Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:12:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Give a Man a Fish, and You Feed Him for a Day. Teach a Man To Fish, and You Feed Him for a Lifetime

The government has conditioned people for the first sentence when in fact they should be teaching/encouraging them the second sentence
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:17:24 PM EDT
[#2]
They are poor in relation to you; first world poor.

They are incentivized to stay that way because they are afforded bread and circus.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:56:04 PM EDT
[#3]
It's becuse white people.  Or so I'm told.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:57:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By slapdaddy:
It's becuse white people.  Or so I'm told.
View Quote

What's really funny is GD can't seem to admit that there's plenty of poor white people out there too.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:03:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Ambridge77:

This...

Plus, unlimited immigration to keep undercutting wages for regular jobs here,
all while increasing competition for affordable rent and housing.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Ambridge77:
Originally Posted By GarandM1:
There's no one reason.  Many Americans are poor today because of their horrendous personal choices with drugs, alcohol, and sex.

Then there's ones like my brother, who failed to adequately plan for retirement and are finding out that Social Security covers only a fraction of their cost of living.

And then there's those who got left behind when American companies sold out our industrial base and sent high-paying blue collar jobs overseas, and the job at the local convenience store doesn't come close to making up the difference.

It doesn't help that our government's current policies are designed to make people poorer.

This...

Plus, unlimited immigration to keep undercutting wages for regular jobs here,
all while increasing competition for affordable rent and housing.

Worse than that,  Illegal aliens are coming in from 170 different countries at a cost of 450 Billion dollars a year to the US taxpayer, imagine how much better off it would be for Americans if that money was reinvested in America.

https://americasvoice.news/illegal-immigration-is-costing-our-country-dollar450-billion-per-year/
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:05:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By jackthom8:

What's really funny is GD can't seem to admit that there's plenty of poor white people out there too.
View Quote

What's also funny is how GD sees everything in terms of race, while the left is all hung up on class.  It goes way deeper than that, but there it is in a nutshell.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:05:51 PM EDT
[#7]
I went to Walmart earlier and the "disabled vet please help" guy was there as usual talking on his smartphone and pounding energy drinks like he does every single day. Does he count as poor?
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:11:37 PM EDT
[#8]
When you subsidize something you get more of it.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:11:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Cause the government screws the American people at every turn.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:38:44 PM EDT
[#10]
There are no poor in this country.  Go visit countries where they are lucky to get enough calories to keep on living.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:53:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SkyFive] [#11]
It's a complex issue, many aspects. Go to Appalachia Virginia and Kentucky, then get back to us.

ETA; It's much easier to get ahead when you get a head start.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 4:00:56 PM EDT
[#12]
George Carlin It's a big club
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 4:05:22 PM EDT
[#13]
As long as there are rich, they'll ALWAYS be poor.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 4:08:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By SkyFive:
It's a complex issue, many aspects. Go to Appalachia Virginia and Kentucky, then get back to us.

ETA; It's much easier to get ahead when you get a head start.
View Quote

I am already in Kentucky.  While it is indeed much easier to get ahead when you get a good head start, I have known successful people who didn't get that head start, and I have known failures who did have a head start.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 4:08:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By FrankSymptoms:
Figure on average, one half TRILLION dollars per year spent on various aid to the poor programs in America, since LBJ left office.
Something like $2.75 trillion if my numbers are correct.
Why dey be po' folks nowadays? Somting's rong.
View Quote
I mean, yes, things are wrong but ... no, we will never not have poor people.

That is not a condition that can be fixed by humans, it's knot headed to think we can, and you see the evils that result of trying to fix it when it's not possible to.

You just do the best you can and give people what the earn and deserve and show no partiality to anyone for any reasons ever.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 4:14:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mazawakhan] [#16]
We have very few poverty stricken people in this country. The standard of living is so high they just appear to be living in poverty. I’ve been to the third world and have seen abject poverty. These people with their iPhones, flushing toilets, running water, microwave, refrigerators,Xbox’s and flat screen tv’s running around bitching and complaining are not poor.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 4:17:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MADMAXXX] [#17]
American "poor" live better than the middle class in most countries in the world.
In the USA the minimum wage is $7.25 per hour, in many states it is much higher.
I believe California has $20 per hour minimum wage effective April 1, 2024
I live in Thailand where in Bangkok they just raised the minimum wage to $9.82.
Not $9.82 per hour minimum wage but rather $9.82 per day minimum wage.  
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 4:24:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Did that amount of money actually get to the end user, or is that including the agencies overhead distributing it too?

When they removed the stigma of access to EBT, and allowed them to buy anything they wanted with it. The food that they used to get was in a nondescript box, or off brand. Now they can get lobsters and steaks by the buggy full. I can not hardly stand in a line now at a register and not judge these people.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 4:33:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TurtlesAlltheWayDown] [#19]
Originally Posted By Seabee_Mech:
We have some of the richest poor people in the world, that have luxuries like cable TV, cell phones, get "free" food and regularly buy stuff like scratchers and alcohol. Venture out in the world to see real poor.
View Quote

Our poor live better lives than any human in the history of mankind.  Kings and queens of history would trade it all for air conditioning, endless food, an iPhone, and a hospital

And poverty, in the super majority of cases, is due to mindset.  Poverty tends to reproduce (poor people with bad habits create children with bad habits). Sure sometimes a hardworking person gets a bad shake but in the USA if you’re hungry enough you’ll be just fine.  Everyone “wants it” until they see a septic cleaning company hiring.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 4:34:23 PM EDT
[#20]
It takes all kinds to make the world go around.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 4:51:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By FrankSymptoms:
Figure on average, one half TRILLION dollars per year spent on various aid to the poor programs in America, since LBJ left office.
Something like $2.75 trillion if my numbers are correct.
Why dey be po' folks nowadays? Somting's rong.
View Quote

Because with the government, greater than 90 cents of every dollar goes to "administrative costs", not to the stated task.  Not that it would help if the percentages were better; giving poor people money just doesn't solve poverty.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 5:01:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 545days] [#22]
The Democrats think we are running low on poor people, so that are bringing in more from across the border.

Strangely, young people are finding that housing is more expensive, and entry level jobs don't pay enough.  I'm sure that all the illegal immigrant we have added over the past few years have nothing to do with that though...
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 5:02:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By jackthom8:

View Quote

You remind us literally everyday.  The patron saint of poor people.  
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 5:04:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Government programs. They are encouraging it because it makes people easier to control.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 5:09:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Because they don't know how to use welfare.

California pays a family of four on welfare $71,063 in benefits including Obama Care.

23 other states pay MORE then CA including WA $122,653, TX $73,997, and PA $82,888.  

Source (.PDF)
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 5:12:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By JVD:I think in WI and upper Michigan too.
View Quote

The state prison in Marquette has a pretty big effect on IQ, poverty, and race statistics since it's big and the population is small.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 5:14:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By RayFromJersey:
Even if you were to give a bunch of our country's tax dollars to the poor directly, they would all most likely stay poor. I'm not talking a few hundred to a couple thousand bucks either, I'm talking $100,000.

You give a poor person $100,000 and they'll most likely pay some bills, buy some toys, then be back into the same hole they were in very soon.
View Quote

My old neighbors in CA won the lottery.

She was a postal delivery clerk and every week they'd buy tickets and their team hit. She ended up with a couple of million dollars. They bought four new Cadillacs, she sent all the kids to college, and they had lost the home about 7-years later. I hope the kids took mom in.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 5:16:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By slapdaddy:

What's also funny is how GD sees everything in terms of race, while the left is all hung up on class.  It goes way deeper than that, but there it is in a nutshell.
View Quote

I hear the left in the United States go on 25-hours a day about race.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 5:18:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Ranxerox911:

Because with the government, greater than 90 cents of every dollar goes to "administrative costs", not to the stated task.  Not that it would help if the percentages were better; giving poor people money just doesn't solve poverty.
View Quote

@Ranxerox911

Cite?

I'd love to see your source document on that please. I'll add it to my collection.

Thank you.

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 5:33:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1saxman] [#30]
Originally Posted By Joker117:
Being poor is like being stupid. You can't fix it no matter how much money you throw at it.

View Quote

Absolutely. This is still the land of opportunity, but it takes drive and determination now, more than ever. So many attack the 'boomers' as being the cause, but they're really your salvation. There are millions of them all over the place and they're getting old. They really need services and they're willing to pay for them. Handyman, gardener, lawn service, landscaping, tree service, mulching, painting, gutter cleaning and countless small, medium and large jobs, like house washing, car detailing, and on and on. If the government did not support them, they would be forced to get up off the sofa and actually do something. I found this out for myself over 30 years ago. My sons lived in another state, and when they got to be 18 I stopped sending their Mom their support money and started sending it direct to them. I continued until they were about 20, and I realized all I was doing was enabling the same old lifestyle by insuring they had just enough to get by without striving to better themselves - so I cut them off. The older one got married but still wasn't getting anywhere - until he went back to school at the age of 41 and is now a hi-school science teacher. The other one also floundered for a while but eventually had his own computer company and is doing very well.
Like the very popular You Tube video of 20 years ago, 'It's time to take down the bird feeder.'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MI-vkUlnC0o
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 5:35:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Explorer225:
Mindset usually.  

Although it isn't a popular opinion too many young men can't keep their dick in their pants.
View Quote

And they're too lazy to take responsibility for it.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 5:42:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Give everyone in the US a million dollars and in a short time a number of people would be at the bottom and others at the top. Human nature.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 5:47:34 PM EDT
[#33]
The truth is the easy part...making a lot of money is actually incredibly easy.

What are you willing to sacrifice?
What are you willing to risk?
How hard are you willing to work?
How many hours are you prepared to invest?

That's honestly all there is to it.
Most folks want some balance of leisure time and income. Some only care about leisure. So only care about income.  Figure out the answer to these questions and accept the output. Not everyone is willing to do what it takes to make a lot of money.

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 5:52:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FMJshooter] [#34]
I was a bit of a poor loser youth myself and have participated in the hoodrat side of society.

They believe they are there because of you. They have a core belief that the world is rigged against them and will come up with 10000 reasons why they can't work their way out. That is also why they hate anyone who isn't in their little circle and have no problem robbing and killing, it's just deserts. Obviously this is even more prevelant amongst blacks because liberals are constantly telling them that their fears are even more true than they had imagined.

There are semi retarded/mentally fucked people and addicts that simply can't do better but they're not the majority.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 6:05:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FMJshooter] [#35]
I will also add; when you're young and impressionable their bs about the system being rigged is rather convincing. You have to cut all of them  out of your life, they will absolutely fuck with you if you try and do better the honest way. I think they're terrified that if you do make it they will have to face their own bullshit lies. This can be incredibly difficult if your family consists of those people. I knew some really good people that I guarantee are still stuck in the hood or dead because of it even though they know they are capable of doing better.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 6:09:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By wakeboarder:

Single NODS with visible laser
View Quote

troof.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 6:10:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By California_Kid:
75-inch TVs, brand-new iPhones, and "spinner" wheel covers on their Cadillac Escalades.
View Quote

also accurate. they use wic to pay at fresh market when im paying high dollar on my card for last minute chicks. (after working 32hr on a weekend and then picking up OT the next day).
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 6:27:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By RattleCanAR:

Now do IQ.
View All Quotes

Now do IQ.

The best I can do is by state.  No real correlation.

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 6:30:41 PM EDT
[#39]
you could give every poor person a million dollars. a year later most of them would be even more impoverished than before they got the million.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 6:38:02 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By GDaawg:

Low IQ and low income corralate. Not everyone can be a mathematician or physicist. Lots of people inbetween smart and dumb as well.

There is nothing that can change genetics until pregnancy is regulated or some sort of DNA manipulator is applied to a fetus so everyone has a smart kid.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By GDaawg:
Originally Posted By Joker117:
Being poor is like being stupid. You can't fix it no matter how much money you throw at it.

Low IQ and low income corralate. Not everyone can be a mathematician or physicist. Lots of people inbetween smart and dumb as well.

There is nothing that can change genetics until pregnancy is regulated or some sort of DNA manipulator is applied to a fetus so everyone has a smart kid.

Plenty of stupid people used to.make a decent living by doing manual labor.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 6:48:42 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By SWIRE:

https://th.bing.com/th/id/OIP.hmg81rzyodx4uQapYVAoPwHaFF?rs=1&pid=ImgDetMain

View All Quotes

Now do IQ.

Now do demographics
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:19:04 PM EDT
[#42]

How many of those are Repuvlican dominated?
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:41:38 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By DubyaB:

Half trillion per year 2.75. Trillion = 5.5 years
Lbj left office 75 years ago

Half trillion is 500 billion

I think
View Quote

27.5 trillion based on the math of LBJ leaving 55 years ago.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:46:13 PM EDT
[#44]
The great unsaid is that people who have an IQ under 90 are probably going to be poor, regardless of their race or of their family background. A really stupid person who inherits money won't keep it long.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:48:53 PM EDT
[#45]
Some of the best times of my life happened when I was poor.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:04:21 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By HRoark87:
Some of the best times of my life happened when I was poor.
View Quote
Now that I think about it, me too. My first loan was $1200. for a car, I earned about $130. a week. I felt like I was drowning in debt. My first apartment was a loft, an attic actually over the landlords house, $65. a month. I had some good times in that apartment at 18 years old.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:22:38 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Chokey:
laziness and poor life decisions
View Quote

I was going to say laziness and stupidity...but yeah.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:33:47 PM EDT
[#48]
The poor are needed to justify social services programs tagged to the poor.  

Social services programs exist to return a small fraction of government spending on these programs to the political class.  

Spending goes to poverty vendors who kick back support and donations to the political industry.

Other spending, that goes directly to the poor, is taken back by vendors of poverty drugs, poverty alcohol, poverty tobacco, poverty housing, etc.  A fraction of that spending goes back to the political industry.

More poor => more poverty services spending => more dollars to poverty vendors => more kick back money to the political industry.

Lets not forget that everybody enrolled in social services will be registered to vote, will have a mail in ballot/ballots printed for them, will have that ballot or ballots marked for Leftist candidates and will have those ballots voted.

So, the poor are not just slaves on the poverty plantation, they are also cash cows on the poverty ranch.  

Oops, almost forgot, homeless poor can be moved around to tank property values so property can be bought for pennies on the dollar and then redeveloped after poor are moved out.  Redeveloped at very large profit, some of which is kicked back to the political industry.

These are some of the ways that Socialism, Communism, Fascism, Green, Liberal, Progressive, etc. work.  From the many everything, to the few everything.

It's a business plan that works, and a very popular one too.

Guess which political party owns the poverty slaves?  

Guess which party owns the cash cows?

Anyone?  Anyone?
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 10:02:44 PM EDT
[#49]

Now do demographics
View All Quotes

Now do IQ.

Now do demographics

Those dependent on the government come in all forms.  The demographics of the urban areas with high poverty are the opposite of the even higher poverty in the Appalachian mountains.  Both areas pass on knowledge on how to continue on with their multi-generation welfare scams.  
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 10:04:10 PM EDT
[#50]

Those dependent on the government come in all forms.  The demographics of the urban areas with high poverty are the opposite of the even higher poverty in the Appalachian mountains.  Both areas pass on knowledge on how to continue on with their multi-generation welfare scams.  
View All Quotes

Now do IQ.

Now do demographics

Now do religiosity
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top