Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/13/2024 9:47:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Mindfull]
I have a couple rows of dwarf golden delicious apple tress, they are 7 years old this spring. Never any issues with them, always healthy and produced a ton the last couple years.
They all look fantastic except this one. It was fine a couple weeks ago. Bloomed, tons of flowers and buds.
Was checking the trees on thursday and all looked good.
Neighbor sprayed his corn field friday.
Yesterday I noticed wilted leaves and when I pulled in this am, half the tree is brown and the leaves are still wilted and easy to pull off.
All other trees are fine, no wilting or browning. Nice, full green leaves with lots of fruit starting to grow.

If its a fungus, ill spray all my tress to get on top of it. If its a herbicide, this tress pretty much toast isn't it?

Thanks for the help

Link Posted: 5/13/2024 10:01:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Urimaginaryfrnd] [#1]
Any chance the field next to it was sprayed with roundup?
I’d prune off the low limbs with leaf damage and watch the top that’s still green. You may take a small limb to a nursery and get a better opinion.  I had a walnut tree that looked like that trimmed it and the tree is still alive two years later.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 10:05:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Your local Ag/Extension Office should be able to tell the difference between herbicide and fungus.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 10:08:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Almost looks like root damage.  How long ago did you drive those T-posts?  Any of them give you a particularly hard time?
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 10:26:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Mindfull] [#4]
I wasn't sure if it would of been herbicide because the grass looks fine.

Two t posts have been with each tree since I planted them. I had deer fencing secured to the posts and had mulch around the trees until last fall when I took down the fencing and cleared away the mulch.

When the derecho came though in 2020, I had four trees on the north side bend and half uproot. This tree was one of them. I tipped them back up, added some fertilizer and packed a bunch of dirt around the bases of them. I added two more t posts at that time and some straps to keep them stable and secure.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 10:37:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By flcracker:
Your local Ag/Extension Office should be able to tell the difference between herbicide and fungus.
View Quote

Great idea
I gave my local one a call, they gave me their "master gardners" number. I left a detailed message and I'll see what they say.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 12:42:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Mindfull:

Great idea
I gave my local one a call, they gave me their "master gardners" number. I left a detailed message and I'll see what they say.
View Quote

Cool!  Both my mother and my daughter are Florida Master Gardeners.  My 89 yo mom takes the calls at the local extension office 2-3 days a week.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 1:00:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Your neighbor may have sprayed a broad leaf weed killer.  A chemical company hit a young live oak I have with 2-4,d while spraying my field.  It lost all of it's leaves, but they came back.  No clue how your tree will respond.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 1:20:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AaronR] [#8]
that's not from the cornfield being sprayed. the lowest visible part of the trunk looks wet. those gator bag gimmicks caused disease and wet rot. restricting air flow and trapping moisture about the trunk is not a good idea.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 2:15:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mindfull] [#9]
Originally Posted By AaronR:
that's not from the cornfield being sprayed. the lowest visible part of the trunk looks wet. those gator bag gimmicks caused disease and wet rot. restricting air flow and trapping moisture about the trunk is not a good idea.
View Quote

Its was raining when I took those photos. Everything was wet.
I put those bags on every fruit tree starting May 1st and I take them off the end of September and store them for the winter and haven't had any issues before.
I haven't had to use them yet though because we have received plenty of rain.
Could only using them for a couple months a year still cause those issues?
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 5:34:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#10]
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 6:20:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Kitties-with-Sigs:

OP, why is that thing wrapped around the bottom of the tree?

Is the damage on one side of the tree?  Or all the way around the bottom limbs?

Ain't sayin' it's absolutely not herbicide damage.  I just need to see a whole photo.

Okay I just saw the post above, but still don't understand why you are putting those on your trees for the summer?  It's not "a couple of months."  It's five months per year based on what you said.   Trees need airflow.  The bark needs air flow.  

What is the purpose of that thing?
View Quote

The green bag? It provides the tree water over a 30 minute period instead of just dosing it with a bunch of water at once.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 6:28:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#12]
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 6:35:44 PM EDT
[#13]

The green bag? It provides the tree water over a 30 minute period instead of just dosing it with a bunch of water at once.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

OP, why is that thing wrapped around the bottom of the tree?

Is the damage on one side of the tree?  Or all the way around the bottom limbs?

Ain't sayin' it's absolutely not herbicide damage.  I just need to see a whole photo.

Okay I just saw the post above, but still don't understand why you are putting those on your trees for the summer?  It's not "a couple of months."  It's five months per year based on what you said.   Trees need airflow.  The bark needs air flow.  

What is the purpose of that thing?

think he is asking about the corrugate tree guard.... have those been on since you bought the trees? they look tight.

those are creating a dark and moist environment that can create damage and cause the bark to become diseased

5 months is plenty of time for mold and fungus, and various critters and insects to inhabit that space, and cause damage
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 6:41:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 6:43:17 PM EDT
[#15]

Ohhhh..   Yeah I would not use those.   Anything you wrap around the trunk is going to cause rot and other fungal infections.  Fruit trees are prone to those anyway.  That bark needs air.

If you feel the need to water slowly, there are other ways to do that without compromising the health of the tree.

As I mentioned, is the damage all on ONE SIDE of the tree or is it all around the bottom limbs?

It looks more like a fungal infection or virus than herbicide damage, but seeing exactly where it is on the tree--which limbs are affected, would help to ID it.

View Quote

The couple months statement was that I fill the bags with water regularly every couple months. Like two times a week during mid/late June through late July. The rest of that time they are filled once a week or every other week if they need it.
What are your suggestions on how to water them?
During summer months it gets 80s/90s with no rain for extended periods of time regularly.
I have to trailer a 100 gallon water tank out there to water them and fill the bags.

The first couple years we had fruit, they all dried up and fell off and more than one nursery recommended the above bags

The brown and dieing leave are on the one side closest to the corn field. The other side leaves are green but look wilted.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 6:44:59 PM EDT
[#16]

think he is asking about the corrugate tree guard.... have those been on since you bought the trees? they look tight.

those are creating a dark and moist environment that can create damage and cause the bark to become diseased

5 months is plenty of time for mold and fungus, and various critters and insects to inhabit that space, and cause damage
View Quote

They have been on the entire time. They are slit on one side to expand.  Should I take them off asap? I left them on for protection against rabbits but if they are causing more harm than good, ill get rid of them.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 6:47:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#17]
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 6:55:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 7:00:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Cut off a damaged limb and take a photo of the inside of it..

I mean take a photo of the cross-section.  So we can see the color of the cambium layer.  

As far as watering, I drill holes in five-gallon buckets if I need to slow water.  If other people are using these in your area successfully, and you didn't just take the advice of the nursery that sold them to you, then maybe they work.  But between that white stuff and the green bags, it looks to me like the trunks never get air flow.  That's disease waiting to happen.

If you've got master gardeners coming out, who are familiar with fruit trees in your area, let's hear what they have to say.

Those leaves look like disease to me, more than chem damage.  But it could be.  Really difficult to see the whole situation with a couple of pics on the internet.

Being present is always better.

View Quote

I appreciate all the help from you guys.
I'll be out here taking care of stuff for a little while longer, so if you need to see anymore pictures,  just ask.

Side thats not brown.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 7:05:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mindfull] [#20]
I have honestly  never seen any tree trunk bundled up like that with something tight around it, then a water bag around that.

So...

1-Basically for the entire growing season, the tree trunk gets zero air movement, as far as I can tell.  Is that the case?

2-Also...Are the trees set a little bit high?  Is that why there is a mound up around them?

3-Is that a hole beside the root ball on the left side of the main photo?  Has something been digging around the tree?

View Quote

This is how the water bags are around the tree. They aren't up against the bark, but they are around the trunk.. The white protection is though and ill remove those asap if you guys think I should.

2. The trees were level with the ground, but after the derecho i packed extra dirt around the trees to secure them. So, there is a little mount around those 4 trees.

3. I just checked, here's no hole. It was from me getting over zealous weed eating the other day.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 7:14:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 7:18:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 7:26:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mindfull] [#23]
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 7:38:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#24]
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 7:44:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mindfull] [#25]

Any obvious damage that you can see?

Is the bark intact and just wet and dirty?
View Quote

No damage, just wet.
Lots of ants
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 7:48:46 PM EDT
[#26]
View Quote

not looking good to me

rigid mesh guards are better if you have to protect from critters; they allow air movement and don't trap the moisture

established trees only need rain or watering once ever 7-10 days; consider engineering a barrel gravity drip irrigation if you are serious about having apple trees

Link Posted: 5/13/2024 7:51:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AaronR] [#27]

No damage, just wet.
Lots of ants
View All Quotes

Any obvious damage that you can see?

Is the bark intact and just wet and dirty?

No damage, just wet.
Lots of ants

or dampwood termites

maybe I am looking the wrong photo, but the bark on that trunk looks severely compromised when the photo is fully expanded on my 2k monitor screen

also, I can think herbicide damage showing up in just 1 limb of 1 tree to be highly unlikely
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 2:47:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Looks like possible fire blight damage to me. A “shepards crook” at the end of the limb is a sign of fire blight. Interested to see what it turns out to be
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 5:04:30 PM EDT
[#29]
I spoke with the Gardner yesterday. Sent her the pictures she requested. She sent me a message this am that she was still looking into it.
Neighbor got back to me as well and said it was a 2,4 D that was sprayed.

I took off the water bags and white protectors lastnight. I'll just put the bags on when I need to water them and then take them off when I don't use them.
What do you guys recommend to keep rabbits and other undesirables from chewing on the trunks?

I'll keep you all updated.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 5:08:45 PM EDT
[#30]
I spoke with the Gardner yesterday. Sent her the pictures she requested. She sent me a message this am that she was still looking into it.
Neighbor got back to me as well and said it was a 2,4 D that was sprayed.

I took off the water bags and white protectors lastnight. I'll just put the bags on when I need to water them and then take them off when I don't use them.
What do you guys recommend to keep rabbits and other undesirables from chewing on the trunks?

I'll keep you all updated.
View Quote

We use little cages made of hardware cloth.  They can help keep surrounding mulch from piling up against the tree too.

I'm still voting for root damage, possibly brought on by the tree being blown over and re-set.  Will be interesting to see what the real diagnosis turns out to be.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 5:59:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 8:17:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Fire blight eoild be my first guess if it's not herbicide. Is all the damage on the field side?
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 8:51:23 PM EDT
[#33]

I agree that the bark does look compromised.

Will be interested to see it as it dries out.   I feel like there is root rot/fungal damage of some kind.   2, 4-D has a very particular look to the damage usually.  That is not the look, and now that we know it was 2,4-D, I'm even less convinced that is chemical damage.

However, there are always exceptions to every rule.

I'm deeply worried about that tree at this point.  Perhaps OP's changes will help..

View All Quotes

or dampwood termites

maybe I am looking the wrong photo, but the bark on that trunk looks severely compromised when the photo is fully expanded on my 2k monitor screen

also, I can think herbicide damage showing up in just 1 limb of 1 tree to be highly unlikely

I agree that the bark does look compromised.

Will be interested to see it as it dries out.   I feel like there is root rot/fungal damage of some kind.   2, 4-D has a very particular look to the damage usually.  That is not the look, and now that we know it was 2,4-D, I'm even less convinced that is chemical damage.

However, there are always exceptions to every rule.

I'm deeply worried about that tree at this point.  Perhaps OP's changes will help..

I am currently at the OP maybe being mistaken regarding what he identified as "lots of ants". I think the photo suggests termite (subterranean) damage to the bark, with larvae and maybe nymphs visible in that photo. I was hoping he would confirm they are definitely ants and not termites.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 10:17:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mindfull] [#34]

I am currently at the OP maybe being mistaken regarding what he identified as "lots of ants". I think the photo suggests termite (subterranean) damage to the bark, with larvae and maybe nymphs visible in that photo. I was hoping he would confirm they are definitely ants and not termites.
View Quote

I was gone by then and didn't verify. They looked like those small black ants that invade your plate during a picnic. Nothing there tonight.
I ran my hand up and down the bark tonight, didn't feel any rotten or soft wood.
I'll wash it and rub it down tomorrow and post some clearer photos.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 10:47:48 PM EDT
[#35]

I was gone by then and didn't verify. They looked like those small black ants that invade your plate during a picnic. Nothing there tonight.
I ran my hand up and down the bark tonight, didn't feel any rotten or soft wood.
View All Quotes

termites in reproductive stage will look very similar to tiny black ants. the presence of all that mud on the bark suggests mud tubing from subterranean termites. to differentiate them from ants, the termites will have straight antennae, and a head with elongated abdomen. ants will have bent antennae and an a tight waist separating the thorax from the abdomen. if subterranean termites, they will have returned to the soil once you removed the corrugated protector that was holding the moist, warm environment.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 1:33:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#36]
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 4:41:27 PM EDT
[#37]

Link Posted: 5/15/2024 6:51:30 PM EDT
[#38]

have to wonder what's left of the root ball
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 11:11:37 PM EDT
[#39]

I put those bags on every fruit tree starting May 1st and I take them off the end of September and store them for the winter and haven't had any issues before.
View All Quotes

I had a peach tree die like that simply from some bentonite clay around the trunk as a weed suppressant.  The other trees were fine.  Perpetual moisture at the trunk of most tree species is not goood
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 12:08:43 PM EDT
[#40]
She checked it out.

She said it was planted to deep. That the dirt gridles the tree and suffocates it. Sometimes it can kill a tree in one year or ten.
Said I put to much dirt on top after the deracheo.

She said I need to change the grade to match the root flare and then put 2 inches of mulch on top and just watch it.

No termite damage or fungus issues.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 1:35:30 PM EDT
[#41]
Dug out all four trees until the root flare was exposed. Learned a valuable lesson today. Didn't know when you planted trees that the root flare had to be exposed.
Hope it survives. I guess we will find out next spring.
Thanks for the help gents.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 6:58:21 PM EDT
[#42]
My wife and I learned the hard way too.  We didn't lose too many we wanted, but we learned the first time at least!
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 10:51:16 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 10:59:40 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 11:11:24 PM EDT
[#45]
I've already trimmed the tree and burned the branches after I got the root flare exposed. I would definitely be interested in that landscape thread if you dig it up.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 11:49:37 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 8:12:20 AM EDT
[#47]
OP, the mistakes that you made are really common, and most of us have made them.  If an aspiring tree planter follows the following guide, it will avoid most of the most common issues created by improper tree planting: linky

I don't have fruit trees, but know plenty of folks that do.  Unfortunately, they can be kind of pain in the ass to get established and IMO require a little closer eye than many other species.  That said, I wish I had time to dedicate to planting a small orchard.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 8:27:23 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Buckshot4U:
OP, the mistakes that you made are really common, and most of us have made them.  If an aspiring tree planter follows the following guide, it will avoid most of the most common issues created by improper tree planting: linky

I don't have fruit trees, but know plenty of folks that do.  Unfortunately, they can be kind of pain in the ass to get established and IMO require a little closer eye than many other species.  That said, I wish I had time to dedicate to planting a small orchard.
View Quote

Great link. Everything she told me was in it.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 8:31:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HotHolster] [#49]
Deleted.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 8:39:45 AM EDT
[#50]
She checked it out.

She said it was planted to deep. That the dirt gridles the tree and suffocates it. Sometimes it can kill a tree in one year or ten.
Said I put to much dirt on top after the deracheo.

She said I need to change the grade to match the root flare and then put 2 inches of mulch on top and just watch it.

No termite damage or fungus issues.
View Quote

How did she explain all that damage half way up the trunk of the tree in this photo? Did you mention you encountered "lots of ants" when you removed protectors to her?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top