Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:59:26 PM EDT
[#1]
First bit of field fence installed today for the yard
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:22:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice work, OP!  I hope you are enjoying a nice steak and a beer after each of those work days.  You certainly earned the calories...

Subscribed for updates.  Thinking about building my own 14x18 shed since the Amish folk nearby want to rape me at over $40k.  This thread is definitely inspiring me to just go for it.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 1:02:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By CPshooter1:
Nice work, OP!  I hope you are enjoying a nice steak and a beer after each of those work days.  You certainly earned the calories...

Subscribed for updates.  Thinking about building my own 14x18 shed since the Amish folk nearby want to rape me at over $40k.  This thread is definitely inspiring me to just go for it.
View Quote

Youtube has an extensive amount of information if you're looking to learn/want motivation. If you're buying lumber, it can go pretty fast too!

Harvesting and milling is slowing down the process severely for me
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 12:07:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BMSMB] [#4]
I've been commissioned to build a chicken coop for our new feathered friends. The ground is still too wet for me to be pulling trees out and working tractors in front of the sawmill, so I went store bought for this project.

I was reminded a little bit into the project to take pictures... but grabbed some before it got too far along.

I reused some old 6x6 treated posts to make skids, and attached them with some 2x6's. I placed plywood on that and framed the floor. I insulated the floor, as it's not something that I could easily do later if I decided I needed to insulate the whole coop.
Attachment Attached File

Put some 6 mil plastic on top of the insulation, and added another sheet of plywood.
Attachment Attached File

Installed wall frame.
Attachment Attached File

Installed last wall framed for the door.
Attachment Attached File

Put up the sheathing on one wall.
Attachment Attached File

That was it for the day... work will continue tomorrow!
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 8:14:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: Yesterday 12:44:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Work continued today.
I got the other side wall sheathed and installed the rafters:
Attachment Attached File

I then sheathed up the end walls, the roof, and cut the doorway out:
Attachment Attached File

I want to minimize drafts in the coop, so I decided to wrap it in tyvek:
Attachment Attached File

I'm going to put up board and batten siding on this, so that it matches the shed. I don't have enough of it to finish the coop until I can mill more, so im putting it up as needed for now. It was needed for the door hinges:
Attachment Attached File

Did some jobsite cleanup, and let the chickens into their new house:
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: Yesterday 10:23:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: Yesterday 10:55:55 AM EDT
[#8]
I dont have a picture of it, but I drilled some 6" holes on the front and back walls and covered them with wire and screen mesh.
Also planning on putting some smaller ones in the blocker boards on the upper eaves. I figure the bigger ones I can block off in the winter time and the smaller ones should still allow enough ventilation
Link Posted: Yesterday 1:03:08 PM EDT
[#9]
I would header the wall off opposite the door about 6” off the floor.  Cut the 6” space out of your sheathing.  Cut a piece of pressure treated plywood the dimensions of the floor and slide it in.  Then replace the sheathing.  Trim the opening out with a removable panel.  

Then, when its time to clean the coup, you remove the panel, slide the plywood out, shovel and hose it off, then slide it back in.

Clean chicken coup in 10 minutes.  Works great on mine.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Top Top