I believe is not my opinion; it is the truth as Christ spoke it. It's right in front of us. You don't believe Christ's word.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 8:14:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Let’s try to keep the thread on track before it gets locked.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 9:08:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: EastWest] [#13]
As a Catholic I appreciate the Biblical knowledge of many Protestants whom I have known growing up. Even if I don't agree with their specific understanding, the knowledge of chapter and verse is something I need to be stronger in.

Also, the focus that many Protestants have regarding the nature of soteriology (how a person is saved) is IMO, positive.

Link Posted: 5/15/2024 10:45:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 3:15:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Let's try to keep the thread on track before it gets locked.
View Quote
I've now offered two. Here's a third. I realize you did say denominations in your OP. I'm not sure if you intended to keep this just amongst Christian sects or more broadly, which is what I did.

I agree with the fourth Islamic pillar of Fasting. Although I don't fast for an extended number of days like Ramadan, our faith does hold a fast every first Sunday of the month. And we are encouraged to donate the money we would've spent on those meals (or more funds) for the welfare of those less fortunate than us. The somewhat falls under the third pillar of Islam, the giving of alms.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 3:32:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By EastWest:
As a Catholic I appreciate the Biblical knowledge of many Protestants whom I have known growing up. Even if I don't agree with their specific understanding, the knowledge of chapter and verse is something I need to be stronger in.

Also, the focus that many Protestants have regarding the nature of soteriology (how a person is saved) is IMO, positive.

View Quote

While I’m not a Protestant though i would be considered one as it’s become a catch all phrase for anyone not Roman Catholic.

We tend to focus on how a person is saved because it’s literally a matter of life and death, eternal hell fire and judgment or eternal life. It’s not because we want to be more correct than the Catholics(some might, Baptists have created a Catholic boogeyman). It’s because we want to make sure people have a clear understanding of the gospel. One thing we can both agree on is the necessity of Christ’s shed blood and his resurrection and triumph over death for our salvation and outside faith in Christ and belief and faith in what he did no one can be saved.

The problem with Catholicism and its many doctrines arises because many of us have heard cradle Catholic types use phrases like “hopefully Mary will tell Jesus to let me in”, hopefully I don’t die before confession, I guess I’m going to heaven because I was baptized as a baby, I try to keep the sacraments, etc. We’re simply worried people are placing their faith in the works that they are doing rather than placing them in Jesus Christ and his death, shed  blood and resurrection.

Many Protestants also have their own issues with the whole asking Jesus in your heart or repeating the sinner’s prayer to go to heaven like it’s a magical set of words that grant eternal life once said. It’s become super prevalent among Prots and evangelical types. Joel Osteen doesn’t even give the gospel, he just tells people to” pray this simple little prayer” to get into heaven. Then the MacArthur types are tripping people up with their “Saving Faith” nonsense. Well if you really had saving faith you be doing xyz yada yada. In reality he’s making himself the lord over other’s faith because people are always asking him in Q/A sessions if they have saving faith because they are struggling with certain sins and then he’ll tell them if he thinks their faith is “genuine”.

If you’re reading this and struggling with whether or not you have “Saving Faith”. A “Saving Faith” is a faith whose object is Jesus Christ. The object of your faith has to be Jesus Christ, and his finished work. The shed blood for the remission of sins and his resurrection and triumph over death as our promise of eternal life and as our high priest and mediator.  If you look to what you do to justify  yourself you’ll always fall short because our works are tainted and often times not good which is why Jesus had to come and die in the first place because nobody could keep the law. I don’t look at what I do to justify myself or my faith. I look at what he did for me to justify me before God and the promise of God that all who believe will have eternal life.

I’m 100% secure in Christ and have zero doubts about my final destination. I know where I’m going because of what Jesus did for me and because God cannot lie.

Now that’s not a license to sin. You won’t spend an eternity in hell fire but you will face judgment in this life and loss of eternal rewards at the judgment seat. Here is a good Old Testament example of how it works. This is Balaam prophesying what God told him to say to Balak.

21 He hath not beheld iniquity in Jacob, neither hath he seen perverseness in Israel: the Lord his God is with him, and the shout of a king is among them.

Is God a liar? He hasn’t beheld iniquity or perverseness in Israel? Israel is constantly being punished for sin in the first 5 books. What’s God talking about? Is this a contradiction? Absolutely not. We find that God can withhold the imputation of sin guilt while simultaneously punishing his children for disobedience as was the case with David and the Bathsheba incident and many many occasions with Israel.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 3:42:49 PM EDT
[#17]

53 Jesus said to them, “Very truly I tell you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink His blood, you have no life in you.
58 This is the bread that came down from heaven. Your ancestors ate manna and died, but whoever feeds on this bread will live forever.”
-------

-Orthodox Study Bible

View Quote

Yeah except Jesus himself contradicts your understanding. At the end of the same chapter when his disciples begin murmuring about it and saying it was a hard saying he tells them the following.

63 It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.

It’s the Spirit that gives life not actually eating his flesh.

Peter understands it properly by his response to Jesus.

Note what he says, he doesn’t say you have the Flesh and Blood of life.

68 Then Simon Peter answered him, Lord, to whom shall we go? thou hast the words of eternal life.

Notice the words of eternal life. What was Jesus telling them in John 6? He’s the Son of God, the promised messiah and the work of God is believing in him.

29 Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent.

47 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me hath everlasting life.

Jesus says it himself, we get the everlasting life by believing on him, not by pretending crackers and wine are his flesh and blood.

That’s all from the same chapter. Certain groups like to cherry pick a section out of it without reading the dialogue in it’s entirety.

Link Posted: 5/15/2024 4:45:04 PM EDT
[#18]
As a Vat II Catholic looking for a wholesome bride in the 90s I would have had better luck in the Baptist, Methodist, or Mormon communities. Excess alcohol intake leading to debauchery and ruined reputations was very real and spared few. Seldom if ever mentioned from the pulpit nor enforced by parents because "We're of German descent and Catholic so we drink a lot". Seeing otherwise decent girls drink a couple beers at a party and then an hour later throw away their most precious gift to a smooth-talking stranger is enough to drive any young marriage minded man into despair and misogyny.

Outside the Christian faith I admire the Jews and Muslims for their no tattoos policy. How women can think skin graffiti (and piercings beyond the ear lobes) improves their attractiveness to men is beyond my comprehension.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 9:26:00 PM EDT
[#19]
The Word is the Word and that's what I adhere to.

It's why I'm Non Denomination.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 9:56:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TSmasher] [#20]
Living close to the Amish community I think they truly get what it actually means to be a church and to take care of your brothers. It's amazing to see that community come together to help one of their own out. Other churches cannot even come close to that type of fellowship.

All their health insurance and home insurance is all done through the church. It's really remarkable what that comunity is like.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 11:04:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By TSmasher:
Living close to the Amish community I think they truly get what it actually means to be a church and to take care of your brothers. It's amazing to see that community come together to help one of their own out. Other churches cannot even come close to that type of fellowship.

All their health insurance and home insurance is all done through the church. It's really remarkable what that comunity is like.
View Quote

Yes, almost forgot about the Amish and Mennonites. Imagine people who have real connections and lives instead of staring at screens all day searching for that next artificial dopamine hit.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 11:16:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Mormon here.  Not doctrine but in my mind Jehovah's Witnesses have some dedication to their religion and to the study of scripture I can respect.  
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 12:26:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Anastasios] [#23]
Originally Posted By SavedByTheBlood:

Yeah except Jesus himself contradicts your understanding. At the end of the same chapter when his disciples begin murmuring about it and saying it was a hard saying he tells them the following.

63 It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.

68 Then Simon Peter answered him, Lord, to whom shall we go? thou hast the words of eternal life.

Notice the words of eternal life. What was Jesus telling them in John 6? He’s the Son of God, the promised messiah and the work of God is believing in him.

29 Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent.

47 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me hath everlasting life.

Jesus says it himself, we get the everlasting life by believing on him, not by pretending crackers and wine are his flesh and blood.

That’s all from the same chapter. Certain groups like to cherry pick a section out of it without reading the dialogue in it’s entirety.

View All Quotes

-------

-Orthodox Study Bible

John 6:60-68

60Therefore many of His disciples, when they heard this, said, “This is a hard saying; who can understand it?”

61When Jesus knew in Himself that His disciples complained about this, He said to them, “Does this offend you?62What then if you should see the Son of Man ascend where He was before? 63It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh profits nothing. The words that I speak to you are spirit, and they are life. 64But there are some of you who do not believe.” For Jesus knew from the beginning who they were who did not believe, and who would betray Him. 65And He said, “Therefore I have said to you that no one can come to Me unless it has been granted to him by My Father.”

66From that time many of His disciples went back and walked with Him no more. 67Then Jesus said to the twelve, “Do you also want to go away?”

68But Simon Peter answered Him, “Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life. 69Also we have come to believe and know that You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.”

"Even His disciples took Christ's teaching on His Body and Blood as a hard saying and many walked with Him no more. To this day, there are still those who reject Christ's own words concerning the sacramental eating of His Body and drinking of His Blood, and thus do not walk in His teaching. Because of the difficulty of grasping the depth of this Mystery, many attempt to either to define its nature rationally or to explain away Christ's words altogether, giving them a purely metaphorical meaning. Either extreme is dubious; to reject this sacramental teaching is to reject the witness of the Scriptures and the unanimous teaching of the Church throughout history." - The OSB

Link Posted: 5/16/2024 1:01:29 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By HEATSEAKER:
As a Vat II Catholic looking for a wholesome bride in the 90s I would have had better luck in the Baptist, Methodist, or Mormon communities. Excess alcohol intake leading to debauchery and ruined reputations was very real and spared few. Seldom if ever mentioned from the pulpit nor enforced by parents because "We're of German descent and Catholic so we drink a lot". Seeing otherwise decent girls drink a couple beers at a party and then an hour later throw away their most precious gift to a smooth-talking stranger is enough to drive any young marriage minded man into despair and misogyny.

Outside the Christian faith I admire the Jews and Muslims for their no tattoos policy. How women can think skin graffiti (and piercings beyond the ear lobes) improves their attractiveness to men is beyond my comprehension.
View Quote

I was a Protestant for 64 years. It was my observation in college that Catholic girls were wild and liked a good time. It was easier to find a moral Protestant girl than a moral Catholic girl.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 1:14:35 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By monadh:

I was a Protestant for 64 years. It was my observation in college that Catholic girls were wild and liked a good time. It was easier to find a moral Protestant girl than a moral Catholic girl.
View All Quotes

31Jesus answered and said to them, “Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick. 32I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners, to repentance.”

Link Posted: 5/16/2024 1:29:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: NoImpactNoIdea] [#26]
I consider myself to be a “nondenominational bible believing Christian” but I think that the Norse and Buddhists have a lot of universal truth in their religions.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 7:36:45 AM EDT
[#27]

Yes, almost forgot about the Amish and Mennonites. Imagine people who have real connections and lives instead of staring at screens all day searching for that next artificial dopamine hit.
View Quote

And their fellowship truly extends to all aspects of theor lives not just 2 hrs on Sunday or scheduled service projects. They really get their hands dirty with service. I've seen barns STILL on fire, fire dept is still there.And trucks are pulling up with excavators, bobcats dozers followed buy a semi truck of 2x4s.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 8:44:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SavedByTheBlood] [#28]

View Quote

Goes back to what I said in a previous post about people thinking they’re good because they were  baptized or use confession as a license to sin.

Protestants have issues too. My friends wife went to Hyles Anderson college and had stories of attempting to ferment grape juice in the dorm room, a roommate who only did anal because she was saving her virginity for her husband, many students meeting at the malls to hook up in the bathrooms since the men and women weren’t allowed into the opposite sex’s dorms. Heck I know a Baptist pastor’s son who’s wife’s coworker came to church and got “saved” and the whole time she was engaging in threesomes with them.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 8:48:57 AM EDT
[#29]

The problem with Catholicism and its many doctrines arises because many of us have heard cradle Catholic types use phrases like “hopefully Mary will tell Jesus to let me in”, hopefully I don’t die before confession, I guess I’m going to heaven because I was baptized as a baby, I try to keep the sacraments, etc. We’re simply worried people are placing their faith in the works that they are doing rather than placing them in Jesus Christ and his death, shed  blood and resurrection.

View Quote

It's not a problem with Catholicism or it's doctrines, it's a problem with Catholics and poor catechesis.  Having said that, I'm with you on the sentiment though, I have heard some seriously misled comments.  But, we are all sinners and I am disgustingly far from perfect.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 12:02:18 PM EDT
[#30]

60Therefore many of His disciples, when they heard this, said, “This is a hard saying; who can understand it?”

61When Jesus knew in Himself that His disciples complained about this, He said to them, “Does this offend you?62What then if you should see the Son of Man ascend where He was before? 63It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh profits nothing. The words that I speak to you are spirit, and they are life. 64But there are some of you who do not believe.” For Jesus knew from the beginning who they were who did not believe, and who would betray Him. 65And He said, “Therefore I have said to you that no one can come to Me unless it has been granted to him by My Father.”

66From that time many of His disciples went back and walked with Him no more. 67Then Jesus said to the twelve, “Do you also want to go away?”

68But Simon Peter answered Him, “Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life. 69Also we have come to believe and know that You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.”

"Even His disciples took Christ's teaching on His Body and Blood as a hard saying and many walked with Him no more. To this day, there are still those who reject Christ's own words concerning the sacramental eating of His Body and drinking of His Blood, and thus do not walk in His teaching. Because of the difficulty of grasping the depth of this Mystery, many attempt to either to define its nature rationally or to explain away Christ's words altogether, giving them a purely metaphorical meaning. Either extreme is dubious; to reject this sacramental teaching is to reject the witness of the Scriptures and the unanimous teaching of the Church throughout history." - The OSB

View Quote

A hard saying indeed. To the point that certain groups of Christians think they need to actually eat his flesh and drink his blood. Understanding it as actually needing to drink his blood and eat his flesh as the Jewish crowd did( who mind you, is said to have vail over their eyes and ears that they can’t hear with and a spirit of slumber) isn’t the argument in favor of transubstantiation that you think it is.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 12:06:03 PM EDT
[#31]

It's not a problem with Catholicism or it's doctrines, it's a problem with Catholics and poor catechesis.  Having said that, I'm with you on the sentiment though, I have heard some seriously misled comments.  But, we are all sinners and I am disgustingly far from perfect.
View Quote

Indeed we are all sinners. I just want to make sure the object of people’s faith is in the right place.

It’s possible to be his disciple but not know him. Judas followed him but didn’t believe.

And many will do great things in his name thinking that will justify them but it won’t.

22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?

23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 12:55:11 PM EDT
[#32]

A hard saying indeed. To the point that certain groups of Christians think they need to actually eat his flesh and drink his blood. Understanding it as actually needing to drink his blood and eat his flesh as the Jewish crowd did( who mind you, is said to have vail over their eyes and ears that they can’t hear with and a spirit of slumber) isn’t the argument in favor of transubstantiation that you think it is.
View All Quotes

Very hard, Christians have rightly believed in transubstantiation since the very beginning.  Some heresies popped up here and there but it wasn't really denied until the 16th century.  

Link Posted: 5/16/2024 2:40:03 PM EDT
[#33]

Very hard, Christians have rightly believed in transubstantiation since the very beginning.  Some heresies popped up here and there but it wasn't really denied until the 16th century.  

View All Quotes

If he had lived in the 4th century he probably would've sided with Arianism and denied Christ's Diety as well. Part of the issue with sola scriptura is everyone can read the same book and have a different understanding of it, which is why we have so many Christian denominations. The Protestant reformation really did a disservice to Christianity. Christ didn't come and spend his ministry writing the Bible and say "read this and do the things it says however you interpret it".
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 4:10:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HEATSEAKER] [#34]

31Jesus answered and said to them, “Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick. 32I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners, to repentance.”

View Quote

Repercussions for one's past actions don't end with the absolution prayer. God always forgives, man sometimes forgives, nature NEVER forgives. Your future children deserve the most righteous and family-oriented mother/father you can find for them. They are stuck with the choice YOU make. "Hey Billy, look at these lewd pictures we found of your mom and some guys on spring break, lol."
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 4:52:29 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By MolonLabeFBHO:

If he had lived in the 4th century he probably would've sided with Arianism and denied Christ's Diety as well. Part of the issue with sola scriptura is everyone can read the same book and have a different understanding of it, which is why we have so many Christian denominations. The Protestant reformation really did a disservice to Christianity. Christ didn't come and spend his ministry writing the Bible and say "read this and do the things it says however you interpret it".
View Quote

This isn’t meant to be a Catholic vs. Protestant vs. Anything Else thread. If you or anybody else wants to make one, you’re free to do so. Please keep it on topic.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 7:23:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: brianm] [#36]
View Quote

I agree, the Baptist church I attended treated their Communion as an afterthought, occurring once a month...maybe.

Never sat well how they treated it.

Another one, I deeply appreciate how much reverence many other denominations show towards Mary.  

Also, I love how the Catholic Church distinctly worships and has direct devotion to the Holy Spirit.  Not to say Protestant don't worship the Holy Spirit, but I get the feeling He takes a 'back seat' to the Father and to Christ in some churches.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 10:14:10 AM EDT
[#37]

And their fellowship truly extends to all aspects of theor lives not just 2 hrs on Sunday or scheduled service projects. They really get their hands dirty with service. I've seen barns STILL on fire, fire dept is still there.And trucks are pulling up with excavators, bobcats dozers followed buy a semi truck of 2x4s.
View All Quotes

One of my favorite aspects of Catholicism is it is every single day, the calendar is completely full, the hours of the day; the liturgical life is beautiful.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 2:14:28 PM EDT
[#38]

To your point, which I find beautiful, and a major reason for my conversion:  The protestant attitude (especially early on) towards the Church from which they left was quite vitriolic, and placed the Eucharist front and center.  When they designed their services they did so with the intent to remove any inclination of the real presence and to convince people it wasn't supernatural, and went so far as to refute the Gospel of John (due to John 6).  
View Quote

I mean no disrespect but in this I think you are wrong.  Every Christian knows that Jesus said; "For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them."  If I were to meet with fellow Christians at a home for bible study and to take communion, Jesus will be present and he will sup with us; we all know this because he does not lie.  No formal church building or priest is required. He said we should all do this in remembrance of him; to honor him because it is the word of God that gives us nourishment.   The Catholic Bishops of old took this solemn ritual from the layman and put it upon themselves.  They were wrong to do so.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 3:14:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Anastasios] [#39]
Originally Posted By Ozgur:

I mean no disrespect but in this I think you are wrong.  Every Christian knows that Jesus said; "For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them."  If I were to meet with fellow Christians at a home for bible study and to take communion, Jesus will be present and he will sup with us; we all know this because he does not lie.  No formal church building or priest is required. He said we should all do this in remembrance of him; to honor him because it is the word of God that gives us nourishment.   The Catholic Bishops of old took this solemn ritual from the layman and put it upon themselves.  They were wrong to do so.
View Quote

I know for a fact I need the Orthodox Church. There is no other way for me.

"Sacraments (or mysteries) are holy actions of the Church by which spiritual life is imparted
to those receiving them.

Ordination, which means “setting in place” or “selection by the
outstretched hand,” is one of several Orthodox sacraments. It is extended specifically to
bishops, presbyters (priests), and deacons, and generally to all through Holy Baptism.

1) Bishops. Christ in His ministry ordained or “set in place” the Twelve, assuring them, “You
did not choose Me, but I chose you and appointed you that you should go and bear fruit, and
that your fruit should remain” (Jn 15:16).

Both the New Testament and the church fathers recognize the Twelve as the first bishops
or overseers in the Church. When Judas had fallen away and the disciples were considering
his successor, Peter said, “Let another take his office” (Gr. episkopen, lit., “bishopric”; Acts
1:20). This bishopric was given to Matthias (Acts 1:25).

The apostles—these first bishops—in turn ordained presbyters and deacons.

2) Deacons. The account of the first ordination of deacons (Acts 6:1–6) is quite detailed.
“Seek out from among you seven men of good reputation, full of the Holy Spirit and
wisdom,” the apostles said, “whom we may appoint [Gr. kathistemi, “to set down or ordain”]
over this business” (Acts 6:3). The manner of this appointment is clear: “they laid hands on
them” (Acts 6:6). The ordination of deacons in the Orthodox Church takes place in this same
manner today, through the laying on of hands by the bishop.

3) Presbyters. The first account of the ordination of elders or presbyters is in Acts 14:23. The
apostles Paul and Barnabas “appointed [lit., “elected by stretching forth the hand”] elders in
every church, and prayed with fasting,” then “commended them to the Lord in whom they
had believed.” Similarly, Paul reminds his apostolic apprentice, Titus, “For this reason I left
you in Crete, that you should set in order the things that are lacking, and appoint [set in
place, ordain] elders in every city as I commanded you” (Tts 1:5).

The Titus passage brings to mind the first prayer the bishop prays over one being ordained
to the Orthodox priesthood: “The grace divine, which always heals that which is weak and
completes that which is lacking, elevates through the laying on of my hands this most devout
deacon to be priest.”

The bishop continues to ask God to “fill with the gift of the Holy Spirit this man . . . that he
may be worthy to stand in innocence before Your holy altar, to proclaim the Gospel of Your
Kingdom, to minister the word of Your truth, to offer You spiritual gifts and sacrifices, to
renew Your people through the laver of regeneration.”

A dramatic moment in the service of ordination comes when the candidate is led around
the altar three times, kissing or venerating the four corners of the altar each time. This
symbolizes his marriage to Christ, his death with Christ, and his willingness to serve the
Church sacrificially after the example of his Master.

Ordination is seen as an eternal appointment, “for the gifts and the calling of God are
irrevocable” (Rom 11:29). It is in this spirit that during each Divine Liturgy the priest prays
for his bishop that “the Lord God remember him in His Kingdom always, now and ever, and
unto ages of ages.”

Through the sacrament of ordination in His Church, Christ entrusts to the shepherd the
very salvation of His people’s souls."

- The OSB

ETA-
Acts 6:1-7
  1Now in those days, when the number of the disciples was multiplying, there arose a complaint against the Hebrews by the Hellenists, because their widows were neglected in the daily distribution. 2Then the twelve summoned the multitude of the disciples and said, “It is not desirable that we should leave the word of God and serve tables. 3Therefore, brethren, seek out from among you seven men of good reputation, full of the Holy Spirit and wisdom, whom we may appoint over this business; 4but we will give ourselves continually to prayer and to the ministry of the word.”

5And the saying pleased the whole multitude. And they chose Stephen, a man full of faith and the Holy Spirit, and Philip, Prochorus, Nicanor, Timon, Parmenas, and Nicolas, a proselyte from Antioch, 6whom they set before the apostles; and when they had prayed, they laid hands on them.

7Then the word of God spread, and the number of the disciples multiplied greatly in Jerusalem, and a great many of the priests were obedient to the faith.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 3:55:54 PM EDT
[#40]
I like the Jewish idea of performing a mitzvah (good deed) as a commandment from God.
Top Top