Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/12/2023 8:09:45 PM EDT
My decision for 6.5 Creedmoor ammo is down to Nosler 142gr Accubond and Federal Terminal Ascent 130gr. Nosler shoots a LITTLE better but I like that the Federal consistently has amazing weight retention and terminal ballistics in testing. I know they are both a premium bonded bullet. Also the Federal TA is significantly cheaper which will allow me to burn a lot more of it practicing and learning my dope. Accuracy is very close and some groups are better with the Federal. Today the Federal shot this 5 shot group at 100 yards. Nothing amazing, 1". But the way it stacked three of them i am feeling it would be fair to call one of them a screw up on my shooting. If i remove the "flyer" that cuts the group down to 0.5". Is that thinking fair? Would this group be acceptable as a starting point for hunting?

Just for comparison this is the 5 shot Nosler group.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 8:12:43 PM EDT
[#1]
I put three touching at 100 with my X-Bolt Speed 6.5 PRC using the Terminal Ascent.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 9:16:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes. Either will be fine.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 9:38:25 PM EDT
[#3]
The real question is are YOU accurate enough for hunting.  Bench trials are nice, but do not reflect any actual hunting.
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 12:20:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes those are gtg. Now shoot off your backpack, shooting sticks and a post…
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 2:39:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SpeyRod:
View Quote

That is the plan. I am sure it will open up a lot. But that is how i shoot gophers. I am not going to zero it or test ammo off shooting stucks if i dont have to. But i know that is how i will be hunting.
Link Posted: 11/18/2023 6:20:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By SpeyRod:
View Quote

I will be out of town for a few weeks so i wont get to range anytime soon. But i often practice in a few diffent position. My best is prone with my pack infront of me. With shooting sticks i often neel and then rest the rifle on the sticks. If i can find a down tree or boulder obviously i prop the rifle and my body on that. Its not ideal but if nothing else i try to use a single shooting stick or small tree where i grab it with my left hand and then rest the front of the rifle on that hand. But i always try to find some kind of rest or brace. Standing off hand shooting is a last resort. I will atleast drop to knee if i have time.

But any tips or advice about improvised shooting positions are always welcome.
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 12:04:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By dana:

I will be out of town for a few weeks so i wont get to range anytime soon. But i often practice in a few diffent position. My best is prone with my pack infront of me. With shooting sticks i often neel and then rest the rifle on the sticks. If i can find a down tree or boulder obviously i prop the rifle and my body on that. Its not ideal but if nothing else i try to use a single shooting stick or small tree where i grab it with my left hand and then rest the front of the rifle on that hand. But i always try to find some kind of rest or brace. Standing off hand shooting is a last resort. I will atleast drop to knee if i have time.

But any tips or advice about improvised shooting positions are always welcome.
View Quote

Sounds like you got it figured out. I have only shot two animals from standing position. One at 20 yds and the other at 40 yds. Everything else has been from the most stable position I could achieve. I prefer prone If I can do it. Seated off of my pack is pretty darn solid.

Good luck!
Top Top