Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/13/2024 11:45:37 AM EDT
Already have enough eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee in my life and looking for new ear muffs to protect what is left.  

Requirements:
  • Behind the head
  • Gel ear cups
  • FM radio (don't care about Bluetooth)
  • $500 or less
Haven't found anything in the internet searches, arfcom to the rescue...

Link Posted: 5/13/2024 11:56:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 11:58:50 AM EDT
[#2]
I just use 3M foamies, 32dBmV noise reduction, or basic over-the-ear muffs. I don't quite get the need to listen to (what amounts to loud) music when you are trying to reduce audio levels.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 12:01:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By intheburbs:
Do you already have some Bluetooth earbuds?  I just wear a pair of $30 muffs, like 28 nrr, but with my earbuds inside the cups to listen to music, podcasts, etc.
View Quote

This.
I've never had good luck with muffs when I start adding requirements.
Especially behind the head style.
I have cheap peltors and a cheap corded in ear blue tooth headset. Stream radio when I want it but usually play a podcast.
If I mow over either one of them, NBD.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 12:03:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By DrafterDan:
I just use 3M foamies, 32dBmV noise reduction, or basic over-the-ear muffs. I don't quite get the need to listen to (what amounts to loud) music when you are trying to reduce audio levels.
View Quote

The muffs quiet things down, then you can listen at a reasonable volume. I don't have much to mow, but my buddy spends an hour on his mower. I'm sure others run as long or longer.
When I add in trimming and blowing I'll spend an hour or so on my yard. Longer if I also have to chip.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 12:20:45 PM EDT
[#5]
I have the 3m Bluetooth muffs. I’m happy with them, battery life is good, connection is quick and doesn’t seem to struggle. Controls are simple but effective. They don’t go behind the head though. I’m not sure I’ve seen any that do that. It would be nice though, I had to swap from a straw hat to a ball cap when wearing them.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 12:26:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: flcracker] [#6]
Standard OSHA foam plugs + Shokz Bluetooth bone conducting headphones connected to you phone, streaming your favorite FM station/audiobook/podcast/Pandora.

$80 + foamies.

Amazon Product
  • Open-Ear Headphones - Experience unmatched comfort with our lightweight, secure fit, featuring an earbud-free design for all-day listening without ear fatigue.(Rebranded version of AfterShokz OpenMove)

Link Posted: 5/13/2024 1:12:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Freiheit338] [#7]
As stated originally, don't want a Bluetooth solution.  Phone battery life is already a challenge in the sticks with poor cell phone network signal.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 1:46:29 PM EDT
[#8]
FM radio.  Wow.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 1:48:37 PM EDT
[#9]
No music here but use foamy ear plugs and a pair of 27nrr ear muffs.  I use the same setup for shooting.  It works just fine for me.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 1:55:20 PM EDT
[#10]
These were the only behind-the-head hearing protection that seemed to be worth a darn.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0017YEMPM?tag=arfcom00-20
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 2:09:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: flcracker] [#11]
Originally Posted By Freiheit338:
As stated originally, don't want a Bluetooth solution.  Phone battery life is already a challenge in the sticks with poor cell phone network signal.
View Quote

Sorry - I interpreted "don't care about Bluetooth" as meaning you didn't care one way or another, not that you had explicitly ruled it out.

You would think that someone would make a portable radio that transmits via Bluetooth, but I guess radio is too old school for such modernity.

For under $18 with the 40% off coupon, this will give your phone all the battery life you need for a day of mowing.

Shokz + battery pack < $100

FYI - the Shokz are so comfortable, I forget I'm wearing them.

Amazon Product
  • Portable charger adopts the latest Super Charger Protocol and Fast Charger Protocol. Support QC4.0+PD30W super fast charge, it only takes 25 minutes to charge your iPhone 13 from 20% to 68%, which is 3 times faster than most ordinary old power bank 10W portable chargers on the market.

Link Posted: 5/13/2024 2:30:32 PM EDT
[#12]
I bought  cheap bluetooth headphones. It is not easy to hear the music but my ears are not ringing as much after. Not much difference with earbuds.  Bose noise cancelling are pretty good.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 2:58:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Electric/battery mower. Don't solve the symptom, solve the problem.

Or just put in some earbuds wired to your phone and put normal earmuffs over.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 5:43:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 5:45:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 5:50:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 5:55:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: intheburbs] [#17]
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 6:05:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Do you already have some Bluetooth earbuds?  I just wear a pair of $30 muffs, like 28 nrr, but with my earbuds inside the cups to listen to music, podcasts, etc.
View Quote

Will they pick up phone calls? My poor buddy had to walk frm the other side of his property when his mower got stuck. I was wearing regular headphones and didn't hear his call!
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 6:07:57 PM EDT
[#19]
View Quote

This, but with the cheap ass tozo NC9 noise cancelling Earbuds. It's a cheat code, can barely hear the mower even without the music playing.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 6:34:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 8:19:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By mikeyb76:
Electric/battery mower. Don't solve the symptom, solve the problem.

Or just put in some earbuds wired to your phone and put normal earmuffs over.
View Quote
Laughs in mowing six acres.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 8:31:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Gamma762:
These were the only behind-the-head hearing protection that seemed to be worth a darn.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0017YEMPM?tag=arfcom00-20
View Quote

These are the only one's that I have found which I can wear all day with a sun hat. These and a pair cheap wired AirPod knockoffs are my go to.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 8:31:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Kitties-with-Sigs:

I really wish they would make these in bright colors.  I will lose those in the first five minutes and never be able to find them.

Screaming yellow would be great.  Or something with a thin cord to make them cling a little.

There are reading glasses in landscapes all over my county.
View Quote

If you wear ear muffs over them it will catch them when they fall out!

I don't have any issues with mine falling out. The TOZO brand of earbuds are the most comfortable ones I've found at any price range. They just stay.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 8:37:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By flcracker:
Standard OSHA foam plugs + Shokz Bluetooth bone conducting headphones connected to you phone, streaming your favorite FM station/audiobook/podcast/Pandora.

$80 + foamies.

www.amazon.com/dp/B09BVX8ZXF
View Quote

This. Love my Shokz for mowing. I usually wear hard shells over them but foamies work great too.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 9:56:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: eclark53520] [#25]
View Quote

I do not understand why people maintain this much lawn.

Do you actually use it?  Are you running several football/baseball/etc. at the same time?   Seems like a massive waste of time and resources.  

I guess I have other things to spend my time doing other than mowing for several hours.

I don't have any suggestions for  FM only headphones.  That's not really a thing anymore.  Everyone uses bluetooth...
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 1:09:42 AM EDT
[#26]
Shooting range is a big piece of it and the alternative is waist high grass full of wood ticks.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 7:55:57 AM EDT
[#27]
OP, I asked the exact same question here in the HF&G forum a few years back and I got the same answers as above.  I used a cheap pair of 3M muffs with AM and FM for probably 10 years and they were pretty great for what they were.  They finally shit the bed so I bought another pair.  The new pair didn't last more than a year.

As has been mentioned above, the market for someone who wants hearing protection with the ability to listen to AM/FM stations is apparently extremely small and shrinking every day.  I've went to just using foam plugs.  

I was never really interested in the Bluetooth options because of the poor service at my property, the poor battery life on my phone (especially in mowing conditions when it is hot and I'm sweating my butt off) and $.  I do appreciate all of the suggestions above though.  One of these days I may have to give in and start downloading podcasts, purchase some of the noise cancelling buds with BT and purchase an external battery pack, but I really just appreciate the simplicity of an AM/FM head muff setup that I can forget hanging on the shifter knob of the tractor in the barn for a week at a time.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 4:56:22 PM EDT
[#28]
I've been using these for this mowing season (2ish months). They've worked great so far, no issues. They aren't behind the head, but I switched to a ballcap & have no complaints. Can't speak to the long term durability of them.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 5:29:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Sordin neck band maybe?

Sordin
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 6:00:03 PM EDT
[#30]
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005ERRM4G/

I wear these, they're the most effective I've found at noise reduction. Sometimes with plugs underneath. I gave up on the behind-the-head model I linked earlier and just got a much larger size sun hat that will fit over the headband.

There's nothing on local FM radio I want to listen to. If I'm on the tractor I just turn up the radio enough to overcome the noise reduction.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 6:04:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 6:09:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 6:11:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:51:34 PM EDT
[#34]

I really wish they would make these in bright colors.  I will lose those in the first five minutes and never be able to find them.

Screaming yellow would be great.  Or something with a thin cord to make them cling a little.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By drfroglegs:

This, but with the cheap ass tozo NC9 noise cancelling Earbuds. It's a cheat code, can barely hear the mower even without the music playing.

There's a reason a number of my things are spray painted blaze orange, but that only works for sizeable things.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:55:30 PM EDT
[#35]
I like the idea of the bone conducting headset, even if it's Bluetooth only, though the over head 3m ones are really nice for the radio and battery life.  Hard to beat even if I have to wear a ball cap or floppy brim hat.

FM is nice to have, as well a good hat brim.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 12:20:59 AM EDT
[#36]
I just use foamies.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 8:40:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: flcracker] [#37]

Do you like them?  Uxb wants the Shokz because he has hearing loss and we think he might actually hear better though the bone conduction.  He does love quality sound though.

View Quote

I love them.  Extremely comfortable, and my friend who is nearly deaf can hear clearly with them.

Side note for those with limited local radio options - check out the Radio Garden app and listen to thousands of stations around the world.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 12:28:18 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 6:57:22 AM EDT
[#39]
For some reason my Kubota zero turn sounds worse with ear muffs on than without.  Plugs are better though.  It's weird.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 7:03:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mohawk17] [#40]
I've tried just about every brand, including 3M and Isotunes, and these are the best I've found:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08T96D2HB?tag=arfcom00-20

I hate earbuds long term, as they tend to not stay in well once you work up a good sweat. I also don't like having my phone in my pocket while mowing so old school FM is what I rely on instead of Bluetooth to pass the time. These work great for that.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 9:14:42 AM EDT
[#41]
I use foam plugs while running my 26hp zero turn and my head still rings when I turn it off.  I'm sure my tinnitus is just getting worse.

I may need to try plugs and muffs.  I have shunned muffs, because I sweat like crazy.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 9:20:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AJE] [#42]
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 11:11:03 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 11:14:42 PM EDT
[#44]

@drfroglegs

Today I got a package with a Shokz bone conducting headset for uxb, and a set of red Tozo earbuds for me.

I can't get them to speak English.  They speak Chinese.    (I downloaded the app, which demands my location information, which pisses me off, but this is the way of things now so I have to just suck it up.  And....Kitties is not techy).

All this said, I tried the "noise cancelling" feature, and even the hum of the HVAC disappeared.

I'm excited to try them with equipment.

View Quote

I had no desire to use them cutting grass. My parents gave them to me for traveling (flights) but my other tozos were dead so I gave them a shot. I was shocked at how well they drain out the mower sound.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 11:22:13 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By DrMark:
I just use foamies.
View Quote

Jebeesus people this guy and I get it.    Listen to music or whatever, ear plugs or muffs no need for 2 pages here.   Anything else you are just not manly enough, but a slack jawed sissy ass.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 11:34:04 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 8:09:53 AM EDT
[#47]

Some of us don't find it quite that easy.

And..OP doesn't want bluetooth connection.    

View Quote

My 25-cents foamies don't have bluetooth.  
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 8:59:44 AM EDT
[#48]
View Quote
Well, sh*t. Get a goat? Or two?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top