Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/10/2024 3:09:16 PM EDT
why did sig discontinue 40 cal  and357 sig cal in there guns? started shooting my2022 sig and kinda like it so what happened to all other pistols?
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 7:57:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ghostface] [#1]
Most everyone is drinking that 9mm Kool aid, so much so Ive seen people recommend 9mm for bear defense....lmao

It's a shame because the .40 is a damned good caliber and shooter in the classic and 320 line up.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 9:48:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Presumably because sales were too low to justify production.  Insufficient demand is usually the reason for product discontinuation.

.40 S&W is currently in sharp decline as LE agencies are dumping it for 9mm & civilians are following suit.  I think it's less popular than .380 ACP in ammo sales right now.

.357 SIG has basically been dead on the vine for a while, if it ever was really successful.  
Federal has just 1 load* (an FMJ!), Win has a veritable smorgasbord of 4 whole loads* (3 fewer than they have in 10mm), and Rem & Hornady have a whopping 2 loads each*.

* Catalogued, what they are actually making or will ever make again may or may not be the same thing.

I'm not saying it's not a decent round, just that  it never got that popular, and almost nobody is currently buying it.

Link Posted: 5/11/2024 10:37:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Ghostface:
Most everyone is drinking that 9mm Kool aid, so much so Ive seen people recommend 9mm for bear defense....lmao

It's a shame because the .40 is a damned good caliber and shooter in the classic and 320 line up.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/4827/IMG_0038_jpeg-3149735_jpeg-3210803.JPG
View Quote

I've purchased 5 SIG P2xx series pistols these last 2 months. In fact, I'm waiting for another P229R to come in on Monday. All of them are in 40s&w with 357SIG bbls.
Oh, my last one is P227R in 45acp. Can't go wrong with any 9f these calibers!
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 11:12:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Diminished LE demand.

No other reason.

.40 training anmo is more expensive than 9mm.

It takes more rounds (and time) on-average for LE to qualify with .40

The small benefit in penetration and bullet expansion for .40 versus 9mm does not justify the added cost of .40

Specialty squads (“SWAT” and such) have access to whatever caliber of the month the boss thinks is cool.

A well-trained lawman with a 9mm MP5 probably doesn’t “need” some other caliber to stitch up bad guys in the hallway of the roach motel.

But they DO make it in 10mm if you’re really into that.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 1:21:58 PM EDT
[#5]
A shame as the P229 is one of the best platforms for the round.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 1:51:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Because people quit buying them.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:28:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Ghostface] [#7]
Originally Posted By M4Michael:
View Quote

Yes sir! I have a couple, both in .40! Ill get another when funds allow…

Originally Posted By Ameshawki:
Because people quit buying them.
View Quote

I continue you buy them but unfortunately they are all used because I can’t buy what they won’t sell... I’d like a full sized FDE optics ready 320 in .40 on an AXG frame but I’m not going to piece together another one because it cost so much to do it. it’s funny Glock, Beretta and S&W still make .40s but somehow magically no one was buying Sig .40s? C’mon….maybe not to the extent the beam counters at Sig wants but people are still buying enough of other brand .40s because they are still in production.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 2:13:44 PM EDT
[#8]
View Quote
++1.  I have both 357 and .40 barrels for mine and it is my most accurate handgun in either caliber.  

I bought a decent supply of both a few years back when they were both plentiful; but I usually carry it with the .40 but the .357 is more impressive.

Link Posted: 5/31/2024 9:29:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By piperpa24:
++1.  I have both 357 and .40 barrels for mine and it is my most accurate handgun in either caliber.  

I bought a decent supply of both a few years back when they were both plentiful; but I usually carry it with the .40 but the .357 is more impressive.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By piperpa24:

Should have seen the looks I was getting this past weekend when I was shooting my P229 in 357SIG. The muzzle flash was impressive.
Link Posted: 5/31/2024 9:50:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Because its cheaper for them to consolidate caliber offerings.  Annoying for us tho.  I love 40
Link Posted: 5/31/2024 10:07:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Attachment Attached File

Both of my SIGs are .40 S&W. Love 'em.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top