Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/25/2022 8:44:15 PM EDT
How do you get the meat back? Can you put a yeti on a plane with dry ice? Or does the guide offer a shipper service?
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 9:09:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: drobs] [#1]
I flew to Florida 2 years ago and went on a guided hog hunt with my nephew (who is the same age as me). The guide dressed and cut up our hogs. My nephew dropped them off at the game processor. A couple weeks later my Nephew shipped it to me in a foam cooler inside a box with these frozen ice packs:

https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-12762/Insulated-Shippers-and-Supplies/Cold-Packs-48-oz

I tried to tell my nephew just to ship them in a cheap $20 plastic cooler. Naw he probably paid more for the foam cooler.

Hog breakfast sausage is good!!!

Pics:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 4:19:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dave15] [#2]
Bought coolers, zip ties, and duct tape at Walmart.
Deboned meat on tailgate of rental, in motel, etc
( Buy Dollar Store shower curtains)
Couple 2 L bottles of water to freezer as ice blocks

Rotated from fridge to freezer until ALMOST frozen.
Into cooler and off to airport.
Keep duct tape and zip ties with you, they usually want to. Inspect/ check for dry ice. Think dry ice limit is 3# per cooler.

70# weight limit, but a few bucks to skycap works wonders.

I KNOW sooner or later meat will get lost or delayed, but hasn't happened yet.

Killed a moose on a DIY hunt, but drove.
And made a BIG cooler, lol.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 4:36:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Girlieman] [#3]
I'll drive 5000km return to shoot prairie dogs...
No need to bring any meat back unless I stop for bbq along the way.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 12:20:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Hunting AK this summer and OR 2 days later. No time to fuck with meat. I’ll be dropping off at a recommended processor who will steak the prime and bulk the rest. He will ship it to me after my OR hunt. I’ll have my local place process the bulk into sausage and meat sticks. Will be expensive but I don’t have the time to deal with things with only two days between hunts. Some meat processors will ship air freight on carriers who have refrigerated storage. That’s how I got my fish home from AK. Worked out great!
Link Posted: 6/10/2022 6:34:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Flying to Colorado to shoot prairie dogs next month, biggest worry is shipping enough ammo out before we get there.

Driving to Colorado this fall for elk/ deer hunt.  This is much more demanding.  We take 4 wheelers,coolers, tents, etc.  As for meat handling we have several huge coolers, we quarter the animals and bring back home for processing.

Guys that fly to big game hunts must have meat shipped home.
Link Posted: 6/10/2022 6:48:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Fishing story:

By buddy and I drove his van from Tampa to Venice, LA for a tuna charter.  We brought five coolers with us and had to buy five more to bring all the tuna back.
Plenty of ice along the way, then we spent five hours vacuum packaging everything when we got back to his place.
Link Posted: 8/13/2022 10:21:16 PM EDT
[#7]
There are services that haul meat (and taxidermy) to the East coast.  I've used several and the processors/taxidermists usually have a guy they use/trust.  

Several years ago, it wasn't bad.  A couple of hundred dollars got me the processed meat and my taxidermy back.  I'm afraid of what it will be this year - I have a hunt in CO that I am flying to in September.  I always drive to NM in Oct, so that's not an issue.
Top Top