Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 5/14/2024 8:19:41 PM EDT
I just left a birthday party/ family reunion, and two cousins were wearing them. Both of them went on, and on about how awesome they are. I had never heard of HOKA before tonight.

What are y’all’s thoughts about HOKA shoes?
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 8:20:22 PM EDT
[#1]
So they're the vegan who does CrossFit of shoes?
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 8:23:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: smokinghole] [#2]
Originally Posted By Silas:
I just left a birthday party/ family reunion, and two cousins were wearing them. Both of them went on, and on about how awesome they are. I had never heard of HOKA before tonight.

View Quote

As a person that wears zero drop minimalist shoes, they look like hell. I believe our feet were designed to cushion our body and that much foam makes my feet, legs and back ache just from looking at them.  Plus they make the wearers look like they should have a helmet and mouthguard during all hours awake.

ETA: holy shit, they’re expensive! Marketing costs must be high because that shoe is injection molded foam and glue made in some chinese shoe city.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 8:24:55 PM EDT
[#3]
They’re like 5mm drop it’s hard to even notice. I switch back and forth between 0 drop and hokas all the time.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 8:25:58 PM EDT
[#4]
I run in them. Hold up very well.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 8:26:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Altra Olympus 5
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 8:27:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Lorax] [#6]
I have the Trail Codes. Awesome for nice clean trail. It was like backpacking on 9 inches of pine needles. Comfortable for hiking
However, I took them up the boreal forest and rock shorelines of the BWCA and Quetico. Hopping the rocks loading and unloading canoes, they were unstable due to their squishing (stack height I think they call it). Very unsolid in an ankle rolling way. Grippy enough, but too much insole cushioning to be stable. It's a weird thing to be critical of, but I spent 10 days wishing I would have worn anything else for that specific application. But for backpacking.....awesome.

I also have a casual pair, forget what model just for longer days on my feet. They are very comfortable. I think they are Cliftons.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 8:27:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By smokinghole:

As a person that wears zero drop minimalist shoes, they look like hell. I believe our feet were designed to cushion our body and that much foam makes my feet, legs and back ache just from looking at them.  Plus they make the wearers look like they should have a helmet and mouthguard during all hours awake.

ETA: holy shit, they’re expensive! Marketing costs must be high because that shoe is injection molded foam and glue made in some chinese shoe city.
View Quote

As a person who has two fucked up knees and no cartilage in my right ankle, I couldn’t disagree more.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 8:27:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By sabre_kc:
I run work in them. Hold up very well.
View Quote
Fixt for my situation.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 8:28:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 8:28:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Saw a coworker wearing the boots the other day, looked like some shoes Joe Biden would wear, all big heeled floppy in the back.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 8:30:08 PM EDT
[#11]
I went through numerous pairs of Brooks Ghost before trying Hoka Clifton 9s. They look retarded, but I'll never go back to Brooks again.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 8:32:17 PM EDT
[#12]
They are kind of ugly, but they have excellent cushioning. Check out the Bondi or Clifton style

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 8:32:56 PM EDT
[#13]
They have various styles for various activities and foot types, no different than Adidas, Nike, Brooks, or New Balance.  My wife was just fitted for a set at a running shoe store and she is liking them.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 8:33:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Does Hoka have their own version of Slip-Ins?
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 8:34:05 PM EDT
[#15]
they are more fitted to you foot than most others. seems to be more stable.

I have a pair that I run and workout in. very popular in the hospitals.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 8:34:26 PM EDT
[#16]
I have terribly fucked up feet. Hoka Bondi are excellent.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 8:35:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By redfish86:

As a person who has two fucked up knees and no cartilage in my right ankle, I couldn’t disagree more.
View Quote

As someone with cartilage and non-fucked up knees (for now at least), you have my sympathy.

I made my way through cushiony boots and shoes. I can’t wear them anymore, they tire my feet too quickly and make my lower legs hurt because they alter how my body is supposed to interact with the ground. I don’t have fucked up knees or missing cartilage though, I do have likely arthritis to look forward to maybe.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 8:36:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Hamas
Only
Kill
America

Man, I wouldn't.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 8:36:23 PM EDT
[#19]
My mom has a few pairs, but she is 70 and broke her knee cap a few years ago and they help her balance.

I might get some as soon my broken ankle's swelling is reduced.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 8:37:05 PM EDT
[#20]
You will love them or hate them.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 8:38:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Mrs Rabinowitz was an OR RN for 40 years. Of all the shoes she tried the Hoka was the best for her feet, ankles, knees, hips, and back.  She wore them for nearly 20 years.

Nothing came close.  Now she is retired and wears Hokas as do I. We have been all over Europe and Asia Minor wearing Hokas.

They are top shelf in comfort and durability.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 8:39:52 PM EDT
[#22]
My wife is a RN and swears by the Bondi 8. They are expensive but she is on her feet 10-12 hours a day and loves them. They are cheaper than the boots I buy for work.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 8:40:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Have a couple pairs and like them overall but find myself wearing Adidas more and more these days. Just as comfortable and a little cheaper.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 8:40:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Most comfortable shoes I've ever owned.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 8:45:12 PM EDT
[#25]

As a person that wears zero drop minimalist shoes, they look like hell. I believe our feet were designed to cushion our body….
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

As a person that wears zero drop minimalist shoes, they look like hell. I believe our feet were designed to cushion our body….

I hear this a lot from barefoot runners and the like.

That might hold water of humans still walked and ran on dirt and grass instead of asphalt, concrete, tile and hardwood.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 8:46:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Only folks I see wearing them are elderly.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 8:46:52 PM EDT
[#27]
I’m not paying that much for Chinese shoes and I am not above paying a lot more for quality footwear. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 8:53:56 PM EDT
[#28]

As a person that wears zero drop minimalist shoes, they look like hell. I believe our feet were designed to cushion our body and that much foam makes my feet, legs and back ache just from looking at them.  
View Quote

That’s great except we walk on hard, flat surfaces. Our feet are not designed to walk on hard flat surfaces. We are designed to walk on grass and soil. They give your feet cushioning. In the absence of living on the steppes we need padding for the bottom of our feet from good shoes.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 8:55:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Scrote] [#29]
I used to only wear Nike Air Max but they wear out too fast for $200+ shoes.

Upon searching for something new, it was between Brooks and Hoka.

Went with Brooks Ghost Max because I like the colors better and they are extremely comfortable.

Link Posted: 5/14/2024 8:58:47 PM EDT
[#30]
I just bought a pair of Bondi 8's late last week. Digging them so far.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:03:08 PM EDT
[#31]
I walk 4-6 miles a day at work. Hoka are the only shoes I can wear and feel no pain at the end of the day.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:04:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Trey-W] [#32]
HOKAs are great from a comfort level and they are getting much better at making them look more “normal”. You have try on what you are interested in though, almost none of them fit the same. They don’t hold up very long walking on concrete either, I get 6 months out of mine before I wear the soles out.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:05:06 PM EDT
[#33]
They are awesome

I had to return their hiking boots though as they fell apart.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:06:55 PM EDT
[#34]
They're the RVCA of shoes.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:07:33 PM EDT
[#35]
They are good but I like On Clouds better.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:08:40 PM EDT
[#36]
Had plantar fasciitis just before a trip overseas with a lot of walking. Local running shop had me try on Hokas, Reboks and some NBs. The Hokas felt best. Shoes probably saved my life walking around Tokyo because a shift at work in my Stan Smiths would make me crippled. They are pretty soft in my opinion so I switched back to my stans after my feet recovered but I still put them on on days where I know I need to walk a lot. Recommended BUT try other brands to make sure they are the best shoe for any issues you may have
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:10:31 PM EDT
[#37]
I wish their Speedgoats came in their extra wide.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:10:43 PM EDT
[#38]
I’ve tried their runners, too much cushion for me. That said I have a pair of Anacapa Breeze that so far are are awesome. Breath good, not too soft, wide toe box. They’ve held up well to the abuse I’ve put them through.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:10:46 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By JRJ:
I’m not paying that much for Chinese shoes and I am not above paying a lot more for quality footwear. https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/12907/E9BB1F02-FC69-4D7B-87F1-33B8F13ADB54_jpe-3214561.JPG
View Quote

What exactly are we looking at here?
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:11:08 PM EDT
[#40]

View Quote

I’m on my second pair. I didn’t care for the first much, but I am currently using Challenger ATR 7s and they are amazing.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:12:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: anykey] [#41]
Every time I put mine on, all I can think of is "Jimmy's down!"

But, I have bad arthritis in my big toe along with a bone chip, and they are the best I've worn to help with the pain. Worth the money and the goofy look.

Kramer's Loaded and Jimmy's Down | Seinfeld | ©1995 WBTV
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:12:50 PM EDT
[#42]
FJB endorsed!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:13:44 PM EDT
[#43]
I’ve had several pairs, used run for recovery, the sucked to run in, I’ve had two pair of Clifton 9’s and a pair of Mach 5’s. They all held up well. Certain styles with have different purposes.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:15:33 PM EDT
[#44]
Isn't that what they have Biden wearing so he doesn't tip over? Thought I heard that on the news the other day
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:15:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: woodsie] [#45]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Well that's good for you but Hoka shoes got me from a norm of intense pain after a half a mile to running my first half marathon within a year.

Everyone's feet are different but they changed my life.  I can now run as much as I want and as far as I want.

Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:16:24 PM EDT
[#46]

View Quote

A common failing among shoe designers is using LOTS of padding instead of QUALITY padding. They look like you're walking on balloons.

Never buy gigantic thick soles.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:20:22 PM EDT
[#47]
First, they're ugly as fuck.

Second, I'll pay the same price for my Nike Pegasus that aren't ugly as fuck.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:23:07 PM EDT
[#48]
How do they compare to On Cloud?
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:23:51 PM EDT
[#49]
i had the Hoka Cliftons about 2 years ago. i could never get used to them, they just felt… odd. i’m trying brooks next.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:30:05 PM EDT
[#50]
I was having some knee pain and my plantar fasciitis was acting up so I went to one of those places where they scan your feet and gait. I tried on 6 different shoes and the Hokas were the best. I think I spent something stupid like 250.00 for the shoes and inserts but I freaking love them.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Top Top